Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Baghdad Geoff at it again
https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-head-into-nfl-s-new-year
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I don’t remember our cap amount, but don’t they have like 45 million available? Where is he getting only 20 to spend with 11 going to picks?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 01:32 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I don’t remember our cap amount, but don’t they have like 45 million available? Where is he getting only 20 to spend with 11 going to picks?

The Brown family, my friend. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Plus the idea of cutting players to free up more cap.

I hate this guys math.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 01:32 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I don’t remember our cap amount, but don’t they have like 45 million available? Where is he getting only 20 to spend with 11 going to picks?

I guess he is assuming they cut none of the dead weight guys and are allotting 15 million for injuries???? That's absurd.
Reply/Quote
He said the same thing last year, I think it’s more likely he simply doesn’t understand how the cap works than knows anything about plans. I don’t know why people get worked up about it still.
Reply/Quote
I would not be surprised at all if the O-line stays the same with adding only one outside FA.

Small portion for that, and the rest to re-sign the team's current free agents.

There's all the cash and what's left over reserved miscellaneous.

They drop back to draft CB(Surtain/Farley)to replace WJII then use extra 2nd rounder for edge rusher(Lawson replacement)and another O-lineman/WR/TE.

I don't think it moves the talent needle enough to make the team much better. It just feels like moves they'd make.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: He said the same thing last year, I think it’s more likely he simply doesn’t understand how the cap works than knows anything about plans. I don’t know why people get worked up about it still.

This.

Go to Andre Perrotta if you want to read someone who actually knows what they’re talking about wrt the Bengals cap.

https://mobile.twitter.com/andreperrotta13?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Reply/Quote
It's Geoffrey, case closed.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what he's saying. He was wrong last year, and any write up that entertains the ideas of keeping Atkins and his current contract or re-signing AJ is grounds for his take being dismissed out of hand.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: He said the same thing last year, I think it’s more likely he simply doesn’t understand how the cap works than knows anything about plans. I don’t know why people get worked up about it still.

The only time he was wrong about the Bengals approach was last off-season. Hobson is probably more dialed in then any one else in the media as it come to the Bengals.

I would also add that we were in a different spot last off-season than we are now. Last off-season there was a ton of pressure to add players to appease Joe Burrow from wanting out and they didn't have any major free agents of their own.

Right now Joe seems happy and they have two major free agents in Lawson and Jackson. I personally find it hard to believe that they would lose two extra 3rd RD picks next year. Just to sign a free agent guard(a position they don't value) to a major contract.
J24

Reply/Quote

I’m not really upset, I just wish they would hire a guy who understands math and the cap better than I do, which isn’t hard
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:06 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’m not really upset, I just wish they would hire a guy who understands math and the cap better than I do, which isn’t hard

Yeah his 30 or whatever is the lowest number I've seen.  All other projections were in the 42-45 range before any cuts to current players.  He might be conveniently leaving out the 10 mil in rollover from 2020.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:59 PM)J24 Wrote: The only time he was wrong about the Bengals approach was last off-season. Hobson is probably more dialed in then any one else in the media as it come to the Bengals.

I would also add that we were in a different spot last off-season than we are now. Last off-season there was a ton of pressure to add players to appease Joe Burrow from wanting out and they didn't have any major free agents of their own.

Right now Joe seems happy and they have two major free agents in Lawson and Jackson. I personally find it hard to believe that they would lose two extra 3rd RD picks next year. Just to sign a free agent guard(a position they don't value) to a major contract.

So they're not under pressure now?  They just got his knee ripped out behind an offensive line that everyone and their grandma knew full well was not even close to good enough.  I'd say they're under even more pressure now, particularly with quarterbacks around the league playing hardball against organizations that failed to provide what they saw as sufficient roster management on their respective teams.  

Getting Burrow to come here was the easy part.  Proving that they aren't what the media has been and will keep saying they are is an ongoing process.
Reply/Quote

Yep...he says the same thing pretty much every year, and he's almost always wrong. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yep...he says the same thing pretty much every year, and he's almost always wrong.
Hobson should either volunteer or be volun-told to retire.  I'm sure he'd be alright.  
If the family is smart, they'll let Elizabeth Blackburn assume control of the propaganda machine.  She's a hell of a lot better at it than the guy we've been reading for what seems like forever.  I'd venture a guess that she's a bit more savvy than he is with the financials, as well.  
Rings of Honor and fan engagement and new uniforms are all fun, and I think tossing out the wet blanket that is Geoff Hobson would be another great symbolic step toward changing fan perception around the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:15 PM)samhain Wrote: So they're not under pressure now?  They just got his knee ripped out behind an offensive line that everyone and their grandma knew full well was not even close to good enough.  I'd say they're under even more pressure now, particularly with quarterbacks around the league playing hardball against organizations that failed to provide what they saw as sufficient roster management on their respective teams.  

Getting Burrow to come here was the easy part.  Proving that they aren't what the media has been and will keep saying they are is an ongoing process.
No there not under pressure especially if they sign a guy like Zeitler. They don't need to go on a huge spending spree this off-season.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:59 PM)J24 Wrote: The only time he was wrong about the Bengals approach was last off-season. Hobson is probably more dialed in then any one else in the media as it come to the Bengals.

Yup.  The media guy on the team's payroll is going to be the most informed of them all.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yep...he says the same thing pretty much every year, and he's almost always wrong. 

When has been wrong except for last season? We have been one of the least spending teams in free agency for a past decade.
J24

Reply/Quote

He is wrong every year on draft picks, and up until last year we hadn’t been aggressive in FA so he is just guessing based on history not necessarily knowledge.
Reply/Quote