Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Beating a dead horse, but.....
(11-02-2022, 11:35 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jonah has flashed and is still super young. He had a putrid game against the Browns but had one of the best games of his career against the Falcons. I really think he struggles against elite talent - let's also not forget he dislocated his knee a few weeks ago. The highs and lows are just crazy with him. 

Didn't the Bengals already pick up his fifth year?  Which is next year?  Kind of stuck with him, I guess.  I would actually give Adeniji a shot at LT and see what we have there.  His struggles at guard were glaring, but he has been much better this year at tackle.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 12:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I have little doubt we will be drafting a running back early in this next draft.

Wasting an early pick on a RB would be stupid as hell when they need a tackle and CB.  Heck, I would imagine if we just had Chris Evans platooning with Perine and maybe Jacques Patrick a lot of this would be solved.  But, none of those guys are getting $10 million so....
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Seriously think we need to think about starting Adeniji or D'Ante Smith over Jonah and Perine over Mixon and go RBBC.

Evans made a nice 25+yard catch on Sunday night and we never saw him again. I mean, I think there are ways that this
team can overcome the poor play of these 2 players, bench them and use Perine and the TE's to help chip the Ends and 
use Perine and Evans in the passing game with more middle RB and TE screens as an extension of the run game like the
Bills do.

This dead horse needs to be beat lol

I know they are still in it, but we should try to get some real game experience on Adeniji at LT and perhaps a series or two with Smith at RT.  I think, if nothing else, it might send a notice to the "starters" and the RB should have gone to more committee with SERIES changing RBs, not downs, before the damn season even started.  

Competition ALWAYS improves the breed.  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 09:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wasting an early pick on a RB would be stupid as hell when they need a tackle and CB.  Heck, I would imagine if we just had Chris Evans platooning with Perine and maybe Jacques Patrick a lot of this would be solved.  But, none of those guys are getting $10 million so....

I tend to agree, especially because it positions a team to pay said RB a big chunk of money when their rookie deal ends. That said, Bijan Robinson would look pretty sweet on the roster. If he's there when the Bengals pick and is the best player available, do they take him?
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 02:13 AM)Go Cards Wrote: It's never a good thing to give RB's big contracts unless they actually are elite imo.  Mixon never has been elite and would never have even been drafted by Zac per punching that girl anyway.

It was a mistake paying up for him or any RB unless they're the franchise. We are stuck with him and doubt anybody will give anything for him now and will have to flat out release him to part ways most likely, and we should do so after season. Could have traded him last off season possibly and used the money elsewhere, but that ship has sailed.

Have trusted the coaches opinion on this per seeing them in practice, but it is odd they haven't  benched him during a game when he's struggling to at least try and motivate him or see what they have in the other two. Had a great opportunity to do so in Browns game per being a blowout strangely stayed pat.

Oh if they had just taken Dalvin Cook like I told em to.... LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 11:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That may very well be the case, but from an optics standpoint, going down on first contact like he has been after what we've known him to be capable of, gives the appearance of a complete lack of effort or drive.

I know its QB vs RB, but Mixon's problems kind of remind me of Russell Wilson's. He just doesn't seem to see the field well or have a feel for how the play will develop. 
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 02:26 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Off topic but for those who wonder if Zac or Duke is picking the players would point to Zac saying what guidelines he searches for in players. National Champions (winners), captains, and coaches sons.

Seems they lean heavily in that direction and think Zac is the one deciding, but obviously weighs in Dukes input.
Think you could also see different trends when coaches changed throughout the years imo.

Anyway back to Mixon sux this year

It's been said it's a joint effort. I'd say the staff has its favorites, and then the criteria you outlined. If they can't get their guy, Duke and the scouts find similar players.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 07:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good point, however it would demonstrate that the team is not willing to settle for what appears to be half hearted effort.  If player A won't hit the hole with enthusiasm, then let's see if player B understands the assignment.

I think player B has proven he understands the assignment, I just don't think he's dynamic enough to pop many big ones. That said, 4-6 yards is better than 2. People also forget that Perine can catch the ball...and even make a good play at times. He scored a big TD against KC.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: ....Jonah and Mixon have been absolutely dreadful this year. Joe Mixon may be the biggest reason for our offensive woes. His pass blocking is atrocious, and his running not much better. Conversely, Perine has not allowed a single pressure all year. Williams has not been much better than Mixon.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/02/bengals-face-uncomfortable-problems-joe-mixon-jonah-williams/

I said last year Jonah was not good enough and he allowed 10 sacks last year and on pace to exceed that number this year.  It simply is not acceptable.  Joe Mixon is near the bottom in blitz pick up, breaking tackles after contact, and other categories so it is quite unacceptable.  Both Jonah and Mixon have another year with Bengals which means they will have to be cut.  Not sure though.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 11:51 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I said last year Jonah was not good enough and he allowed 10 sacks last year and on pace to exceed that number this year.  It simply is not acceptable.  Joe Mixon is near the bottom in blitz pick up, breaking tackles after contact, and other categories so it is quite acceptable.  Both Jonah and Mixon have another year with Bengals which means they will have to be cut.  Not sure though.  

Jonah is due $12M+ (fully guaranteed) on that 5th year option, they're not going to pay him $12M+ to go away.

Cutting Mixon will save $7.3M in cap, but they would still be paying $5.5 in dead cap to make him go away.  That will be a hard sell to the Bengals management.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jonah is due $12M+ (fully guaranteed) on that 5th year option, they're not going to pay him $12M+ to go away.

Cutting Mixon will save $7.3M in cap, but they would still be paying $5.5 in dead cap to make him go away.  That will be a hard sell to the Bengals management.

Geno’s was $5.2 last year, so there’s at least a recent precedent.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 12:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Geno’s was $5.2 last year, so there’s at least a recent precedent.

Good catch, I forgot that they ate dead money on Geno.  Maybe there is a chance that they move Mixon out the door?  However, I feel like Jonah is going to have to sink or swim, because I don't think that there is any way to retract the 5th year option, is there?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 12:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good catch, I forgot that they ate dead money on Geno.  Maybe there is a chance that they move Mixon out the door?  However, I feel like Jonah is going to have to sink or swim, because I don't think that there is any way to retract the 5th year option, is there?

Yeah, we’re definitely stuck with Jonah for at least next year.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That 4.43 40 time is a bit deceptive, isn't it?  If that were his true, natural speed, he'd be out running 70% of the DBs in the league, and rarely ever getting ran down from behind.

I've always had this idea that the timed 40s for the combine and pro days were a bit misleading, as those guys get lean and train like track athletes for months leading up to those testing sessions.

40 times should really be used to confirm the speed displayed on film. So much technique goes into it that it can also be used to evaluate how coachable an athlete is.

Being fair, he had 11 20+ yard runs and 3 40+ yard runs in his sophomore season.  He was explosive early in his career, but backs like him break down so quickly.  He probably runs nowhere close to that 4.43 now.  I mean, go back and look at that TD against the Lions last year and Chase just blows by him like he's standing still.  The guy is just used up.  It doesn't excuse his terrible blocking, but he looks physically done.  Not his fault, but we really should've seen this coming and addressed it(or not extended him in the first place).
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 12:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good catch, I forgot that they ate dead money on Geno.  Maybe there is a chance that they move Mixon out the door?  However, I feel like Jonah is going to have to sink or swim, because I don't think that there is any way to retract the 5th year option, is there?

Honestly, I think Jonah deserves another year with a different OL coach.  He looked solid under Turner, but has regressed under Pollack.  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 09:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know they are still in it, but we should try to get some real game experience on Adeniji at LT and perhaps a series or two with Smith at RT.  I think, if nothing else, it might send a notice to the "starters" and the RB should have gone to more committee with SERIES changing RBs, not downs, before the damn season even started.  

Competition ALWAYS improves the breed.  

Not against it. It is what Billy B does all the time in New England and it works.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 09:41 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I tend to agree, especially because it positions a team to pay said RB a big chunk of money when their rookie deal ends. That said, Bijan Robinson would look pretty sweet on the roster. If he's there when the Bengals pick and is the best player available, do they take him?

In the first round?  Absolutely not!  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 01:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not against it. It is what Billy B does all the time in New England and it works.

AND Buffalo....AND KC....AND Philly.  What do those three teams have in common?  I swear to God if I see 15 rushes with Mixon right up the gut that never bounce outside (because he doesn't see it or is too slow) and they average 2.5 yards per carry, two things are going to happen:  One, I'm going to vomit.  Two, they are going to lose.  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2022, 02:45 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: AND Buffalo....AND KC....AND Philly.  What do those three teams have in common?  I swear to God if I see 15 rushes with Mixon right up the gut that never bounce outside (because he doesn't see it or is too slow) and they average 2.5 yards per carry, two things are going to happen:  One, I'm going to vomit.  Two, they are going to lose.  

Mixon's problem is actually the opposite - he ALWAYS tries to bounce outside even with a hole right in front of him. Perine does the right thing - accelerate and hit the hole as fast as possible. 
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote