Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austria's got a Russia scandal...
...and I can't stop smiling.

Video surfaced of our vice chancellor and right wing leader promising favors, like public contracts, to a fake russian millionaire in exchange for help to win the last election; said help including potentially illegal party donations.

Yeah, I know, has to sound lame to an American. But back here, that's still a scandal! I hope...

Source. What say you, is this a scandal?

(Will check for answers in a few hours.)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
As long as they don't harm the kangaroos.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Alright. Not gonna lie. This is a disappointing harvest.

...yeah, the kangaroos are doing alright. They always will. Stop worrying about them.
(05-17-2019, 08:37 PM)hollodero Wrote: Alright. Not gonna lie. This is a disappointing harvest.

...yeah, the kangaroos are doing alright. They always will. Stop worrying about them.

Aye, mate!  Just grab ya a couple of Foster's Lagers, and throw some shrimp on the barbi.  Everything will be alright.   Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-17-2019, 08:37 PM)hollodero Wrote: Alright. Not gonna lie. This is a disappointing harvest.

I tried but it has nothing to do with Trump so it's going to die. I will say those folks have some funny names. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-17-2019, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Aye, mate!  Just grab ya a couple of Foster's Lagers, and throw some shrimp on the barbi.  Everything will be alright.   Cool

My daughter was pretty concerned the other day with getting Austria to change their name because "Austria would make a great nickname for Australia." 
First, I don't think there actually was a meeting. And if there was a meeting, I'm pretty sure they were just talking about adoptions. But, if they weren't talking about adoptions, then there weren't talking about money. Okay, they were talking about money. But that's not illegal, okay?
(05-17-2019, 03:42 PM)hollodero Wrote: ...and I can't stop smiling.

Video surfaced of our vice chancellor and right wing leader promising favors, like public contracts, to a fake russian millionaire in exchange for help to win the last election; said help including potentially illegal party donations.

Yeah, I know, has to sound lame to an American. But back here, that's still a scandal! I hope...

This is all over Europe. Crazy things to say that 20 years ago Russia was the communist lead and now they are the far right lead all over the world. 

And people like that. That arrogance, that hate towards anyone, this is crazy times.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(05-17-2019, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Aye, mate!  Just grab ya a couple of Foster's Lagers, and throw some shrimp on the barbi.  Everything will be alright.   Cool

OK. This is no laughing matter. Foster's is seriously a disgusting brew and you should never suggest me having one. Ever.
(05-17-2019, 09:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I tried but it has nothing to do with Trump so it's going to die. I will say those folks have some funny names. 

OK I'd say is has a little bit to do with Trump.

Because our Russian friend probably has to step down within the hour, while yours gets to say fake news and enemy of the people.
(05-18-2019, 01:54 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: First, I don't think there actually was a meeting.  And if there was a meeting, I'm pretty sure they were just talking about adoptions.  But, if they weren't talking about adoptions, then there weren't talking about money.  Okay, they were talking about money. But that's not illegal, okay?

Don't forget "the real crime happened on the other side", what about the other side, this is all dirty campaigning orchestrated by the Austrian people's enemies to distract fromi all the good work that happens.

Our guy tries to pull a Trump right now. But gladly, the Austrian people obviously are not having it. Guy's done.

Looks like Strache is gone, as of today.  Hoefer replaces him?
(05-18-2019, 06:02 PM)Dill Wrote: Looks like Strache is gone, as of today.  Hoefer replaces him?

Norbert Hofer will replace him, but only intermediary. We will see new elections within a few months. Our conservatives for once did the right and decent thing and declared that governance done.
(05-18-2019, 07:26 AM)hollodero Wrote: Don't forget "the real crime happened on the other side", what about the other side, this is all dirty campaigning orchestrated by the Austrian people's enemies to distract fromi all the good work that happens.

Our guy tries to pull a Trump right now. But gladly, the Austrian people obviously are not having it. Guy's done.

Well, you're one up on us.

Currently, the US mindset is: 
1- You can't prove my guy did it because he didn't do it.
2- If he did do it, that's not what he meant.
3- OK, he did it and he meant it, but it's still better than what your guy would have done.

It happens on both sides, and until both sides hold folks accountable, it's not likely to change.
(05-20-2019, 11:33 AM)Benton Wrote: Well, you're one up on us.

Currently, the US mindset is: 
1- You can't prove my guy did it because he didn't do it.
2- If he did do it, that's not what he meant.
3- OK, he did it and he meant it, but it's still better than what your guy would have done.

It happens on both sides, and until both sides hold folks accountable, it's not likely to change.

You forgot, "So he did it, but it's not illegal, so what's everyone all excited about anyway."

It's a little confusing for me.  She offered to buy half of the newspaper and switch its content to favor his party?  Is that the help with elections?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-20-2019, 11:33 AM)Benton Wrote: 3- OK, he did it and he meant it, but it's still better than what your guy would have done.

Well, we have more than two guys, that sure helps. One doesn't have to change into the leftist camp - or necessarily entertain that feeling - by letting that guy fall.
I see that as a huge advantage of a multiple party landscape.

(05-20-2019, 11:36 AM)Dill Wrote: You forgot, "So he did it, but it's not illegal, so what's everyone all excited about anyway."

That phrase does actually exist. It's just not that many people who say so. But sure, some are still faithful (probably has to do with a sense of Nibelung loyalty) and say things like this one - or, which really is quite bizarre, "now more than ever!"

But they are too few to prevent the collapse. Thankfully so.
Forget about the Russins.

You have to immediately start investigating the people who broke the story. They are the REAL threat.
(05-20-2019, 11:45 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It's a little confusing for me.  She offered to buy half of the newspaper and switch its content to favor his party?  Is that the help with elections?

Besides other things, yes. To understand the significance of that one would need to know how powerful said newspaper is - I guess they hold the world record regarding circulation within a certain nation. Having influence there is a huge power factor in that sad pathetic country of mine. So they talked about that quite bluntly, that afterwards some critical journalists had to be thrashed and whatnot. Then they even implied privatizing our national public TV channel and expose it to the Russian lady's influence... which, well, doesn't play too well with folks either. He openly named Hungary and Victor Orban's way to handle the media (having it bought and hence preventing critical journalism) as a role model, which also is quite scrutinizing.

Lady also offered donations to the party, which is a bit trickier here than one from the US would probably assume. That kind of thing is strictly regulated and surveilled, and the implication that a donation could circumvent that is a big deal - especially since our fallen guy implied that's what other secret donors (he named names) are already doing. This probably will lead to a criminal investigation.

As service in return for her investments (she implied quite heftily it might be illegal money), fake lady was offered to get public contracts after the election. They even talked privatizing the rights for our water, which is a huge no-no in this country. You do not sell our water, which we consider a valuable national ressource for the future (which isn't unreasonable).

More and more bizarre details see the day of light within the hour, but I guess they would bore you even more. So be warned, further questions might lead to extensive answers :)
(05-20-2019, 01:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Forget about the Russins.

You have to immediately start investigating the people who broke the story.  They are the REAL threat.

That's what the "now more than ever" folks are also saying.

And sure enough, it is quite a dirty trick and it needed quite the preparation. There were follow up meetings arranged as well, so this is not an amateur job and demanded considerable ressources. Speculatuions who is behind that grow wild - but again, thankfully most people still get that no matter the dirtiness, our fallen vice chancellor still wasn't forced to say what he said in any way.

At one point, he even gets suspicious and smells a trap --- but his companion assures him it isn't. His attest that the fake Russian lady is really hot probably helped overcome the hesitation.