Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates - No Intentions Reporting to Camp or Play on Tag
(07-16-2022, 08:15 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Said at the end of the season that there was only two choices, pay Bates or release him.

Everybody understands there will not be enough money available to sign him next year, so don't get making him mad and using the tag. He already mailed it in last regular season and may again if disgruntled. For the record I would much rather he mailed it in during league play and balled out in playoffs like he did though and still like the kid.

I don't hate Bates at all even, in this league you have to get your money while you can and this will probably be his biggest contract of his career, I get it.

On the Bengals side though the tag was only smart if you knew Bates would happily play on the tag.  Yet if there was a question at all about him playing or having his heart 100% into the team while doing so ? Then it was time to move along and use that $13 million on a FA that would help out Bengals more so during a win now season.

Now Bates is in a tough spot as well, being a more athletic safety has been signed. If he plays on tag and gets out played by a rookie then his value drops like a lead zeppelin before negotiations even begin on his contract.   It's a mess that should have been avoided imo, Bates earned his payday in the playoffs and we should have let him cash in since we were monetarily hamstrung with Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Wilson contracts looming.  

It's sad because I want both sides to win in this deal.

The thing is that there's not a player in NFL history, imo, that happily played being under the tag and, more so, in today's NFL where more and more teams are guaranteeing more up front $ in the first 1-2 years. Some surely deal with it better than others and alot of that depends on the spell they're under with their agents.

Also, I'd wager that there's not an agent (okay, maybe one or two) out there that is looking for the betterment of their player before they're looking at the most money they (the agent) can make. This type of negotiating and free wheeling really has to be understood better by the "said" player many times and just whose interest is really at stake.
The interesting thing about the franchise tag is it's supposed to be enticing enough for a player to want to play on it if they are tagged.
It's the average of the Top 5 player single-season salaries of the position from last year.
However, with the new contracts signed this offseason, Bates is lower than Top 5 paid safety this year, even with the tag.

So with him seeing these new deals and being basically 10th highest paid safety this year based on AAV, it's understandable that he feels the tag isn't enough still.

It is unfortunate he won't be reporting to camp, but until he signs his tag, he's not technically under contract and thus it doesn't make sense to report to camp.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-18-2022, 10:31 AM)higgy100 Wrote: The thing is that there's not a player in NFL history, imo, that happily played being under the tag and, more so, in today's NFL where more and more teams are guaranteeing more up front $ in the first 1-2 years. Some surely deal with it better than others and alot of that depends on the spell they're under with their agents.

Also, I'd wager that there's not an agent (okay, maybe one or two) out there that is looking for the betterment of their player before they're looking at the most money they (the agent) can make. This type of negotiating and free wheeling really has to be understood better by the "said" player many times and just whose interest is really at stake.

Good point.

I think the big appeal was not only the amount of $$ on the tag, but it was fully guaranteed.
With contracts being more fully guaranteed now, the tag is losing its appeal for players.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Next man up. Jessie Bates is 1 of 53.
This teams SB hopes don't hinge On Jessie Bates.
(07-18-2022, 10:44 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Next man up. Jessie Bates is 1 of 53.

Burrow is the only guy on the team i feel if he’s gone we’re screwed. Trey Hendrickson a far away second. We lose either of those guys and we just can’t operate the same
-Housh
(07-17-2022, 04:51 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Kirk cousins was way overpaid playing this game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great argument could be made that they're all over paid. It's not like the world absolutely depends on them catching footballs or tackling someone in matters of national security or something.. None of them are going to end the war in Ukraine and I seriously doubt football players as a whole are real eager to run into burning buildings to save children or any of those things. If you want to get right down to it football, baseball and really all pro sports are is mindless entertainment, something we would all survive just fine without.. It's bread and circuses as the Romans would say.. keep the masses entertained with trivial things so you can take over the world..
Sorry for interjecting my philosophical worldview on the Bates matter..  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

(07-18-2022, 10:45 AM)Housh Wrote: Burrow is the only guy on the team i feel if he’s gone we’re screwed. Trey Hendrickson a far away second. We lose either of those guys and we just can’t operate the same

Chase is most valuable after Burrow. Chase has a better chance at being number 1 at his position after next year even over Burrow. If what we did to Bates  to Chase I would be extremely mad.
(07-18-2022, 10:44 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Next man up. Jessie Bates is 1 of 53.

Some would argue that without Bates, Bengals would not have made it to the Super Bowl.
6 PDs and 2 INTs in the postseason is impactful.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(07-18-2022, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some would argue that without Bates, Bengals would not have made it to the Super Bowl.

No one denies he played well in the postseason it was the regular season he was just a guy.  wheres the consistancy from someone that wants top $$$$
(07-18-2022, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some would argue that without Bates, Bengals would not have made it to the Super Bowl.

He's the Joe Flacco of Safeties. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-18-2022, 12:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He's the Joe Flacco of Safeties. 

How'd that contract work out for Baltimore?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-18-2022, 12:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: No one denies he played well in the postseason it was the regular season he was just a guy.  wheres the consistancy from someone that wants top $$$$

True but the Bengals did end up getting to the playoffs, so one could argue Bates didn't jeopardize that.
And he definitely stepped up in the postseason.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Bates isn’t part of this team. We drafted his replacement. Bates can sit and steam. I don’t even think the Bengals will try to trade him. It’s not what they do. Now, if someone wants to get stupid and offer an overwhelming trade proposal, I get it.

But, Bates isn’t going to get that kind of interest from any other team.

Wonder when he’ll play again, and for whom? That’s the extent of my interest.

His agent played chicken with the wrong team.
Don't have the link anymore, but I saw yesterday the Bengal's offer would have made him the 3rd highest paid safety in the league. If that's true and he turned it down, screw him. Tell him to sign his tender so he can be traded. In no world is he a top 3 safety.
(07-18-2022, 01:29 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Bates isn’t part of this team.  We drafted his replacement.  Bates can sit and steam.  I don’t even think the Bengals will try to trade him.  It’s not what they do.  Now, if someone wants to get stupid and offer an overwhelming trade proposal, I get it.

But, Bates isn’t going to get that kind of interest from any other team.

Wonder when he’ll play again, and for whom?  That’s the extent of my interest.

His agent played chicken with the wrong team.

All true. Like I said, I wouldn't of paid my agent to do this shit. Pretty pathetic honestly.

This might of destroyed Bates career and all for money cause of false claims of being a top 5 Safety.

Newsflash you aren't there yet Jessie and now you might never be cause of a stupid agent.

Guy makes tons of money and cares nothing about his client. Otherwise he would of known who he was dealing with.

The Bengals FO will not overpay and they are the staunchest team about this in the NFL.

We are also the team with the highest ceiling and this should of been much more on Jessie's mind than paper...
(07-18-2022, 01:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't have the link anymore, but I saw yesterday the Bengal's offer would have made him the 3rd highest paid safety in the league. If that's true and he turned it down, screw him. Tell him to sign his tender so he can be traded. In no world is he a top 3 safety.

They offered to Overpay and he still said NO..

all thats left is to say GOOD BYE
(07-18-2022, 01:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't have the link anymore, but I saw yesterday the Bengal's offer would have made him the 3rd highest paid safety in the league. If that's true and he turned it down, screw him. Tell him to sign his tender so he can be traded. In no world is he a top 3 safety.

OMG!!!

WTF?

If this is true you are absolutely correct. Screw him. Whatever
(07-18-2022, 01:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true. Like I said, I wouldn't of paid my agent to do this shit. Pretty pathetic honestly.

This might of destroyed Bates career and all for money cause of false claims of being a top 5 Safety.

Newsflash you aren't there yet Jessie and now you might never be cause of a stupid agent.

Guy makes tons of money and cares nothing about his client. Otherwise he would of known who he was dealing with.

The Bengals FO will not overpay and they are the staunchest team about this in the NFL.

We are also the team with the highest ceiling and this should of been much more on Jessie's mind than paper...

I didn't realizd Bates was like this, but I guess he is.. with "some" NFL players it becomes more about ego and where they are paid compared to other players at the position. 

Depends.
Was it 3rd-highest safety but lower guaranteed money?
He's ultimately interested in securing the most guaranteed money he can.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

It's not the amount that is the issue, it's that only the first year's worth of the money was "guaranteed".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23