Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BUNGLE 4 BURROW COMPLETE
(12-29-2019, 10:32 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow is a terrific player; no doubt about it!  He’s had a great season and he’s set college football records which may never be broken.  The Cincinnati Bengals will make Burrow the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft and he’ll get some solid sideline mentoring from Andy Dalton who Mike Brown, right or wrong, will not trade and demand he stay in Cincinnati though his last contract year.  

When it comes to Joe Burrow I’m neither a detractor nor a contrarian.  I am very cautious and extremely pragmatic.  With this in mind please understand I want one and all to see what Joe can do against Clemson.  I’m all for drafting him even if Clemson beats LSU badly but let’s temper our expectations once Joe becomes a Bengal.  It’s one thing to rip the Oklahoma defense a new one and another thing to dominate the Ravens or Patriots with stellar quarterback play.  I truly hope Joe can elevate his game in the NFL but as a lifetime fan of the Cincinnati Bengals I’m too realistic.

Will Joe Burrow be better than Andy Dalton?  Yes, this will be painfully obvious during the first mini camp and onward into the future.  There is no way Andy beats him out for the starting job.  Andy knows this and it’s okay.  For every established quarterback this awful day arrives.

My fear, however, is real:  Zac Taylor’s offense is a mess and his play calling is atrocious.  Great quarterbacks can overcome lots of adversity but no quarterback in the history of football has ever overcome incompetent coaching.  When Joe Burrow comes to Cincinnati an offense will need to be created around his skills just like LSU did.  Will the Bengals do this?  Do the coaches have the brains to know they need to try?

That would be a downright moronic move. I can only hope Mike doesn't want to pay a backup $17 million.

As for the rest of your post, I'd say you're spot on. Drafting Burrow is 100% the correct move. I have zero doubt about it. That said, will we make ALL the correct moves? Probably not. Is keeping this staff intact the right move? Probably not. Will we part with the players we need to part with (Andy, AJ, Glenn, etc)?

Will we be aggressive in FA to remedy the line, to make sure Burrow isn't pummeled before he can develop?

If we draft Burrow, then have a typical Bengal off-season (sitting on our hands in FA, retaining all coaches, etc) then we'll be putting all the pressure squarely on Burrow's shoulders. Basically setting him up for failure.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 10:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That would be a downright moronic move. I can only hope Mike doesn't want to pay a backup $17 million.

As for the rest of your post, I'd say you're spot on. Drafting Burrow is 100% the correct move. I have zero doubt about it. That said, will we make ALL the correct moves? Probably not. Is keeping this staff intact the right move? Probably not. Will we part with the players we need to part with (Andy, AJ, Glenn, etc)?

Will we be aggressive in FA to remedy the line, to make sure Burrow isn't pummeled before he can develop?

If we draft Burrow, then have a typical Bengal off-season (sitting on our hands in FA, retaining all coaches, etc) then we'll be putting all the pressure squarely on Burrow's shoulders. Basically setting him up for failure.

You just encapsulated all my off-season fears in one outstanding post!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What do you think if the Bengals front office would tell Zack Taylor they won't let him go if he gives up play calling duty?

What if along with drafting Joe Burrow, they bring in Joe Brady as OC (he is LSU's current OC who was previously with the Saints), let him call the offense and grow with Burrow? I feel that the Bengals have adequate weapons that were not fully utilized on offense and Brady could do that for us.

Get a good FA offensive lineman. Keep AJ Green.

Draft:
1. Burrow
2. Best LB'er with 33 pick in 2nd round
3. CB in 3rd round - Let Kirkpatrick and/or Webb go.
Reply/Quote
Burrow is a beast. Tall Muscular frame deadly accurate intelligence off the charts. Literally a can't miss QB. If we would have pulled out that week 16 victory I might have been done as a fan.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:09 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Burrow is a beast. Tall Muscular frame deadly accurate intelligence off the charts. Literally a can't miss QB. If we would have pulled out that week 16 victory I might have been done as a fan.

Wouldn't have mattered. We beat the Stains, Miami beat NE... it's destiny for Burrow to be a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:01 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: What do you think if the Bengals front office would tell Zack Taylor they won't let him go if he gives up play calling duty?

What if along with drafting Joe Burrow, they bring in Joe Brady as OC (he is LSU's current OC who was previously with the Saints), let him call the offense and grow with Burrow?  I feel that the Bengals have adequate weapons that were not fully utilized on offense and Brady could do that for us.

Get a good FA offensive lineman.  Keep AJ Green.

Draft:
1.  Burrow
2.  Best LB'er with 33 pick in 2nd round
3.  CB in 3rd round - Let Kirkpatrick and/or Webb go.

Evidently, if Wink Martindale lands a head coaching gig this offseason, he wants Brady as his OC.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:09 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Burrow is a beast. Tall Muscular frame deadly accurate intelligence off the charts. Literally a can't miss QB. If we would have pulled out that week 16 victory I might have been done as a fan.

Cant miss QB heard that before.. Tampa Bay getti g ready to cut a cant miss QB...did you mention Burrow as cant miss coming into season 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 05:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Cant miss QB heard that before.. Tampa Bay getti g ready to cut a cant miss QB...did you mention Burrow as cant miss coming into season 

I do not remember this at all with Winston. His turnover problems were the exact same in college as they are in the pros. If you can find a quote then fine, but don't just say it to say it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 05:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Cant miss QB heard that before.. Tampa Bay getti g ready to cut a cant miss QB...did you mention Burrow as cant miss coming into season 

Jamis Winston was red flag city coming out of college. Marcus Mariota, on the other hand. Although, I think the list of over hyped, failed Oregon QBs is longer than the successful ones.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:01 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: What do you think if the Bengals front office would tell Zack Taylor they won't let him go if he gives up play calling duty?

What if along with drafting Joe Burrow, they bring in Joe Brady as OC (he is LSU's current OC who was previously with the Saints), let him call the offense and grow with Burrow? I feel that the Bengals have adequate weapons that were not fully utilized on offense and Brady could do that for us.

Get a good FA offensive lineman. Keep AJ Green.

Draft:
1. Burrow
2. Best LB'er with 33 pick in 2nd round
3. CB in 3rd round - Let Kirkpatrick and/or Webb go.

Love all this except let’s draft WE Jefferson in round 2 if he’s there.
Reply/Quote

What if along with drafting Joe Burrow, they bring in Joe Brady as OC (he is LSU's current OC who was previously with the Saints), let him call the offense and grow with Burrow?  I feel that the Bengals have adequate weapons that were not fully utilized on offense and Brady could do that for us.

Get a good FA offensive lineman.  Keep AJ Green.

Draft:
1.  Burrow
2.  Best LB'er with 33 pick in 2nd round
3.  CB in 3rd round - Let Kirkpatrick and/or Webb go.

I'd be all for it, but I don't see us making any coaching changes, and that would be a drastic one. We'd have to fire Callahan and take play calling duties from Taylor. Would Brady's offense even match what Taylor wants? Should we even care what Taylor wants? Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:56 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Rivera has coached nine years and had six wins or less in five of them. He isn't that good of a coach or someone would have snatched him up by now. I f he even considered working for MB that should throw up red flags. The only way we get a coach is to develop him. Who wants a has been coach who only comes here is because he can't get hired anywhere else. Marvin 3.0

Yeah, I understand all that and we are keeping Zac so it is a moot point.

Just have to hope Zac gets this coaching thing down and hires another dude to call the plays and just goes to coaching.

Burrow is a great start to help Zac out, cannot miss pick IMHO.
Reply/Quote

You're just kinda making that up aren't you?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Wouldn't have mattered. We beat the Stains, Miami beat NE... it's destiny for Burrow to be a Bengal.

The "B" logo foretold the inception of BURROW as a Bengal. The prophecy cannot be undone.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think getting swept by the Browns will even be enough to get rid of Taylor tbh. He’s going to get his chance with his own QB.

Well you are correct.

Just more hope now, hoping Burrow can help turn the team around along with Taylor growing is all we can hope for.
Reply/Quote
Burrow will probably make the team 8-8 with the untalented coaches and majority of underproducing players we have. Without Burrow 2-14. Getting 8 games from one player alone is huuuuuuuuuuge.
Reply/Quote
Are the bengals already selling Burrow jerseys yet? I'm buying. Now that the season is over, i gotta ask will they change their uniforms for Burrow?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:22 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Burrow will probably make the team 8-8 with the untalented coaches and majority of underproducing players we have. Without Burrow 2-14. Getting 8 games from one player alone is huuuuuuuuuuge.

I’m not even going to begin to speculate yet on what our record will be, but adding a QB like Burrow and a LT like Jonah Williams should certainly move the needle a bit.

Now let’s hope for once they go all out and not only add a couple more day 1 starters through the draft, but also some good FA’s. Not Preston Brown or Bobby Hart types.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:23 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Are the bengals already selling Burrow jerseys yet? I'm buying. Now that the season is over, i gotta ask will they change their uniforms for Burrow?

Why should we change our uniforms? They’re one of the only good things about this team...

The only change I’d make is swap out our normal whites for the color rush whites.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 11:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why should we change our uniforms? They’re one of the only good things about this team...

The only change I’d make is swap out our normal whites for the color rush whites.

I wouldn't change the striped helmets, but the jerseys/pants? Sure. To me, they'll always be most associated with the Palmer era. I never liked the number font, the white blocks on the sides of the black jerseys look awful. Tbh, I think we should change jerseys every 10 years or so until this team finally does something worth being proud of in one.

Of course, I'd take a change in FO philosophy over a jersey change any friggin day.
Reply/Quote