Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be prepared for Corner in the 1st
(04-21-2016, 11:08 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think (more like hoping) that the team has enough faith in Dennard and Shaw to put off drafting a corner till the later rounds. I still think Dennard is something special hiding up our sleeves and Shaw looked great last year. If we do draft a corner, he won't touch the field.

This would be my problem with picking a corner in round one.  There are positions of need on this team, positions where a first round guy could/should come in and contribute immediately.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 11:14 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This would be my problem with picking a corner in round one.  There are positions of need on this team, positions where a first round guy could/should come in and contribute immediately.

I'd rather see the Bengals take Artie Burns in Round 2. Burns would be a good CB to groom for a year or two while we await the fates of Kirkpatrick and Dennard.
Or take a CB in Round 3.

I hate the notion of drafting CB in the first when they are the fourth option. It takes away about 2 years of their contracts if no significant injuries occur in front of them.

If we want a 1st round pick that can contribute as a rookie, it will most likely be at WR or DL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 03:46 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Never thought about that but it would be perfect to make every indication that we're going to draft Apple, just so they waste picks/players on a trade to move ahead of us  ThumbsUp

Doesn't seem like our MO to be able to be that sneaky, but it would be great!

Could be enough to make Pitt offer minn a pick to jump us. If Doctson and Treadwell fall to 23 minn would be guaranteed one of them if they only drop to 25 and Pitt takes a CB. Then we'd get whichever WR we prefer
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 11:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd rather see the Bengals take Artie Burns in Round 2. Burns would be a good CB to groom for a year or two while we await the fates of Kirkpatrick and Dennard.
Or take a CB in Round 3.

I hate the notion of drafting CB in the first when they are the fourth option. It takes away about 2 years of their contracts if no significant injuries occur in front of them.

If we want a 1st round pick that can contribute as a rookie, it will most likely be at WR or DL.

I agree with you about first round guys and their contracts.  By not playing them as rookies, or with the case of Kirkpatrick and Dennard not until their third year, you lose a ton of value that was built into the current CBA.  People are still wondering exactly what they have in Kirkpatrick, and he is already on his fifth year option.  You take top, first round guys, and basically get them for "cheap" on their rookie deal.  If they are drafted to sit the bench, then you are losing that value.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 02:32 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I agree with you about first round guys and their contracts.  By not playing them as rookies, or with the case of Kirkpatrick and Dennard not until their third year, you lose a ton of value that was built into the current CBA.  People are still wondering exactly what they have in Kirkpatrick, and he is already on his fifth year option.  You take top, first round guys, and basically get them for "cheap" on their rookie deal.  If they are drafted to sit the bench, then you are losing that value.

Agreed 1 million %

The majority of the NFL looks for guys who can contribute right away. The Marvin Lewis theme of rookies and young guys cant play football as well as vets goes against their rule that it is a young mans game.

Hell Shawn Williams has been on the team 3 years. We are plugging him in to be a starter and we really dont have a very big sample size of live NFL football to know what we have.

Margus hunt is entering his 4th year. We still have no idea what he has.

Im pretty sure it was tank johnson that had to tell the coaches to let Geno play over him. Geathers was taking snaps from Dunlap.

Hardison is supposedly set to get significant snaps. Was he even active once last year?
Reply/Quote
Based on their draft history, the Bengals are very likely to select a first or second round prospect they've visited with or met prior to the Draft.

So that means it's most likely going to be Mackensie Alexander or William Jackson III if that was the case.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I was wondering when Lap was going to speak up. He said he wouldn't be mad if we took a DT or safety. He did talk about the corner position if one dropped. He also said that if we take a WR, he expects someone who offers up speed like Coleman or Fuller.

I'm curious if we'll hear from Lap again before the draft again because he usually tells us who we're targeting.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 04:32 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I was wondering when Lap was going to speak up. He said he wouldn't be mad if we took a DT or safety. He did talk about the corner position if one dropped. He also said that if we take a WR, he expects someone who offers up speed like Coleman or Fuller.

I'm curious if we'll hear from Lap again before the draft again because he usually tells us who we're targeting.

Which I still don't get because we need a possession receiver, not one of those guys.  All of those guys have focus issues, drop issues, route running issues, etc., so why spend a first-round pick on a guy like that when we need a sure-handed route runner like Michael Thomas?
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 04:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Which I still don't get because we need a possession receiver, not one of those guys.  All of those guys have focus issues, drop issues, route running issues, etc., so why spend a first-round pick on a guy like that when we need a sure-handed route runner like Michael Thomas?

Except you need a WR that brings more to the table than just being a possession receiver. What happens if AJ Green goes down? Without a WR like AJ Green, that passing game will flounder. It's why James Urban said he is looking for a WR that matches AJ Green's skill set. He said he hadn't found one since AJ, but that hasn't stopped him from looking.

If the Bengals really do want a size/speed prospect that can be dynamic but has occasional drop issues, Charone Peake would be a good candidate if the Bengals want a WR after the first round.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 04:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Except you need a WR that brings more to the table than just being a possession receiver. What happens if AJ Green goes down? Without a WR like AJ Green, that passing game will flounder. It's why James Urban said he is looking for a WR that matches AJ Green's skill set. He said he hadn't found one since AJ, but that hasn't stopped him from looking.

If the Bengals really do want a size/speed prospect that can be dynamic but has occasional drop issues, Charone Peake would be a good candidate if the Bengals want a WR after the first round.

Not to mention isn't that basically what Marvin Jones was? He was a big play guy that had the speed to beat the D deep and also had the ability to catch the short passes and make a play with the ball in his hands. 

If we want a WR to replace Sanu we can find those type of guys in the middle rounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 02:13 AM)phil413 Wrote: Even if you don't put CB as the TOP need, the talent pool is deep at other needs like the WR and DL so maybe they get CB out of the way first.  DT is very deep and in general they haven't been drafting DT's in the 1st in recent years.  If you look at any random 7 round mock, you likely get to say the late 4th round and say "I can't believe (insert DT name) is still here".  Depending on what they think of a guy like Braxton, maybe he adds to the say 5 or 6 WR's worth thinking about in the 2nd. 

I disagree fully. Outside of Docston, Treadwell, and Coleman the talent pool drops. Sure, Fuller has speed but he struggles to catch the ball. Boyd and Shephard are good prospects, but could certainly be gone b our 2nd pick. Miller is extremely overrated, he's going to be the next Dennard Robinson.

Then what's outside of that? Not many prospects. You get a WR in the 1st or 2nd round or else there's a significant drop off.

Not the case with cornerback.

Apple, Jackson, Howard, Alexander, Fuller, Burns, Sanchez, Russell, Davis, Hall. There's quite a few other ones.

Sure, some may be gone in the 2nd round, but there's multiple other choices in the 3rd-5th round. Not so much with the wide receiver position.

Also, the Bengals met with Sanchez, Davis, Alexander, and Jackson. So it seems like they may want to go with CB, but it may be a day 2-3 type of situation. As it should be. THere is talent
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 09:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'm a buckeye fan too and when Apple first declared I was surprised. If he had stayed in I think he would have been a top 10 pick next season if he progressed like I think he would have. He definitely has the talent but isn't ready to be a day one starter, luckily if we draft him he won't have to so I could get on board. That said there are probably 24 other players at better positions that I'd rather take in the first

I agree he should have stayed another year however he has everything you are looking for at the NFL level. He will have to improve his technique for sure as he has a tendency to be over aggressive with his hands. With that said.......CB is absolutely a premium position in the NFL and you can never have too many good ones.

I would like to see that list of 24 players that would still be expected to be on the boards at 24 that  you would select over Apple. I would think the only "better" positions at the NFL level would be QB and LT.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 06:51 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I agree he should have stayed another year however he has everything you are looking for at the NFL level. He will have to improve his technique for sure as he has a tendency to be over aggressive with his hands. With that said.......CB is absolutely a premium position in the NFL and you can never have too many good ones.

I would like to see that list of 24 players that would still be expected to be on the boards at 24 that  you would select over Apple. I would think the only "better" positions at the NFL level would be QB and LT.

I meant positions of need for this team not important positions on a football team. Also I said 24 players I'd rather have in this class meaning at least one of them will be available when we pick even if Apple is. I didn't mean there will be 24 players available when we pick that I would rather have. He's a mid-late first rounder right now in my eyes
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 07:09 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I meant positions of need for this team not important positions on a football team. Also I said 24 players I'd rather have in this class meaning at least one of them will be available when we pick even if Apple is. I didn't mean there will be 24 players available when we pick that I would rather have. He's a mid-late first rounder right now in my eyes

That makes much more sense. If you see him as a mid to late first guy then he would certainly fit for us. Consider we have an aging Adam Jones, Kirkpatrick, and Dennard. The jury is still really out on Shaw as to if he is a CB or S at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 07:24 PM)OSUfan Wrote: That makes much more sense. If you see him as a mid to late first guy then he would certainly fit for us. Consider we have an aging Adam Jones, Kirkpatrick, and Dennard. The jury is still really out on Shaw as to if he is a CB or S at the NFL level.

Yeah i woudn't hate the pick because I think he's a good player and has the potential to be great. I would just prefer to see someone who can help this year, like a WR, DT, or DE.
Reply/Quote
Apple is a good prospect. He's not a guy that id throw out there in his first year, but hes got all of the traits that show he can be a good corner in the league.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 04:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Which I still don't get because we need a possession receiver, not one of those guys.  All of those guys have focus issues, drop issues, route running issues, etc., so why spend a first-round pick on a guy like that when we need a sure-handed route runner like Michael Thomas?

If you are talking about Fuller i get it Brad.

But Corey Coleman is the most explosive playmaker in this entire Draft.

You would be VERY happy to see him in stripes on Sundays.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 06:26 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I disagree fully. Outside of Docston, Treadwell, and Coleman the talent pool drops. Sure, Fuller has speed but he struggles to catch the ball. Boyd and Shephard are good prospects, but could certainly be gone b our 2nd pick. Miller is extremely overrated, he's going to be the next Dennard Robinson.

Then what's outside of that? Not many prospects. You get a WR in the 1st or 2nd round or else there's a significant drop off.

Not the case with cornerback.

Apple, Jackson, Howard, Alexander, Fuller, Burns, Sanchez, Russell, Davis, Hall. There's quite a few other ones.

Sure, some may be gone in the 2nd round, but there's multiple other choices in the 3rd-5th round. Not so much with the wide receiver position.

Also, the Bengals met with Sanchez, Davis, Alexander, and Jackson. So it seems like they may want to go with CB, but it may be a day 2-3 type of situation. As it should be. THere is talent

I agree with this 100%.  Outside of the first tier of receivers, there is a drop off to the 2nd tier of receivers.  After the 2nd tier of receivers are gone.......there are extremely slim pickings for the rest of the draft. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Its possible as the NFL rules push toward high scoring games talent on the defensive side becomes more valuable. WR is a need for sure. I just dont know if the value is there with the players on the board. Coleman could be very good but we have also seen explosive players bust out of the league quickly too.
Reply/Quote
Just wanted to pimp my boy Kendall Fuller a little harder:

There is a very good chance he would have been battling Ramsey for best CB in the draft had he remained healthy.

His medical recheck at Indy produced good news. Most likely ready to go by mini-camps that occur before training camp.

His brother Kyle went 14 over all and Kendall is much more talented

IF he is still there at 24 I'd love to hear his name called.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote