Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beer Of Choice?
(05-25-2015, 10:38 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Let's hear it, fellas.  What are your favorite beers?

Personally, I'm a casualty of the craft beer craze.  I'd have it no other way though.  I still dig a few classic beers.  Corona (I know...you all think it's dirty) Guinness, and Stella are probably my favorite.

I'm really digging the local beer scene in Cincinnati though.  MadTree and Rhinegeist make some great drinks and drinking them right where they're brewed can't be beat.  Plus you get the benefit of supporting the local industry.

My favorite beer right now though is Kona Castaway.  If you have a chance to try it, it's worth your time.

I have had a few of the Kona beers. Not bad.

I like the Reinghest Cougar beer. It has move flavor than your traditional Bud Light, etc. but doesnt go over the edge. Im not a fan of the intensely hopped IPAs.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Someone brought up Oktoberfest. During the fall months, I love to try every Pumpkin beer I can get my hands on. Sam Adams Fat Jack pumpkin beer is a really good one.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:32 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: All excellent choices my friend.

You mention summer beers, have you had White Rascal by Avery?  I admire your set up.

BTW a friend if mine works for Oskar Blues.

I haven't had that, I'll add it to my list for stuff to look for at the shop though. I'm always interested to try out some new wits for the BBQ season. I've been looking for some Avery beers, I know that there are some quality brews from Boulder, CO. I've had their Out of Bounds stout as it's pretty easy to find almost anywhere, but I haven't had luck finding The Czar, Uncle Jacob's, or Mephistopheles. I'll keep an eye out for their witbier to try though!

Your friend is the luckiest person alive lol that brewery is magical. I usually drink at least 1 beer from them per week as they're one of my go-tos. Dales Pale Ale is great, Old Chub is just as solid of a scotch ale as you can find, and Ten Fidy is marvelous and probably my favorite beer of all time even though it's not really "rare" in most areas. You should tell your friend that they need to add a Ten Fidy pint glass to their website so I can buy a couple Big Grin
Reply/Quote
I've got a few, depending on the situation/occasion.

Get drunk beer: Bud Light. Cause it's what everyone has. Although I do have good memories of Rolling Rock from college, but it's been ages since I've had one. I dunno, I just remember it as a very drinkable beer.

Have with a meal: Blue Moon Belgian white. I was really turned off to them when I noticed they were served with an orange (anyone remember those man law commercials? "Don't fruit the beer!" But it grew on me as a decent beer.

Any situation beers: Long Trail (from VT) I'm especially a fan of the Long Trail Ale, Blackberry Wheat, and Hibernator.

I'll try just about any beer. Not a beer snob, but I like trying 'em out. The only ones I'm not a fan of are the extra-dark beers. I also like checking out local/regional brews. Maybe it's just me, but I think they try harder.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 01:03 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I haven't had that, I'll add it to my list for stuff to look for at the shop though. I'm always interested to try out some new wits for the BBQ season. I've been looking for some Avery beers, I know that there are some quality brews from Boulder, CO. I've had their Out of Bounds stout as it's pretty easy to find almost anywhere, but I haven't had luck finding The Czar, Uncle Jacob's, or Mephistopheles. I'll keep an eye out for their witbier to try though!
The White Rascal is probably my favorite wit. Heavy notes of coriander (which is why I like it, spicier not fruity)
Quote:Your friend is the luckiest person alive lol that brewery is magical. I usually drink at least 1 beer from them per week as they're one of my go-tos. Dales Pale Ale is great, Old Chub is just as solid of a scotch ale as you can find, and Ten Fidy is marvelous and probably my favorite beer of all time even though it's not really "rare" in most areas. You should tell your friend that they need to add a Ten Fidy pint glass to their website so I can buy a couple  Big Grin

Yea I know he is, every time he comes into town I remind him of what an azzhole he is...lol. Seriously though he's a good dude and knows his beer for sure. I'll let him know you need some pint glass, though he has little if anything to do with the website lol.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:40 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I have had a few of the Kona beers. Not bad.

I like the Reinghest Cougar beer. It has move flavor than your traditional Bud Light, etc. but doesnt go over the edge. Im not a fan of the intensely hopped IPAs.

I Love the Hops lol...

Hofbruhuas dunkel is probly my #1
I enjoy a good Arrogant Bastard when they arent charging $10 for 1
Im big on the Craft Beer craze going on.

Sense i had my first Hofbru Dunkel... I rarely drink "domestic" beers anymore. Those watered down beers are only good for drinking games for me now. And even then i would rather just use an IPA.

Do enjoy good porters as well.... DeiselPunk Porter is one of my favorite river beers (for drinking while on the river)

When im out And need a more normal beer i drink Yuengling now.

Nothing with the word Light or Lite in it....
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:09 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Do you, by any chance, live in Staunton VA?  I was at Shenandoah NP last summer and stayed in a cabin there.  We stopped at one of the breweries in town and I recall there being a couple more close by.

It's a nice little area.  If that's where you stay, you're a lucky guy.

I live just up the road about 20 miles, in Harrisonburg. I spend a lot of time in Staunton because it is so close and has some awesome stuff (Frontier Culture Museum, American Shakespeare Center, etc.). But yes, yes I am a lucky guy. This is a beautiful area and even though I live in a "city" I only need to drive 5 minutes before I can find cow pastures and fields of crops and mountains in every direction.

Wouldn't trade it for anything.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 02:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I enjoy a good Arrogant Bastard when they arent charging $10 for 1

Do enjoy good porters as well.... DeiselPunk Porter is one of my favorite river beers (for drinking while on the river)

1. Where do you live?! Arrogant Bastard is $4 for a 22oz bomber at the grocery store down the road from my house. Stone is one of the "big" micro companies so I can't believe that much of a markup even if you're a good distance from the brewery, holy crap man that's brutal lol

2. I'm not a fan of World Brews and honestly haven't heard much good about them from any of my friends. I'm not sure if you happen to like their porter more than most people for whatever reason or if you just haven't had many different ones, but if it's the latter then I would have a ton of recommendations. So many readily available porters are quite a delight if you're into that style. Anything from Founders, Deschutes, Bells, or Great Lakes should be easy to find and delicious. If you're into the higher ABV baltic porters I'd try out Flying Dog Gonzo or anything you can get your hands on from Jack's Abby.

If you've already had a lot of porters and happen to just really like World Brews, then my bad, your post just reminded me of when I started getting into the "darker" styles. I first had Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and I thought it was the only thing I was going to drink for the rest of my life. Little did I know, there was an entire world of porters and stouts waiting for me. Edmund Fitzgerald is still a beer I'll pick up occasionally because it's a very, very good porter, but I'm glad I decided to delve deeper into the porters/stouts because I've found some of my favorites that way.

I love talking beer just as much, if not more than the Bengals. I didn't expect many hardcore football fans to be much more than MillerCoors swilling knuckleheads LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 02:46 PM)djs7685 Wrote: 1. Where do you live?! Arrogant Bastard is $4 for a 22oz bomber at the grocery store down the road from my house. Stone is one of the "big" micro companies so I can't believe that much of a markup even if you're a good distance from the brewery, holy crap man that's brutal lol

2. I'm not a fan of World Brews and honestly haven't heard much good about them from any of my friends. I'm not sure if you happen to like their porter more than most people for whatever reason or if you just haven't had many different ones, but if it's the latter then I would have a ton of recommendations. So many readily available porters are quite a delight if you're into that style. Anything from Founders, Deschutes, Bells, or Great Lakes should be easy to find and delicious. If you're into the higher ABV baltic porters I'd try out Flying Dog Gonzo or anything you can get your hands on from Jack's Abby.

If you've already had a lot of porters and happen to just really like World Brews, then my bad, your post just reminded me of when I started getting into the "darker" styles. I first had Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald and I thought it was the only thing I was going to drink for the rest of my life. Little did I know, there was an entire world of porters and stouts waiting for me. Edmund Fitzgerald is still a beer I'll pick up occasionally because it's a very, very good porter, but I'm glad I decided to delve deeper into the porters/stouts because I've found some of my favorites that way.

I love talking beer just as much, if not more than the Bengals. I didn't expect many hardcore football fans to be much more than MillerCoors swilling knuckleheads LOL

Live about 40 minutes north of cincy.

Yeah im just getting into porters so im up for recommendations... Bells and Great lakes i like not sure if i have had their porter though.. Ill look for those next time

And I now realize if i want an Arrogant Bastard (its best not to go to the local bar) lol...

the bar had recently changed owners... I was paying maybe 6$ for an AB then the new owner started charging 10... I havent been back sense.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 09:48 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm also diabetic, though only just past the pre-diabetes stage. I have beer on occasion, like once a month and usually only one at a time. There are exceptions, like Oktoberfest. I'm German after all.  Smirk

This is me as well.....although I'm Irish.....lol. I have found that Yeungling Light Lager is very low in carbs, and not real bad on the palate......it has become my go to if I'm doing any kind of real drinking....which has to be saved for special occasions, about once a month.

I like:

Mt. Carmel Nut Brown Ale

Falls City Pale Ale

Murphy's Irish Stout

Newcastle Brown Ale

Hofbrau Dunkel

Spaten Optimator

....just to name a few.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 02:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Live about 40 minutes north of cincy.

Yeah im just getting into porters so im up for recommendations...  Bells and Great lakes i like not sure if i have had their porter though.. Ill look for those next time

And I now realize if i want an Arrogant Bastard (its best not to go to the local bar) lol...

the bar had recently changed owners...  I was paying maybe 6$ for an AB  then the new owner started charging 10...  I havent been back sense.

Yeah, going to the local bar for that type of stuff is probably a bad idea if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I'd try to find some local shops to go to and the cool thing about a lot of them is that you can get some perks if you become a regular.

The place ~10 minutes from my house hooks me up on prices because I'm there at least once a week. They also keep certain stuff in the back for a few days before putting it on the shelves to give the regulars time to get their hands on it. Now, they'll give it to anybody that specifically asks for it, they won't deny people of the beer, but most people that aren't regulars don't know to go up to the front of the store and ask for something that isn't out on the shelves or in the cooler. The only thing that sucks about this place is their selection isn't quite as good as the places that are about 30-40 minutes away from me. They're further away, slightly more expensive, but they're the only places I can find certain stuff and expect to see the more rare bottles that come through the area.

If I were you, I'd try to find a small shop that specializes in selling single bottles and hope you've got something decent close enough. The awesome part about that type of store is that the owner and employees usually know their stuff about beer. I've gotten a lot of my recommendations from my friends or people I know into craft online, but it's nice going to a store where the employees are actually helpful and not like Best Buy for example when the average guy there is a random asshole trying to sell you the most expensive TV without knowing jack about technology.

To start with, I'd try to find:

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
Founders Porter
Deschutes Black Butte
Bell's Porter

They all should be pretty easy to find at almost any shop that sells singles. They should all be reasonably priced around $2 per bottle as well. From there I'd try out Southern Tier 2X Stout, Rogue Chocolate Stout, and Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. They aren't the really high ABV imperials, but it would give you a nice intro to stouts and see which direction you'd want to go as far as how sweet, dry, or heavy you're wanting to go in the realm of the darker styles.

Beer is awesome.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 03:13 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Yeah, going to the local bar for that type of stuff is probably a bad idea if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I'd try to find some local shops to go to and the cool thing about a lot of them is that you can get some perks if you become a regular.

The place ~10 minutes from my house hooks me up on prices because I'm there at least once a week. They also keep certain stuff in the back for a few days before putting it on the shelves to give the regulars time to get their hands on it. Now, they'll give it to anybody that specifically asks for it, they won't deny people of the beer, but most people that aren't regulars don't know to go up to the front of the store and ask for something that isn't out on the shelves or in the cooler. The only thing that sucks about this place is their selection isn't quite as good as the places that are about 30-40 minutes away from me. They're further away, slightly more expensive, but they're the only places I can find certain stuff and expect to see the more rare bottles that come through the area.

If I were you, I'd try to find a small shop that specializes in selling single bottles and hope you've got something decent close enough. The awesome part about that type of store is that the owner and employees usually know their stuff about beer. I've gotten a lot of my recommendations from my friends or people I know into craft online, but it's nice going to a store where the employees are actually helpful and not like Best Buy for example when the average guy there is a random asshole trying to sell you the most expensive TV without knowing jack about technology.

