Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Defense now 3-4 hybrid
(03-05-2020, 08:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They better make some big moves this year cause that is the way most of us Bengal fans feel now. Apathetic.

Don't care no more.

WhoDey2  I used to be a absolute paint my face die hard!. I put the fan in fanatic. Then 2015 happened. The absolute triple gut punch with a swift kick in balls.

2016 and 2017, I couldn't bring myself to go to Training Camp. Couldn't bring myself to look at / or post on these boards. Didn't go to any games. Watched a few half-heartedly on TV, never brought out any Bengal gear.

2018 I started VERY SLOWLY getting back into the swing and then 2019 happened.

This year, I'm excited. Already told the wife we're going to at least 2 maybe 3 games. The gear and the "Green" jerseys will reappear... Who Dey
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: As for the term hybrid, a lot of teams in the NFL run hybrid defenses. The patriots for years have run a hybrid defense and all of Belichick's disciples have ran them as well. It's nothing new, but fans like to think of teams being either a 4-3 or a 3-4 and that's not how NFL defenses look at themselves really anymore.

I agree with this 100%

(03-05-2020, 10:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: This is where things are actually a bit muddy because it's all semantics. Those "5 D linemen" looks were actually just a  3-4 under front. The two widest "D linemen" were standing up so while on the roster they were called defensive linemen they were actually linebackers in those instances.

I can't find any photos right now, but I thought there were 8 in the box when we used the "3 DT" formation.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree with this 100%

I can't find any photos right now, but I thought there were 8 in the box when we used the "3 DT" formation.

And on the snap, Billings drops back in coverage right? 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The problem I see with switching to a 3-4 means they’re going to continue to ignore the offensive line.

Yeah, just like last year when they drafted an OT #11 overall and tried to move up in the 2nd round for another and then drafted an OG in the 4th as well as signing Miller in free agency.
Reply/Quote
As far as this "change" goes, I don't see where it really y affects the defense all that much since they are in nickel over 75% of the time.

IF this a true base defense that was played 80% of the time, we are going to need a ton of personnel changes:

1. True NT. This would be essential and arguably the most important piece to make the transition.
2. A couple of guys that could play DE in this scheme. Dunlap could probably do it, but we would need another
3. At least 2 inside LBs.

I also think that we have a couple guys that are great fits (Lawson, Hubbard) but that Geno is a poor fit in that type of defense. That being said, I still don't think it means much since the base defense is nicke;.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 02:11 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: As far as this "change" goes, I don't see where it really y affects the defense all that much since they are in nickel over 75% of the time.

IF this a true base defense that was played 80% of the time, we are going to need a ton of personnel changes:

1.  True NT.  This would be essential and arguably the most important piece to make the transition.
2.  A couple of guys that could play DE in this scheme.  Dunlap could probably do it, but we would need another
3.  At least 2 inside LBs.

I also think that we have a couple guys that are great fits (Lawson, Hubbard) but that Geno is a poor fit in that type of defense.  That being said, I still don't think it means much since the base defense is nicke;.

I agree with everything you say here, I just cannot help but think Geno could bully OT's on the edge.

He can already bully two inside O-lineman.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 04:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with everything you say here, I just cannot help but think Geno could bully OT's on the edge.

He can already bully two inside O-lineman.

I guess it depends on how they use him.  A lot of the traditional 3-4 schemes ask the DEs to 2-gap, and I don't think that's his strong suit.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 04:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess it depends on how they use him.  A lot of the traditional 3-4 schemes ask the DEs to 2-gap, and I don't think that's his strong suit.

Are you sure about that?  I think that Geno has been doing 2 gap duty, pretty much his entire career in the 3 technique in the 4-3.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2020, 10:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Get with the program, in a 3-4 defense, guys like Sam Hubbard and Carl Lawson are now OLBs.  Pratt and Vigil would actually make a decent pair of ILBs in a 3-4 setup.

I can see that both of them would be good at rushing the QB and Hubbard can set the edge, but can either of the cover a TE or RB. Certainly they'd both be better going to the flat than Billings, but sending Billings into coverage last season was a coach mistake.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 05:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you sure about that?  I think that Geno has been doing 2 gap duty, pretty much his entire career in the 3 technique in the 4-3.

Was thinking the same thing when Hammerstripes said this?

(03-07-2020, 10:35 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I can see that both of them would be good at rushing the QB and Hubbard can set the edge, but can either of the cover a TE or RB. Certainly they'd both be better going to the flat than Billings, but sending Billings into coverage last season was a coach mistake.

Hubbard can cover, former Safety and was dropping back last year a lot.

Lawson is the question, I know it would be predictable but I would just have Lawson pass rush a lot, he is a great pass rusher.

I think we need to add another 3-4 LB that can cover like Hubbard.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 02:08 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, just like last year when they drafted an OT #11 overall and tried to move up in the 2nd round for another and then drafted an OG in the 4th as well as signing Miller in free agency.

Yeah, you’re right. I also failed to mention they traded for Cordy Glenn, drafted Billy Price in the first round, and re-signed Bobbie Hart.

So now that I think about it, the offensive line is all set. And guess I probably should have wrote this makes me concerned they won’t acknowledge their mistakes and improve the shitty offensive line instead of ignoring it. Better?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 08:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They better make some big moves this year cause that is the way most of us Bengal fans feel now. Apathetic.

Don't care no more.

Now that I've moved out of market to see Bengals games on local TV, I have to actually spend decent money to watch them.
Needless to say, I haven't much the past two seasons.
This offseason will be paramount to whether I keep trying to watch at all anymore.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 05:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Now that I've moved out of market to see Bengals games on local TV, I have to actually spend decent money to watch them.
Needless to say, I haven't much the past two seasons.
This offseason will be paramount to whether I keep trying to watch at all anymore.

I too, have quit going to extra effort to watch the games, the past two years.  I do have the Redzone channel, as part of the sports package on Spectrum cable.  Unless the Bengals are somehow on in my local market, I watch the entire league via Redzone.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 06:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I too, have quit going to extra effort to watch the games, the past two years.  I do have the Redzone channel, as part of the sports package on Spectrum cable.  Unless the Bengals are somehow on in my local market, I watch the entire league via Redzone.

Damn... We're never in the red zone either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah I moved to North Dakota a few years back and it's super hard to watch games. I luckily have a Buffalo Wild Wings near that I ask to watch the games at, but last season I didnt even do that much. Hopefully they give me reason to start watching them all the time again.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I moved to North Dakota a few years back and it's super hard to watch games. I luckily have a Buffalo Wild Wings near that I ask to watch the games at, but last season I didnt even do that much. Hopefully they give me reason to start watching them all the time again.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 04:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess it depends on how they use him.  A lot of the traditional 3-4 schemes ask the DEs to 2-gap, and I don't think that's his strong suit.

Wade Phillips has run a 1 gap 3-4 scheme for a couple decades. It's the scheme that allowed JJ Watt to become JJ Watt and allowed Aaron Donald to transition into a 3-4 yet still be an elite pass rusher.  
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can't find any photos right now, but I thought there were 8 in the box when we used the "3 DT" formation.

3 DT was kind of what I was talking about when I was saying semantics before. While they were 3 DT's as far as being listed on the roster if I remember correctly they were in a 5-0-5 alignment (maybe 4i-0-4i), which is a 3-4 down linemen alignment. I don't really look at what a guys is listed at on the roster, I look at where they are aligned and their responsibilities .
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 01:11 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Big guy will return a pick to the house someday!!

Yea then he will wake up....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 08:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: Wade Phillips has run a 1 gap 3-4 scheme for a couple decades. It's the scheme that allowed JJ Watt to become JJ Watt and allowed Aaron Donald to transition into a 3-4 yet still be an elite pass rusher.  

I want to see what Hubbard can become under that type of scheme. Cool
Reply/Quote