Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to Dalton we go
(11-27-2019, 10:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm just saying this year is full of god awful tape on everyone.  No wonder AJ wants to stay out of the lowlight reels. 

AJ is "lookin out for himself". After being injured last year he caused the team to think twice about resigning him at his agents price. Sitting a year and a half (one year on an ankle sprain) will probably keep most teams from pursuing him which will cost him in the long run. If you don't want to honor a contract( my opinion) you are hurting your credibility.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 02:36 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: AJ is "lookin out for himself". After being injured last year he caused the team to think twice about resigning him at his agents price. Sitting a year and a half (one year on an ankle sprain) will probably keep most teams from pursuing him which will cost him in the long run. If you don't want to honor a contract( my opinion) you are hurting your credibility.

I get that, but it's also possible other nfl teams don't hold it against AJ for sitting out on the crap show that is the 2019 Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 11:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why is it so hard for people to understand that the line will be different next year?

What are the differences that you foresee next year that will make the line perform better ?

While I am hopeful that Jonah Williams will be solid, he is still unproven in the NFL.

Not sure that I would want to rely on Cordy Glenn in 2020 unless it is clear that he and the Team are both back in good graces with each other.

Even then, Cordy could get another concussion next year and who knows how he would want to handle it versus Bengal Doctors.

I still see the need for some moves to be made via Draft or Free Agency or both.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 02:56 PM)depthchart Wrote: What are the differences that you foresee next year that will make the line perform better ?

While I am hopeful that Jonah Williams will be solid, he is still unproven in the NFL.

Not sure that I would want to rely on Cordy Glenn in 2020 unless it is clear that he and the Team are both back in good graces with each other.

Even then, Cordy could get another concussion next year and who knows how he would want to handle it versus Bengal Doctors.

I still see the need for some moves to be made via Draft or Free Agency or both.

Yeah. They will have to make some moves for FAs or move up for more draft picks. 

Not to say it will definitely be better. We know how bad the Bengals are in evaluating...but they're not going to just roll with what they currently have. They're stupid but they can't be that stupid...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 03:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. They will have to make some moves for FAs or move up for more draft picks. 

Not to say it will definitely be better. We know how bad the Bengals are in evaluating...but they're not going to just roll with what they currently have. They're stupid but they can't be that stupid...

Something tells me that they may roll with Bobby Hart at right tackle again next season. Will still be two years left on Hart's contract.

Hard to know what the Bengals will do regarding Cordy Glenn. They may consider things patched up with him and rely on him again in 2020 maybe at left guard.

They likely bet on Jonah Williams being the KEY to the line improving in 2020 and feel they can manage at the other Guard position with what they have. Maybe add a mid round Offensive Lineman in the Draft. Trey Hopkins back at Center.

I still think the Bengals will feel this will work well enough for them to address other positions more in the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 03:16 PM)depthchart Wrote: Something tells me that they may roll with Bobby Hart at right tackle again next season. Will still be two years left on Hart's contract.

Hard to know what the Bengals will do regarding Cordy Glenn. They may consider things patched up with him and rely on him again in 2020 maybe at left guard.

They likely bet on Jonah Williams being the KEY to the line improving in 2020 and feel they can manage at the other Guard position with what they have. Maybe add a mid round Offensive Lineman in the Draft. Trey Hopkins back at Center.

I still think the Bengals will feel this will work well enough for them to address other positions more in the Draft.

will say if we had Williams and glenn all year at LT and LG  then it would have been easier to just figure out RG  instead of having rotating LTs and LGs and RGs lol...

Health always plays a role.

But how many years in a row can we have a first rounder ride IR (or the pine all year due to injury if not IR)  we got to be getting close to a record.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 01:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's just a hot dog there, Freud.

Terrible optics nevertheless...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 03:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: will say if we had Williams and glenn all year at LT and LG  then it would have been easier to just figure out RG  instead of having rotating LTs and LGs and RGs lol...

Health always plays a role.

But how many years in a row can we have a first rounder ride IR (or the pine all year due to injury if not IR)  we got to be getting close to a record.

John Jerry even got time at Left Tackle this year and the Bengals will view this a versatility out of Jerry, so he could be back in 2020.

Jonah at Left Tackle and a "serious about Football" Cordy Glenn at Left Guard doesn't sound that bad to me but only if Cordy's troubles with the Team are behind him.

Rolling with Hart at Right Tackle still seems likely to me in 2020 but hopefully I am wrong & they pursue an Upgrade.

As you say, First Rounder injuries seem to be the Norm around here but at least maybe now Jonah's due for a healthy streak.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 02:36 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: AJ is "lookin out for himself". After being injured last year he caused the team to think twice about resigning him at his agents price. Sitting a year and a half (one year on an ankle sprain) will probably keep most teams from pursuing him which will cost him in the long run. If you don't want to honor a contract( my opinion) you are hurting your credibility.

One thing that AJ would have going for him though is how he can be compared and contrasted to Antonio Brown.

AJ still has a solid reputation (especially when compared to Antonio) so Teams may still line up for his services if he can assure them that he is healthy this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 04:46 PM)depthchart Wrote: One thing that AJ would have going for him though is how he can be compared and contrasted to Antonio Brown.

AJ still has a solid reputation (especially when compared to Antonio) so Teams may still line up for his services if he can assure them that he is healthy this offseason.

I believe AJ and AB are in the same boat but ABs end of the boat has definitely almost sunk. AB has screwed the Steelers, raiders and Pats while AJ has only put it to the Bengals. The only plus AB has is even though he hasn't been on a team since the end of last year he has played more games than AJ over the last year and a half and he has little injury history. Its a toss up as far as going all in on a aging receiver.
Reply/Quote

AJ saw what happened to Earl Thomas last year. He held out for an extension, didn't get it, then showed up and played. Then he had a season ending injury. I thought it was great when he flipped off Seahawks management as he was being carted from the field. He rushed back from injury last year to help Driskell in his first start, and got reinjured by doing so. When he was hurt in 2016 he was pissed when the team shut him down. In my opinion, he's earned the benefit of the doubt.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 02:56 PM)depthchart Wrote: What are the differences that you foresee next year that will make the line perform better ?

^That + Jonah Williams.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 10:10 PM)jason Wrote: AJ saw what happened to Earl Thomas last year. He held out for an extension, didn't get it, then showed up and played. Then he had a season ending injury. I thought it was great when he flipped off Seahawks management as he was being carted from the field. He rushed back from injury last year to help Driskell in his first start, and got reinjured by doing so. When he was hurt in 2016 he was pissed when the team shut him down. In my opinion, he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure the team knows that the injury( toe) is likely to reappear. I am sure that they know a lot of things the fans don't. If he doesn't play anymore games the rest of the year he would have 22million in "benefit of the doubt" money without contributing anything to the team . Placing the tag on him would give him a prove it year and guarantee him another 18 mil of "benefit of the doubt money. That would give AJ a total of 40 million and give the fans proof they aren't kicking him to the curb.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2019, 11:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why is it so hard for people to understand that the line will be different next year?

IF Johah  comes back from injury and can start is the only guarantee that the line will be different next year.  In case you didn't notice, the line was different THIS year.  That has not went well.

What makes you believe that the Bengals will pursue starting caliber linemen in the offseason?  None of the guys here are even below average starters, including Glenn.  Jonah can't block 5 guys at a time. 

The major problems with the OL have ruined this team and until I see some real effort from management to correct this, I don't believe anything will change next year.  Hell, we might even be worse.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 12:35 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: IF Johah  comes back from injury and can start is the only guarantee that the line will be different next year.  In case you didn't notice, the line was different THIS year.  That has not went well.

What makes you believe that the Bengals will pursue starting caliber linemen in the offseason?  None of the guys here are even below average starters, including Glenn.  Jonah can't block 5 guys at a time. 

The major problems with the OL have ruined this team and until I see some real effort from management to correct this, I don't believe anything will change next year.  Hell, we might even be worse.

A better offensive line coach would make all the difference in the world. Everything Jim Turner has ever touched turns to crap and the poltergeist of Paul Alexander still permeates the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 12:35 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: What makes you believe that the Bengals will pursue starting caliber linemen in the offseason? 

Because just year before last they traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league and we have usedf 3 of our last 5 first round picks on the offensive line.

People who claim the Bengals don't try to fix the O-line are wearing blinders.
Reply/Quote
They do try but it fails almost every time.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 01:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because just year before last they traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league and we have usedf 3 of our last 5 first round picks on the offensive line.

People who claim the Bengals don't try to fix the O-line are wearing blinders.

So either you're saying these players were busts in the making or the coaches are unable to take them to the next level or both?  Glenn should not need too much coaching at this point.  However, he is given 51.2 (poor) rating by PFF.  How can that be possible if he was the 8th highest paid (best?) OT?  You can't have an OL this bad if you're doing everything you can to make things better.  Ced is gone.  Fisher is gone.  Price will be gone soon if he doesn't improve dramatically.  Sample doesn't even see the field it seems.

If we can't get these guys coached up, better go outside the organization to find players who already know what they're doing.  That's tough to do because it costs the Bengals more to bring in quality players.

So, if I'm wearing the blinders, what really is the problem on why we can't succeed at these 5 positions?  Ok, 4.  I'll give you a pass on Jonah.

**EDIT** - Actually, Ced is rated at 67.3 with the Jaguars, which is far above anyone we have, so I think that's pretty comical.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 04:17 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: So either you're saying these players were busts in the making or the coaches are unable to take them to the next level or both?  Glenn should not need too much coaching at this point.  However, he is given 51.2 (poor) rating by PFF.  How can that be possible if he was the 8th highest paid (best?) OT?  You can't have an OL this bad if you're doing everything you can to make things better.  Ced is gone.  Fisher is gone.  Price will be gone soon if he doesn't improve dramatically.  Sample doesn't even see the field it seems.

If we can't get these guys coached up, better go outside the organization to find players who already know what they're doing.  That's tough to do because it costs the Bengals more to bring in quality players.

So, if I'm wearing the blinders, what really is the problem on why we can't succeed at these 5 positions?  Ok, 4.  I'll give you a pass on Jonah.

**EDIT** - Actually, Ced is rated at 67.3 with the Jaguars, which is far above anyone we have, so I think that's pretty comical.

I was adressing your claim that the Bengals would not even "pursue starting caliber linemen in the offseason".

I agree that the front office makes a lot of bad decisiosn and that our coaching has not been impressive recently.  But that is different from claiming that they don't even try.  Using a first round pick on an O-linemen is "pursuing startring caliber linemen".  Trading for one of the highest paid tackles in the league is "pursuing starting caliber linemen".
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 03:16 PM)depthchart Wrote: Something tells me that they may roll with Bobby Hart at right tackle again next season. Will still be two years left on Hart's contract.

I'd vote against that happening because they were looking hard at a second tackle at the top of the second round last year but there was a run...so they traded down and took an athletic blocking inline TE.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote