Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates - No Intentions Reporting to Camp or Play on Tag
(07-15-2022, 03:43 PM)J24 Wrote: He most likely signs the tender with both sides agreeing to no tag next season. 

Maybe. Important thing now is to have Dax Hill ready. The big issue there is the Bengals massive amount of cover 1... Hill didn't do that alot in college although I think that ultimately fits him he will have a large learning curve as a rookie.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
What a bunch of bull. He's not sitting out the season the Bengals return to win the Super Bowl. And he knows how sitting out worked for Bell, who was going to make Sooooo much more by sitting out. He'll play. Whether he'll be any good is the question.
Corey Bates.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
(07-15-2022, 03:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Maybe. Important thing now is to have Dax Hill ready. The big issue there is the Bengals massive amount of cover 1... Hill didn't do that alot in college although I think that ultimately fits him he will have a large learning curve as a rookie.

It would make sense for them to look on the market for a remaining vet cover 1 type that is looking for PT or more likely at final cuts.  Getting one now gives you a vet caught up to the playbook in case Hill doesn't blink.  Even if Bates comes back, Hill can play a lot of slot or dime back.  A cheap insurance move would go a long way. 
(07-15-2022, 03:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Maybe. Important thing now is to have Dax Hill ready. The big issue there is the Bengals massive amount of cover 1... Hill didn't do that alot in college although I think that ultimately fits him he will have a large learning curve as a rookie.

Probably a lot more cover 2  than single  High this season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
He’ll play.

If he doesn’t, he’ll get no sympathy from me. We’ll survive.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

(07-15-2022, 03:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Trade him and get what? Team has zero leverage in a trade if every other teams knows he isn't going to play for them. 

Jessie can say what he wants, but that's a ***** move not playing on the tag. Business is business. If you don't like the franchise tag, your union should get rid of it. 

Seriously lost a lost of respect for Jessie here. 

Let him rot at home for a year unpaid.... Bengals would retain rights i believe.   didnt work so well for the last guy that did this
(07-15-2022, 03:07 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Trade him and get what? Team has zero leverage in a trade if every other teams knows he isn't going to play for them. 

Jessie can say what he wants, but that's a ***** move not playing on the tag. Business is business. If you don't like the franchise tag, your union should get rid of it. 

Seriously lost a lost of respect for Jessie here. 

These are the types that end up getting hurt when they play on the tag too. Earl Thomas comes to mind. I'm over Jesse Bates...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Bates is the type of player that gets paid a lot of money for a losing franchise.

The Future:

Kid - "Why did Bates never get a ring"

Me - "Well Son he joined the 3-14 Jets and they were never able to field a winning team because Bates had taken an excessively large contract that was offered to him. While talented he didn't live up to the contract and ultimately the Jets were not able to pay other premier positions to succeed."

Bengals - Made the right move and not only did they draft his replacement and several other secondary options... they were able to allocate the $$$ they initially offered Bates for vet playmakers that led the Bengals back to the Superbowl.
[Image: 1500x500]
Dude's been crying about his money for 2 offseasons now and refuses to sign what is probably a fair deal.

He was watching his wallet and not the field for most of last year. They drafted his replacement. The Bengals can sign Bell and move on from Bates next season. I honestly would be fine if they rescinded the tag and looked to sign some stong DL vet who gets released... Larey O deserved to come back for cash and plays a more snap to snap impactful role.

Anyone thinking the Bengals are being difficult here, I think this has been going on for a long long time and the club knew this was going to happen. When the Bengals elected to NOT have Bates III jerseys in the pro shop when the new ones debuted, - when it had been previously annoiced that Bates III jerseys would be with the new ones for sale - I could see this being the end. The proshop guys even grimmaced when I asked them where it was and said there were some hang ups about how long he would be with the club.
Jessie is stoopid.

Sign the tag and then go hang out with Trae Waynes for about 1 week
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-15-2022, 04:53 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Dude's been crying about his money for 2 offseasons now and refuses to sign what is probably a fair deal.

He was watching his wallet and not the field for most of last year.  They drafted his replacement. The Bengals can sign Bell and move on from Bates next season. I honestly would be fine if they rescinded the tag and looked to sign some stong DL vet who gets released... Larey O deserved to come back for cash and plays a more snap to snap impactful role.

Anyone thinking the Bengals are being difficult here, I think this has been going on for a long long time and the club knew this was going to happen. When the Bengals elected to NOT have Bates III jerseys in the pro shop when the new ones debuted, - when it had been previously annoiced that Bates III jerseys would be with the new ones for sale - I could see this being the end. The proshop guys even grimmaced when I asked them where it was and said there were some hang ups about how long he would be with the club.

Didn't even think about that but it makes sense. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy

The good thing is if/when Bates sits out of training camp, that should mean more 1st team reps for Dax Hill.
That should help him be better prepared if/when he's called on as a rookie.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(07-15-2022, 05:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The good thing is if/when Bates sits out of training camp, that should mean more 1st team reps for Dax Hill.
That should help him be better prepared if/when he's called on as a rookie.

Good point.
(07-15-2022, 04:20 PM)J24 Wrote: Probably a lot more cover 2  than single  High this season.

I expect more a balance between cover 1 and cover 3. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

(07-15-2022, 04:23 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: He’ll play.

If he doesn’t, he’ll get no sympathy from me. We’ll survive.

Totally agree
(07-15-2022, 04:50 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Bates is the type of player that gets paid a lot of money for a losing franchise.  

The Future:  

Kid - "Why did Bates never get a ring"

Me - "Well Son he joined the 3-14 Jets and they were never able to field a winning team because Bates had taken an excessively large contract that was offered to him. While talented he didn't live up to the contract and ultimately the Jets were not able to pay other premier positions to succeed."

Bengals - Made the right move and not only did they draft his replacement and several other secondary options... they were able to allocate the $$$ they initially offered Bates for vet playmakers that led the Bengals back to the Superbowl.

There's nothing wrong with that, personally.
Plenty of people (majority?) work somewhere because of money.
Some like the accolades/environment/culture, but money plays a big part for many people.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Disappointing and pretty unprofessional imo to be letting contract talks interfere with your preparation. I know he’ll be working out etc but it affected him last season and on the back of a SB run you’d like everyone to rock up and work harder than ever.
It’s a business and he has that right but I usually find this type of stuff saying a bit about the character of a person.
Everyone want top money but not everyone is the best in their position.
Guaranteed money is for guys you can count on to perform. Bates has shown that he has off games even when he's playing for a contract. No way I'm guaranteeing him top safety money.
Just going to put this out there, I wouldn’t put it past the team to tag him again especially if he doesn’t receive his full salary this year.