Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Common Theme among Our OL Signings?
(03-21-2022, 08:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That would be a hilarious bit..... Have ol piano man ask them how they use the ketchup bottle placed before them and all three just take it and bite it in half.   Hilarious

I never understood why people get worked up over that. It was obviously one of thos pre-draft questions used to surprise players. Every team asks strange questions like that to rattle the prospects a little from their uniformed questions. Whenever news media interviews a draft prospect they always ask if they were asked anything weird by teams.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:08 PM)Synric Wrote: I never understood why people get worked up over that. It was obviously one of thos pre-draft questions used to surprise players. Every team asks strange questions like that to rattle the prospects a little from their uniformed questions. Whenever news media interviews a draft prospect they always ask if they were asked anything weird by teams.

People really latch onto things when they don’t like a player/coach. Getting on him for playing the piano was always weird to me as well. Like it was a bad thing the guy wasn’t a total knuckle dragger.

Reply/Quote
There are so many Collins/Oline threads, that it's hard to know where you put this but, for anyone interested, NFL.com graded La'el Collins as a 6.70 prospect back in 2015. This means they considered him a day 1 starter.

For context, they graded Rashawn Slater as a 6.70 and Penei Sewell as a 6.73. Also the same grade they gave Jonah Williams.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 07:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Collins
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/la%27el-collins/3200434f-4c62-2930-5ec3-8f5e38e5e458
-Loves to mash and intimidate opponents
-Mean player

Cappa
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/alex-cappa/32004341-5037-0596-30b8-a29641c28ea6
-Emphatic finisher snap after snap and his mean is always on
-Hands are violent and strong

Karras
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ted-karras/32004b41-5258-2765-78d9-7663d77bb277
-Gritty demeanor on the field
-Intensity on game day is legendary

Couldn't be happier with the demeanor of the glass eaters we brought in. This is AFC North football. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People really latch onto things when they don’t like a player/coach. Getting on him for playing the piano was always weird to me as well. Like it was a bad thing the guy wasn’t a total knuckle dragger.

I just used the name because of the Billy Joel song. I actually think it's pretty cool that he's a damn good pianist, I used to make fun of Mikey keeping him for 25 years because he could use Paul as "cheap" entertainment at functions. Tongue

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 01:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People really latch onto things when they don’t like a player/coach. Getting on him for playing the piano was always weird to me as well. Like it was a bad thing the guy wasn’t a total knuckle dragger.

Man, they would absolutely blister Mike Reid for playing guitar and writing hit songs for Bonnie Ratt.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 07:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Collins
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/la%27el-collins/3200434f-4c62-2930-5ec3-8f5e38e5e458
-Loves to mash and intimidate opponents
-Mean player

Cappa
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/alex-cappa/32004341-5037-0596-30b8-a29641c28ea6
-Emphatic finisher snap after snap and his mean is always on
-Hands are violent and strong

Karras
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ted-karras/32004b41-5258-2765-78d9-7663d77bb277
-Gritty demeanor on the field
-Intensity on game day is legendary

and here I thought the common thread was they all just recently had really good steak for dinner!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 09:14 PM)GodFather Wrote: and here I thought the common thread was they all just recently had really good steak for dinner!

I bet they all are looking forward to those steak dinners for years with Brrr!!!

Good recruiting tactic. Steak tastes better than glass lol
Reply/Quote
Gregg Rosenthal, in an NFL.com article published yesterday (Monday), was not really big on the Cappa signing:

"A great system and offensive line coach will make signing interior offensive linemen in free agency unnecessary. It's admitting you have a problem, which is only a good strategy if you choose well. Alex Cappa was an improving, solid guard for the Bucs. But there's a reason they didn't prioritize keeping him at a big price."

He goes on to say that it's not to say he is a bad player. He is a starter. But the best deal in which to find a starting guard is a rookie deal."

I don't think he understands the history of poor draft picks by the Bengals over the years and the need to have a proven guard in place now. (And last year.)

He has other signings that he lists as risky signings, including Uzomah.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-free-agency-riskiest-contracts-given-out-so-far-jaguars-aggressive-move
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 08:16 AM)Nepa Wrote: Gregg Rosenthal, in an NFL.com article published yesterday (Monday), was not really big on the Cappa signing:

"A great system and offensive line coach will make signing interior offensive linemen in free agency unnecessary. It's admitting you have a problem, which is only a good strategy if you choose well. Alex Cappa was an improving, solid guard for the Bucs. But there's a reason they didn't prioritize keeping him at a big price."

He goes on to say that it's not to say he is a bad player. He is a starter. But the best deal in which to find a starting guard is a rookie deal."

I don't think he understands the history of poor draft picks by the Bengals over the years and the need to have a proven guard in place now. (And last year.)

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-free-agency-riskiest-contracts-given-out-so-far-jaguars-aggressive-move

Well he's an idiot. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 08:16 AM)Nepa Wrote: Gregg Rosenthal, in an NFL.com article published yesterday (Monday), was not really big on the Cappa signing:

Rosenthal is opining too much about his views for building an NFL roster and failing to recognize the roster fluidity from one season to the next and the Bengals actual needs. The Bengals needed OL and a starting guard for a team wanting to win it all now. Pick 31 doesn't always afford the luxury of finding a starting guard.

Dumb take by Rosenthal.
Reply/Quote

The best deal for any position is a rookie deal, Gregg.  

Watch out, Captain Obvious.  Gregg is coming for your job.
Reply/Quote

So stupid. That has been the biggest problem with us for years is not paying Guards what they are worth and relying on 
Draft picks to be the answer. OL in college is one of the hardest positions to judge. Go get proven vets in FA and draft for
depth needs to be more of the way I would go. You know how these guys play in the NFL.

You know nothing about any draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So stupid. That has been the biggest problem with us for years is not paying Guards what they are worth and relying on 
Draft picks to be the answer. OL in college is one of the hardest positions to judge. Go get proven vets in FA and draft for
depth needs to be more of the way I would go. You know how these guys play in the NFL.

You know nothing about any draft pick.

Yeah.  When you have a franchise quarterback, you don't leave Oline personal to chance from the draft.  You go after proven commodities in FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:23 PM)Yogo Wrote: Yeah.  When you have a franchise quarterback, you don't leave Oline personal to chance from the draft.  You go after proven commodities in FA.

Especially now a days where OL in college has fell down hill quite a bit and they don't always play in pro systems.

You just don't know how they will adjust to the pro game. We have seen it time and time again. I do like Carman and D'Ante
but I also liked Adeniji until late last season. I also liked Price in college and even Jake Fisher, you just don't know...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 08:16 AM)Nepa Wrote: He goes on to say that it's not to say he is a bad player. He is a starter. But the best deal in which to find a starting guard is a rookie deal."

Very few of the starting guards on their "rookie deals" actually started as rookies. Carman and\or Smith could end up as starters on their rookie contracts.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  
Very few of the starting guards on their "rookie deals" actually started as rookies. Carman and\or Smith could end up as starters on their rookie contracts.

True, it is honestly just a stupid thing to say. Cappa is a proven vet, I don't care if we were drafting #1 overall we don't know
how good any Guard would be as a rookie in the NFL. The last no brainer was Quinton Nelson in my opinion but you never know
about draft picks.
Reply/Quote