To start with, I'd try to find:

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
Founders Porter
Deschutes Black Butte
Bell's Porter

They all should be pretty easy to find at almost any shop that sells singles. They should all be reasonably priced around $2 per bottle as well. From there I'd try out Southern Tier 2X Stout, Rogue Chocolate Stout, and Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. They aren't the really high ABV imperials, but it would give you a nice intro to stouts and see which direction you'd want to go as far as how sweet, dry, or heavy you're wanting to go in the realm of the darker styles.

Beer is awesome.
Rogue Chocolate Stout is killer....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I've never been a beer snob, but I was always fond of these:

Corona
Caguama
Jamaican Red Stripe
Michelob Light
Michelob Amber Bock
Coors Light
Sam Adams Winter Classics (I like a few of them)
Rolling Rock

I'm sure there's a lot more that I like that I just can't think of. Busch Light is good on a budget.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Strongbow hard cider
Reply/Quote
Yuengling is the basic, every day beer. I really like Yuengling's Black and Tan, especially with a meal,but not every establishment has it. Recently, I've been getting Guinness Blonde and could see that becoming a staple.

My wife signed me up for a monthly craft beer thing, and I really like the blondes and amber ales. Some IPAs are tolerable, I like the Uinta Trader Session IPA, but I don't have the taste for most of them. I really like the Summer Blonde by River Horse right now. I'm ok with a stout or porter, too. The craft beer thing is cool, but it's hit or miss sometimes, and when it's a miss, it ends up accumulating in my fridge.

I'm not a beer snob, but I got started on Coors Light, Rolling Rock, and Yuengling. I can count the times I've had natty light on one hand. I think Coors Light is gross now and Miller Lite tastes like peanuts. If I have to go with a light beer, it's usually Bud.
[Image: HZgos1.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 05:42 PM)oldschoolomen Wrote: Yuengling is the basic, every day beer. I really like Yuengling's Black and Tan, especially with a meal,but not every establishment has it. Recently, I've been getting Guinness Blonde and could see that becoming a staple.

My wife signed me up for a monthly craft beer thing, and I really like the blondes and amber ales. Some IPAs are tolerable, I like the Uinta Trader Session IPA, but I don't have the taste for most of them. I really like the Summer Blonde by River Horse right now. I'm ok with a stout or porter, too. The craft beer thing is cool, but it's hit or miss sometimes, and when it's a miss, it ends up accumulating in my fridge.

I'm not a beer snob, but I got started on Coors Light, Rolling Rock, and Yuengling. I can count the times I've had natty light on one hand. I think Coors Light is gross now and Miller Lite tastes like peanuts. If I have to go with a light beer, it's usually Bud.

No man you gotta go with the Natural ICE... 30 pack.... And then ill teach you a card game called the circle of death... (its even better with 2 packs of cards)

Ohhh Natty ICE.. how i dont miss you. Im starting to wonder whats everyone WORST Beer Ever they have ever tried not sure if we should do it here or Separate though
Reply/Quote
[Image: newcastle-gmo.jpg]

Don't like the hoppy IPAs.

Don't like the stouts or porters or anything too heavy.

But I do like more taste than just a lager.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 11:03 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Tried and true Busch Light!  That's all you'll find in my fridge.  But my going out beer is Bud Light.

My favorite dark beer has been Breckenridge Vanilla Porter.  But I've recently discovered this new beer from Left Hand brewing called Nitro.  It's a milk stout that's really smooth.  Good stuff for something different.

LH milk stout used to be my favorite beer. I still get it at the rare chance a bar has it on tap.

My go to now are beers from Traveler, (brewed here in Cincy, by Sam Adams) summer beer is called Curious and winter beer is called Jolly.
Reply/Quote
I don't drink like I used to so now I drink for quality and I am keeping it local. Rhinegeist - Hustle, Sabretooth, Pure Fury, Uncle, Franz, Dad....all great stuff.

Can't wait for fall so I can load up on Franz again, their Oktoberfest. One of my all-time favorite beers.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 06:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: newcastle-gmo.jpg]

Don't like the hoppy IPAs.

Don't like the stouts or porters or anything too heavy.

But I do like more taste than just a lager.

Have you tried Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale? If you like brown ales, it's a must try as it's one of the highest rated amongst the craft community. It's not exactly like Newcastle though.

If you want to try a brown ale similar to what you already enjoy, I'd give Abita Turbodog a shot.

I'm no expert on the style, but there are some tasty browns out there.
Reply/Quote