Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to the norm - Michael Johnson
Remember earlier in the season when we all thought MJ's career was revitalized by swinging him inside?
He had three sacks in the first five games! Project that out and it'd be nine sacks in 15 games!
That would have been great!

Now fast forward to today, and he hasn't had a sack and only has a total of 11 combined tackles since Buffalo.
He's played over 50% of the defensive snaps this season while Chris Smith has only half a sack and three combined tackles less on 121 fewer snaps and Jordan Willis has only four fewer combined tackles and two fewer sacks on 134 fewer defensive snaps.

Michael Johnson needs to be playing no more than 25% of the snaps going forward to give these younger, more promising players some valuable PT.
Who knows? The young guys may even outproduce MJ if given the chance.

Michael Johnson also needs to be cut after this season with proven development of Lawson, Willis, and Smith.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've been on him the last couple of days for his lack of effort on a play I saw with about a minute or so to go in the 3rd qtr. Not firing off the ball, taking 3 steps and standing and watching... Then on the play Burfict got ejected, I was pissed he didn't contain outside but then on replay he was pretty much mugged and held. Not making an excuse but I pretty much see these guys are done with this shit.
Reply/Quote
To that, I'd ask.....hasn't he been playing predominantly outside since Buffalo?  I gotta admit, I'm fairly jaded at the moment, and not watching as closely as I have been, even missing the whole second half this week, but it seems to me he isn't moving inside very often anymore?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 05:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: To that, I'd ask.....hasn't he been playing predominantly outside since Buffalo?  I gotta admit, I'm fairly jaded at the moment, and not watching as closely as I have been, even missing the whole second half this week, but it seems to me he isn't moving inside very often anymore?

Good question, but unfortunately from what I've been able to find, I cannot tell how many snaps at DT vs RDE.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 04:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Remember earlier in the season when we all thought MJ's career was revitalized by swinging him inside?
He had three sacks in the first five games! Project that out and it'd be nine sacks in 15 games!

Now fast forward to today, and he hasn't had a sack and only has a total of 11 combined tackles since Buffalo.
He's played over 50% of the defensive snaps this season while Chris Smith has only half a sack and three combined tackles less on 121 fewer snaps and Jordan Willis has only four fewer combined tackles and two fewer sacks on 134 fewer defensive snaps.

Michael Johnson needs to be playing no more than 25% of the snaps going forward to give these younger, more promising players some valuable PT.

Michael Johnson also needs to be cut after this season with proven development of Lawson, Willis, and Smith.

Haven't you realized, yet, the coaching staff doesn't base their decisions on who starts and who plays more on production? They go with who they like (basically anyone that's played under them for more than a couple seasons) and if they're not as productive, well, they just gotta play better CLAP CLAP CLAP LET'S GO! CLAP GIGGLE CLAP GIGGLE GIGGLE
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 05:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: To that, I'd ask.....hasn't he been playing predominantly outside since Buffalo?  I gotta admit, I'm fairly jaded at the moment, and not watching as closely as I have been, even missing the whole second half this week, but it seems to me he isn't moving inside very often anymore?

I'm pretty sure the majority of his snaps against Titans were at RDE. And basically he contributed nothing !

I'm with the OP, why they continue running him out there for so many snaps is beyond me ?
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 05:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Good question, but unfortunately from what I've been able to find, I cannot tell how many snaps at DT vs RDE.

(11-14-2017, 05:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm pretty sure the majority of his snaps against Titans were at RDE. And basically he contributed nothing !

I'm with the OP, why they continue running him out there for so many snaps is beyond me ?

Yeah, from what I saw in the first half @ TN, he was at DE, and the Jags game as well....maybe even Indy.  If that's the case, I put that more on the staff (shocker if true, right?) than MJ at the moment.  He was doing a much better job at DT, IMO.

Reply/Quote
Was watching the game Sunday and said WTF??????

Why is he playing RDE? Our coaches cant be this dumb??

I thought Smith #94 played well at DE in his limited role.

On this same note other than a couple of off sides penalties lately Carl Lawson has been very quiet!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Also worth mentioning that outside of 2012, MJ has never had more than 6.0 sacks in a season.
Probably more of the same this year.
Although it does beg the question...should MJ have been a nickel DT his whole career? How much better do you all think he'd have been if he was?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 06:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also worth mentioning that outside of 2012, MJ has never had more than 6.0 sacks in a season.
Probably more of the same this year.
Although it does beg the question...should MJ have been a nickel DT his whole career? How much better do you all think he'd have been if he was?

I dunno, but he sure looked much better and rejuvenated in that role.  If we base it off what we have seen this season, you'd have to believe he would have been a much more valuable asset in that position.  IF he had been tabbed for that role, he may have put on a little more bulk and been even better there.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 04:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote:  

I'd prefer to keep him and reduce his snaps.

Maybe it's just the rose colored glasses I put on every time I think about Zimmer's defenses, but one thing that made our DL good back then was the steady rotation. We plugged in guys here and there as needed. It didn't have to be a standout guy, we just needed a rested, healthy guy. 

The last two years I've whined about not using our first to pick up a talented DL player to get back to that. Pick up a guy who can play 60% of the snaps... but then only play him 30% and use that rotation to keep offenses uncomfortable. Keep guys like MJ who can give you quality downs as long as you aren't putting them out there every play.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 06:04 PM)corpjet Wrote: Was watching the game Sunday and said WTF??????

Why is he playing RDE?  Our coaches cant be this dumb??

I thought Smith #94 played well at DE in his limited role.

On this same note other than a couple of off sides penalties lately Carl Lawson has been very quiet!

Well, he did some really good things, but he just needs to play better...... we, as coaches, need to help the players play better. He just needs to clean some things up, and play better. But, we're on to next week.......
(Bolded in case Mike Brown is reading this and maybe offers me a job as Head Coach.....)
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 05:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I've been on him the last couple of days for his lack of effort on a play I saw with about a minute or so to go in the 3rd qtr.  Not firing off the ball, taking 3 steps and standing and watching... Then on the play Burfict got ejected, I was pissed he didn't contain outside but then on replay he was pretty much mugged and held. Not making an excuse but I pretty much see these guys are done with this shit.

they don't seem to call penalties for holding bengals defenders..

MJ also has been dealing with back issues here and there.
Reply/Quote
MJ been terrible since 2013. but he looks great in shorts n makes s lot of money and his locker room leadership top notch
Reply/Quote
MJ makes too much money to be so invisible.

We need to cut him and invest that money elsewhere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 04:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Remember earlier in the season when we all thought MJ's career was revitalized by swinging him inside?

Yeah, the walking tree be done.

Let the young guys take his snaps and cut him after the season. Bet the coaches have a big part in this not playing
him as much on the inside but either way he is paid too much for this lack of production after a good start to the
season.
Reply/Quote
Yep I noticed him at rde again last 3 games and thought ,yupp Marvin is stupid.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 08:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, the walking tree be done.

Let the young guys take his snaps and cut him after the season. Bet the coaches have a big part in this not playing
him as much on the inside but either way he is paid too much for this lack of production after a good start to the
season.

We are the only team I have ever seen that rebuilds by keeping the young guys from starting. It doesn't make sense. I want to believe in this team as much as anyone but the Good Days with this group has passed. 

Its time for a new coach(es), new attitude and hopefully new results. 
Reply/Quote

He has been starting and playing the majority of snaps at RDE, you know, because he's so tough against the run.  Puke.  He is so damn slow now that he loses containment, and makes a tackle 8 yards upfield after the RB makes a cut to dodge a LB.  That is not starting DE play in a 4-3.  Just further evidence of stupidity of the coaching staff.  
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 06:15 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd prefer to keep him and reduce his snaps.

Maybe it's just the rose colored glasses I put on every time I think about Zimmer's defenses, but one thing that made our DL good back then was the steady rotation. We plugged in guys here and there as needed. It didn't have to be a standout guy, we just needed a rested, healthy guy. 

The last two years I've whined about not using our first to pick up a talented DL player to get back to that. Pick up a guy who can play 60% of the snaps... but then only play him 30% and use that rotation to keep offenses uncomfortable. Keep guys like MJ who can give you quality downs as long as you aren't putting them out there every play.

I would agree if he wasn't taking up $6.125 mill in cap next year. Unfortunately he is, but the team can save $5 mill from cutting him.
That's too much money to pay a below average player.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote