Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Are Worst Defense In NFL
I'm just not convinced that wins against Cleveland are a sure thing anymore.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:17 PM)motoarch Wrote: I understand where you’re coming from but still feel 10 wins is very possible but unlikely.

I think the raiders, browns and Denver are all very winnable games.  That would put us at 9 of course and maybe into the sixth seed depending on how things play out with Tennessee and Baltimore.

If we can win those plus either at ravens or Pittsburgh we got 10.  5-1 from here on out is a big ask though.  I think this d can and will  improve.  I’m not the biggest Marvin fan but he’s got to do better.

See my new add on post right before yours.  

If Marvin can improve D with Austin fired.   If they can beat Baltimore, that is 6-4.   Wins at home against Browns, Broncos, Raiders would be 9-5 if they lose at Chargers.  That leaves at Cleveland and Pittsburg to get win # 10.  Of course Marvin has to turn the D around, but firing Austin is a start.   So We Agree
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
For years I have ran into the problem where I defend a Bengal player or coach who is average to above average against outrageous claims that he is "the worst in the league".  Too many times an above average player/coach gets called "garbage" or "an embarrassment" simply because he is not an All Pro elite player.

But with this defense there is nothing I can say.  All the screaming about "scheme" and "coaching" doesn't explain why guys who have been in the league for years suddenly have forgotten how to tackle a ball carrier.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For years I have ran into the problem where I defend a Bengal player or coach who is average to above average against outrageous claims that he is "the worst in the league".  Too many times an above average player/coach gets called "garbage" or "an embarrassment" simply because he is not an All Pro elite player.

But with this defense there is nothing I can say.  All the screaming about "scheme" and "coaching" don't explain why guys who have been in the league for years suddenly have forgotten how to tackle a ball carrier.

There is now a chance of Hope.  Austin fired since I started this thread. Marvin takes over on D.  Well, with Marvin's job on the line also, maybe he kicks some D players butts and they start to tackle again.  That is a lot of Maybe's, but I like that they fired Austin and it is worth a shot.   An improvement in the D could still bring a 9 or 10 win season. After the last 4 games on D, a 9 or 10 win season would be great. 

There is rumor Hue is coming in fast. I'm hoping they let Lazor run the offense, and Hue as an assistant head coach as Marvin takes over the D, which is all better than what Austin was doing.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
There is 0% chance that Marvin's job is on the line. Austin is the scapegoat this year.
Reply/Quote
From the Saints game....

"#Saints' Drew Brees picked on #Bengals linebacker Jordan Evans without mercy.

Evans allowed five receptions from six targets for 120 yards and two TDs against NO in Week 10.

Cincinnati's need for a coverage linebacker couldn't be more evident than it is now."
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:11 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, be prepared to be told you're a horrible fan who should go root for another team, that Dalton is the reason the defense is this bad, and that your post isn't going to fix the team so keep your opinions to yourself.

WAIT!!  I resemble that remark!   Wink
Reply/Quote
My question is how far do we have to go to get to second worst defense in the league? Is it reachable?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:08 AM)kevin Wrote: The TV announcers say it. The Stats show it.  The Bengals are the worst defense in the NFL.  

After this game some will complain about Andy Dalton, but I tell you the best quarterbacks ever could not have won today.  The Saints never had to punt and never came close to punting.  The Bengals defense never made a defensive stop the entire game.  So as the Saints scored every time they had the ball, the Bengals offense that started well had no chance thanks to our lousy defense.

I often try to see upsides and I get called a homer. There are no upsides. The defense is too bad to win and that is with or without Burfict.  Since year after year Burfict sits out more games than he plays in, this year is no exception.  The linebackers are awful with or without Burfict and the defensive backs are probably worse.  Today it looked like Brees and Saints ran and threw the ball right to Bengals # 36 Williams on purpose because he never comes close to making a good play.  Williams on the field is the same as only having 10 men on defense.

The Fans are upset with Austin and now in later part of season, I agree.  Marvin Lewis is suppose to be the great defensive guru.  I now see that our best years under Marvin were due to having Vikings head coach Zimmer and Redskins head coach Gruden.  

So many, many, many more changes needed in off season. It does look like time for Marvin Lewis to go.  Austin needs a quick exit and the fans are right on that.  Bengals need a whole new defense.  Burfict will just miss most games from here on out, so dump him also. They are all to slow and no talent. None of them can tackle.  There is a Vince Lombardi clip where he complains about " grab, grab, grab ".  The Bengals are worse because they don't even grab, in fact they seem afraid of getting hit.

Bengals last year had the worst O Line in NFL.  This year the worst defense in NFL.  So Bengals are unable to block and tackle and that greatly lowers any play-off hopes.  I don't know where the Bengals go from here, but right now they are pretty bad.  There were many of us who wanted Zimmer kept on as the Head Coach, and the Fans are looking right on that one.   Marvin Lewis who is suppose to be the great defensive master has the worst defense in the NFL, the players they draft or add are way to slow.  Marvin Lewis now has to go, and any changes the new Head Coach makes brought in for 2019.

I repeat, I am the team homer from old Bengals.com and this site.  So if I am saying this, it is like President Johnson losing Walter Cronkite, because I have always supported Bengals when others didn't.  This team is just too bad to be good.  You win with Blocking and Tackling and Bengals have been weak in both areas.  If you put Big Ben, Rivers, Brady, Brees or any QB on this team they couldn't win either.  Not without Block and Tackle.

There is no quick fix band aid for this team, it has too many weaknesses.

The defense was horrible. Dalton wasn't much better though as he only had 12 completions. Sure he could not have won this game, but he sure could have moved the offense a lot better than he did. AJ Green's affect on the score and offense sure does show itself when he's not out there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 02:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Dalton wasn't much better though as he only had 12 completions. Sure he could not have won this game, but he sure could have moved the offense a lot better than he did.

[Image: 120689.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 02:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The defense was horrible. Dalton wasn't much better though as he only had 12 completions. Sure he could not have won this game, but he sure could have moved the offense a lot better than he did. AJ Green's affect on the score and offense sure does show itself when he's not out there.

NO AJ

Losing Ross early

No Tight ends of note

Banged up RBs

No one steping up at WR outside of boyd.

Yeah I think Dalton just gonna have to start running himself more.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:11 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: While I agree with a lot of what you're saying, be prepared to be told you're a horrible fan who should go root for another team, that Dalton is the reason the defense is this bad, and that your post isn't going to fix the team so keep your opinions to yourself.

I'm willing to accept that it's all my fault for being a bad fan since I don't buy Bengals "gear" AND I failed to go fishing during the game since I was driving from Florida back to South Carolina at the time . Of course I could have had a fishing pole hanging from the side of the van and cast a hook towards any body of water along the way driving at 75 mph on I-95. 
Yep, definitely all my fault..  Sad

I was driving the wifes soccer mom minivan.. I know. .hang my head in shame for such a breach of manly protocol . But heck, the truck doesn't have a working heater and the van does which is why the Bengals lost so badly.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 11:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: [Image: 120689.jpg]

Nice, just cut out half my post.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 11:45 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: NO AJ

Losing Ross early

No Tight ends of note

Banged up RBs

No one steping up at WR outside of boyd.

Yeah I think Dalton just gonna have to start running himself more.

My point was that AJ Green affects the offense a great deal, and Dalton can't make up for that. Ross played until the last drive and caught a pass from Driskel.

The OC should have run Mixon much more, he was the bright spot on the offense at over 5 yards a carry.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2018, 02:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The defense was horrible. Dalton wasn't much better though as he only had 12 completions. Sure he could not have won this game, but he sure could have moved the offense a lot better than he did. AJ Green's affect on the score and offense sure does show itself when he's not out there.

It's not just AJ being out that contributed to Dalton having a rough day, it's the fact he was also down Tyler Eifert and Tyler Kroft. Green and Eifert  were supposed to be his primary options in the passing game. Most offenses will struggle when their top two options aren't there. Right now, the Bengals have Boyd and a bunch of not-yet-provens. Until someone else besides Boyd steps up as a legitimate threat, Boyd will get double-covered, the opposing defense will stack the box, and they will force Dalton to make throws.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The D holds the Ravens under 21 this week.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 04:56 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: The D holds the Ravens under 21 this week.

Per half?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:48 PM)McC Wrote: My question is how far do we have to go to get to second worst defense in the league?  Is it reachable?

By seasons end I's say we'll have to come up 8 or 10 spots to even have a prayer.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2018, 05:05 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Per half?
Whole game.
Reply/Quote
My biggest complaint the last few drafts was we werent paying enough attention to the defense. We gamble on some offensive players, we take a safe pick like a corner, but weve let the dl slip and haven't made a real effort to develop linebackers into the roles we need.

It's caught up to us, both the lack of talent and the lack of coaching.
Reply/Quote