Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austria to close seven mosques
(06-08-2018, 01:24 PM)hollodero Wrote: I figured... I still wanted to point out that we're still a democratic nation of laws :)

Over the last few years there have been multiple cases of lawsuits, threats, and vandalism being used in attempts to close mosques or prevent new ones from being built in the United States.  I am most familiar with the one here in Mufreesboro Tennessee, but there have been others across the country.
(06-08-2018, 12:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: But you're not actually teaching of that with a ban. You're teaching them that their religious leaders claims that their ways are under attack are then vindicated. 

You need the actual outreach component where you explain to them the benefits of a free and open society to them and you find ways to make them understand that they're not going to be persecuted for their religion. Make them want to remove the hijab if they feel like they need to.

I think a ban like that is more suited for the long term than the immediate short term. I understand what you are saying as it is the idealistic approach, but too often an approach like that just falls to deaf ears. And the girls wont remove their scarfs because of fear of repercussion from their father or maybe mother even.

I think it is a good thing though from an academic perspective. Do the ban, and see how it plays out over the next ten to twenty years. Study the 'results' so to speak, and learn from it one way or the other. But ultimately I am on the side that if someone immigrates into a different culture, then they should have to adhere to that culture while keeping some of their traditions, mainly their foods. Because I love ethnic cuisine.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
A very interesting development.  I'd be very interested to see what our resident apologist has to say about it.
I don't know if anyone's interested, but some new details have emerged during the weekend. It obviously was a guy who's official title I cannot translate, but who casually spoken is the boss of Austria's islamic community, that filed the charge against six of the seven mosques and the organization that run it. More or less in a solo effort, of course citing reasons that are not that easy to proof.

He's Turkish and close to Erdogan's people, while the six mosques/the organization behind it were Arabic. So obvioulsy we have an innerislamic conflict at our hands, with the government willingly take up any (again, possibly questionable) complaints to close down mosques. While unwittingly (which is the best word to describe our government to begin with) helping Erdogan's fraction gaining way more influence over the islamic community, which I feel very uneasy about.

Same guy that filed charges of course publicly cried false tears and attacked the decision. What a weasel.

So, if you want to celebrate the decision because of terror prevention or some similar reason, you might reconsider a bit. It's intrigue. And some very one-dimensional government officials willingly jumping at the opportunity. I don't think that's too good.
(06-11-2018, 12:43 PM)hollodero Wrote: I don't know if anyone's interested, but some new details have emerged during the weekend.

All that and taking second at Roland Garros. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]