[Image: 11367375.jpeg?1443735074]

DARRON LEE/ OLB
[Image: darron-lee-ohio-state-615-255.jpg]

CODY WHITEHAIR/ OG
[Image: cody_whitehair.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Man, I don't know. There are a number of players here that are hard to pass up.
Ok fine... FINE, I'll take this one..

Yes
Reply/Quote
What?  You mean we only get one selection?? 

Honestly, I'd be happy with just about any of them.  But, I went with my instinct, and took the LB.  Darron Lee.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would be happy with any of these guys. But here goes.

Defense: Just looking at the importance of positions, I'd put Jackson at the top of the list. I don't know if Dre has shown enough that we would sign him for what he's going to want, and NFL defenses are built around the CB position. Second most important position represented is DE. That would be Dodd. But beware of one-year wonders. Billings is very tempting. NT is not as important as CB or DE, unless you're talking about Haloti Ngata. Is Billings going to be another Haloti Ngata? Maybe. Lee is the highest rated on most sites I have visited, but we've already got the best WILL in the NFL and I don't know that Lee is physical enough to play SAM. He is actually my last choice among this group.

Offense: Man I would love an upgrade at center. Kelly is a stud, a proven winner, and a local boy. Whitehair is very highly rated and can play multiple positions. Either one of those would help us in the trenches, no doubt. But can we really afford to pass on Doctson? Wide receiver is our most obvious need. You can over think these things.

OK, I have stalled long enough. Doctson -- and hope for Martin in the 2nd and Washington in the 3rd.

Now if I knew we could get Shepard in the second….
Reply/Quote
Passing league. Eifert is brittle. AJ Green isnt a God. Andy had his best season with multiple options to throw too.

Peko goes down sims fills in. AJ or Lafell go down. Tate fills in... You gotta be shitting me. Maybe we can get greg little back...
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 08:53 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Passing league. Eifert is brittle. AJ Green isnt a God. Andy had his best season with multiple options to throw too.

Peko goes down sims fills in. AJ or Lafell go down. Tate fills in... You gotta be shitting me. Maybe we can get greg little back...

...or a WR we pick up in the later  rounds. As receiving options go this team currently has  AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Gio Bernard, Brandon LaFell; the cupboard is not bare.  We are looking to replace a 3rd and 5th rd WR, To point to it as a must in the first is not the best draft strategy. 

There is a good chance WR is the best option here, but I do stress the word option. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Vernon Butler, and CincyJungle agrees with me:

Quote:Laquon Treadwell, Vernon Butler and Andrew Billings are the three guys I think the Bengals have the best chance of taking in the first round. I could also get on board with Darron Lee or a corner. Aside from Treadwell, however, I wouldn't take a wide receiver in the first round. I fully believe Brandon LaFell will be the Bengals' number two receiver this season, whether they draft a rookie wideout in Round 1 or not. Personally, I'd like to see Butler come in and push for rotational snaps on the defensive line, eventually making a case to be the team's long-term starter at nose tackle.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I love Billings, and yet I think he might be one of the weakest choices here, as I think he'd be on the sideline on passing downs.

Roll a six sided die and hope for the best.(sorry, Whitehair).

Doctson would have the most immediate impact, but is he better than Lee, Kelly, or Jackson? Dodd was effective across from Lawson in college, but I'm not sure he's a blue chip talent.

So tough...
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 08:53 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Passing league. Eifert is brittle. AJ Green isnt a God. Andy had his best season with multiple options to throw too.

To be fair, if the Patriots were to lose two receivers, they'd probably take a lineman in the 1st and replace the receivers with UDFAs. Good teams don't seem to panic pick in the first round.
Reply/Quote
I went pass rush. I think with the LaFell signing we can wait on WR until 2 or 3, Dodd would be our MJ93 replacement.

I am intrigued by Doctson, Billings and Kelly, though.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 09:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...or a WR we pick up in the later  rounds. As receiving options go this team currently has  AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Gio Bernard, Brandon LaFell; the cupboard is not bare.  We are looking to replace a 3rd and 5th rd WR, To point to it as a must in the first is not the best draft strategy. 

There is a good chance WR is the best option here, but I do stress the word option. 

34 catches 355 yards is what we got combined from MJ and Sanu their rookie year. So we could go the same route in the draft again this year. And take guys later in the draft who are going later in the draft for a reason. And if/when our offense falls off we will all know the reason. Guys go early for a reason. Doesnt always work out. But its generally accepted the higher you go at WR the quicker you should be able to contribute.

Lafell was cut. By one of the best teams in the league that has a shallow WR corps. MLJ got the biggest WR contract in free agency and Sanu got paid very well. Lafell was there as we searched the bargain bin. According to the guys who pay NFL players we lost a lot more than we gained.

Deep DT class. Shallow WR class.

If Michael Thomas, Doctson, and depending how i feel that day Treadwell are off the board when we pick at 24. Fine. Go with another position.

We dont have a glaring need other than WR. We have some depth issues that need attention. But not the kind that scream we have to spend a first to address it. Its a unique position. Because we already have one of the best WRs in the game. Now we have a need at WR and an opportunity to pass on other positions in the draft and not hurt the team while potentially creating the best WR duo in the league. I say go for it.

AJ
LaFell
Alford

Tate
O
Kumerow
M
Wright
G

Higher chance of hitting on a draft pick the earlier they get taken. We need the best chance we can get of bolstering that WR depth.

Who would you feel good about trotting out there in a 3 WR set? And if AJ twists an ankle?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 11:08 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: To be fair, if the Patriots were to lose two receivers, they'd probably take a lineman in the 1st and replace the receivers with UDFAs. Good teams don't seem to panic pick in the first round.

The Patriots have a HoF QB that just puts the team on his back and carries them. I havent been impressed by their drafting. They hit sure and have plenty of misses. But they get veteran discount free agents that fortify the team every year. Guys chasing championships that arent all about money.

If we had a bonafide HoF QB and HoF head coach with some championships and a revolutionary cheating department maybe we could ignore need. But Dalton is not yet one of the greatest of all time. And Marvin doesnt out coach other teams very often.

They had a need on the DL and took an injury question mark DL in the first round in 2014. He just got cut. And they drafted another DL in the first in 2015. And they signed two pretty solid veteran free agents who play DL just this year. And one last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 09:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...or a WR we pick up in the later  rounds. As receiving options go this team currently has  AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Gio Bernard, Brandon LaFell; the cupboard is not bare.  We are looking to replace a 3rd and 5th rd WR, To point to it as a must in the first is not the best draft strategy. 

Just saw an interesting tidbit. Doctson had a better 10 and 20 yard split than your boy the burner kolby listenbee.

Just something about him being 29 at then end of his contract scares me. He was my fav til i found out he was 24 and my OSU homerism kicked in hardcore on Thomas. But Doctson is growing on me again.

Didnt realize Vernon Butler was a youngin as well. Only 21
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 08:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What?  You mean we only get one selection?? 

Honestly, I'd be happy with just about any of them.  But, I went with my instinct, and took the LB.  Darron Lee.

Same here. It was hard passing up Billings though. And Doctson.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
We're going WJIII, I gauranteeee. We've seen this movie before and it's the CB with the candlestick in the green room.
Reply/Quote
No matter what we do we really need to restock our Dline within the first 3 rounds of the draft and probably another pick in the last 4 rounds as well. Our defense thrives off of a deep Dline rotation.
Reply/Quote
So frickin hard for me to make a decision here. I would love it if we picked up Billings, Doctson, Lee or even Dodd
since we need another pass rusher badly. But in the end i went with Ryan Kelly, getting the best Center in this Draft
would help our team more than anything.

Billings would probably be on the sideline in passing situations early but he is my favorite DT and i would hate for us
to pass him up. Cry

Doctson would be great for us with his ability to high point the ball alongside AJ and Eifert. Cry

Lee would be that athletic LB we have needed for so long. Cry

Dodd would help us out and would be an upgrade over Gilberry. We would keep our DE rotation strong. Cry

Love Whitehair's versatility. Cry

But in the end i think Kelly helps us out the most and makes our OL tops in the league if Og and Fisher pan out. Rock On

Doubt we go this route, i bet we take Doctson or Jackson III and would also be happy. Cool
Reply/Quote
Hard to choose between Doctson and Billings, but I went with Doctson.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Give me Docston. I truly think he's going to be a special player in this league. He'd be a perfect compliment to Green and gives us pretty sure hands. We've needed a possession receiver. We were hoping Sanu would become that but with time and more reps, he seemed tonhave had a drop issue. Docston doesn't have that problem. And he goes up and fights for the ball at it's highest point.

Billings is a very close 2nd to me. But right now I'd take Docston. If we had kept Marvin or Sanu my answer would be Billings.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
If I had to guess what the Bengals would do, it would be Jackson. Even though of that group, Dodd would probably be the highest rated, Jackson had 28 PBUs last year alone (I think) and they hedge their bets against Dre Kirk hitting Free Agency.

I could see the WR coming in the second and maybe also in the fourth.

The one guy that I don't see them drafting is Kelly. Maybe if somehow he slipped to third round, but he is not as highly ranked as a prospect as many others and just because Bodine has been the weak link doesn't mean you reach for a player that could be no upgrade. I would rather see a guy like Nick Martin as a player that can get stronger and have (potentially) a higher ceiling if he is there in Round 3.
Reply/Quote