in an interview with Dan Hoard...this does not sound good

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Not what I wanted to hear. Sick
Reply/Quote
Not surprised, but.....ugh
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like the Bengals offered 10 to 12 and Bates wants 15.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Just pay the man.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 01:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Sounds like the Bengals offered 10 to 12 and Bates wants 15.

(08-12-2021, 01:55 PM)motoarch Wrote: Just pay the man.

15 mil for 4 years sounds just fine to me for a guy that hasn't even reached his ceiling yet and is already our best Defensive player.
Reply/Quote
sounds like someone's thinking about interest incurred on cap rollover again.
Reply/Quote
Yikes, not the quote I wanted to hear.
Reply/Quote
It’s a little concerning BUT I do think a lot of the talk outside the negotiation room is just that, talk. I still believe something will get done but will be pissed if this guy walks!
Reply/Quote
He has every right to be frustrated.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 01:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Sounds like the Bengals offered 10 to 12 and Bates wants 15.

the Seattle Times has reported that the Seahawks have a 4 yr $17.5 million per year offer on the table for Jamal Adams.  $38 million of that guaranteed.  Adams supposedly wants $40 million guaranteed and bonuses paid out over 3 years not 4.  Bates is going to want something close to that offer

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
We can franchise tag him next year for an estimated 13.5 Million (current Over the Cap projections). We don't have too many other free agents so this is probably the plan, which means Bates might be playing in a contract year for the next two years if he doesn't sign.

I think the team has a lot of leverage here and Bates has struggled against the run before so that's probably why the team isn't giving him top dollar.

-If he plays well in 2021, we franchise him & maybe give him a top dollar contract.
-If he plays bad in 2021, we made a good choice in not paying him top dollar.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 02:18 PM)pally Wrote: the Seattle Times has reported that the Seahawks have a 4 yr $17.5 million per year offer on the table for Jamal Adams.  $38 million of that guaranteed.  Adams supposedly wants $40 million guaranteed and bonuses paid out over 3 years not 4.  Bates is going to want something close to that offer

Wow that's some crazy numbers. 2 years ago that would be Left Tackle or Edge Rusher contracts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 02:18 PM)pally Wrote: the Seattle Times has reported that the Seahawks have a 4 yr $17.5 million per year offer on the table for Jamal Adams.  $38 million of that guaranteed.  Adams supposedly wants $40 million guaranteed and bonuses paid out over 3 years not 4.  Bates is going to want something close to that offer

Jamal Adams is a 3x Pro Bowler, 2x 2nd Team All-Pro, 1x 1st Team All-Pro in his 4 years in the NFL who also rushes the passer with DE-like productivity.

Only way Bates can get something even close to that is by being a 1st Team All-Pro in 2021. In which case, they should gladly pay him in 2022. Otherwise laugh.

Bates was really impressive last year, but he hasn't had any kind of consistency in his career yet. Just back in 2019 he allowed 509 yards and 4 TDs in his coverage while missing 14.5% of his tackles. That's a ton of money to guarantee to a guy who you don't really know who he is yet. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

And depending on what you value more, Bates has actually been better than Adams in quite a few areas: INTs, PDs, and tackles per game (6.66 vs 6.13). 
Where Adams has been (way) better has been FFs, sacks, and TFLs. 

I don't believe the Bengals have ever paid a safety $10+ mill, so I would assume their offer is likely in the $9-11 mill a year range and Bates like is seeking $15+

The amusing thing too is Sam Hubbard just signed a 4 year, $40 mill extension. If they're willing to pay Hubbard $10 mill, they should be willing to go easily to $14 or $15 mill a year for Bates, who has been head and shoulders the better player through 3 years in their careers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Here is the gitch in the comparison.  The Bengals come out ahead by keeping Bates at less than $3 million this year and then making him the highest paid safety in the league next year.

If Bates wants the security of a long term deal a year before his contract expires then he is going to have to give a little back.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like Mikey wants more picks in the up coming draft
Reply/Quote
I will say, if you actually watch the interview and not go on Liscow's words, it doesn't sound NEARLY as bad as it appears, not even close. He's smiling and is pleasant throughout and he ends the interview with:

"I'm just gonna be the best team player I can be and I'll let my agent deal with the numbers and work something out."

That tells me it's not nearly as bad as it seems, but that's just me.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I will say, if you actually watch the interview and not go on Liscow's words, it doesn't sound NEARLY as bad as it appears, not even close. He's smiling and is pleasant throughout and he ends the interview with:

"I'm just gonna be the best team player I can be and I'll let my agent deal with the numbers and work something out."

That tells me it's not nearly as bad as it seems, but that's just me.

Liscow totally edited the quote to make it sound as bad as possible.

Quote:[quote pid='1046154' dateline='1628785873']

Quote:Cincinnati Bengals safety Jessie Bates III joined Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham for Thursday's Training Camp Report tweeted by the team, and suggested that he's not sure what he needs to do to prove that he's among the National Football League's top defensive backs.

"I think as far as my contract goes, I guess I haven't done enough yet to be considered one of the top safeties in this league, which is fine," Bates told Hoard and Lapham. "That's fine with me. I'm going to go to work just like any other day, my first three years being here."
He added that it would be the last time he speaks about his contract situation.

"I wish it was done today, obviously, but there are negotiations that have to happen between my agent and you know, upstairs," Bates told reporters late last month, per The Enquirer's Adam Baum. "That's a process ... I'm eager about, but it'll happen when it's supposed to happen. I truly believe that."

In February, Yates tweeted that Bates doesn't get the recognition he deserves for a player with his talent.

[/quote]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Liscow totally edited the quote to make it sound as bad as possible.

What a shit thing for Liscow to do!

That makes it seem like there is a general chance of the thing will still get worked out in time.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote