Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be Prepared to Barf over Bodine
He's getting a $1 million pay raise.

Is it because he played well?

Quote:He graded out at the bottom of the league in 2014-15 for his play, but was much better in 2016. However, Pro Football Focus ($) still had him graded as the 26th-ranked center in the league out of 38 eligible players at the position.

No.

It's only because he played alot.

Quote:The bump comes from a clause negotiated by the NFLPA in 2011's collective bargaining agreement as a "player performance escalator," which states that a player drafted in rounds three through seven in the NFL Draft would earn the bump if they played 35 percent of his team's offensive or defensive snaps or 35 percent playing time overall. Bodine has started every game in his three-season career, so he hit that easily.

The story is here. Sick Facepalm Attitude
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
lol
Reply/Quote
[Image: 92631.1419281062.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I hate unions! They pay mediocre people who fail to put in an effort like those who actually deserve it. SMH! 

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 08:17 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I hate unions! They pay mediocre people who fail to put in an effort like those who actually deserve it. SMH! 

When he realized what was going on, I bet Mikey pitched a fit to Marvy for allowing Bodine to "play" so many snaps and costing Mikey over $1million.  Actually I feel that way too and it isn't my money. Sick
BTW thanks for linking the Letter from Mikey. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Serves the team right for not upgrading the center position.

Too bad Paul Alexander can't be forced pay this" ransom" raise.

I say ransom because our center position is still missing after Years of poor play.
Reply/Quote
Sorry but Bodine was just as horrid this season as last season. He borders on being Eric Ghiacuc class bad.
Reply/Quote
Not speaking about Bodine, but I find that clause in general to be fair....
Reply/Quote
It is incomprehensible that Bodine is and will be our center next year.

Getting rated 26th in league is acceptable under Bengal standards.

By the way- someone explain to me why we wasted a first round pick on Z if we do not value guards and never had any intention of signing him to a second contact if he developed into an above average guard.

what a waste of a draft pick and 5 years developing a player.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 11:06 AM)bengals67 Wrote: It is incomprehensible that Bodine is and will be our center next year.

I'm still hoping the grab Jon Toth from Kentucky in the 4th or 5th round. He's a center that can play all 3 inside positions.....
Reply/Quote
Comments.

-Playing 35% of a teams snaps doesn't sound like much, but since the instituted this rule only about 25% of the players drafted in rounds 3-7 have qualified. I am guessing that it i higher than that for just the third round, but after that finding a good player in rounds 4-7 is more about luck than scouting.

-Not saying this to defend Bodine, but PFF's individual rankings are highly flawed. It it possible for a guy to be ranked behind another guy who both played fewer snaps and messed up more often. PFF keeps track of some good data, but their individual rankings are all messed up.

-Bodine looks like a bust, I predict we will draft guy to sit a year and replace him in '18. The Benglas only gave Ghiagiuc 2 full years as our starter before moving on from him. Kyle Cook was a good Center until he got injured in '12, but when he sucked in 13 they cut his ass. It is very rare for a fourth round pick to step in and start as a rookie so I was not surprised when he struggled as a rookie. I figured that if he was good enough to step in and start he would be gone way before the middle of the fourth round. But I expected him to get a good bit better each year, and he has not done that. And although I am slow to jusdge a player based on his first couple of seasons I also realize that a guy who has been in the year three full years in not suddenly going to get a lot better. And that takes me to my final point....

-If it was easy to find good starting Centers then there would not be any teams with a center worse than Bodine. The fact is that the 26th ranked Center is still a "starting" center in the NFL. The question is how much resources are you willing to use for an upgrade. I'd love to see use use a first or second round pick on a Center who might step in and possibly be an upgrade from day one, but Alexander's success with cast offs like Braham and Cook have clouded the vision of the front office. Instead my prediction is another fourth rounder like Bodine, Jonathan Luigs, and Eric Ghiaciuc. But instead of throwing him into the starting lineup they will let him sit a year behind Russell. And unless Bodine pulls off some major surprising improvements he will be shown the door like Eric and Kyle were.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 09:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not speaking about Bodine, but I find that clause in general to be fair....

rep.

By the third and fourth year of their rookie contracts there is a good sized group of players who are outperforming some veterans getting paid many times more than them.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 08:17 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I hate unions! They pay mediocre people who fail to put in an effort like those who actually deserve it. SMH! 

In all fairness, this rule is pretty cool.

Any guy drafted in the later rounds isn't making as much as the average NFL starter.  He has ZERO ability to renegotiate a deal until his contract is up per the CBA.

It's actually a pretty nice rule.
Reply/Quote
Ghiacuc was the starter as soon as Braham got hurt in 06 and also started all but 4 games on 07 and 08. I think we had to suffer through him for 44 games.

And of course he was another "Paulie" project player who piano man wanted.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 09:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not speaking about Bodine, but I find that clause in general to be fair....

Commie!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 02:16 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: In all fairness, this rule is pretty cool.

Any guy drafted in the later rounds isn't making as much as the average NFL starter.  He has ZERO ability to renegotiate a deal until his contract is up per the CBA.

It's actually a pretty nice rule.

Pinko!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: rep.

By the third and fourth year of their rookie contracts there is a good sized group of players who are outperforming some veterans getting paid many times more than them.

And that's how Jesus wants it, loser! You start letting the work people do actually determine their pay and you are on the highway to hell. Next you will be saying the minimum wage and cost of living adjustments and overtime are all good ideas too. Before you know it you will be arguing for profit sharing for workers and worker co-ops. Its insanity! What the hell is wrong with you? If Bodine or anybody else is dumb enough to take every snap that is his problem. He had a choice. He could have hid in the locker room or the tunnel or just walked around in the stands during games. Tell him to slack off like a real man and be grateful when his pay is docked as it is his employers right to dock it.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 11:06 AM)bengals67 Wrote: It is incomprehensible that Bodine is and will be our center next year.

Getting rated 26th in league is acceptable under Bengal standards.

By the way- someone explain to me why we wasted a first round pick on Z if we do not value guards and never had any intention of signing him to a second contact if he developed into an above average guard.

what a waste of a draft pick and 5 years developing a player.
I am certain this ia ALL Mikey Brownpants. Dip**** :paul:
Reply/Quote
The clause is fair. Its not their fault were so mediocre we played a horrible center so long.

But is on one else waiting for the Hobsin spin on this that will make it seems like Bodine is the best center ever somehow?

I can see the title now. "Russell Bodine's ironman career stands up to the best to ever play"
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 07:47 PM)Housh Wrote: The clause is fair. Its not their fault were so mediocre we played a horrible center so long.

But is on one else waiting for the Hobsin spin on this that will make it seems like Bodine is the best center ever somehow?

I can see the title now. "Russell Bodine's ironman career stands up to the best to ever play"

I'd be interested to see how ol Hobspin could polish that turd.

I guess he can bring up Hill's 1000 yard rookie season or sack numbers from 2 years ago. There's really not much positive to mention outside of the fact that he stayed healthy. Yay?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote