Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Zeitler choosing between Saints and Browns
(03-09-2017, 03:32 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Glennon is worth what he got because someone was willing to pay it. Are you still not getting it? You are worth what someone is willing to pay you for your services. 

The Spider Man Edition 1 Comic book that there is only 1 left of in the world was recently bought in auction for 1 million dollars. Would you pay 1 million dollars for that comic book? Probably not. But someone else did. That doesn't diminish its value. Its still worth 1 million dollars. 

Supply and demand, man. 
By this logic, if I walk into a store with $2k to spend on a TV and walk out with a 36" 720P, not only is that TV worth that, but everyone should be lining up behind me to buy one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 03:42 PM)Okeana Wrote: Supply and demand is meant to show how to drive prices in a retail market to grow a business.  This is not a model you want to use when managing a football team.  Brock Osweiler got paid last year to go to the Texans and would that be considered a favorable deal ?  No its one they have to live with because they screwed up.  Zeitler is getting paid 12 million dollars by a team that desperately needs a guard, but that doesn't mean we should pay 13 million a year to a guy to retain the guy.  

Just a thought, aren't the Bengals in desperate need of a guard?  They have lost the two best players from the line last year with no viable replacement around.  We can look to the draft, but it's not a great draft for linemen and their recent history is not very good.

(03-09-2017, 04:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: By this logic, if I walk into a store with $2k to spend on a TV and walk out with a 36" 720P, not only is that TV worth that, but everyone should be lining up behind me to buy one.

Sorry, but you do not begin to understand what was being said by Weezy.  If there is something special about that television, and it is placed for sale on the open market where multiple people bid and $2000 is the final price, then yes that is the market value of the product.  If you walk into Bob's Wholesale Appliances and pay $2000 for a television you could get at Wal-Mart for $120 then that makes you foolish and an uneducated consumer.

The two scenarios are not at all similar.  As was said previously, it is supply and demand.  Zeitler has a skill that he can supply to a team, a very specific set of skills, and if $12 million is the final bid then that is his market value.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 05:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Just a thought, aren't the Bengals in desperate need of a guard?  They have lost the two best players from the line last year with no viable replacement around.  We can look to the draft, but it's not a great draft for linemen and their recent history is not very good.

Sorry, but you do not begin to understand what was being said by Weezy.  If there is something special about that television, and it is placed for sale on the open market where multiple people bid and $2000 is the final price, then yes that is the market value of the product.  If you walk into Bob's Wholesale Appliances and pay $2000 for a television you could get at Wal-Mart for $120 then that makes you foolish and an uneducated consumer.

The two scenarios are not at all similar.  As was said previously, it is supply and demand.  Zeitler has a skill that he can supply to a team, a very specific set of skills, and if $12 million is the final bid then that is his market value.

Fair enough, poor example.  However, in Weezy's example, if you buy said comic book for a cool million, and a year later try to sell it and can only get $750k for it, you made a bad investment regardless of what the market was at the time.  In Z's case, he is the highest paid G in the league, but has never been named an All Pro or made the Pro Bowl.  It's not hard to hit the conclusion that the Browns overpaid.
Reply/Quote
I think the most amazing thing about this to me is Hobson posting that the Bengals never offered Zeitler a contract. If they don't value the position, why did they burn a first round draft pick on him? Our owner/GM blows my ***** mind.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 3/5 of the line was solid last year. Atleast we still have Boling who i believe is better than Zeitler honestly especially in run blocking.

Now we just have to hope Westerman pans out at RG, we draft a decent Center like Elflein, Toth, Orlovsky and either Fisher or Og
start to play much better. Man, lot of hoping going on here. Not likely this shapes out well considering how MB does not value the
Center position.

Started out trying to be positive anyways, then reality took its toll. Sad

I feel ya Nate. Overall I think Boling was "okay" last year but wouldn't say solid. I think a lot of that is injury and as of now he is really the only guy I expect to play well going in to next season if he is healthier. Westerman could surprise us and even Fisher has a chance to be an okay Right Tackle I guess. But losing Whit was just awful...no way Ogbuehi should still be a starter and for fuks sake couldn't we please just upgrade at Center over Bodine. The guy is so bad yet they did a rare trade up (in the 4th) so they think they must start this guy right away and continue to play him. I remember right after the draft watching tape on him and all I saw was a guy that got pushed back and lacked the lower body strength to anchor the center of a line...nothing has changed in the few years since then as a Bengal either...such a disappointment all around.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 09:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: Fair enough, poor example.  However, in Weezy's example, if you buy said comic book for a cool million, and a year later try to sell it and can only get $750k for it, you made a bad investment regardless of what the market was at the time.  In Z's case, he is the highest paid G in the league, but has never been named an All Pro or made the Pro Bowl.  It's not hard to hit the conclusion that the Browns overpaid.

Yes, but we both know that the market/salary for an NFL guard is not likely to drop in the coming years.  If anything it will go up as revenues continue to rise. The deal that looks big now is the norm is actually below market value in another two years.  I keep seeing people with a big reaction because it is the largest deal for a guard, but that happens every year... someone has to get the largest deal, then someone gets an even bigger one.  It is just how the league works.
Reply/Quote