Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 7th in new power rankings
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000531124/article/nfl-power-rankings-packers-nab-top-spot-chiefs-enter-top-five?campaign=fb-nf-sf13075716-sf13075716

Rank 7 - Up 4 spots from last time

"Little to not like about the Bengals' blowout win in Oakland. The offense averaged 6.1 yards per play while the defense held the Raiders to a mere 4.0 yards per play. That's a sizeable differential when averaged over 126 plays in an NFL game. That said, no one gets excited over Cincinnati winning in the regular season anymore, and that's just the way it is. Not unless Andy Dalton plays lights out. "
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 10:41 AM)djs7685 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000531124/article/nfl-power-rankings-packers-nab-top-spot-chiefs-enter-top-five?campaign=fb-nf-sf13075716-sf13075716

"Little to not like about the Bengals' blowout win in Oakland. The offense averaged 6.1 yards per play while the defense held the Raiders to a mere 4.0 yards per play. That's a sizeable differential when averaged over 126 plays in an NFL game. That said, no one gets excited over Cincinnati winning in the regular season anymore, and that's just the way it is. Not unless Andy Dalton plays lights out. "

Is that no one gets excited because we are now expected to win more often than not?

What a great change
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 10:44 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Is that no one gets excited because we are now expected to win more often than not?

What a great change

I think it's a backhanded compliment in a way.

People are always saying that we're just expected to win in the regular season now and it's not a big deal, but the way they point it out it's almost as if they're still taking a little shot at our postseason mishaps.

That's completely warranted though IMO, until we win a playoff game we're going to be rightfully hearing about it. The only thing I disagree with is whenever the media blasts us for something in the regular season and uses our past playoff performances to do so, as if they have any sort of correlation to one another.
Reply/Quote
Until the team has success in the post season, this is how it will be.  Hopefully this is the year that changes.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 11:10 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Until the team has success in the post season, this is how it will be.  Hopefully this is the year that changes.

It will as long as Hill (main guy), Green, Dalton, and Eifert stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
They don't get excited about Cincy winning in the regular season but still slob over Peyton's knob when he does.

**** you NFL.com.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 10:41 AM)djs7685 Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000531124/article/nfl-power-rankings-packers-nab-top-spot-chiefs-enter-top-five?campaign=fb-nf-sf13075716-sf13075716

Honestly surprised they have us that high this early, I kind of like being the underdog and looked down upon.

This weeks game should be a good one against the Chargers!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:00 PM)corpjet Wrote: Honestly surprised they have us that high this early, I kind of like being the underdog and looked down upon.

This weeks game should be a good one against the Chargers!

I believe they had us at #3 early last year. We looked strong despite losing Eifert and MLJ, but then we all know how that ended.

Beating the Chargers will be a good sign that this team is for real and not just capable of beating up basement dwellers like the Raiders. Hopefully we can put the boots to them but I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet. Rivers is a really good QB and we haven't seen this defense play against a team with a capable QB yet. Being @ PBS makes me feel more confident though, the Bengals have been excellent at home as of late.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 10:53 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I think it's a backhanded compliment in a way.

People are always saying that we're just expected to win in the regular season now and it's not a big deal, but the way they point it out it's almost as if they're still taking a little shot at our postseason mishaps.

That's completely warranted though IMO, until we win a playoff game we're going to be rightfully hearing about it. The only thing I disagree with is whenever the media blasts us for something in the regular season and uses our past playoff performances to do so, as if they have any sort of correlation to one another.

Totally agree with this .
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 11:54 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: They don't get excited about Cincy winning in the regular season but still slob over Peyton's knob when he does.

**** you NFL.com.

He is, or is very close to, the greatest QB of all time.  He is less than two years removed from setting an NFL record with 55 passing touchdowns.  He'll finish his career with the most passing yards and TD's in the history of the game.

You're talking about a guy who hasn't been on a team that has won less than 10 games since 2001.  Here are his win totals since then: 10, 12, 12, 14, 12, 13, 12, 14, 10, 13, 13, 12. That is an amazing run.

And if you're bringing up Peyton Manning with us because of playoff failures, well I think that's incredibly stupid. How do you compare a team, or player, who hasn't had any success in the playoffs, with someone with a Superbowl ring, who has been to SIX AFC Championship games.  While one team is 0-4 (.000) in the playoffs, the other player is 11-13 (.458).

Griping that Peyton Manning gets love, despite his playoff performances and we don't, doesn't even make any sense.  The comparison is stupid.  Not only are the results entirely different, Manning has accomplished a lot that can't not be "slobbered over."

How do you expect the media and NFL fans not slobber over games like 462 yards and 7 TD's?  How can they not slobber over 131 Touchdowns in three years?  The guy has averaged 44 Touchdowns a season past the age of 35.

Try to sound more butthurt about coverage for perhaps the greatest of all time why don't you?  Are you ever not angry?
Reply/Quote
I keep expecting the idea of Power Rankings to die. It seems like they became a thing right around the turn of the century and now everyone does them. Obviously, they're meaningless. Both in week 1 and in week 16. Yet they serve is as such a big talking point.

I get wanting to discuss whether this team is better than that team. I get trying to come up with lists of contenders and pretenders. I get all that. I don't get trying to figure out if the Giants should be 22 or 23. How do you determine who is more worthy of 27?

All that said, they are out of their damn mind with the Bills that high. Their QB is Tyrod Talyor for Christ sake. It's one freaking game that they won by 13. Wtf?
Reply/Quote
Funny thing is, I don't think the media is slobbering all over Peyton right now anyways. He is in the "oh he is washed up" stage of the season.

By week 4 he will look like a stud

by week 9 they wonder why we ever doubted him

By week 13 they will say his arm is "too old" and "doesn't have the strength anymore.".

In the playoffs he will lose a close one and it will be because "He has always been a choker", and "Maybe he is too old and has a noodle arm.".

The Manning story is pretty consistent as of late.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:32 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I keep expecting the idea of Power Rankings to die.  It seems like they became a thing right around the turn of the century and now everyone does them.  Obviously, they're meaningless.  Both in week 1 and in week 16.  Yet they serve is as such a big talking point.

I get wanting to discuss whether this team is better than that team.  I get trying to come up with lists of contenders and pretenders.  I get all that.  I don't get trying to figure out if the Giants should be 22 or 23.  How do you determine who is more worthy of 27?

All that said, they are out of their damn mind with the Bills that high.  Their QB is Tyrod Talyor for Christ sake.  It's one freaking game that they won by 13.  Wtf?

Yeah it's nothing more than a talking point, for me at least.

As far as the Bills go, they just destroyed a team that was already penciled in to the Super Bowl this year by 90% of the football world.

The final score was sort of like Cincinnati/Oakland, not quite indicative of how one sided it truly was. They beat the Colts, and they beat them badly.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:37 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Yeah it's nothing more than a talking point, for me at least.

As far as the Bills go, they just destroyed a team that was already penciled in to the Super Bowl this year by 90% of the football world.

The final score was sort of like Cincinnati/Oakland, not quite indicative of how one sided it truly was. They beat the Colts, and they beat them badly.

The Colts are pretty overrated. Andrew Luck has been masking a lot of issues that they have.

Gore didn't look like the stud RB they thought they got in FA.

TY Hilton got hurt too which doesn't help.

They will bounce back, but they have been overrated for quite some time..... we didn't help the perception by getting whooped by them in regular season and then losing again in postseason.
Reply/Quote
PFT has the Bengals ranked 10th:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/15/pfts-week-two-power-rankings/

I agree, it's pretty meaningless to rank football teams, especially after week 1. But, it is nice to have something to talk about, whether its agreeing or disagreeing on where your fav team ranks compared to others.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The Colts are pretty overrated. Andrew Luck has been masking a lot of issues that they have.

Gore didn't look like the stud RB they thought they got in FA.

TY Hilton got hurt too which doesn't help.

They will bounce back, but they have been overrated for quite some time..... we didn't help the perception by getting whooped by them in regular season and then losing again in postseason.

They signed A Lot of probowlers... Just 4 years after their probowl
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 10:53 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I think it's a backhanded compliment in a way.

It may be backhanded, but the new national perception is that this team is a consistent playoff team and that the only thing that will get anyone in the media excited is a playoff win.

It wasn't that long ago that the expectation was that Cincy was an easy win and a consistent threat for the #1 overall pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:57 PM)jgott32 Wrote: PFT has the Bengals ranked 10th:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/15/pfts-week-two-power-rankings/

I agree, it's pretty meaningless to rank football teams, especially after week 1. But, it is nice to have something to talk about, whether its agreeing or disagreeing on where your fav team ranks compared to others.

I have the Steelers higher and the Ravens lower.

I feel they started with teams like the Ravens high and keep them there to save face. The Suggs loss will start their nose dive to the mid teens by week 8.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
As long as it's not number 1. Seems like that is the moment everything falls apart for us. A couple years ago it was SI.com, last year it happened again when we were ranked 1st. I still like power rankings tho. As lame as they are.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:25 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He is, or is very close to, the greatest QB of all time.  He is less than two years removed from setting an NFL record with 55 passing touchdowns.  He'll finish his career with the most passing yards and TD's in the history of the game.

You're talking about a guy who hasn't been on a team that has won less than 10 games since 2001.  Here are his win totals since then: 10, 12, 12, 14, 12, 13, 12, 14, 10, 13, 13, 12. That is an amazing run.

And if you're bringing up Peyton Manning with us because of playoff failures, well I think that's incredibly stupid. How do you compare a team, or player, who hasn't had any success in the playoffs, with someone with a Superbowl ring, who has been to SIX AFC Championship games.  While one team is 0-4 (.000) in the playoffs, the other player is 11-13 (.458).

Griping that Peyton Manning gets love, despite his playoff performances and we don't, doesn't even make any sense.  The comparison is stupid.  Not only are the results entirely different, Manning has accomplished a lot that can't not be "slobbered over."

How do you expect the media and NFL fans not slobber over games like 462 yards and 7 TD's?  How can they not slobber over 131 Touchdowns in three years?  The guy has averaged 44 Touchdowns a season past the age of 35.

Try to sound more butthurt about coverage for perhaps the greatest of all time why don't you?  Are you ever not angry?

If it's expected that the Bengals win in the regular season, than it's expected that whatever team that Peyton Manning is on wins in the regular season, too.

Only one of those subjects ever gets positive reviews from NFL.com. It's hypocrisy at it's finest.

But I forgot that NFL was slandering the Bengals in a round about way so you probably got a half a chubby reading it, so it's no surprise that you come out of the gate defending them.

As an answer to your last little quip; I'm actually a very pleasant person. I make people smile and feel better about themselves and have a very healthy sense of humor.

I wonder if any of that could be said about you?
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote