Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awfully quiet today
(02-15-2019, 11:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do you think the OSU DC would turn down an interview with the Patriots?

Do you think Grantham would turn down an offer from the Patriots as their DC?

Are we the Ptriots?  Do we have six Lombardies?

Is anybody but the Patriots the Patriots? 

What kind of a silly question is that?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:28 PM)McC Wrote: Are we the Ptriots?  Do we have six Lombardies?

Is anybody but the Patriots the Patriots? 

What kind of a silly question is that?

Unfortunately we don't even have 6 playoff wins in franchise history.

Do you think these guys would turn down interviews with the Steelers?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So that's a No. They'd accept the Patriots interview.

Do you think these guys would turn down interviews with the Steelers?

So, the answer is no, you won't dial it back.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:32 PM)McC Wrote: So, the answer is no, you won't dial it back.

Do you think they'd turn down interviews with the Seahawks?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:05 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I guess there are degrees of being turned down. Some are, "if things were different I'd be interested" compared to "not interested". But both are declines though.

Bengals mistake may have been to let it be known who they are interviewing. Maybe saying, "we're interviewing a number of candidates and we'll announce our decision when we reach one" might have been a better approach. Who wants to be the 15th guy on the list?

They should just cut Burfict and hire him as DC and be done with it. Of course, he might say no too.  Ninja

Twitter is the biggest problem in all of this. I alluded to it in another thread on the ZT subforum. With the way things are now, you can't hire your 3rd or 4th chance because of the info leaks. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 08:51 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Twitter is the biggest problem in all of this. I alluded to it in another thread on the ZT subforum. With the way things are now, you can't hire your 3rd or 4th chance because of the info leaks. 

The guy that actually takes the job now will be considered as the one the Bengals were forced to settle. Geez.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 09:48 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: The guy that actually takes the job now will be considered as the one the Bengals were forced to settle. Geez.

If we get a Rex Ryan or John Fox out of this, I completely disagree.

Now, if the head coach of East Mississippi State JC leaves Scooba and comes here, yes. Then we were forced to settle.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:15 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: If we get a Rex Ryan or John Fox out of this, I completely disagree.

Now, if the head coach of East Mississippi State JC leaves Scooba and comes here, yes. Then we were forced to settle.

In perception, whoever comes here now will be at minimum, the 9th or 10th option. Who wants to take a job knowing you were that far down on the list? It’s similar to h.s. Gym class when the skinny kid with no skills and thick glasses gets picked last because neither team wanted him. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:28 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: In perception, whoever comes here now will be at minimum, the 9th or 10th option. Who wants to take a job knowing you were that far down on the list? It’s similar to h.s. Gym class when the skinny kid with no skills and thick glasses gets picked last because neither team wanted him. Mellow

True.  But the guy will still be one of only 32 in the world, so there is that...

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:15 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: If we get a Rex Ryan or John Fox out of this, I completely disagree.

Bengals to interview Luthor Van Dam of the Minnesota St. Univ. Screaming Eagles.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:28 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: In perception, whoever comes here now will be at minimum, the 9th or 10th option. Who wants to take a job knowing you were that far down on the list? It’s similar to h.s. Gym class when the skinny kid with no skills and thick glasses gets picked last because neither team wanted him. Mellow

I still think we can get someone decent, we just can't settle for known mediocrity.

We're not going to pull a DC from another team or a college DC from a big program. We should look outside of that list.

Who would settling be? A guy like Marquand Manual.

Not really sure why they haven't just hired Aubrey Pleasant.
Reply/Quote

No doubt, we won't know till the dude is here if we settled or not.

But panicking would be worse than settling in all honesty. We have lots of good players on Defense for a defensive mind to work with contrary to some people's beliefs on here. The Linebackers are the problem and if we get a good Linebacker coach it might be the most underrated hire.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals to interview Luthor Van Dam of the Minnesota St. Univ. Screaming Eagles.   Ninja

Haha. I was going to make that joke last night!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, we won't know till the dude is here if we settled or not.

But panicking would be worse than settling in all honesty. We have lots of good players on Defense for a defensive mind to work with contrary to some people's beliefs on here. The Linebackers are the problem and if we get a good Linebacker coach it might be the most underrated hire.

Agreed. We can't panick.
Reply/Quote
Lets just all relax until the announcement has been made, there are going to be lots of bullshit stories about why this coach and that coach said no.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals to interview Luthor Van Dam of the Minnesota St. Univ. Screaming Eagles.   Ninja

I’d take it if Dauber comes with him. Probably won’t happen tho because Dauber is still under contract with Spongebob, and, well, Luther is dead. Although, it has been rumored that Kelly had extensive involvement in the defense for the Orlando Breakers, who was trained by LVD. She was also asst special teams coach.

A reliable team source has informed me that Kelly was the original top candidate for the DC position, but the team veered away from interviews with her do to the affair between her and Katie several years ago. Even though the two have spoken and agreed they could have a professional working relationship, Troy was uneasy about the whole idea.

Now that the team has found themselves in the current situation, another reliable team source informed me that the idea is back on the table. According to Katie, she has a brilliant mind who has always coached “tight in coverage and closing the gap.”

Kelly could be our hidden gem.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 09:48 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: The guy that actually takes the job now will be considered as the one the Bengals were forced to settle. Geez.

The Colts "settled" on Frank Reich after Josh McDaniels left them at the altar. 

Who cares about perception as long as we get the right guy? (Assuming it's the right guy and not a low quality guy just to fill the spot)
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 10:05 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: Lets just all relax until the announcement has been made, there are going to be lots of bullshit stories about why this coach and that coach said no.

It's not the stories that are alarming (to me). It's the fact that we've been linked to 10 candidates and we're still waiting, 2 weeks later. We're on the same timeline as the Dolphins, and Flores filled all his spots almost immediately. We look like a disorganized mess in comparison. Now we're just over a week until the combine, so you have to wonder if they'll settle just to fill the spot before then.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 01:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Colts "settled" on Frank Reich after Josh McDaniels left them at the altar. 

Who cares about perception as long as we get the right guy? (Assuming it's the right guy and not a low quality guy just to fill the spot)

If they go get Mike Nolan, it'll be the right guy.  Since he's now working as a LB coach, he's already proven he can be on a staff without having to be the boss.

I think Rex could be the right guy too but there would be some element of risk involved.  But I gotta admit, there is a side of me that would love to see some of Rex's wacky defenses confusing the hell outa offenses.  Remember the one where every lineman is casually standing at the LOS until the snap.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 01:52 PM)McC Wrote: If they go get Mike Nolan, it'll be the right guy.  Since he's now working as a LB coach, he's already proven he can be on a staff without having to be the boss.

I think Rex could be the right guy too but there would be some element of risk involved.  But I gotta admit, there is a side of me that would love to see some of Rex's wacky defenses confusing the hell outa offenses.  Remember the one where every lineman is casually standing at the LOS until the snap.

The big question is that after say candidate 3 or 4 falls through, why not go get Nolan then if he's the right guy?

He was linked to us pretty early in the process although I don't know officially.

I wonder if Rex Ryan even wants to be a DC.

I'm a Miami Hurricanes fan and when they needed a coach, some of the former players were pushing for him to be the HC.
Reply/Quote