Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Baby's "Three things to watch for the Bengals this offseason"
Ben Baby's analysis regarding:

Burrow's contract
Salary cap decisions
Refreshing the roster

https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/34303/joe-burrows-extension-and-more-three-things-to-watch-for-this-bengals-offseason

Some excerpts:

“This team will never be the same again,” Reader said in the minutes after the 23-20 loss.

The 2022 version of the Bengals was one of the best in team history. It won 10 straight games, a franchise record, and matched the most victories by a Cincinnati squad in a single season (12). Throughout the year, the team’s bond and chemistry have been noted as one of the reasons for its success single season (12).

Once Cincinnati figures out how much to pay Burrow and, more importantly, how to structure that deal, the Bengals will get a better glimpse at what will be available for linebacker Logan Wilson and wide receiver Tee Higgins.

Cincinnati has pushed back at the concept of a championship window built around an elite quarterback on a rookie contract, which is a massive discount to a franchise. But the reality is that the financial flexibility the Bengals have enjoyed will disappear once Burrow’s new contract starts to take a significant chunk of the salary cap.

“We’ll see what they want to do with me, but I know I’m still entitled for a year,” Boyd said after the loss to Kansas City. “I’m not counting my chances of not being here out. You never know.”

Cincinnati’s draft strategy in 2022 was clear. With the selections of safety Dax Hill, cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt and defensive tackle Zach Carter in the first three rounds, respectively, the Bengals were slotting in younger, cheaper players to potentially become starters in future years.

ESPN’s latest mock draft has the Bengals trending toward the same approach in 2023. ESPN NFL draft analyst Matt Miller has Cincinnati selecting Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer with the 28th overall pick.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 01:29 PM)Nepa Wrote: Ben Baby's analysis regarding:

Burrow's contract
Salary cap decisions
Refreshing the roster

https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/34303/joe-burrows-extension-and-more-three-things-to-watch-for-this-bengals-offseason

Some excerpts:

“This team will never be the same again,” Reader said in the minutes after the 23-20 loss.

The 2022 version of the Bengals was one of the best in team history. It won 10 straight games, a franchise record, and matched the most victories by a Cincinnati squad in a single season (12). Throughout the year, the team’s bond and chemistry have been noted as one of the reasons for its success single season (12).

Once Cincinnati figures out how much to pay Burrow and, more importantly, how to structure that deal, the Bengals will get a better glimpse at what will be available for linebacker Logan Wilson and wide receiver Tee Higgins.

Cincinnati has pushed back at the concept of a championship window built around an elite quarterback on a rookie contract, which is a massive discount to a franchise. But the reality is that the financial flexibility the Bengals have enjoyed will disappear once Burrow’s new contract starts to take a significant chunk of the salary cap.

“We’ll see what they want to do with me, but I know I’m still entitled for a year,” Boyd said after the loss to Kansas City. “I’m not counting my chances of not being here out. You never know.”

Cincinnati’s draft strategy in 2022 was clear. With the selections of safety Dax Hill, cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt and defensive tackle Zach Carter in the first three rounds, respectively, the Bengals were slotting in younger, cheaper players to potentially become starters in future years.

ESPN’s latest mock draft has the Bengals trending toward the same approach in 2023. ESPN NFL draft analyst Matt Miller has Cincinnati selecting Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer with the 28th overall pick.

I can rock with TE at number 28. Helps with protection too if you get the right guy
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 01:33 PM)Housh Wrote: I can rock with TE at number 28. Helps with protection too if you get the right guy

RT would be better with the TE class we have this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 02:18 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: RT would be better with the TE class we have this year.

I agree.  With the depth in this year's TE class, I would suspect that will affect the free agent TE market some.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The retooling or refreshing of the roster is an important point. Burrow and Chase getting paid places more emphasis on free agent and draft decisions as needing to workout since dollars become more tight for roster retooling. I trust Duke and Zac and hope the roster retooling proves successful.

I suppose I contextualize it this way: we didn't win it all with guys like Mixon and Bates - two players that exemplify a roster retooling need since they might not remain with the team related to financial considerations - so roster retooling can actually have a positive outcome.

Maybe Duke, the front office staff, and Zac/coaches can retool the roster just enough to get over the hump and win the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 02:18 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: RT would be better with the TE class we have this year.

(02-10-2023, 02:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree.  With the depth in this year's TE class, I would suspect that will affect the free agent TE market some.

Last time a position's draft class depth started getting hyped up and everyone started talking about passing up a huge need on here because we could get a starter in the 2nd or 3rd round, we traded down and took Jackson Carman in the 2nd round.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 02:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Last time a position's draft class depth started getting hyped up and everyone started talking about passing up a huge need on here because we could get a starter in the 2nd or 3rd round, we traded down and took Jackson Carman in the 2nd round.

And that class still proved to be pretty deep.

In the first 3 rounds, 23 OL prospects were drafted. You still had All-Pro Trey Smith not included on that list as a 6th rounder. That depth did prove itself. They were just singularly focused on Carman after they got Chase.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 02:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Last time a position's draft class depth started getting hyped up and everyone started talking about passing up a huge need on here because we could get a starter in the 2nd or 3rd round, we traded down and took Jackson Carman in the 2nd round.

What you say is definitely true, however this situation and the position that we're talking about is completely different.  The Bengals need and use Tackles on every offensive snap, whereas for the bulk of snaps the TE position is either a blocker or a decoy on the vast majority of passing snaps.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 04:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What you say is definitely true, however this situation and the position that we're talking about is completely different.  The Bengals need and use Tackles on every offensive snap, whereas for the bulk of snaps the TE position is either a blocker or a decoy on the vast majority of passing snaps.

For sure ThumbsUp

IMHO, you have to look at what's our #1 concern? A: Joe Burrow  He's how we're going to win games!! What's more important than that ? We have to shore up the Oline, period.
Reply/Quote
You never hear me suggest giving up draft capital but two first round picks and a 17m per year average contract for Tristan Wirfs sounds good right now.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We’ve never IMO Drafted a good NFL TE. We’ve gotten some serviceable guys, Gresham and CJ. but I’d hate to waste a pick on a TE in the 1st. Very few times have stellar guys, and I just think the chance of using a 1st rd on one of wasteful
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 05:35 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: We’ve never IMO Drafted a good NFL TE.  We’ve gotten some serviceable guys, Gresham and CJ. but I’d hate to waste a pick on a TE in the 1st. Very few times have stellar guys, and I just think the chance of using a 1st rd on one of wasteful

eifert was all-pro caliber when healthy. And Gresham was better than Cj. Dont put CJ in the Gresham category
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 04:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What you say is definitely true, however this situation and the position that we're talking about is completely different.  The Bengals need and use Tackles on every offensive snap, whereas for the bulk of snaps the TE position is either a blocker or a decoy on the vast majority of passing snaps.

Never heard of a player being able to positively in every aspect of your offense spun as a negative thing before. 

There's nothing bad about a guy who can block like a small OL in both the run and pass game, while catching passes like a #2-3 WR, and can be a huge threat in the redzone... and he can do that pass blocking and catching all on the same play. All while being just a massive mismatch problem for defenses. 

If you can add a George Kittle type TE, do it. He will help your offense in every facet imaginable.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 10:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Never heard of a player being able to positively in every aspect of your offense spun as a negative thing before. 

There's nothing bad about a guy who can block like a small OL in both the run and pass game, while catching passes like a #2-3 WR, and can be a huge threat in the redzone... and he can do that pass blocking and catching all on the same play. All while being just a massive mismatch problem for defenses. 

If you can add a George Kittle type TE, do it. He will help your offense in every facet imaginable.

hold on, let me just add the best tight end in the NFC to the bengals
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 04:37 PM)Synric Wrote: You never hear me suggest giving up draft capital but two first round picks and a 17m per year average contract for Tristan Wirfs sounds good right now.

Two 1sts for only 2 years though, if we could have a longterm deal in place Id be all for that.

Reply/Quote

Yep. You can't keep adding "weapons" if you don't have time to throw to those weapons. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 05:35 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: We’ve never IMO Drafted a good NFL TE. We’ve gotten some serviceable guys, Gresham and CJ. but I’d hate to waste a pick on a TE in the 1st. Very few times have stellar guys, and I just think the chance of using a 1st rd on one of wasteful

So just f*** pro bowler Tyler Eifert then huh?

Gresham was a bum too?

Kroft is still on rosters

CJ was great for us

Chase Coffman wasn’t that good but he didn’t suck ass

Orson Charles was a bust

Jury still out on Drew Sample

Maybe you can say we’ve never drafted a bonafide superstar but we’ve drafted good TEs. Also factor in Eifert and Sample were the only TEs we took high so honestly i count that as 1 for 2 for drafting good TEs when we’ve done it high. That has to mean something
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 10:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. You can't keep adding "weapons" if you don't have time to throw to those weapons. 

Unless it’s a game changer generational guy like Chase

And i can guaruntee one of those won’t be around at 28
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 10:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. You can't keep adding "weapons" if you don't have time to throw to those weapons. 

OL is a priority, TE is a luxury.

As far as the discussion above, the Bengals have drafted a couple of really good TEs
1982 3rd round pick #82 TE out of Tulane . . . Rodney Holman
Never a major threat but always dangerous with great hands. Tough and a great blocker that was viewed as the #6 o-lineman by the o-line group.

Boomer quarterbacked three winning seasons as Bengals starter, 1986, 1988 and 1990. In those three seasons, they were either #1, #2 or #3 in the NFL in team rushing and #82 was a very large part of that. Lapham and Munoz praise his blocking any chance they get. Three time Pro Bowler.

1979 2nd round pick #30 TE out of Northeastern . . . Dan Ross
Hit the ground running and just got better with each of his first four seasons before hitting a wall.

41 receptions as a rookie
71 Super Bowl season
47 in 9 games(strike year)
0 as a Bengal . . . played in USFL - New Orleans Breakers . . . Rodney Holman takes over as starting TE
16 in 5 starts in return to Bengals
6 in last bit before being waived 5 games into the season
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Man Gresham gets disrespected too much around here. Everyone here likes Hurst it seems but even accounting for his missed games, Gresham averaged better from 2010-2014. He averaged 55 rec, 540 yards, 5 tds that 5 year stretch.
Reply/Quote