Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BJ Hill Re-signing with Bengals
(03-14-2022, 05:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, you are right. The ONLY reasonable options are either paying BJ Hill $10m/yr, or going to Christian Covington and Margus Hunt. There's ZERO middle ground available. Also BJ Hill is clearly the deciding factor between 17 or 42 sacks. He got all 25 of them all on his own. Broke the NFL single-season sack record.  

Rolleyes

Who would you be signing and what do you think they’d be signing for? Between him and Larry O there is 12.5 and Hendrickson brought the other 14.5, none of which were here two years ago. You want to just let 12.5 go? We were going to struggle to bring both back, but the likely hood of finding 2 more bargain bin guys to bring us that many sacks was low. BJ Hill I thought was better and will show out with more time as the starter. You’re really freaking out over somebody who was drastic in our turnaround. No he wasn’t everything but he was a huge piece.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Wait, the SAME line that BJ Hill was a part of? So...why wouldn't you want him back then?

I was saying the Bengals needed a better OFFENSIVE line to win the Super bowl. They just spent $10m/yr making a backup DT the 15th highest paid DT rather than making the OL better.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I like how seamlessly you are both now calling BJ Hill a 7 sack player by adding together regular and post season games. So you're comparing stats he compiled over 20 games while most potential replacements will only have up to 17 games to try to fill that void as a comparison. Lol

I'm kind of done with Spain, but I would be fine with that. Need to see that happen first, though, before I dislike this signing less.

I know, right? It's so stupid when people claim we gave up 70 sacks last year. Those playoff ones shouldn't count. Mellow

Fine. Let's roll with 5.5 sacks and the 70.4 PFF grade.. Where did those place him among DTs?

I could go either way with Spain as well, but it may be difficult to (solidly) replace 4 of 5 o-line spots in one off-season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was saying the Bengals needed a better OFFENSIVE line to win the Super bowl. They just spent $10m/yr making a backup DT the 15th highest paid DT rather than making the OL better.

They did make the OL better. They signed two players better than what they had before. 

[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I agree. He sold his teammates out after the super bowl as well. I just don't love him. 

What are you even talking about?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:15 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Who would you be signing and what do you think they’d be signing for? Between him and Larry O there is 12.5 and Hendrickson brought the other 14.5, none of which were here two years ago. You want to just let 12.5 go? We were going to struggle to bring both back, but the likely hood of finding 2 more bargain bin guys to bring us that many sacks was low. BJ Hill I thought was better and will show out with more time as the starter. You’re really freaking out over somebody who was drastic in our turnaround. No he wasn’t everything but he was a huge piece.

What does that have to do with anything? Lol 

You can find bargin bin guys to be your 4th/5th best DL. It's not a huge problem once you have the initial players in place. Bengals did it in the past with Gilberry or Fanene are both well known. Hell, Will Clarke had a 4.0 sack season for the Bengals. Chris Smith had a 3.0 sack season. Vincent Rey had a 4.0 sack season, Frostee Rucker had a 4.0 sack season. You can get sacks from cheap role player guys. It happens all the time. They also could just draft someone. You're asking them to be your 4th best starting DL, you're not asking them to be a star.

I remember there being quite a few people who were very vocal about wanting to keep Carl Lawson regardless the price because "how are you going to get better by letting your leading sacker leave!?" and then went on about QB Pressures or whatever... this isn't even the leading sacker. They'd survive.

You're talking losing 25 sacks and going back to Christian Covington if you didn't sign BJ Hill, but I am the one freaking out? Lol

Reply/Quote
Well, that ain't bad. Takes a bit of the sting out of losing Larry O. To get two fairly good OGs and get BJ back during legal tampering is really damn good. I never expected them to be this aggressive. Kudos to management again. I can't believe I'm typing that, but it's true. They deserve my compliment after years of me blasting them
(They deserved that too). Man, what a time to be a Bengals fan. Who ****ing Dey!!!!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: Good to have hill back. With Sample able to play 3t we don't have to reach in the draft for one.

Plus we get Ossai back, which allows Sample to slide in, and doesn't Hubbard sometimes slide inside?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What are you even talking about?

He tweeted after Joe got sacked on the last play of the SB "don't look at me, wasn't my fault" or something similar to that. He kind of sucks on social media. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Talk about a change of fortune. About ready to start the season on a rebuilding Giants, gets traded to what I thought was still a rebuilding Bengals, gets a trip to the Super Bowl and a $30 million contract.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Plus we get Ossai back, which allows Sample to slide in, and doesn't Hubbard sometimes slide inside?

