Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Bad Boys II
(05-13-2020, 12:47 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Oh yea. My point was just that trespassing in a vacant home is probably something many people have done without being shot to death.

How much time do trespassers usually spend "casing he neighborhood" before committing the crime?
(05-12-2020, 04:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That probably seemed way cooler in your head. 

IMO, the motivation for the shooting is very important, but others don't care or will assign their own motivation. I'm unsure how many different ways folks can try to twist my thinking motivation is important into being a racist, but keep trying. 

It's called victim shaming.
And for the record, this issue for me has always been this: The bar for justifiable homicide, IMO is an exceptionally high one. I believe that the law bears this out as well. If your life isn't in immediate danger, or any danger at all, you should expect to answer for taking a life. Stolen property doesn't meet that bar. Trespassing doesn't either, when the trespasser is no longer on the property. If someone isn't in your home uninvited and refusing to leave, then killing them is murder as far as I can see. The obvious exception would be if they are trying to physically harm you or someone else off-property.

This is compounded in this case by the fact that it's all on video for the world to see, and that the victim tries to flee the accused more than once. That's pretty far from justifiable from what I can tell, and from all I've read, trespassing isn't even a felony in GA.

If some unarmed hillbilly in a MAGA hat and a Confederate flag shirt got ambushed and shot dead in the street for breaking into a car in somebody's driveway, I'd hope that whoever did it caught a murder charge as well. Batman isn't real, and vigilanteism in the real world isn't something that people should get away with, particularly when taking a life comes into play.
(05-14-2020, 03:56 PM)samhain Wrote: And for the record, this issue for me has always been this: The bar for justifiable homicide, IMO is an exceptionally high one. I believe that the law bears this out as well. If your life isn't in immediate danger, or any danger at all, you should expect to answer for taking a life. Stolen property doesn't meet that bar. Trespassing doesn't either, when the trespasser is no longer on the property. If someone isn't in your home uninvited and refusing to leave, then killing them is murder as far as I can see. The obvious exception would be if they are trying to physically harm you or someone else off-property.

This is compounded in this case by the fact that it's all on video for the world to see, and that the victim tries to flee the accused more than once. That's pretty far from justifiable from what I can tell, and from all I've read, trespassing isn't even a felony in GA.

If some unarmed hillbilly in a MAGA hat and a Confederate flag shirt got ambushed and shot dead in the street for breaking into a car in somebody's driveway, I'd hope that whoever did it caught a murder charge as well. Batman isn't real, and vigilanteism in the real world isn't something that people should get away with, particularly when taking a life comes into play.

In stunning irony, the McMichael’s have claimed a stand your ground defense stating they were forced to defend themselves after Aubery attacked them who was standing his ground because two strangers got out of a truck and pointed guns in his face.

Apparently, either the local law enforcement or prosecutor bought that stupid argument which is why they weren’t changed with anything until about 3 months later after the general public became aware of the video.
(05-14-2020, 04:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: In stunning irony, the McMichael’s have claimed a stand your ground defense stating they were forced to defend themselves after Aubery attacked them who was standing his ground because two strangers got out of a truck and pointed guns in his face.

Apparently, either the local law enforcement or prosecutor bought that stupid argument which is why they weren’t changed with anything until about 3 months later after the general public became aware of the video.

In this case the McMichaels would have been cleared by the local DA even if they killed a white kid.  This is more about a crooked DA than race.

From what I am reading now Arbrey had already eluded the McMichael's a couple of times before they cut him off.  That explains why their buddy was chasing him from behind and making a video.

There is a good reason that people say never pull a gun unless you plan on using it.  That is because as soon as you pull a gun on someone they are justified in killing you.  There is no more clear "threat of immediate death or bodily harm" than having a gun pulled on you.  You can't pull a gun on someone else and then claim self defense.
(05-10-2020, 04:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://atlantablackstar.com/2020/04/01/lawyer-louisville-cops-did-not-identify-themselves-during-botched-raid-that-killed-emt-led-to-her-boyfriends-attempted-murder-charge-for-shooting-officer/

Innocent woman dead, innocent man now charged with attempted murder for defending his home, cops get a paid vacation until the court says "oh well".

Again.

