Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Baghdadi's death: More details emerge from US raid
(10-31-2019, 09:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: It was a better photoshop than the one he posted of him watching the raid when he was really golfing at the time.  Mellow

From what I have read, the timeline is iffy there. The WH said the raid started at 3:30 when he was still golfing, but local reports suggest there wasn't any activity until about 5pm our time when he was back in the situation room. 

The photo was posed, but evidence suggests that Trump was watching it happen at the WH.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-31-2019, 09:27 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: From what I have read, the timeline is iffy there. The WH said the raid started at 3:30 when he was still golfing, but local reports suggest there wasn't any activity until about 5pm our time when he was back in the situation room. 

The photo was posed, but evidence suggests that Trump was watching it happen at the WH.

Eh, based on past performance I'm gonna go with Trump wasn't there, got a coloring book version and then "Trumped it up" at the press conference until I'm shown otherwise.

Also the photoshop he shared was from the DailyWire.  

Because...obviously.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Seems the same folks that had no problem with Time magazine running a photo-shopped image of Trump separating a crying girl from her family are now appalled by photo-shopped images. Personally I find/fought both to be in poor taste. But I must ask the is it true that Trump Green-lighted a successful Military Operation?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-31-2019, 12:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems the same folks that had no problem with Time magazine running a photo-shopped image of Trump separating a crying girl from her family are now appalled by photo-shopped photos. Personally I find/fought both to be in poor taste/

lol.  

"no problem"

Trump photoshops a photo of him doing his job because he was golfing at the time..."both" LMAO!
Trump gets as much credit for the killing of Baghdadi as Obama gets credit for killing Bin Laden. They both gave the go ahead to a dangerous operation to take out a terrorist leader. An operation, if gone awry, would be politically disastrous to them. All the rest of the crap is this thread is window dressing for partisan sniping.
(10-31-2019, 12:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems the same folks that had no problem with Time magazine running a photo-shopped image of Trump separating a crying girl from her family are now appalled by photo-shopped images. Personally I find/fought both to be in poor taste. But I must ask the is it true that Trump Green-lighted a successful Military Operation?

Folks implies plural. Only two of us discussed it, so I have to assume you're lumping me in with the anti crowd? I said I liked the post.

I think it's great that the President is giving credit to the military dogs and the work they do. He is even bringing the dog to the White House. 

(10-31-2019, 09:37 AM)GMDino Wrote: Eh, based on past performance I'm gonna go with Trump wasn't there, got a coloring book version and then "Trumped it up" at the press conference until I'm shown otherwise.

Time frame I saw from reporters references verified twitter users who lived in the area where the raid went down, tweeting about seeing American military aircraft. It lines up with the 5pm or so timeline of Trump in the situation room. 

(10-31-2019, 01:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Folks implies plural. Only two of us discussed it, so I have to assume you're lumping me in with the anti crowd? I said I liked the post.

I think it's great that the President is giving credit to the military dogs and the work they do. He is even bringing the dog to the White House. 

Yeah no...just me for daring to poke fun of his boy. Smirk

(10-31-2019, 01:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Time frame I saw from reporters references verified twitter users who lived in the area where the raid went down, tweeting about seeing American military aircraft. It lines up with the 5pm or so timeline of Trump in the situation room. 

Oh he was probably in that room at some point to get the photo taken but he wasn't there when the actual raid happened.  

I'd bet an oath of undying loyalty that can never be challenged to Trump on it.   Ninja
(10-31-2019, 01:04 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Folks implies plural. Only two of us discussed it, so I have to assume you're lumping me in with the anti crowd? I said I liked the post.

I was talking more about the multiple posts that include links of folks nationally having issue(s) with the photos. To be honest I've not seen any of the photos in question, I'm just against photoshopping photos to try to support your point.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I get everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of Trump staging the Sit Room photo, but was it really? Could it be possible that things were unplugged at the table for opsec so that only one stream was coming in or out? I get that "Trump bad!", I feel the same way, and I wouldn't put it past him to stage something like this, but let's move on.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-31-2019, 02:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of Trump staging the Sit Room photo, but was it really? Could it be possible that things were unplugged at the table for opsec so that only one stream was coming in or out? I get that "Trump bad!", I feel the same way, and I wouldn't put it past him to stage something like this, but let's move on.

The wires aren't the tell.  Obviously they go hardwired vs wifi I assume for security reasons.

The photo being straight on is one.  Everyone looking in a different direction might be one.  Trump in a full suit and tie an hour or so after getting off the golf course (if we believe that time line) might be too.

It's not the most important part of the story...just another part that adds to Trump's penchant for golfing over working.
(10-31-2019, 01:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was talking more about the multiple posts that include links of folks nationally having issue(s) with the photos. To be honest I've not seen any of the photos in question, I'm just against photoshopping photos to try to support your point.

Fair enough. In this case, it was more of a "this should totally be a thing because it would be great" photoshop rather than "this is a thing that is real". 

(10-31-2019, 02:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get everyone is jumping on the bandwagon of Trump staging the Sit Room photo, but was it really? Could it be possible that things were unplugged at the table for opsec so that only one stream was coming in or out? I get that "Trump bad!", I feel the same way, and I wouldn't put it past him to stage something like this, but let's move on.

This is why I say "posed". They posed for a photo. It wasn't a snapshot of them actually watching the raid. 

Contrasted with the Obama photo, it would seem to support the idea that he wasn't there for the raid, even though evidence suggests he was. I think the pose is more his style than a snapshot, but unfortunately it has led to questioning the veracity of the event. 

(10-31-2019, 12:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Trump gets as much credit for the killing of Baghdadi as Obama gets credit for killing Bin Laden.  They both gave the go ahead to a dangerous operation to take out a terrorist leader.  An operation, if gone awry, would be politically disastrous to them.  All the rest of the crap is this thread is window dressing for partisan sniping.

I have to agree with SSF regarding credit for the actual raid.

I don't care for Trump's 48 minute stroke off session for the media, but that really doesn't have anything to do with the actual raid.

Makes you wonder--why didn't OBAMA ever decorate a military dog?

I know some were wounded in A-stan.
(10-31-2019, 04:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have to agree with SSF regarding credit for the actual raid.

I don't care for Trump's 48 minute stroke off session for the media, but that really doesn't have anything to do with the actual raid.

If you judge such raids simply in terms of domestic impact they may or may not have for a president, you will indeed find they are pretty much alike--a "win" for the president if successful and a "big loss" if not (e.g., think of Carter and Operation Eagle Claw). This is mostly how such raids are discussed in the news.

But if you are tasked, at the operational level, with assessing the degree of risk in each case to those engaged, how such risks were vetted before hand, and their consequences for foreign policy, you are likely to see degrees of difference beyond "successful"--sometimes rather large.  

Once such special operations are over, the people who plan them don't quickly set about assessing their domestic impact. They care little about that. Rather, they go back over every part of the raid to see what worked and didn't.  If a helicopter almost collided with another at some point, they don't say "so what; the raid worked didn't it?" They want to prevent such close calls the inevitable next time. If there were enemy units in the area that weren't supposed to be there, they want to know why the failure of intel. Even a "successful" raid can look very scary from this perspective, with misjudgments in the chain of command.

Move up a level to policy planning, and people are looking at timing and consequences, and a strategic level of risk, recognizing that the danger to a US helicopter operating on the border of Turkey is rather different from the danger to one operating in Iran or Abbotabad, as will be the political consequences.  Whether the order to "go in" was off the cuff, hastened by earlier blunders, or the result of careful planning and deliberation--all that makes a very big difference to those tasked with carrying out such raids from the planners to the troops on the ground, even after a successful mission.  People who discern problems in strategy aren't dismissed as boo birds just looking for the dark lining of a silver cloud, but people insuring the next mission is successful and achieves the desired end. They can't be satisfied with successful="the same."
Trump cares.  Daddy didn't hug him enough and he cares.  A lot.

(11-01-2019, 11:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: Trump cares.  Daddy didn't hug him enough and he cares.  A lot.

LOL and he didn't get as much credit for breaking the Iran Deal as Obama got for getting France and Germany, along with US adversaries China, Russia and Iran to sit down at a table, follow US leadership, and agree on de-fanging Iran's nuclear program.

He needs another "successful" NK summit.