Backup NT may be the question mark as we have to rely on Shelvin. I think the league may be sleeping on Tupou (or we overrate him). So he should be a cheap option to return. If he does we are solid at backup NT.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He tweeted after Joe got sacked on the last play of the SB "don't look at me, wasn't my fault" or something similar to that. He kind of sucks on social media. 

Eh, he’s hardly Eli Apple. About the worst I’ve see was him going back and forth with one of the Titans players.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know, right? It's so stupid when people claim we gave up 70 sacks last year. Those playoff ones shouldn't count. Mellow

Fine. Let's roll with 5.5 sacks and the 70.4 PFF grade.. Where did those place him among DTs?

I could go either way with Spain as well, but it may be difficult to (solidly) replace 4 of 5 o-line spots in one off-season.

I'm just saying Shake, we don't call guys 2,000 yard rushers if they rush for 1700 yards in the regular season and 300 in the postseason. Nobody has called Joe Burrow a 5,000+ yard passer for throwing 4,600 yards in the regular season. Once you start adding postseason stats to counting numbers, you're making it literally impossible to compare seasons between players on different teams which is why nobody does it.

The 5.5 sacks is 12th among DTs, his 6 TFL had him in a, 11-way tie for 19th (so 29 DTs with at least 6), PFF has him as their 26th DT.... if you want to include postseason stats for all the players, I am going to need Excel and a couple days.   Ninja

Reply/Quote
With Ogunjobi already in Chicago to sign with Bears Wednesday, keeping BJ Hill is a much needed signing. The NFL says Monday from 10 AM to Wednesday is the window for teams to resign their own players before Free Agency hits Wednesday at 4 PM. So I was hoping Bengals would resign some players. They kept BJ Hill at Defensive Tackle, which is huge. Bengals can't lose all their DT's.

GO BENGALS....The Road back to Super Bowl has already begun. They kept Bates and Hill so far. Had the Combine. Now moving into Free Agent mode. There are some Super Bowl Bengals that I would like to see resigned and kept on this team. BJ HILL resigned is good news.

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He tweeted after Joe got sacked on the last play of the SB "don't look at me, wasn't my fault" or something similar to that. He kind of sucks on social media. 

Spain is a bit annoying on social media
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:45 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Have Waynes and Hopkins been cut yet?  That's a good chunk of dough.

$15 million in first year could be $12 million signing bonus and $3 million salary.  That is only a $5.4 cap hit.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The 5.5 sacks is 12th among DTs, his 6 TFL had him in a, 11-way tie for 19th (so 29 DTs with at least 6),

That is only playing 500 snaps.

Unless we sign another 3T he will probably be playing 700-800 snaps this year.
Reply/Quote
Browns signed Taven Bryan instead. Suck it Cleveland!

Reply/Quote
It seems a little rich at first blush, but he is an up and coming 26 year old who had some monster plays last season. The draft is supposedly thin at 3 technique, so retaining him helps to open up the draft for BPA.  The structure may help them to stay flexible in FA next year. If they kept him on a 5 or 6 million cap hit that is shockingly good. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 05:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm just saying Shake, we don't call guys 2,000 yard rushers if they rush for 1700 yards in the regular season and 300 in the postseason. Nobody has called Joe Burrow a 5,000+ yard passer for throwing 4,600 yards in the regular season. Once you start adding postseason stats to counting numbers, you're making it literally impossible to compare seasons between players on different teams which is why nobody does it.

The 5.5 sacks is 12th among DTs, his 6 TFL had him in a, 11-way tie for 19th (so 29 DTs with at least 6), PFF has him as their 26th DT.... if you want to include postseason stats for all the players, I am going to need Excel and a couple days.   Ninja

Yeah people mostly use reg season stats for comparisons and whatnot, but I also hear plenty of people combining reg season and playoff stats if the player had a big playoffs like Hill did. Stats are used in all sorts of ways to prove all sorts of points about a player's greatness or lack thereof.

Hill's playoff performance is especially relevant here, because you said he's a risk because he wasn't a starter. Well he was in the playoffs, and he was exceptional.

Based on those rankings (and throw in a great playoff run) and I'd say Hill got around what he deserved. Maybe a tiny overpay, but maybe not. Contracts are always increasing as the cap does.

Just trying to make you feel better, bro. I don't think it's as bad as your initial sticker shock when you provide context.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote