Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BJ Finney released
Bengals have released OL Bj Finney. Finney was part of the Dunlap trade. He played 1 game and spent the rest of his time on the team on the COVID list or injured. The team now got nothing for Dunlap

This move saves 3.3 million against the cap

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
That’s not true...they still got a 6th or 7th round pick, didn’t they? I mean, that’s a fair trade for a player like Carlos (sarcasm).
Reply/Quote
Don’t forget that 7th round pick!

But ya, Los for a 7th round pick, ouch!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 12:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Don’t forget that 7th round pick!

But ya, Los for a 7th round pick, ouch!

Housh was a 7th rounder... Just gotta pick smart...

Getting rid of a malcontent player though is generally worth it.
Reply/Quote
I never understood why Finney was included in the deal if the Bengals never intended to give him a chance.
Rather than take on Finney's $1.5 mill cap hit for 2020, they could have just rolled that money over to 2021.
Oh well, not a surprising cut regardless after the Bengals never used him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 12:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I never understood why Finney was included in the deal if the Bengals never intended to give him a chance.
Rather than take on Finney's $1.5 mill cap hit for 2020, they could have just rolled that money over to 2021.

Or got a 5th or 6th.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 12:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I never understood why Finney was included in the deal if the Bengals never intended to give him a chance.

It was likely to have been a balancing move from the Seahawks so they had the cap space/cash to take on Dunlap's salary. Rather than giving Seattle cash, the Bengals took on one of Seattle's contracts for the rest of the year, but it was one that the Bengals could get out of at the end of the year without any dead money.

Had the Bengals just cut Dunlap they'd have been on the hook for his full salary for the rest of the season as it becomes guaranteed for the season once he's on the roster week 1. This way they saved some money and got a 7th round pick.
Reply/Quote

Because the Seahawks wanted his salary (which I believe was guaranteed at the time) off their cap in order to make the money part of the Dunlap trade work.

It was purely a money move for both teams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 12:38 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: It was likely to have been a balancing move from the Seahawks so they had the cap space/cash to take on Dunlap's salary. Rather than giving Seattle cash, the Bengals took on one of Seattle's contracts for the rest of the year, but it was one that the Bengals could get out of at the end of the year without any dead money.

Had the Bengals just cut Dunlap they'd have been on the hook for his full salary for the rest of the season as it becomes guaranteed for the season once he's on the roster week 1. This way they saved some money and got a 7th round pick.

Couldn't the Seahawks have also just released BJ Finney? They still had to pay him any guaranteed money they still owed him, so I don't see why he had to be included unless the Bengals wanted him.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 12:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because the Seahawks wanted his salary (which I believe was guaranteed at the time) off their cap in order to make the money part of the Dunlap trade work.

It was purely a money move for both teams.

This was not true.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/15/21221903/what-b-j-finneys-contract-with-seattle-seahawks-says-about-status-starter-backup-webb-britt-iupati

In above, you can see breakdown of his contract for 2020 and 2021.
The Seahawks also still have a $1 mill dead cap in 2021 they are paying Finney.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 12:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Couldn't the Seahawks have also just released BJ Finney? They still had to pay him any guaranteed money they still owed him, so I don't see why he had to be included unless the Bengals wanted him.

Leonard's Leap has already covered this but budgets are largely set before the season. It's not easy to suddenly find room for mid-season acquisitions earning $10m+ (albeit prorated). Finney was a vested veteran on the roster week 1 at which point his base salary for the year becomes guaranteed.

By trading him to the Bengals as part of the Dunlap deal, the Bengals take on responsibility for the remainder of his base salary for the rest of the season. The difference between Dunlap and Finney's base salary is more manageable for Seattle than taking on both Dunlap and Finney's salary for the rest of the season.

For the Bengals it works as they save the difference between Dunlap and Finney's base salary, get rid of a malcontent and get a 7th round pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 01:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This was not true.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/15/21221903/what-b-j-finneys-contract-with-seattle-seahawks-says-about-status-starter-backup-webb-britt-iupati

In above, you can see breakdown of his contract for 2020 and 2021.
The Seahawks also still have a $1 mill dead cap in 2021 they are paying Finney.

BJ Finney's salary wasn't guaranteed in April. His base salary for 2020 only became guaranteed when he was still on the roster week 1.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/vested-veteran-salary-guarantees-nfl
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 01:08 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: BJ Finney's salary wasn't guaranteed in April. His base salary for 2020 only became guaranteed when he was still on the roster week 1.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/vested-veteran-salary-guarantees-nfl

Ahh thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize vested veteran salaries worked that way.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Iirc, both Hopkins and Price were dinged up at the time.  That meant that there was a possibility that they would've had to move Jordan to C for a game or two.  
Reply/Quote
Bobby Hart, Fred Johnson, and I believe another O-lineman all missed time in the middle of the season about the rime we traded Dunlap.

We were very thin at O-line for a while.
Reply/Quote
Now if they'll cut Hart
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 01:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Now if they'll cut Hart

Why would they cut Hart before they have a replacement?

The only time you'd do that now (outside of a pending roster bonus) is out of respect for a player, knowing that if you cut them before free agency they'll get a better deal than if you cut them after the draft.
Reply/Quote
It's always one step forward and 2 steps back with this franchise. He follow up the excitement of signing Jalean Davis with the release of BJ Finney.

As to Dunlap...he can kick rocks. We would have cut him this off season to free up the $10 Mil and Seattle will most likely cut him to clear up the $14 Mil.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 01:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's always one step forward and 2 steps back with this franchise. He follow up the excitement of signing Jalean Davis with the release of BJ Finney.

As to Dunlap...he can kick rocks. We would have cut him this off season to free up the $10 Mil and Seattle will most likely cut him to clear up the $14 Mil.

Excitement of signing Davis? Who's excited? 

Who's disappointed with the Finney release? 

Is this satire? 
Reply/Quote
Had to happen.
Reply/Quote