Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Austrian attack
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54788613

I thought Hollodero lived in or around Vienna, but I'm not positive. I believe one of the best contributors to this forum. Sorry to hear about this.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Best wishes to Hollo, his family, and all the innocent citizens of Austria .
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Lots of radical Islam inspired terrorism going on in Europe right now, you have to wonder at the timing of it. Hope Hollodero and everyone else in Österreich is safe.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Lots of radical Islam inspired terrorism going on in Europe right now, you have to wonder at the timing of it.  Hope Hollodero and everyone else in Österreich is safe.

I know what that means.  Four years of German wasn't wasted on me.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Thanks guys. Yeah everyone I know is fine. As for everyone else, there are four dead and 22 wounded, some of them severely.

Didn't happen in my immediate neighbourhood, but sure close enough. Kinda spooky, must have walked those streets a hundred times.

Regarding the immediate timing, yesterday was the last evening before a partial lockdown due to sharply rising Corona cases. So it was the last day with lots of people outside. Some connected the timing to the US elections, but I think that is uncalled for.

Whole city was more or less locked down during the night. Lots of sirens, some screaming. As far as I can tell, not so much deep shock though. Most people didn't think about terror, but to many it was clear that Vienna, being a melting pot and a town of much international politics, is a potential target. One thing about Viennese people, they are resilient. We will not be afraid or give into the fear.

Thanks also to Trump and Biden for finding kind words for our country and our people in these times.

There's still a chance that there are attackers on the loose, but it probably was just one 20-year-old guy that got shot by police. While carrying a rifle, a gun, a machete, a fake explosive belt, and loads of ammunition. He was an Austrian citizen with dual citizenship (other was Macedonian). Already was known for trying to join ISIS and had made it to Syria back then already. Was released from jail and believed to have "re-integrated into society", which, well, was the BS it appears to be.

Sure this will cause a sharp shift to the right in my country, and though I will certainly not turn right wing that assessment doesn't exclude me. Ideas like taking the guns from police and rehabilitate everyone, being all welcoming to all kinds of potential extremists and other left's left ideas prove to be naive rubbish in these times.
What I'm glad about in many ways, a person with migration background kinda heroically saved a wounded policeman. We need to be tough, tougher on all forms of extremism that often gets tolerated, but we don't need to deploy any kind of collective guilt towards migrants or muslims. That was a good reminder of that.

Thanks to everyone posting again for your kindness.
Reply/Quote
Glad to know all is well with you; keep vigilant and never stop eating Knodel!

(11-03-2020, 12:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I know what that means.  Four years of German wasn't wasted on me.  

Thanks to F1, I know it too Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 01:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Glad to know all is well with you; keep vigilant and never stop eating Knodel!

Doing that would surely mean the terrorists win. Yeah, to be honest though I do not like most Knödel. Most often it's slimy dough put around some nasty ingredients, possibly so no one can see them in advance.

I will, however, go out on the streets even more this coming days and weeks, as far as it's allowed and reasonable in Covid times. Because screw those terrorists.

That's pretty Austrian, when we're pissed we're not afraid. One of the first videos appearing shows a person leaning out of his window to tell the terrorist to "get lost, asshole" (which sounds way better in German). As for staying vigilant, I don't quite know how to do that. I won't change a thing in my everyday behaviour.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:06 PM)hollodero Wrote: Doing that would surely mean the terrorists win. Yeah, to be honest though I do not like most Knödel. Most often it's slimy dough put around some nasty ingredients, possibly so no one can see them in advance.

I will, however, go out on the streets even more this coming days and weeks, as far as it's allowed and reasonable in Covid times. Because screw those terrorists.

That's pretty Austrian, when we're pissed we're not afraid. One of the first videos appearing shows a person leaning out of his window to tell the terrorist to "get lost, asshole" (which sounds way better in German). As for staying vigilant, I don't quite know how to do that. I won't change a thing in my everyday behaviour.

Is it this or did GT let me down again?
Arschloch verloren gehen

Reply/Quote
The scary thing about this kind of attack is it’s not very complicated, and if the terrorist doesn’t talk about it, it’s virtually impossible to prevent unless the particular person is already being watched.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Is it this or did GT let me down again?
Arschloch verloren gehen

You got the first word right, the rest is quite wrong. First off, you need to conjugate the verb, in this case use an imperative, but well Americans don't know what that all even means.
You also got the wrong verb, you translated it to losing something.

The formal German version would be someting like "Verschwinde, Arschloch!"... in Austrian, the words were "Schleich di, Oarschloch!", akin to creep away, asshole.

(11-03-2020, 02:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The scary thing about this kind of attack is it’s not very complicated, and if the terrorist doesn’t talk about it, it’s virtually impossible to prevent unless the particular person is already being watched.

Very true. Smallest of points, but one tiny chance is catching him while getting the weapons. It's not quite that easy to get your hands on a rifle here, though of course it's far from impossible.

Also, this guy should have been watched. He wanted to join freaking ISIS (and probably did).
Reply/Quote
That wasn’t me doing the translating. Google translate blows. I guess it could get you by in a pinch, but it really doesn’t seem to come close.

And I know what an imperative is. LOL

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:50 PM)hollodero Wrote: You got the first word right, the rest is quite wrong. First off, you need to conjugate the verb, in this case use an imperative, but well Americans don't know what that all even means.

The formal German version would be someting like "Verschwinde, Arschloch!"... in Austrian, the words were "Schleich di, Oarschloch!", akin to creep away, asshole.

Very true. Smallest of points, but one tiny chance is catching him while getting the weapons. It's not quite that easy to get your hands on a rifle here, though of course it's far from impossible.

Also, this guy should have been watched. He wanted to join freaking ISIS (and probably did).

True I imagine obtaining the weapon and ammunition could possibly expose him. Even here that’s a possibility.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 03:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That wasn’t me doing the translating. Google translate blows. I guess it could get you by in a pinch, but it really doesn’t seem to come close.

Well, you got the asshole translation right, which is the important part really :)

(11-03-2020, 03:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And I know what an imperative is. LOL

Well color me stunned.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 01:32 PM)hollodero Wrote: Thanks guys. Yeah everyone I know is fine. As for everyone else, there are four dead and 22 wounded, some of them severely.

Didn't happen in my immediate neighbourhood, but sure close enough. Kinda spooky, must have walked those streets a hundred times.

I have a friend in Vienna; inconsequence, I got a Facebook note asking me click whether I'm ok, yes or no, after the attack. (Never been to Vienna.)

So a Palestinian saved a policeman's life?  But previously they wouldn't let him buy a house in Noe. Weikendorf? 
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:50 PM)hollodero Wrote: You got the first word right, the rest is quite wrong. First off, you need to conjugate the verb, in this case use an imperative, but well Americans don't know what that all even means.

Haut ab Arshloch!   That works, don't it?  Maybe stick a "Du" in there too. 

And WATCH OUT! We do have the imperative Hollo; we just don't waste school kids time forcing them to learn a different verb/pronoun forms.  9Hence the need for all caps.)
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:50 PM)Dill Wrote: Haut ab Arshloch!   That works, don't it?  Maybe stick a "Du" in there too. 

Nope it does not work, for you picked a verb in plural for a noun in singular. It's 'Hau ab, Arschloch' (or hau ab, du Arschloch, the "du" is quite effective here) for one person, 'Haut ab, [ihr] Arschlöcher' for multiple persons.

Viennese people mainly use "schleich di[ch]" for "hau ab".

I did not quite figure this thread would end with me giving German grammar lessons on the basis of the word "Arschloch". But so it goes.

(11-03-2020, 11:50 PM)Dill Wrote: And WATCH OUT! We do have the imperative Hollo;

I can clearly see that.

(11-03-2020, 11:50 PM)Dill Wrote: we just don't waste school kids time forcing them to learn a different verb/pronoun forms.  9Hence the need for all caps.)

I get it. They need time to sing the anthem five times a day, after all.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 10:08 AM)hollodero Wrote: I get it. They need time to sing the anthem five times a day, after all.

Just four is how the communists win.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 10:08 AM)hollodero Wrote: Nope it does not work, for you picked a verb in plural for a noun in singular. It's 'Hau ab, Arschloch' (or hau ab, du Arschloch, the "du" is quite effective here) for one person, 'Haut ab, [ihr] Arschlöcher' for multiple persons.

I did not quite figure this thread would end with me giving German grammar lessons on the basis of the word "Arschloch". But so it

I can clearly see that.

We are still a very young country. Easily distracted.

Reply/Quote
So what are things like there today? I guess you were entering a Covid lockdown so I’m assuming pretty quiet?

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2020, 10:08 AM)hollodero Wrote: Nope it does not work, for you picked a verb in plural for a noun in singular. It's 'Hau ab, Arschloch' (or hau ab, du Arschloch, the "du" is quite effective here) for one person, 'Haut ab, [ihr] Arschlöcher' for multiple persons.

I did not quite figure this thread would end with me giving German grammar lessons on the basis of the word "Arschloch". But so it goes.

I can clearly see that.

Makes our  country GREAT!   Wink
Reply/Quote