Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Are Worst Defense In NFL
The TV announcers say it. The Stats show it. The Bengals are the worst defense in the NFL.

After this game some will complain about Andy Dalton, but I tell you the best quarterbacks ever could not have won today. The Saints never had to punt and never came close to punting. The Bengals defense never made a defensive stop the entire game. So as the Saints scored every time they had the ball, the Bengals offense that started well had no chance thanks to our lousy defense.

I often try to see upsides and I get called a homer. There are no upsides. The defense is too bad to win and that is with or without Burfict. Since year after year Burfict sits out more games than he plays in, this year is no exception. The linebackers are awful with or without Burfict and the defensive backs are probably worse. Today it looked like Brees and Saints ran and threw the ball right to Bengals # 36 Williams on purpose because he never comes close to making a good play. Williams on the field is the same as only having 10 men on defense.

The Fans are upset with Austin and now in later part of season, I agree. Marvin Lewis is suppose to be the great defensive guru. I now see that our best years under Marvin were due to having Vikings head coach Zimmer and Redskins head coach Gruden.

So many, many, many more changes needed in off season. It does look like time for Marvin Lewis to go. Austin needs a quick exit and the fans are right on that. Bengals need a whole new defense. Burfict will just miss most games from here on out, so dump him also. They are all to slow and no talent. None of them can tackle. There is a Vince Lombardi clip where he complains about " grab, grab, grab ". The Bengals are worse because they don't even grab, in fact they seem afraid of getting hit.

Bengals last year had the worst O Line in NFL. This year the worst defense in NFL. So Bengals are unable to block and tackle and that greatly lowers any play-off hopes. I don't know where the Bengals go from here, but right now they are pretty bad. There were many of us who wanted Zimmer kept on as the Head Coach, and the Fans are looking right on that one. Marvin Lewis who is suppose to be the great defensive master has the worst defense in the NFL, the players they draft or add are way to slow. Marvin Lewis now has to go, and any changes the new Head Coach makes brought in for 2019.

I repeat, I am the team homer from old Bengals.com and this site. So if I am saying this, it is like President Johnson losing Walter Cronkite, because I have always supported Bengals when others didn't. This team is just too bad to be good. You win with Blocking and Tackling and Bengals have been weak in both areas. If you put Big Ben, Rivers, Brady, Brees or any QB on this team they couldn't win either. Not without Block and Tackle.

There is no quick fix band aid for this team, it has too many weaknesses.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, be prepared to be told you're a horrible fan who should go root for another team, that Dalton is the reason the defense is this bad, and that your post isn't going to fix the team so keep your opinions to yourself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:11 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, be prepared to be told you're a horrible fan who should go root for another team, that Dalton is the reason the defense is this bad, and that your post isn't going to fix the team so keep your opinions to yourself.
Well they can say that, but I've supported Bengals when most of them haven't.  I never gave up on Bengals at 3-5 in 2012.   In fact I never gave up on Bengals at 1-6 in 1970.   The 2018 defense is what it is.  It really is this bad.  They might beat the Raiders. They might win one against the Browns.  Let's say for The Fans the Bengals win the rest of their home games. Browns, Broncos, Raiders. They might go 8-8. Other than that, this defense is in big trouble because they really are this bad.

I'm starting to think #36 Williams is the worst defensive back I've ever seen. The rookie Bates shows promise, but Williams is just an effort in futility and has no business in the NFL. Play after play, he is the guy getting beat and wiffing on every tackle. So our linebackers can't pass cover, our defensive backs are weak. Good teams can just run the ball on us. Giving up more yards than any other defense was a surprise to me, but I can see it now.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
On pace for worst in NFL HISTORY. Still No changes........
Reply/Quote
But we have a "defensive guru" for a head coach...
Reply/Quote
I'll sum it up like this: The defense is statistically on pace to be the worst defense in history.

The offense is below average at best and bad at worst.
Reply/Quote
The only Saints’ possession that didn’t end with points was the last one when backup QB Teddy Bridgewater took a knee.
Reply/Quote
Pretty much, not sure if its because Austin is too friendly with Marvin or Mike but he should have lost his job weeks ago just like Zampese when he was bringing down the entire offense.

One thing I do disagree with is that we have too many weakness to fix this defense, just like with the offense under Zampese its all about scheme and playcalling. I mean we had Geno, Dunlap, Lawson, W. Jackson all playing insanely well last year and everyone of these guys has made less of an impact this year than in previous. How did Lawson go from nearly unblockable to invisible in 1 season? How did William Jackson go from shutdown to getting beat all year? How did a team with our Dline go from above average to being non existent for much of this year?

Coaching. Yea we have some holes in our defense, especially at LB but this team isn't without talent it just doesn't have a coach that can use it properly.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:28 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Pretty much, not sure if its because Austin is too friendly with Marvin or Mike but he should have lost his job weeks ago just like Zampese when he was bring down the entire offense.

One thing I do disagree with is that we have too many weakness to fix this defense, just like with the offense under Zampese its all about scheme and play playcalling. I mean we had Geno, Dunlap, Lawson, W. Jackson all playing insanely well last year and everyone of these guys has made less of an impact this year than in previous. How did Lawson go from nearly unblockable able to invisible in 1 season? How did William Jackson go from shutdown to getting beat all year? How did a team with our Dline go from above average to being non existent for much of this year?

Coaching. Yea we have some holes in our defense, especially at LB but this team isn't without talent it just doesn't have a coach that can use it properly.

A lot of the 'weaknesses' are the guys are out of position and not maintaining gap integrity. 6 guys run to the RB and he just bounces it outside.
Reply/Quote
Not to try and say "I told you so" ... But... For the last few drafts I've whined about the lack of defensive talent taken. Not depth added or "let's see what happens" late draft picks, but legitimate talent. And that's where we are, with a few talented players and little leadership for them.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:34 AM)Benton Wrote: Not to try and say "I told you so" ... But... For the last few drafts I've whined about the lack of defensive talent taken. Not depth added or "let's see what happens" late draft picks, but legitimate talent. And that's where we are, with a few talented players and little leadership for them.

A high-quality LB that can cover a TE would sure look good right about now!

Honestly, with how poorly coached these guys are...I doubt it matters.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:11 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, be prepared to be told you're a horrible fan who should go root for another team, that Dalton is the reason the defense is this bad, and that your post isn't going to fix the team so keep your opinions to yourself.

Dalton is the reason the d fence is bad. About time someone brought it up.
Reply/Quote
A quote from Cinci Jungle
"The Bengals employ the league’s worst-ranked defense — they were a top-10 squad in five of the last seven years and ranked 16th last season. The biggest change is Austin’s schemes; they’re not fitting with the talent on-the-field. "

We must get this man away from the Bengals. He's destroying our team. How does someone this bad even get a DC job? I should've done my homework. I fell for Hobson talking about Austin's aggressive schemes lol. Id' be waiting my entire life to see that play out. This guy doesnt belong in the NFL at all from what I've seen.
Reply/Quote
Is Austin fired yet? Wtf
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:08 AM)kevin Wrote: The TV announcers say it. The Stats show it.  The Bengals are the worst defense in the NFL.  

After this game some will complain about Andy Dalton, but I tell you the best quarterbacks ever could not have won today.  The Saints never had to punt and never came close to punting.  The Bengals defense never made a defensive stop the entire game.  So as the Saints scored every time they had the ball, the Bengals offense that started well had no chance thanks to our lousy defense.

I often try to see upsides and I get called a homer. There are no upsides. The defense is too bad to win and that is with or without Burfict.  Since year after year Burfict sits out more games than he plays in, this year is no exception.  The linebackers are awful with or without Burfict and the defensive backs are probably worse.  Today it looked like Brees and Saints ran and threw the ball right to Bengals # 36 Williams on purpose because he never comes close to making a good play.  Williams on the field is the same as only having 10 men on defense.

The Fans are upset with Austin and now in later part of season, I agree.  Marvin Lewis is suppose to be the great defensive guru.  I now see that our best years under Marvin were due to having Vikings head coach Zimmer and Redskins head coach Gruden.  

So many, many, many more changes needed in off season. It does look like time for Marvin Lewis to go.  Austin needs a quick exit and the fans are right on that.  Bengals need a whole new defense.  Burfict will just miss most games from here on out, so dump him also. They are all to slow and no talent. None of them can tackle.  There is a Vince Lombardi clip where he complains about " grab, grab, grab ".  The Bengals are worse because they don't even grab, in fact they seem afraid of getting hit.

Bengals last year had the worst O Line in NFL.  This year the worst defense in NFL.  So Bengals are unable to block and tackle and that greatly lowers any play-off hopes.  I don't know where the Bengals go from here, but right now they are pretty bad.  There were many of us who wanted Zimmer kept on as the Head Coach, and the Fans are looking right on that one.   Marvin Lewis who is suppose to be the great defensive master has the worst defense in the NFL, the players they draft or add are way to slow.  Marvin Lewis now has to go, and any changes the new Head Coach makes brought in for 2019.

I repeat, I am the team homer from old Bengals.com and this site.  So if I am saying this, it is like President Johnson losing Walter Cronkite, because I have always supported Bengals when others didn't.  This team is just too bad to be good.  You win with Blocking and Tackling and Bengals have been weak in both areas.  If you put Big Ben, Rivers, Brady, Brees or any QB on this team they couldn't win either.  Not without Block and Tackle.

There is no quick fix band aid for this team, it has too many weaknesses.

And in other breaking news, water is wet.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:14 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Is Austin fired yet?   Wtf

Something has got to happen.  That stadium is going to continue to get emptier and emptier if they don't show the fans they are serious about trying to win.  

First, they do nothing to get better at the trade deadline.  And now, assuming Austin is not fired, their going to try to sell the same narrative to the fans about the defense?  Got to get better, prepare better, tackle better, be accountable to each other, etc.  Puke!

In my world when you under-perform you are shown the door.  There is no "well who is going to replace so and so".  Everyone, and I mean everyone, can be replaced.  People need to be put on notice and that starts with the head smoke.  Marvin's going nowhere so that means Austin must go to set an example for everyone.  He might be a nice guy but his message is no good.  You get no skins with your people when you are dead last.  For that reason alone Austin must go.
Reply/Quote
Is this the pivotal time when the Browns become good and the Bengals become bad again?
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 10:45 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Something has got to happen.  That stadium is going to continue to get emptier and emptier if they don't show the fans they are serious about trying to win.  

First, they do nothing to get better at the trade deadline.  And now, assuming Austin is not fired, their going to try to sell the same narrative to the fans about the defense?  Got to get better, prepare better, tackle better, be accountable to each other, etc.  Puke!

In my world when you under-perform you are shown the door.  There is no "well who is going to replace so and so".  Everyone, and I mean everyone, can be replaced.  People need to be put on notice and that starts with the head smoke.  Marvin's going nowhere so that means Austin must go to set an example for everyone.  He might be a nice guy but his message is no good.  You get no skins with your people when you are dead last.  For that reason alone Austin must go.

Pfffttt....they already have 5 wins. 5-11 is the worst this team can do which is about where analysts said we'd finish.

Anything more is gravy for the Bengals.

Literally EVERY play the opponents tries works against this defense though.
Reply/Quote
I need to add to my post

Due to Austin fired and Marvin taking over the D, at least they are trying something.

The schedule has home games that make 8 wins possible. Maybe even 9 or 10 if Marvin kicks D butt and turns D around a little.

I see rumors Hue Jackson coming in after Austin being fired. I hope they let Lazor run offense and Hue would just be to help Marvin with defense and like an assistant head coach as Marvin takes over the D.

They are still worst D in NFL, but maybe firing Austin might help last 7 games. As bad as it was, it can't hurt.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I understand where you’re coming from but still feel 10 wins is very possible but unlikely.

I think the raiders, browns and Denver are all very winnable games. That would put us at 9 of course and maybe into the sixth seed depending on how things play out with Tennessee and Baltimore.

If we can win those plus either at ravens or Pittsburgh we got 10. 5-1 from here on out is a big ask though. I think this d can and will improve. I’m not the biggest Marvin fan but he’s got to do better.
Reply/Quote