More on one of the officers involved:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/18/breonna-taylor-shooting-federal-lawsuit-calls-officer-dirty-cop/5211620002/

Quote:Federal lawsuit calls officer in Breonna Taylor shooting a 'dirty cop' with a 'vendetta'

Louisville Courier Journal

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — An ongoing federal lawsuit accuses one of the narcotics detectives in the shooting death of 26-year-old EMT Breonna Taylor of harassing suspects with unnecessary arrests and planting drugs on them.

Kendrick Wilson filed suit against Officer Brett Hankison in October 2019, saying his “fatal misdeed was attracting the unwanted and undeserved attention” of Hankison who had decided that Wilson, “for one reason or another, had to be engaging in illegal activity, and that he had to ensure his conviction.”

Hankison denied all allegations against him in a response filed a month later.

Accusations contained in a civil lawsuit represent only one side of the story and do not constitute evidence in a court of law.

Hankison, Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly and Officer Myles Cosgrove are on administrative reassignment while an internal investigation is underway into the March 13 shooting of Taylor. All three are being sued by Taylor's family.

Taylor's death has ignited a firestorm across the nation in recent weeks, as prominent activists and politicians questioned why an unarmed black woman had been gunned down by white officers. Gov. Andy Beshear has called for a federal investigation into the case. 
[Image: 48b528c5-601b-417b-a165-ef92dc66673d-lmp...&auto=webp]

Taylor was shot eight times by the officers who entered her apartment just before 1 a.m. Police have said the officers were serving a search warrant as part of a narcotics investigation, but no drugs were found at the home.

Taylor's boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, said he thought intruders were breaking in and fired one shot that struck Mattingly in the leg. The officers then returned fire, expending more than 20 rounds.

RELATED: What we know about Breonna Taylor's death

Years earlier Hankinson was accused of harassing Wilson, who said the officer targeted him and planted drugs.  

Wilson's suit outlines three times in which Hankison arrested Wilson in 2016 and 2018, all of which originated at bars where Hankison sometimes worked as off-duty security.

It also says that Wilson and Hankison have had various interactions outside of the arrests, “including over a relationship with the same woman.”

The first arrest was in 2016 at the Tin Roof bar, when Hankinson arrested Wilson for assault. The charges were dismissed in November.

In June 2018, outside the Tin Roof bar, Hankinson arrested Wilson again. The arrest citation Hankison wrote states that a police dog indicated the “presence of a narcotic odor” in Wilson’s pocket.

Wilson empties his pockets, which the suit said showed they contained only money.

The citation said Hankison recovered a plastic bag of suspected powder cocaine on the ground and arrested Wilson.

But the lawsuit, citing body camera footage, said Hankison located the bag “on the sidewalk several feet away from where the altercation took place.”

“He then jokes with other LMPD officers about ‘planting dope’ when Mr. Wilson expressed shock over the locating of these drugs,” the suit says.

“Also visible on the body camera is an unnamed civilian, who can be heard communicating with Mr. Wilson that he saw an officer drop the drugs on the sidewalk before he retrieved them,” the suit says.

On the way to jail, Wilson said Hankison has a "vendetta" against him, and is a "dirty cop" who needs to be exposed, according to the lawsuit.

Wilson spent the night in jail before posting bond. The suit says Wilson also “incurred the cost of drug tests, which all yielded negative results, in attempts to support his claim that he is not involved with narcotics.”

Wilson's criminal case remains pending in circuit court.

In September 2018, Wilson filed a report to LMPD’s Internal Affairs that “Hankison was unfairly targeting him.” However, he discontinued his complaint because his legal case was pending and he did not have an attorney with him.

The next month, Hankison arrested Wilson a third time, this time at Sullivan’s Tap House.

Hankison wrote on the arrest citation that he located a “large bag of powder cocaine” that weighed “an excess of 5 grams" on Wilson.

A civilian video taken of the incident showed Hankison “taunting” Wilson’s girlfriend and telling her that “he was planting ‘dope’ again,” according to the suit.

The charges were dropped two months later.
[Image: 9f2ee918-b62f-466b-8d3c-9d15a1d437d7-344...&auto=webp]

Laboratory testing later revealed the powder Hankison claimed to have located “came back negative for any controlled substances,” according to the suit.

In October 2019, LMPD officers executed a warrant at Wilson’s home and barbershop, kicking in the door of his home and pointing guns at his girlfriend.

They seized a legally owned gun and Wilson’s license and cell phone, according to the suit, which accused Hankison, a narcotics detective, of playing "a role in the issuance of these warrants, which were carried out by narcotics officers.”

Wilson’s lawsuit accuses Hankison of malicious prosecution and violating his constitutional rights and seeks reimbursement for Wilson’s legal fees and punitive damages.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
https://apnews.com/ca9b17cc4aa6d469b28097ad91529055

Quote:Missouri officers accused of assaulting woman, son

[url=https://apnews.com/ca9b17cc4aa6d469b28097ad91529055/gallery/e1d9d55cb222420a8baecc48148746f7][/url]O’FALLON, Mo. (AP) — A lawsuit filed Monday accuses four white suburban St. Louis police officers of brutalizing a 68-year-old black woman and her adult son after wrongly accusing them of stealing a television.

Marvia Gray alleges she suffered serious and permanent injuries during her arrest at a Sam’s Club store in Des Peres, Missouri, on March 23. Her 43-year-old son, Derek, suffered a concussion, three shattered teeth and other injuries, according to the lawsuit.

Andrew M. Stroth of the Chicago-based Action Injury Law Group said Marvia Gray was especially traumatized by how her son was treated given other high-profile incidents involving white officers and black men, including the fatal shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, another St. Louis suburb, in 2014.

“Mrs. Gray thought her son was about to be another black man unjustifiably shot and killed by the police,” Stroth said in a phone interview. “You can see in the video that she is terrified with respect to what they’re doing to her son.”

Onlookers in the store captured cellphone video. Two videos that Stroth provided to The Associated Press begin with Gray and her son already on the ground.

At one point, Derek Gray tries to sit up but two officers forcefully push him back down. He can be heard yelling, “Get off me,” “Please let me go,” and, “I’m humiliated.” His mother screams throughout the approximate four-minute videos, several times imploring officers, “Please leave me alone!”

Des Peres City Administrator Douglas Harms said Derek Gray and an officer were treated for injuries following the incident.
The city’s public safety director has reviewed reports and video and “unequivocally denies that the officers used excessive force to ‘beat’ the plaintiffs,” Harms said.

The lawsuit filed in St. Louis County Circuit Court names the city and four police officers. It seeks unspecified damages.
Derek Gray lives in Virginia and works in security. His mother is in frail health with osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, glaucoma and other ailments, Stroth said, so Derek Gray took leave from his job to care for her at her home in Creve Coeur, Missouri, another St. Louis suburb.

At the Sam’s Club, Derek Gray purchased a 65-inch Sony Bravia flat-screen TV for his mother, along with other items, Stroth said. When they got to his SUV they realized everything wouldn’t fit, so Derek Gray asked the store to hold the TV until he could return later and pick it up.

The trouble began when he went back to the store. At first, the lawsuit said, someone at the store expressed suspicion that Gray was trying to steal the TV. A store employee interceded and confirmed that Gray had paid for the TV and was there to pick it up.

Still, a Des Peres officer who was in the store followed Gray to the SUV and accused him of theft before being told by an employee that Gray had bought the TV, the lawsuit said.

Gray returned to his mother’s home and told her about the false accusations. They decided, based on how he was treated, to return the TV and get their money back.

The lawsuit said that while the Grays were at the store seeking a refund, four officers “violently and physically seized Marvia Gray and Derek Gray, throwing them to the floor, beating them, handcuffing them, then arresting them.”

The lawsuit said the officers acted without cause or adequate provocation, but provides no other details. Police Capt. Sean Quinn declined comment, citing the pending litigation.

Marvia Gray said at a news conference that she watched in terror as the officers attacked her son.

“I said, ‘They’re going to kill him,’” Gray said. “I could see my son dying before my eyes.”

John Bowman, president of the St. Louis County chapter of the NAACP, accused the officers of “bullying.”

“In St. Louis and in the United States, when a black person interacts with a white police officer, the immediate concern is: Will he be treated with respect, or will they be allowed to make a call safely, or will they be harassed, beaten and killed because of the color of our skin?” Bowman said.

Marvia Gray was charged with municipal crimes of interfering with an officer and resisting arrest. Harms said the St. Louis County prosecutor’s office is still reviewing whether to file charges against Derek Gray.

The lawsuit said Marvia Gray suffered injuries to her tailbone, back, shoulder, knees and arms. Her son’s injuries included an open head wound that required stitches and metal staples, the lawsuit said.

Just do what the officers say when you're buying a television and then returning it.

What could go wrong?

Mellow
(05-18-2020, 08:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://apnews.com/ca9b17cc4aa6d469b28097ad91529055

Just do what the officers say when you're buying a television and then returning it.

What could go wrong
Not saying who did what wrong but there is a lot more to this story. I am anxious to hear all the facts.
Old news now but it belongs in this thread.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minneapolis-police-george-floyd-fatal-arrest-officer-kneeling-neck/

Quote:Video shows Minneapolis cop with knee on neck of motionless, moaning man who later died

[/url]

A video taken by an onlooker Monday evening shows a 
Minneapolis police officer keeping his knee on the neck of a motionless, moaning man at the foot of a squad car. The man, who was later identified as George Floyd, later died.

Tuesday afternoon, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo announced that four officers involved are now "former employees" with the department, CBS Minnesota reports. Mayor Jacob Frey tweeted, "Four responding MPD officers involved in the death of George Floyd have been terminated. This is the right call."

A police statement said officers were responding to a "forgery in progress." "Officers were advised that the suspect was sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence," the statement said. "Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car. He was ordered to step from his car.

Trending News

"After he got out, he physically resisted officers. Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance," according to the statement. 

The man died soon after, the statement said, adding: "At no time were weapons of any type used by anyone involved in this incident.  … Body worn cameras were on and activated during this incident."

Arradondo said at a press conference Tuesday that the FBI will lead the investigation into the incident due to the possible civil rights violation.

The man who died was identified as George Floyd by Ben Crump, a prominent civil rights and personal injury attorney who said he had been hired by Floyd's family.

"We all watched the horrific death of George Floyd on video as witnesses begged the police officer to take him into the police car and get off his neck," Crump said in a statement. "This abusive, excessive and inhumane use of force cost the life of a man who was being detained by the police for questioning about a non-violent charge."  

Two of the officers involved have been "relieved of duty status," Arradondo said. The officers are still receiving pay, but have no law enforcement duties.

The video, captured by Darnella Frazier, begins with the man, who is black, groaning and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe" to the officer who has his knee on the man's neck. The officer is white.

"Please," the man pleads. "I can't breathe," and continues to moan. An officer keeps insisting he get in the car, while the man repeatedly says he can't.

"My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Everything hurts. … (I need) water or something. Please. Please. I can't breathe, officer. … I cannot breathe. I cannot breathe." That was followed by more groaning.
[Image: george-floyd-pinned-down-minneapolis-cop.png#]Screen grab from video captured on evening of May 25, 2020, by onlooker Darnella Frazier shows Minneapolis police officer with knee on neck of "forgery" suspect.[url=https://www.facebook.com/darnellareallprettymarie/videos/1425398217661280/]DARNELLA FRAZIER / FACEBOOK
A female bystander points out the subject's nose is bleeding.

In an ongoing commentary permeated by cursing, a male onlooker says: "That's bulls**t, Bro. You're stopping his breathing right there, Bro. Get him off the ground, Bro. You're being a bum right now."

The man says the officer is "enjoying that. He's a bum, Bro. You could have put him in the car by now. He's not resisting arrest or nothing. You're enjoying it. Look at you. Your body language — you bum. You know that's bogus right now."

The female onlooker repeatedly urges the officers to check the subject's pulse. "He's not responsive right now," a bystander says. "He's not moving." An ambulance then arrives and takes the man away.

"You just really killed that man, Bro," the male onlooker says to the officer.

Frazier, who took the video, wrote on Facebook: "They killed him right in front of cup foods over south on 38th and Chicago!! No type of sympathy ??#POLICEBRUTALITY."

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey called the man's death "simply awful," and "wrong at every level" at the press conference Tuesday.

"For the better part of the night I've been trying to find the words to describe what happened and all I keep coming back to is that he should not have died," Frey said.

"What we saw was horrible, completely and utterly messed up," he said. "This man's life matters, he matters. He was someone's son, someone's family member, someone's friend. He was a human being and his life mattered."

Stay tuned for the union fighting it and them being rehired with back pay.  Whatever
Combined with the white woman calling the cops and saying “an African American man is threatening me” after a guy told her she can’t have her dog off it’s leash in the park...

For ****’s sake...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-26-2020, 09:47 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Combined with the white woman calling the cops and saying “an African American man is threatening me” after a guy told her she can’t have her dog off it’s leash in the park...

For ****’s sake...

Unsure what that episode has to do with Law Enforcement; as no charges were filed, but yeah, that lady was over the top. I believe the man actually regretted the lady getting fired for it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-26-2020, 09:47 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Combined with the white woman calling the cops and saying “an African American man is threatening me” after a guy told her she can’t have her dog off it’s leash in the park...

For ****’s sake...

(05-26-2020, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unsure what that episode has to do with Law Enforcement; as no charges were filed, but yeah, that lady was over the top. I believe the man actually regretted the lady getting fired for it. 

The lady is just another sign of racism alive and well in the united states and how white people think they can call the cops on black people for...checking notes...asking them to follow the law.

And he does regret her losing her job.  He's a decent human being.  Sucks for her, but that's what happens when you act the fool in public and doesn't change her actions.
(05-26-2020, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unsure what that episode has to do with Law Enforcement; as no charges were filed, but yeah, that lady was over the top. I believe the man actually regretted the lady getting fired for it. 

It relates to law enforcement because someone called 911 to falsely accuse another person of a crime to have them arrested for something they didn't do.  Obviously, the lady with the dog wanted to punish someone for asking her to leash her dog IAW the park rules.
(05-27-2020, 09:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: The lady is just another sign of racism alive and well in the united states and how white people think they can call the cops on black people for...checking notes...asking them to follow the law.

And he does regret her losing her job.  He's a decent human being.  Sucks for her, but that's what happens when you act the fool in public and doesn't change her actions.

But the cops did the right thing in this instance. Aren't that who we're referring to when we say 'Bad Boys"? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-27-2020, 10:37 AM)bfine32 Wrote: But the cops did the right thing in this instance. Aren't that who we're referring to when we say 'Bad Boys"? 

One in the good column.  Congrats.
(05-27-2020, 09:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: The lady is just another sign of racism alive and well in the united states and how white people think they can call the cops on black people for...checking notes...asking them to follow the law.

She knew what she was doing saying "an African American man is threatening me". The man in that video is lucky. The fact that people will use the police and lie about what people are doing, especially when it involves a black man, fuels this issue. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-26-2020, 08:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Old news now but it belongs in this thread.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minneapolis-police-george-floyd-fatal-arrest-officer-kneeling-neck/

Stay tuned for the union fighting it and them being rehired with back pay.  Whatever

I don't know if there will be union backing. What I have seen from the LE community has been nearly universal condemnation. I follow a lot of current and former LEOs on social media and every post about this situation I have seen from them is condemning it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-28-2020, 08:27 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know if there will be union backing. What I have seen from the LE community has been nearly universal condemnation. I follow a lot of current and former LEOs on social media and every post about this situation I have seen from them is condemning it.

But there was some looting during the protests Matt.  Ninja

All seriousness aside there will be an "internal review".  Maybe charges?  I don't think he's even been arrested yet.  Then we'll be told they were overcharged and a jury will find them not-guilty.  At least that is what happen the vast majority of the time.

Or this could be the rare occurrence where an officer kills an innocent person in the line of duty and is held responsible for it.

We'll see.
(05-28-2020, 08:54 AM)GMDino Wrote: But there was some looting during the protests Matt.  Ninja

All seriousness aside there will be an "internal review".  Maybe charges?  I don't think he's even been arrested yet.  Then we'll be told they were overcharged and a jury will find them not-guilty.  At least that is what happen the vast majority of the time.

Or this could be the rare occurrence where an officer kills an innocent person in the line of duty and is held responsible for it.

We'll see.

That guy's going to prison.  They protect each other when they can, but they aren't letting the whole ship sink because of one dumbass who really has no defense.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall