Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Time To Be a Free Agent S or CB
Interesting comments from Daniel Jeremiah one of NFL Networks talking heads today during the combine.

While watching this ridiculously talented group of DBs he said his takeaway of the day was how it was a bad time to be a free agent S or CB. Why throw huge money at a free agent DB when you can get what is normally a 2nd round DB in the 3rd or 4th this year?

Hopefully we get Kaptain Kirk at a discounted price due to this loaded class. Letting him hit the market is looking like a smart move. The last first round free agent Bama player we had in a contract negotiation after his rookie deal expired was Andre Smith. He was met with a cold market and finally signed when Mike Brown brought him in to the draft room and showed him they were about to take a tackle in the 2nd round if he didn't sign.

Kirk has a number of things working against him this year so hopefully we can get him at a fair price.

Daniel Jeremiah's troubling comment came not long after that. He said this was the year it would be OK to overpay for the free agent offensive linemen out there.

Really shallow OL class. So this will drive up the price of Zeitler and Whitworth. We already didn't have plans on paying a guard league leading money. And I don't know how good of an idea it is to give a giant contract to a guy who is already the oldest player at his position. I want Whitworth back but he has made it clear he is chasing the money. And he picked a good year to do just that.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 07:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Interesting comments from Daniel Jeremiah one of NFL Networks talking heads today during the combine.

While watching this ridiculously talented group of DBs he said his takeaway of the day was how it was a bad time to be a free agent S or CB. Why throw huge money at a free agent DB when you can get what is normally a 2nd round DB in the 3rd or 4th this year?

Hopefully we get Kaptain Kirk at a discounted price due to this loaded class. Letting him hit the market is looking like a smart move. The last first round free agent Bama player we had in a contract negotiation after his rookie deal expired was Andre Smith. He was met with a cold market and finally signed when Mike Brown brought him in to the draft room and showed him they were about to take a tackle in the 2nd round if he didn't sign.

Kirk has a number of things working against him this year so hopefully we can get him at a fair price.

Daniel Jeremiah's troubling comment came not long after that. He said this was the year it would be OK to overpay for the free agent offensive linemen out there.

Really shallow OL class. So this will drive up the price of Zeitler and Whitworth. We already didn't have plans on paying a guard league leading money. And I don't know how good of an idea it is to give a giant contract to a guy who is already the oldest player at his position. I want Whitworth back but he has made it clear he is chasing the money. And he picked a good year to do just that.
Well this link does not seem to support he is chasing the money.. chasing a Ring yes...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2017-andrew-whitworth-rumors-cincinnati-bengals-offensive-line/hn0fr259joaw1mu6wim6nwqyq 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 08:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well this link does not seem to support he is chasing the money.. chasing a Ring yes...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2017-andrew-whitworth-rumors-cincinnati-bengals-offensive-line/hn0fr259joaw1mu6wim6nwqyq 

True. In either category it is hard for the Bengals to compete. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 07:57 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Interesting comments from Daniel Jeremiah one of NFL Networks talking heads today during the combine.

This sure doesn't sound good for Bengal fans. We need Whitworth back, losing Kirkpatrick would not be terrible
and we definately shouldn't overpay for him for the reasons you speak of here Nati. I have the feeling we have
not yet reassured Whit that we truly want that ring, hence why he is not re-signed yet.

This could really bite us in the ass.

Great post BTW, it is just sad news for us.
Reply/Quote
Balancing that out, though, you can't have enough DB's as we move more towards rules that benefit passing over running. And for teams like us that could stand to add some depth, having a veteran who can come in and give you a solid game here and there is very beneficial and (usually) more likely than a third or fourth spot rookie stepping up in terms of consistency.
Reply/Quote
I still think Bouye and Gilmore get paid. Maybe not as much as they thought, but still.
Reply/Quote
Kirkpatrick will still get paid. There's still a lot of uncertainty with rookie DBs.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We've drafted 3 1st Round corners over the past 5 years...and NONE have started in Year 1.

To infer that good combine numbers equate to quality CB's...is just nonsense.
Reply/Quote
So there's been rumors that Kirkpatrick is gone and Logan Ryan may be a target for the Bengals.

Would anyone be happy with that swap?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So there's been rumors that Kirkpatrick is gone and Logan Ryan may be a target for the Bengals.

I've seen a couple reports that he might get $10 million per year or more.  If that's the case, I don't see the Bengals competing for him.
Reply/Quote
Would try and Keep kirk... A Jones wont be around much longer... Dennard hasnt inspired any confidence... That would leave us Shaw and WJIII(who hasn't taken a snap for us)
Reply/Quote
I heard Jeremiah say that and Deon immediately took issue.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So there's been rumors that Kirkpatrick is gone and Logan Ryan may be a target for the Bengals.

Why not just avoid the middle man and keep our own?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 01:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I heard Jeremiah say that and Deon immediately took issue.

I don't think the draft is going to keep proven NFL players from getting paid.
Reply/Quote

Of course i would be happy with that swap. Ryan is a better CB, but he will cost too much so it won't happen.
Reply/Quote