Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back ups and practice squad vs Cleveland
(01-10-2022, 02:44 AM)Interceptor Wrote: If we don't draft Bailey Zappe, we could get a backup QB via free agency:

Mike White
Andy Dalton
Ryan Fitzpatrick

Yeah, I'm probably gonna get ridiculed for these choices, but I think they would be more serviceable than what we saw today.

Marcus Mariota
Kyle Allen
Colt McCoy

In that order, with Mariota a good distance ahead of second place.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Marcus Mariota
Kyle Allen
Colt McCoy

In that order, with Mariota a good distance ahead of second place.

Yeah, I would ONLY take Mariota.

Allen is not better than Brandon and McCoy is Sick
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:44 AM)Interceptor Wrote: If we don't draft Bailey Zappe, we could get a backup QB via free agency:

Mike White
Andy Dalton
Ryan Fitzpatrick

Yeah, I'm probably gonna get ridiculed for these choices, but I think they would be more serviceable than what we saw today.

Is your interest in Zappe because he broke some of Burrow's records? I don't know anything about draft prospects other than what the almighty Google reveals to me, but it appears he's ranked as the 8th+ best QB prospect in the NFL '22 draft. Meaning, he's a late round pick or UDFA at best.

This list has him ranked low: https://www.drafttek.com/2022-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-QBs.asp.

Anyhow, I'm all for drafting someone rounds 5+ or signing a UDFA to foster some competition at the backup QB spot. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 11:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I must say I didn't watch it.

For anyone that did how did D. Smith  look?

Yeah, I will give it a watch later tonight. Knew we would lose with our backups against the Stains starters.

Actually was surprised it was close as it pretty much was a Preseason game for us. Good news.

Now get ready for the real thing, looks like the one team that scared me shit the bed in the Colts, more good news.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:35 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Is your interest in Zappe because he broke some of Burrow's records? I don't know anything about draft prospects other than what the almighty Google reveals to me, but it appears he's ranked as the 8th+ best QB prospect in the NFL '22 draft. Meaning, he's a late round pick or UDFA at best.

This list has him ranked low: https://www.drafttek.com/2022-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-QBs.asp.

Anyhow, I'm all for drafting someone rounds 5+ or signing a UDFA to foster some competition at the backup QB spot. 

Never even heard of the Zappe fella LMAO!
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Never even heard of the Zappe fella LMAO!

Me neither until he made the news for breaking Burrow record: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32896269/western-kentucky-quarterback-bailey-zappe-breaks-single-season-passing-records-hilltoppers-59-38-boca-bowl-win
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Ugh, what is it with everyone being obsessed with Zappe? He's an air-raid system guy, like all of Mike Leach's QBs (Gordon, Falk, Halliday, Minshew, etc. Minshew is the only one that has done anything in the NFL), of which Mike White is also from.

Someone like Ridder would be a good backup, though he'd probably be drafted high-enough that we can get an actual contributor instead.

Allen is fine; if you have a backup like Dilfer then you are in good shape and Allen is absolutely like Dilfer.

The high throws stopped in the second half, but all I will say is that aside from the one high one to Chase, when he threw to Chase, he looked bang-on and the offense was clicking.

Allen will not lose you a game, but he will also not win it for you. If I were to rate him amongst the other backups, he'd be in the 19-15 range. He needs a solid running game to work with, as opposed to someone you can put the game on their shoulders.

He also got very little help from the oline (not their fault really, being thrown into the fire against those beast of DEs) and Adeniji stepped on his foot, which caused a sack and that play he actually had time, so who knows if a completion is made there.

The only thing I wasn't impressed with yesterday (with him, specifically), is the clock management. I don't know if the line was taking forever to get set or if he was taking forever getting the play in, but that play clock went to 0 way too often.

Yes, I would have liked to see him with more starters for sure. I admittedly snoozed off and on during the second half, lol. To only lose by 5 at their house with the practice squad playing isn't all that bad.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Never even heard of the Zappe fella LMAO!

(01-10-2022, 02:48 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Me neither until he made the news for breaking Burrow record: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32896269/western-kentucky-quarterback-bailey-zappe-breaks-single-season-passing-records-hilltoppers-59-38-boca-bowl-win

As I wrote on the previous page, he's an Air-Raid system guy.

None and I mean NONE of those system QBs have ever done anything in the NFL, outside of Mahomes and Murray. Guys who have done SOMETHING, but not much, include Hayseed, Minshew and Goff.

Then there is a very long list of guys who didn't even take a snap in the league (Taylor Potts, Graham Harrell, Cody Hodges, etc.).
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:24 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, I would ONLY take Mariota.

Allen is not better than Brandon and McCoy is Sick

Brandon Allen has a career 56.2% completion, 6.1 YPA, and is in his age 29 season. 
Kyle Allen has a career 63.1% completion, 6.9 YPA, and is in his age 25 season.

Brandon Allen is by far the worst of the four in this conversation. You need to be able to complete passes if you want to stay in the NFL. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: As I wrote on the previous page, he's an Air-Raid system guy.

None and I mean NONE of those system QBs have ever done anything in the NFL, outside of Mahomes and Murray. Guys who have done SOMETHING, but not much, include Hayseed, Minshew and Goff.

Then there is a very long list of guys who didn't even take a snap in the league (Taylor Potts, Graham Harrell, Cody Hodges, etc.).

Your draft takes are informative so I appreciate you posting this, you'll deservedly be in the Bengals Board HoF one day for them. I'll have to check the draft forum if any late round/udfa talk sparks to see who you think we might look at.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:35 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Is your interest in Zappe because he broke some of Burrow's records? I don't know anything about draft prospects other than what the almighty Google reveals to me, but it appears he's ranked as the 8th+ best QB prospect in the NFL '22 draft. Meaning, he's a late round pick or UDFA at best.

Maybe. But I know he did it against "JV" squads. Even though there may be similarities, I need to see his character makeup.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Daniels was the standout, for sure. As a PS guy. Taylor as well. T. Henderson had a TD.

Some deep roster guys played pretty well. Bailey, Ray with the forced fumble. Both running backs: Evans with a TD catch and T. Williams with some nice running.

I did not hear Garrett's name much, which means Smith did a pretty darn good job. To my eye, the left side (Smith & Carman) was a lot better than the right (Adeniji and Prince).

Morgan Jr. made some nice soecial teams plays, but our backup WRs and TEs pose no offensive threat at all. We could use some upgrades.

And Allen is mostly awful.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 03:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Brandon Allen has a career 56.2% completion, 6.1 YPA, and is in his age 29 season. 
Kyle Allen has a career 63.1% completion, 6.9 YPA, and is in his age 25 season.

Brandon Allen is by far the worst of the four in this conversation. You need to be able to complete passes if you want to stay in the NFL. 

I will 100% admit that I was underrating Allen, but: https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=AlleBr00&player_id1=AlleKy00&sum=0&request=1

Allen has almost 3 times the amount of attempts as Brandon does and he actually started for the majority of 1 season.

Not that I want to give Brandon a sample size that large, but his sample size is significantly-smaller and I would take even 100 more attempts, before crowning Allen as better than Brandon. Brandon's best game as a pro is better than Allen's as well.
Reply/Quote
Brandon Allen had all season to pick up the offense better than when he started 5 games last season. He did not progress, he regressed. He was indecisive with no sense of urgency and often looked lost like a QB picked up over the waiver wire two or three weeks ago. His body language screamed "I have no confidence in myself".

That was their BACKUP QB . . . Sean Payton almost made the playoffs with 4 different starting QBs and the best of those was Winston. I do not consider his roster spot a failure of the front office because I don't think that any of them saw Cincinnati playing meaningful games in January this season. If he's here next season? Complete failure. This team is at a different level now, most likely will be for awhile and that level is too high for a stiff like Brandon Allen to reach.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 05:29 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Brandon Allen had all season to pick up the offense better than when he started 5 games last season. He did not progress, he regressed. He was indecisive with no sense of urgency and often looked lost like a QB picked up over the waiver wire two or three weeks ago. His body language screamed "I have no confidence in myself".

That was their BACKUP QB . . . Sean Payton almost made the playoffs with 4 different starting QBs and the best of those was Winston. I do not consider his roster spot a failure of the front office because I don't think that any of them saw Cincinnati playing meaningful games in January this season. If he's here next season? Complete failure. This team is at a different level now, most likely will be for awhile and that level is too high for a stiff like Brandon Allen to reach.

Brandon Allen's game was the definition of impotent.

After he sacked himself with a toe step from the right side of our line... I started watching Wentz implode. Who wouldn't want to play Wentz and the Colts? (There were posts about not wanting to play the Colts in the game day thread.)

We definitely need a back up QB that can move the ball.

And we can't keep dumping picks on the OL without any return on investment. Some of these guys need to start playing for us, and not being a liability. I keep seeing us take a LT in the draft and moving him to RT.
Reply/Quote