Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears block Bengals to interview Vic Fangio
But his contract is up Tuesday and can interview then.

This is the type of DC I hope we could hire. Could be a game changer type like the hiring of Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
Zimmer is the man which is why I will be pulling fir the Vikings in the playoffs. If Vic can bring anything close to what Zimmer brought to Cincinnati? I’d be excited to have him.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well it would bring me great joy if we can land Fangio
Reply/Quote
This seems very pretty of Chicago given the close proximity of his contract being up and the uncertainty at their HC position moving forward. Clearly.... CLEARLY the Bengals aren't in the same tenuous position of if their coach will return or not.

Maybe Chicago is buying time to throw money at him, but I'm guessing that is not the case. It's not like the Bengals are a divisional or conference rival
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 11:38 AM)PDub80 Wrote: This seems very pretty of Chicago given the close proximity of his contract being up and the uncertainty at their HC position moving forward. Clearly.... CLEARLY the Bengals aren't in the same tenuous position of if their coach will return or not.

Maybe Chicago is buying time to throw money at him, but I'm guessing that is not the case. It's not like the Bengals are a divisional or conference rival

Yeah, seems like a dick move pointed at Cincinnati, unless they are trying to resign him themselves...
Reply/Quote
Now this is someone with a pretty good resume. As an added bonus, he's a 60 year old career coordinator, so not likely to be plucked later.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 11:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, seems like a dick move pointed at Cincinnati, unless they are trying to resign him themselves...

I stumbled upon an article that was telling that the Bears players are really pulling for Fangio to stay with Chicago.  My guess would be that rather than a "dick move" toward the Bengals, per se, I think it more the Bears making a last ditch effort to come to terms with Fangio.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Would love to see Fangio come to Cincy. Great track record.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I stumbled upon an article that was telling that the Bears players are really pulling for Fangio to stay with Chicago.  My guess would be that rather than a "dick move" toward the Bengals, per se, I think it more the Bears making a last ditch effort to come to terms with Fangio.

Only way he stays is as DC and so far DeFillipo is the only one who has said he will keep him on. Plus they still have a few more candidates to interview and can’t hore anyone until they are out of the playoffs. We have plenty of time to hire him away.
Reply/Quote
Wasn't he in SF under Harbaugh when they were actually good? I like it. Even if they don't land him, it's encouraging to see them consider him an option.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:27 PM)samhain Wrote: Wasn't he in SF under Harbaugh when they were actually good?  I like it.  Even if they don't land him, it's encouraging to see them consider him an option.

He did well with Carolina, even before SF.  I think that he's been around for around 30 years.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He did well with Carolina, even before SF.  I think that he's been around for around 30 years.

3-4 guy, too right?  Would be interesting, if so.  It would be exciting to see a scheme switch.  As Bengal fans, any change excites us in the stagnant swamp of Marvin/Mike world.  Not sure how awesome it would be in terms of immediate results, though.  I think it might waste the talent of the best player on defense (Geno).

Most teams that make the switch have an adjustment period before they become proficient in a new scheme, too.  
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:35 PM)samhain Wrote: 3-4 guy, too right?  Would be interesting, if so.  It would be exciting to see a scheme switch.  As Bengal fans, any change excites us in the stagnant swamp of Marvin/Mike world.  Not sure how awesome it would be in terms of immediate results, though.  I think it might waste the talent of the best player on defense (Geno).

Most teams that make the switch have an adjustment period before they become proficient in a new scheme, too.  

Sure would change the complexion of things heading into FA and the draft. 

I don't know why so many feel like a scheme change would somehow cripple Geno Atkins.  The guy is pretty versatile, he can play anywhere on the defensive line and be effective.  I don't feel like you put him at NT, but I think he would be great at DE in a 3=4.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We should do whatever we can to get every coach from the Bears. They only won 5 games this year; however, they swept the AFC North.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure would change the complexion of things heading into FA and the draft. 

I don't know why so many feel like a scheme change would somehow cripple Geno Atkins.  The guy is pretty versatile, he can play anywhere on the defensive line and be effective.  I don't feel like you put him at NT, but I think he would be great at DE in a 3=4.

His stature and build are ideal for the under tackle spot in a 4-3. He's a physically unique player who's short and mega-strong/explosive.  Usually 3-4 DTs have a bit more height to them.  He may indeed be good in a 3-4, but he's Wolverine in a 4-3 (i.e. the best there is at what he does, lol).  I hate to give up a bird in the hand for an experiment.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 03:22 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: But his contract is up Tuesday and can interview then.

This is the type of DC I hope we could hire. Could be a game changer type like the hiring of Zimmer.

This would be a big hire in my eyes. I would love to see us as a 3-4 front. I could see Lawson really benefiting

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 12:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure would change the complexion of things heading into FA and the draft. 

Also, I'd immediately sign a 3-4 NT in FA if that were the goal.  No transitions for in-house guys, no screwing around.  Get a guy that's done it before and done it well.  Get an anchor to ease the transition.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:24 PM)samhain Wrote: His stature and build are ideal for the under tackle spot in a 3-4.  Usually 3-4 DTs have a bit more height to them.  He may indeed be good in a 3-4, but he's Wolverine in a 3-4 (i.e. the best there is at what he does, lol).  I hate to give up a bird in the hand for an experiment.

Geno plays low, with great quickness and leverage.  He would be a matchup nightmare for OTs, especially the really tall 6'6"-6'8" ones that seem to be the style these days.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Geno plays low, with great quickness and leverage.  He would be a matchup nightmare for OTs, especially the really tall 6'6"-6'8" ones that seem to be the style these days.

I mistyped and edited a couple of things in that post.
Reply/Quote
Weren't Jordan Evans and Carl Lawson from 3-4 defenses in college? Im not sure.
Reply/Quote