Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bell and Steelers Putting Contract Talks On Hold
The Steelers set an artificial deadline to get a contract done, but Le'Veon Bell just laughed at them and said "you're my bitches," and called their bluff because the entire organization has lost its sense of pride.

Bell is, once again, holding them by the balls:

Quote:Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell wasn’t interested in finalizing a long-term deal based on the team’s artificial deadline for doing so. So the team wisely has abandoned, at least for now, the concept of setting artificial deadlines.

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert, speaking to reporters at the league meetings in Florida, made it clear that the Steelers have tabled contract talks with Bell, for now.

“Once you make the tag, you move onto other business that’s more pertinent at this point,” Colbert said, via Steve Wyche of NFL Media. “Then we’ll address it at the appropriate time.”

The most appropriate time continues to be the deadline created by the Collective Bargaining Agreement: July 16. Anything before that isn’t a real deadline, and Bell’s past refusal to get a deal done suggests he’s not interested in doing a deal based on anything but a real deadline.

The Steelers previously wanted to get something done before the two-week tag window opened. When that didn’t happen, the Steelers eventually tagged Bell for a second straight year, putting a one-year, $14.56 million offer on the table. Unless and until Bell accepts it, the Steelers can rescind it.

Last year, Bell accepted the franchise tender as late as possible, showing up on Labor Day and collecting his full $12.1 million salary. But he did so without participating in the offseason program, training camp, or the preseason, to the obvious chagrin of the team.

I still wonder what this has to do for team morale and if they're ok with just being like "ok, we're here working our asses off, but Bell won't show up for 14 million dollars," especially when they know he'll likely be hurt as soon as he signs a long-term deal (if the Steelers ever fold and give him one).

Bell's a *****.
Reply/Quote
Think part of his contract states that Burfict has to be suspended when he is scheduled to play Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 04:44 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Think part of his contract states that Burfict has to be suspended when he is scheduled to play Bengals.
Think that wouldn't be necessary to put in his contract being Birthdefect is scared to death of JuJu and will make sure he is injured or suspended when the Steeler game comes around anyways.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 03:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The Steelers set an artificial deadline to get a contract done, but Le'Veon Bell just laughed at them and said "you're my bitches," and called their bluff because the entire organization has lost its sense of pride.

I still wonder what this has to do for team morale and if they're ok with just being like "ok, we're here working our asses off, but Bell won't show up for 14 million dollars," especially when they know he'll likely be hurt as soon as he signs a long-term deal (if the Steelers ever fold and give him one).

Bell's a *****.

This is exactly the same crap you parroted last year. How'd that work out for ya? Let's see....he had the most carries, by far, of any back in the entire league...no injuries. Morale was so bad, they went 13-3 and were a few seconds away from playing in the AFC championship game. The whole "he's afraid of Burfict" thing is so overplayed and laughable that Bell doesn't even bother with him. It took a pimply-faced rookie...the youngest kid in the NFL...to take care of Burfict.

The Steelers won't cave. They'll pay him under the tag, just like last year, run his wheels off into the ground, just like last year, he'll be top 3 in carries and yardage, just like last year, he'll help them go far into the playoffs, just like last year, have at least 200 yds and a 4.0 avg in 2 games against the Bengals, just like last year. 

The only thing that will be different this year is that after this season, the Steelers will hold the door open for him and let him walk to some other team stupid enough to pay him what he wants....and not a single Steeler fan will be upset. Most wanted him gone this year to free up more money for the defense. The only thing in question, and still remains to be seen, is whether they let the door hit him in the ass as he leaves. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 04:44 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Think part of his contract states that Burfict has to be suspended when he is scheduled to play Bengals.

Funny, that's what they're saying about Burfict. This time, he went the PED route to stay home. 

You have to give him credit though....he pioneered the concept of an NFL player being a work-from-home occupation. 
He watched more games last season from his livingroom than many Bengal fans.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 12:29 AM)Tama Wrote: This is exactly the same crap you parroted last year. How'd that work out for ya? Let's see....he had the most carries, by far, of any back in the entire league...no injuries. Morale was so bad, they went 13-3 and were a few seconds away from playing in the AFC championship game. The whole "he's afraid of Burfict" thing is so overplayed and laughable that Bell doesn't even bother with him. It took a pimply-faced rookie...the youngest kid in the NFL...to take care of Burfict.

The Steelers won't cave. They'll pay him under the tag, just like last year, run his wheels off into the ground, just like last year, he'll be top 3 in carries and yardage, just like last year, he'll help them go far into the playoffs, just like last year, have at least 200 yds and a 4.0 avg in 2 games against the Bengals, just like last year. 

The only thing that will be different this year is that after this season, the Steelers will hold the door open for him and let him walk to some other team stupid enough to pay him what he wants....and not a single Steeler fan will be upset. Most wanted him gone this year to free up more money for the defense. The only thing in question, and still remains to be seen, is whether they let the door hit him in the ass as he leaves. 

In the case of morale, I guess I keep mistaking the Steelers and their players for an organization of integrity and one that has any pride.

Silly me.

The Steelers let him go and they lose their best back and third-best receiver, and not to mention that even the threat of Bell opens up things for the rest of the offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 12:49 AM)Tama Wrote: Funny, that's what they're saying about Burfict. This time, he went the PED route to stay home. 

You have to give him credit though....he pioneered the concept of an NFL player being a work-from-home occupation. 
He watched more games last season from his livingroom than many Bengal fans.

He's just avoiding wear and tear on his body. 12 games a year instead of 16. 
Reply/Quote
I just don't understand Bell. A ton of money for a perennial winner.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 11:48 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I just don't understand Bell.  A ton of money for a perennial winner.

Ego and he knows that he's so injury-prone that he needs to get paid now.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 11:48 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I just don't understand Bell.  A ton of money for a perennial winner.

(03-26-2018, 11:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Ego and he knows that he's so injury-prone that he needs to get paid now.

Yes, this is an unprecedented situation that has never occurred with any other team than the Steelers Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 02:51 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Yes, this is an unprecedented situation that has never occurred with any other team than the Steelers Rolleyes

I'm not hanging anything on the Steelers.  It just seems ridiculous the money he's turning down and for a winner.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 02:51 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Yes, this is an unprecedented situation that has never occurred with any other team than the Steelers Rolleyes

It is unprecedented to turn down an average of 4 million more per year than the nearest average per year at your position, especially when he's playing for a team that's always in contention.

If he turned down that deal to play with the Browns, you MIGHT be able to justify it, especially with his injury history.
Reply/Quote

Maybe he thinks the Steelers' future is anything but bright. [shrugs]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

And I think Dre Kirkpatrick had added to his contract that he needs to be inactive when the Steelers play the Bengals

[Image: 0nhVlWZ.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2018, 03:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The Steelers set an artificial deadline to get a contract done, but Le'Veon Bell just laughed at them and said "you're my bitches," and called their bluff because the entire organization has lost its sense of pride.

Bell's a *****.

They did the same thing last year at this time. It's standard operating procedure and only common sense. But following the Bengals you wouldn't know about common sense when it comes to personnel decisions. 

Personally, I'll be pissed off if this assbag is on their opening day roster.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 04:42 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: They did the same thing last year at this time. It's standard operating procedure and only common sense. But following the Bengals you wouldn't know about common sense when it comes to personnel decisions. 

Personally, I'll be pissed off if this assbag is on their opening day roster.  

But slightly relieved.  

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 12:29 AM)Tama Wrote: This is exactly the same crap you parroted last year. How'd that work out for ya? Let's see....he had the most carries, by far, of any back in the entire league...no injuries. Morale was so bad, they went 13-3 and were a few seconds away from playing in the AFC championship game. The whole "he's afraid of Burfict" thing is so overplayed and laughable that Bell doesn't even bother with him. It took a pimply-faced rookie...the youngest kid in the NFL...to take care of Burfict.

First you said:
."he had the most carries, by far, of any back in the entire league...no injuries. Morale was so bad, they went 13-3 and were a few seconds away from playing in the AFC championship game". So it appeared you loved him.

"Then you said in same post: The Steelers won't cave. They'll pay him under the tag, just like last year, run his wheels off into the ground, just like last year, he'll be top 3 in carries and yardage, just like last year, he'll help them go far into the playoffs, just like last year, have at least 200 yds and a 4.0 avg in 2 games against the Bengals, just like last year."
Gave him more love.

Then you said:  Steelers will hold the door open for him and let him walk to some other team stupid enough to pay him what he wants....and not a single Steeler fan will be upset. Most wanted him gone this year to free up more money for the defense.

So for clarity, you speak on behalf of all Steelers's fan when you say 100% will not be upset to lose a guy you say will have at least 200 yards and 4.0 average in 2 games against the Bengals and he'll be top 3 in carries and yardage, just like last year, he'll help them go far into the playoffs, just like last year.

I can't speak for Bengals fans, but I say you are full of crap and don't want to lose any player who helped a deep playoff run for your team (your prediction, not mine).  Smirk
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 04:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: But slightly relieved.  

Not at all. I think they'll be okay without him. Obviously not as good, but still a damn good offense. He was offered a very generous deal last year (50% more money than the next highest paid RB) and turned it down. F-that. Negligently overpaying for a guy who's a shittalking, injury prone, one hit from a joint away from suspension, self centered, egotistical asshole, when you have glaring needs on defense (Shazier is DONE) is financial suicide. 

He's a great athlete and really fun to watch, but to pay him what he thinks he's worth is asinine. I say let him walk. Guaranteed whatever team will pay him what he wants wont have a HOF QB, a studly O line, and a top 3 WR to help him. He'll be the biggest focus on the offense he goes to and his numbers will plummet. He won't be able to dance around waiting for hole to open because a lesser O line WONT open a hole. His numbers will fall dramatically. He helps the Steelers offense for sure, but don't think that their offense doesn't benefit him almost as much. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 05:03 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Not at all. I think they'll be okay without him. Obviously not as good, but still a damn good offense. He was offered a very generous deal last year (50% more money than the next highest paid RB) and turned it down. F-that. Negligently overpaying for a guy who's a shittalking, injury prone, one hit from a joint away from suspension, self centered, egotistical asshole, when you have glaring needs on defense (Shazier is DONE) is financial suicide. 

He's a great athlete and really fun to watch, but to pay him what he thinks he's worth is asinine. I say let him walk. Guaranteed whatever team will pay him what he wants wont have a HOF QB, a studly O line, and a top 3 WR to help him. He'll be the biggest focus on the offense he goes to and his numbers will plummet. He won't be able to dance around waiting for hole to open because a lesser O line WONT open a hole. His numbers will fall dramatically. He helps the Steelers offense for sure, but don't think that their offense doesn't benefit him almost as much. 

That's logical reasoning, and I pretty much agree, but still hard to watch talent leave.  And it's not just opening a hole, most places, you hesitate and someone will be right next to you in a hurry.

Reply/Quote
Well then, it’s a good thing he’s so.............................patient.
Reply/Quote