Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season by Season breakdown of ML vs. Playoff Teams
(12-21-2018, 04:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right on !

How many times have we seen this team up and totally abandon the run when the lights are the brightest ? Hell this season there's examples. Mixon 11 carries, 12 carries, and we were still very in the game and we were having some success.  It's like we panic when there's no need and then play with little urgency when it's totally called for.

We totally should have beat the Chargers that season, such a waste of a decent team.

In the particular instance in question....they ran him a little to start the 3rd quarter (the YPC wasn't great in the 3rd, but there weren't many attempts), then came the first turnover, and subsequent Chargers score.  Then came another turnover, and another score, but if I'm remembering right, one was a TD, and one was a FG.  At this point, they left Bennie on the bench for THE DURATION OF THE GAME.  After the second turnover would have been a GREAT opportunity to get the ball out of Andy's hands for a little bit to settle him down, get the offense some T.O.P. running the ball, and resting the defense.  SD had no answer for Green-Ellis for LITERALLY four years, on both NE and CIN.  What did we do?  Put the ball back in the hands of an obviously rattled QB.  Brilliant!

Let's just say that, after the 2nd turnover and SD score, we get the ball, run Bennie for a couple of plays and he either picks up enough yards to get us a 1st, or 3rd and short.  We can now run the ball again with him or Gio, or use a very short/high percentage passing play to settle the QB down, and help build his confidence back, and get a little momentum. If you convert, you ease back into the passing game, while still leaning on the run game to help your young QB.  Worst case scenario, flip the field on them with a punt and play defense (of course, Danny Woodhead looked like Earl Campbell out there against us that day, so.....) Nope! Have him throw it again and see what happens! Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 05:39 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I 110% don't disagree. Dalton has been terrible in the playoffs. As has anyone that has worn the Bengals jersey under Marvin Lewis.

The example I continue to make is Palmer. Palmer played two years with the Raiders, then a few more with the Cardinals and won playoff games before we could even wipe our own ass.

We have went through TWO different eras of teams, under two different QBs, different receivers, different defensive ideologies. It's ALL under the same man.

I don't care if it's Dalton, Palmer, Driskel, Uncle Rico or my Mom, this team falters under Marvin Lewis' coaching. 

All true.

It all started the day Paul Brown died and Mike Brown named himself GM. It's been a string of disasters ever since that day.

Paul Brown = innovative and changed the game numerous times.

Mike Brown = "don't dare change anything cause I can't see what that would do to everything and my comfort level is the most important thing to me."

Marv or no Marv, until the disease is removed the symptoms will continue.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: In the particular instance in question....they ran him a little to start the 3rd quarter (the YPC wasn't great in the 3rd, but there weren't many attempts), then came the first turnover, and subsequent Chargers score.  Then came another turnover, and another score, but if I'm remembering right, one was a TD, and one was a FG.  At this point, they left Bennie on the bench for THE DURATION OF THE GAME.  After the second turnover would have been a GREAT opportunity to get the ball out of Andy's hands for a little bit to settle him down, get the offense some T.O.P. running the ball, and resting the defense.  SD had no answer for Green-Ellis for LITERALLY four years, on both NE and CIN.  What did we do?  Put the ball back in the hands of an obviously rattled QB.  Brilliant!

Let's just say that, after the 2nd turnover and SD score, we get the ball, run Bennie for a couple of plays and he either picks up enough yards to get us a 1st, or 3rd and short.  We can now run the ball again with him or Gio, or use a very short/high percentage passing play to settle the QB down, and help build his confidence back, and get a little momentum. If you convert, you ease back into the passing game, while still leaning on the run game to help your young QB.  Worst case scenario, flip the field on them with a punt and play defense (of course, Danny Woodhead looked like Earl Campbell out there against us that day, so.....) Nope! Have him throw it again and see what happens! Mellow

Nail meet hammer.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: In the particular instance in question....they ran him a little to start the 3rd quarter (the YPC wasn't great in the 3rd, but there weren't many attempts), then came the first turnover, and subsequent Chargers score.  Then came another turnover, and another score, but if I'm remembering right, one was a TD, and one was a FG.  At this point, they left Bennie on the bench for THE DURATION OF THE GAME.  After the second turnover would have been a GREAT opportunity to get the ball out of Andy's hands for a little bit to settle him down, get the offense some T.O.P. running the ball, and resting the defense.  SD had no answer for Green-Ellis for LITERALLY four years, on both NE and CIN.  What did we do?  Put the ball back in the hands of an obviously rattled QB.  Brilliant!

Wrong. If we keep trying to run in the second half with the chargers coming back then you all lose your shit because "MARVIN LEWIS IS TOO CONSERVATIVE WITH A LEAD IN THE SECOND HALF!!!!"
Reply/Quote

Sound statements.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 02:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If you look at the seasons where we've done decent, 3-4 or whatever it usually includes a win or two over Ravens.

For whatever reason that's one slightly bright spot for Merv ?

Overall though he spits the bit regular against the better competition. 

His performance against the Ravens is literally the only bright spot for me at this point and for that i will   Clapping

But it is also maddening when you realize those same Rats often beat the Stools.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 03:08 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Spot on! Playoff Bengals do not remotely look like the Regular Season Bengals.....

And this is also maddening to try and explain to friends that don't watch Bengals games and don't understand the hoopla. "Jeez your team sucks dude how in the hell do they have a winning record?"  

My answer? "It's like Steven Tyler fell off the stage again."

It's all I've got. Whatever

Reply/Quote

Acid flashbacks man, you just made me remember exactly why i felt Merv should have been fired right after that game. Because what you typed is exactly what a good coach would have done.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 07:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong. If we keep trying to run in the second half with the chargers coming back then you all lose your shit because "MARVIN LEWIS IS TOO CONSERVATIVE WITH A LEAD IN THE SECOND HALF!!!!"

Wrong. We win if we do what works and no one loses their shit.

(12-21-2018, 11:47 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Acid flashbacks man, you just made me remember exactly why i felt Merv should have been fired right after that game. Because what you typed is exactly what a good coach would have done.

Precisely.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 05:39 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I 110% don't disagree. Dalton has been terrible in the playoffs. As has anyone that has worn the Bengals jersey under Marvin Lewis.

The example I continue to make is Palmer. Palmer played two years with the Raiders, then a few more with the Cardinals and won playoff games before we could even wipe our own ass.

We have went through TWO different eras of teams, under two different QBs, different receivers, different defensive ideologies. It's ALL under the same man.

I don't care if it's Dalton, Palmer, Driskel, Uncle Rico or my Mom, this team falters under Marvin Lewis' coaching. 

Palmer won one playoff game. Not games plural.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2018, 07:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong. If we keep trying to run in the second half with the chargers coming back then you all lose your shit because "MARVIN LEWIS IS TOO CONSERVATIVE WITH A LEAD IN THE SECOND HALF!!!!"

WRONG. I'd be aware of situational stats in that regard.....lest you forget, I was the one pining for John Conner and smash mouth football several years back when they eliminated the FB position. 

TFOH with putting words in people's mouths....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 03:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wrong. We win if we do what works and no one loses their shit.

How can that be possible if playing conservative with a lead makes marvin a moron?

"MARVIN PLAYS NOT TO LOSE!!! HE MUST BE FIRED!!!"
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 05:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Palmer won one playoff game. Not games plural.

And threw 4 picks the next week.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 05:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Palmer won one playoff game. Not games plural.

One win over Aaron Rodgers after getting a first round bye.  Again, not HOF material, but if Marvin did that good lord he'd get a 25+ year extension.  Palmer also had a dislocated (or some other manner of mucked-up) index finger on his throwing hand going into the playoffs that year, too.  That probably didn't help, but there is no denying he and the Cardinals crapped all over themselves in the NFC championship game.

[Image: CWuEN5VWsAAE7bY.png]
Reply/Quote