Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bench AJ start Ross
(10-04-2020, 08:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For the record I was one of the ones against tagging AJ from the beginning.

I’ll admit I was for it. I never imagined the drop off would be this bad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
First game without Ross, we tied. Second game without Ross, we won. Nah, man.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 08:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In the dreaded mock that year I took Julio over Aj....just saying.

Julios better..
Reply/Quote
I was in favor of trading AJ. But I still think he is serviceable, just not in the same facility.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 08:54 PM)Destro Wrote: First game without Ross, we tied. Second game without Ross, we won. Nah, man.

Forget the Ross teasing, I don't want Ross back either ! Trade him, release him. The point is I'm pretty sure AJ is done. Give his snaps to the others.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 08:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ll admit I was for it. I never imagined the drop off would be this bad.

You can tell he hasn't just "lost a step". It's a step and 1/2 or two. 
Reply/Quote
Ross doesn't scare a defense. One guy can cover him and odds are he'll drop the damn ball anyways.

A.J. is still a name that the defensive side is watching out for as you saw today, he had two guys on him every time.

So, A.J. being out there allows for more freedom for the other receivers. The other thing that would be interesting to see is when the defense starts to roll coverage away from A.J. if we will see a spike in his numbers.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 08:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In the dreaded mock that year I took Julio over Aj....just saying.

Hell, in the board mock this year I got blasted for trading AJ for a 3rd rounder.  
Reply/Quote
Ah...reaching ten years into the past for a pat on the back.  Someone needs a hug.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 07:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why the hell wasn't that determined before tagging him? Were they not able to at least work him out and see him run?

Great question. Other teams seem to know when to cut bait.

(10-04-2020, 07:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: He would have had to agree to do it, which he wasn't going to.  Not to mention the fan base would have pitched a fit if they let him walk and they probably didn't want that kind of negativity with Burrow coming in.  Hell, most of the fan base and wanted him signed to a multi-year deal after last year.

Did we really not see him before tagging him? I honestly don't know...but it seems dumb to blindly throw such a hefty tag on a guy coming off multiple injuries without seeing him first. Making moves "for the fans" is dumb too.

No excusing it, IMO.

(10-04-2020, 08:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ll admit I was for it. I never imagined the drop off would be this bad.

I was against it, but I thought the drop off would be a bit more gradual. Like Chad in 2010.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 06:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Did I really just say that ?

Seriously as bad as I hate it, I think AJ is done. Yes I know he had a DPI or two on his plays today but it's not just those plays. He's lost a step and a half and just can't get back in the saddle.

I know you are kidding, Ross just has bad hands as sad as I am to say it. I say let Higgins be the #1 on the outside, keep Boyd in
the Slot and use Tate and Thomas more cause yeah. Definitely looks like AJ has lost more than a step, he might be done as you 
say being that he is 32 and been injured for a couple years evidently didn't help to keep him fresh.

Hope we are wrong and AJ is just rusty, but was hoping to see him knock that rust off last game and he clearly didn't.

The thing is as bad as Ross's hands have been AJ's haven't been much better this year.

Use Sample more is my vote as well. Really liking this guy this year, think he might of been a good pick in the 2nd now.
Reply/Quote
You know, when you start a thread and title it "Bench AJ Start Ross" that thread is out there with your name on if for the rest of the life of the internet. Not sure you knew that..... LMAO
AJ does not look like the old AJ, who Dalton was forcing almost every ball to, but he is still drawing double coverage, and as pointed out earlier, is just getting mugged by DB's without any laundry hitting the deck. He's going to get it back, just give him some time. I expect to see more of him against Baltimore this week.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 06:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Did I really just say that ?

Seriously as bad as I hate it, I think AJ is done. Yes I know he had a DPI or two on his plays today but it's not just those plays. He's lost a step and a half and just can't get back in the saddle.

Ross should be starting over Erickson at the very least.  He is still a weapon and next get stats showed he hit over 21 MPH on his routes.  He could be the big play we have been missing.  You can't sit the guy the entire season because he wasn't looking on the crossing route.  

He has had about 3 targets and has about the same production as Green with something like 25 targets.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 06:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Nah, offense has looked far better without Ross regardless. If anything, give Mike Thomas more snaps.

I agree that Thomas should get more snaps, but Ross should be on the field over Erickson, Green could play slot duties in rotation instead of Erickson.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 06:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

I just don't think AJ is ever gonna get back to even being half of what he was.

The route on that third down play where Burrow supposedly overthrew him....he was running that route at 15 MPH.  That's pathetic.  

If we see it, so will other coaches.  Let's hope ours not only see it, but they do something about it.  
Reply/Quote
Im going to point out 2 plays that tells me AJ.still has something left to offer. Remember the opening game when JB just missed AJ
On the overthrow in.the end zone.Green lets not forget
Did get behind the DB on that play.
Then vs the Browns he did almost come up.with.that 35 yd
Sideline catch on that opening throw.
What I.have noticed Green not as explosive getting in and out
of his cuts.
I.think.ZT is going to have to start using AJ on more
Comeback routes and more post routes on playaction.
Id like to see a chart of what routes he has run this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 06:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: 1 reception for 3 yards isn't better than most. 

No one on here will admit that Ross would have more production if he had those same targets.  He at LEAST generates separation that others don't and can take the top off defenses.  
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2020, 09:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Ross doesn't scare a defense. One guy can cover him and odds are he'll drop the damn ball anyways.

A.J. is still a name that the defensive side is watching out for as you saw today, he had two guys on him every time.

So, A.J. being out there allows for more freedom for the other receivers. The other thing that would be interesting to see is when the defense starts to roll coverage away from A.J. if we will see a spike in his numbers.

This is vastly inaccurate.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 09:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree that Thomas should get more snaps, but Ross should be on the field over Erickson, Green could play slot duties in rotation instead of Erickson.  

If anybody watched Odell Beckhams 67 yd TD vs the Cowboys
ZT can run.the same play to Ross and get good results.
Erickson IMO.just doesnt have enough top end speed to get you more than 8 9 yds on the end. Around.
Erickson lacks the ability to make tacklers miss in space.
He has no 2nd gear.to.do damage.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 09:13 AM)impactplaya Wrote: If anybody watched Odell Beckhams 67 yd TD vs the Cowboys
ZT can run.the same play to Ross and get good results.
Erickson IMO.just doesnt have enough top end speed to get you more than 8 9 yds on the end. Around.
Erickson lacks the ability to make tacklers miss in space.
He has no 2nd gear.to.do damage.

Yep.  So much of it is how you use players.  Mixon FINALLY targeted in the passing game.  Big result.  You wouldn't make Boyd an outside receiver when his strength is the slot.  Ross should be used on those jet sweeps (or even fake sweeps, a la KC Chiefs) and some plays designed to get him in space.  They have no vertical threat right now.  
Reply/Quote