Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bates To Falcons
You have to agree that possibly losing bothe starting safeties is concerning.Hope they have a good plan moving forward.Maybe make up for it by going all out on the OL.
Reply/Quote
Great deal for Bates. Glad the Bengals didn't overpay him like the Falcons did. It is worrisome we didn't bring back Bell though. Hill was a bit concerning when we seen him on the field. Hopefully his mistakes were just rookie mistakes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: JB would rule in the XFL

I think my post implied that Burrow would be leading an XFL caliber team of players as the Cincinnati Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:02 PM)samhain Wrote: It's awfully early in the game to panic.  

There are still a ton of players out there that can fill holes on this roster, and as time wears on the prices will be a bit less eye-popping.  

The Bengals can still come out of this smelling like roses.  Jettisioning 30 year old safeties that want 10 mil per is hardly a crazy idea.  Same with the Bates deal.  

I hope like hell they don't spend big money on Hurst.  

This book isn't even half-written yet.  The only thing that would be discouraging to me is if they are playing the comp pick game in a year when they are legit Super Bowl contenders.  That would be difficult to digest.

Reminds me of the freak out when Lawson signed with New York. They picked up Hendrickson shortly thereafter.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We weren't going to pay him that much.
Good for Bates!

But at the same time? Atlanta?
Losing isn't fun, but he's set for life.

Bengals will have to rebuild the secondary.
Good thing we still have Lou.
Draft well and add a couple (cost effective) FAs with high potential and we can rebuild.

Our offense is the driving force.

Retool the oline and add to the secondary.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:25 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: You have to agree that possibly losing bothe starting safeties is concerning.Hope they have a good plan moving forward.Maybe make up for it by going all out on the OL.

How would signing offensive lineman make up for losing safeties?
Reply/Quote
That’s a nice payday.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:02 PM)samhain Wrote: It's awfully early in the game to panic.  

There are still a ton of players out there that can fill holes on this roster, and as time wears on the prices will be a bit less eye-popping.  

The Bengals can still come out of this smelling like roses.  Jettisioning 30 year old safeties that want 10 mil per is hardly a crazy idea.  Same with the Bates deal.  

I hope like hell they don't spend big money on Hurst.  

This book isn't even half-written yet.  The only thing that would be discouraging to me is if they are playing the comp pick game in a year when they are legit Super Bowl contenders.  That would be difficult to digest.

The same conversations happen literally every year on here.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 06:03 PM)Nepa Wrote: Tell us when we can start to panic. In one of the free agent threads, some were responding to all the free agent signings by our competitors by saying but these teams were all losing players as well. Well, the Bengals have now lost their two starting safeties, and good ones at that. I guess I'll try and temper my concern until someone tells me we will be replacing them in the draft, or to look on the bright side: compensatory picks.

The bengals lost their two starting safeties? Really? I was unaware. They partly prepared for this last year by drafting bates’ replacement. There are still good free agent safeties they can go after. There is still the draft. I don’t see them going into next year without having brought in a veteran safety somehow.

I’m taking a longer term view. Burrow will be extended. I’m hopeful Higgins and chase and Wilson will be too when their times come. Yes bates and bell are good players. They aren’t Ed reed or palamalu.

Would you like me to bring you a block of cheese to go with your whine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 05:57 PM)Tony Wrote: The Bengals are getting destroyed on Twitter. We might suck again lol.

Oh
No
Twitter is blowing up
Mellow

The needle on my concern meter has now increased by 359 degrees.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 08:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: The bengals lost their two starting safeties?  Really?  I was unaware.  They partly prepared for this last year by drafting bates’ replacement.  There are still good free agent safeties they can go after.  There is still the draft.  I don’t see them going into next year without having brought in a veteran safety somehow.

I’m taking a longer term view.  Burrow will be extended.  I’m hopeful Higgins and chase and Wilson will be too when their times come.  Yes bates and bell are good players.  They aren’t Ed reed or palamalu.

Would you like me to bring you a block of cheese to go with your whine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'll wait until the dust settles and then sign someone.
Reply/Quote
100% money driven decision by Bates - and good for him.

That being said, I'm not paying a safety that much unless he's Ed Reed
Reply/Quote
If we were going to pay someone I would've liked to see us pay Vonn Bell $8 million a year. That would be a better deal than he got.

Also, guaranteed money is a bad excuse. Especially on this team where players don't get cut. Regardless, the Bengals should already be looking into loans because even if the Burrow extension is team friendly in that respect they'll still need some. So why not get enough to cover Bell as well while you are at it?

But I digress. With both safeties gone I guess we are going to find out whether Lou really is as good as we think he is now. Hopefully Dax is developed, Tycen contributes, and maybe we find someone else affordable to add to the mix.

Also, I will say our priorities should be Burrow, then Oline. Everything else can take a back seat, and I mean everything.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 11:31 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: 100% money driven decision by Bates - and good for him.

That being said, I'm not paying a safety that much unless he's Ed Reed

And that's it. Like Minkah is worth his money. Derwin James. Maybe a couple others.

Bates is in no way close to those guys. And Bates isn't a bad player. He's just not at that level.

That said PFF had him ranked as the #4 free agent. So they like him A LOT.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 04:17 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: If we were going to pay someone I would've liked to see us pay Vonn Bell $8 million a year. That would be a better deal than he got.

Also, guaranteed money is a bad excuse. Especially on this team where players don't get cut. Regardless, the Bengals should already be looking into loans because even if the Burrow extension is team friendly in that respect they'll still need some. So why not get enough to cover Bell as well while you are at it?

But I digress. With both safeties gone I guess we are going to find out whether Lou really is as good as we think he is now. Hopefully Dax is developed, Tycen contributes, and maybe we find someone else affordable to add to the mix.

Also, I will say our priorities should be Burrow, then Oline. Everything else can take a back seat, and I mean everything.

I like Bell, but he's not great against the pass. In our position, we're going to be facing the Bills and Chiefs and need safeties that can cover. So I kind of get letting him go.

Now, the question is: Can we add one that can cover better than Bell?
Reply/Quote
Sixty four million..Hmmmph! Chicken feed! I make that kind of money every night in my dreams..  Mellow Actually I don't dream about money. I do alright with social security and cabinet making on the side.. At least my clothing is covered in sawdust.. I doubt Bates gets to wear man glitter every day! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 08:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How would signing offensive lineman make up for losing safeties?

Frees up more money.They can hopefully go after an elite RT now.Or,at least in the draft.The OL is the ONLY thing that has kept the Bengals from winning the SB the past two seasons.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 05:43 PM)pally Wrote:

Very nice farewell.  I wish him well.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 07:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: JB would rule in the XFL

Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling Burrow isn't headed for the XFL anytime soon..but as Neil Young sang, "I've been wrong before and I'll be there again... In the field of opportunity it's plowin time again.."
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote