Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Dumped 40 Million in Payroll Over Free Agency
If you look at payroll gone and payroll added in Free Agency going to other teams, coming from other teams.

It is Bengals goal between now and start of season to resign Burrow long term. They have this extra 40 Million, plus it is why they leased out the stadium name rights to a corporation, where as before they refused to give up Paul Brown Stadium name. The extra 40 Million plus the Stadium Name contract is for the goal of resigning Burrow, who they do NOT want to see on the Free Agent Open Market in a Winter of discontent.

Oh, the stadium name of Paycor brings in around 10 Million per year, so that adds up to 50 Million right there to start resigning Burrow long term.

I like what Front Office is doing. Get It Done. GO BENGALS

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I didn't like the changing of the name at the beginning either, but you cannot argue with the results at Paycor the last couple years lol

PBS never had this much success, give me the success and Burrow over the name.
Reply/Quote
While giving up the PBS name for Paycor brings in money the team can spend, it really is not that much help with the cap, as the cap is the limit and teams are already required to spend the floor amount:

Quote:While the NFL has a salary cap, it also has a salary floor, so teams cannot hold onto money in perpetuity. Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap over a four-year period, while the NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap

They can't just add all that money to the players, they were already spending at least 90% of the cap prior to the deal. I would guess most of that Paycor money goes to stadium improvements, etc.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 03:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: While giving up the PBS name for Paycor brings in money the team can spend, it really is not that much help with the cap, as the cap is the limit and teams are already required to spend the floor amount:

They can't just add all that money to the players, they were already spending at least 90% of the cap prior to the deal. I would guess most of that Paycor money goes to stadium improvements, etc.

While the cash received in naming rights doesn't increase the Cap, it does allow them to be more creative in such things as turning salary into signing bonuses, ect; therefore, clearing cap.

I'm sure it was a big reason they went to Skyline after decades of Gold Star. Skyline has more money. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'll send them an odd cabinet and become the official odd cabinet maker of the Cincinnati Bengals! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 04:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: While the cash received in naming rights doesn't increase the Cap, it does allow them to be more creative in such things as turning salary into signing bonuses, ect; therefore, clearing cap.

I'm sure it was a big reason they went to Skyline after decades of Gold Star. Skyline has more money. 

Plus The Bengals Front Office said that keeping Burrow long term was a reason they decided to lease stadium name advertising.  Front Office said that.  No, not the only reason, but keeping Burrow long term is going to take money Bengals are not use to spending, Cap or No Cap.  Ownership would like to keep Burrow, and The Brown Family decided they can have a losing team in Paul Brown Stadium which is no tribute to Paul Browns legacy, or they can have Burrow and a winning team by leasing the stadium name advertising. 

Again, 40 Million saved in Free Agency on players to other teams and players from other teams, and Add the 10 million a year in Bengals finally leasing stadium name.   Bengals see how much top quarterback salaries are rising in NFL, and they know Burrow long term will take a lot of money.  I also think the NFL is going to have to raise the salary cap a lot the way quarterbacks salaries are going through the roof.  DeShawn Watson is not as good as his record breaking contract, and then add better quarterbacks and what they are going to want.  The NFL is going to have to raise the Salary Cap or else every team will stink trying to get under an NFL cap that is way too low.  NFL will have to accept that salaries are going up.   The Bengals owners already see it, and are making moves to pay Key Players to field a quality team, and NFL should want quality teams. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 12:10 AM)kevin Wrote: Plus The Bengals Front Office said that keeping Burrow long term was a reason they decided to lease stadium name advertising.  Front Office said that.  No, not the only reason, but keeping Burrow long term is going to take money Bengals are not use to spending, Cap or No Cap.  Ownership would like to keep Burrow, and The Brown Family decided they can have a losing team in Paul Brown Stadium which is no tribute to Paul Browns legacy, or they can have Burrow and a winning team by leasing the stadium name advertising. 

Again, 40 Million saved in Free Agency on players to other teams and players from other teams, and Add the 10 million a year in Bengals finally leasing stadium name.   Bengals see how much top quarterback salaries are rising in NFL, and they know Burrow long term will take a lot of money.  I also think the NFL is going to have to raise the salary cap a lot the way quarterbacks salaries are going through the roof.  DeShawn Watson is not as good as his record breaking contract, and then add better quarterbacks and what they are going to want.  The NFL is going to have to raise the Salary Cap or else every team will stink trying to get under an NFL cap that is way too low.  NFL will have to accept that salaries are going up.   The Bengals owners already see it, and are making moves to pay Key Players to field a quality team, and NFL should want quality teams. 

Not sure that 40M is a true number. Several players get raises this year and OBjr cash.

The cap is going up, faster than ever. That is why the salaries are raising, the agents know it, the team knows it, the league knows it.  The TV revenue is making a huge jump and gambling revenue has yet to even be counted. 

Reply/Quote
Bengals spent $191m on players in cash in 2022.
Bengals are spending $240m on players in cash in 2023 (led by $33.7m to Orlando Brown Jr) without any Burrow, Higgins, or Wilson extension.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 03:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: While giving up the PBS name for Paycor brings in money the team can spend, it really is not that much help with the cap, as the cap is the limit and teams are already required to spend the floor amount:

That money is going into an escrow account to pay Joe Burrow.  The Bengals have to put a percentage aside for this escrow when the deal is signed.  The Bengals are not jerry jones.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 12:57 PM)spazz70 Wrote: That money is going into an escrow account to pay Joe Burrow.  The Bengals have to put a percentage aside for this escrow when the deal is signed.  The Bengals are not jerry jones.

What owners nowadays other than the Bengals only have their franchise as their sole source of $$?

Personally, I feel this is what really could hold the Bengals back compared to some other franchises who have owners with multiple other sources of income to help cover more guaranteed $$. Bengals will have to find ways to get very creative with the negotiated contracts in order to help compensate for lack of up-front funding.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 02:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What owners nowadays other than the Bengals only have their franchise as their sole source of $$?

I think the whole list including the Bengals is just.... Bengals, Steelers, Raiders, Bears, and Cardinals.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 02:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think the whole list including the Bengals is just.... Bengals, Steelers, Raiders, Bears, and Cardinals.

I think there’s several more like Jerry Jones, Irsay, and probably others. But the distinction is the Browns never had other income previously. I remember having a long discussion with Herschel Walker before he was traded by the Cowboys. Early on most were skeptical of Jimmy Johnson who had no NFL experience or most of his staff and Jones either in running a team. He certainly had no loyalty to the new regime but his comment resonated with me. He said Jerry Jones is damn smart and he invested all his oil fortune into the Cowboys. It’s his livelihood. He’ll be successful.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2023, 08:28 PM)grampahol Wrote: Maybe I'll send them an odd cabinet and become the official odd cabinet maker of the Cincinnati Bengals! 

[Image: AA18Nd3Q.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 02:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think there’s several more like Jerry Jones, Irsay, and probably others. But the distinction is the Browns never had other income previously. I remember having a long discussion with Herschel Walker before he was traded by the Cowboys. Early on most were skeptical of Jimmy Johnson who had no NFL experience or most of his staff and Jones either in running a team. He certainly had no loyalty to the new regime but his comment resonated with me. He said Jerry Jones is damn smart and he invested all his oil fortune into the Cowboys. It’s his livelihood. He’ll be successful.

Jerry Jones had oil money and still has oil money, he certainly didn't put everything into the Cowboys. He is still doing it..
https://news.yahoo.com/jerry-jones-natural-gas-win-040100693.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFWiSdVVzHN4ZCSq3O5jRIFy0xQLulsa9VMtY690_hY_DO7VI1mqD8ruWVsTukeWAodHA2Kbajf6AwVinye6zymvhhf_i6zQLwenaGsCP_QoznRBw-mfqGuCPgbLw7xvmtG1rRYWNLb9C6jkxeneO3VQ798N2GlOH590zTdhxyJF
..just made $1.68b in profits from oil investments over a 4 year period of '18 to '22.

Jim Irsay I am pretty sure has an HVAC empire and sheet metal business that he inherited (along with the team).

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 03:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jerry Jones had oil money and still has oil money, he certainly didn't put everything into the Cowboys. He is still doing it..
https://news.yahoo.com/jerry-jones-natural-gas-win-040100693.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kdWNrZHVja2dvLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFWiSdVVzHN4ZCSq3O5jRIFy0xQLulsa9VMtY690_hY_DO7VI1mqD8ruWVsTukeWAodHA2Kbajf6AwVinye6zymvhhf_i6zQLwenaGsCP_QoznRBw-mfqGuCPgbLw7xvmtG1rRYWNLb9C6jkxeneO3VQ798N2GlOH590zTdhxyJF
..just made $1.68b in profits from oil investments over a 4 year period of '18 to '22.

Jim Irsay I am pretty sure has an HVAC empire and sheet metal business that he inherited (along with the team).

Originally he did Walker told me
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 12:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals spent $191m on players in cash in 2022.
Bengals are spending $240m on players in cash in 2023 (led by $33.7m to Orlando Brown Jr) without any Burrow, Higgins, or Wilson extension.

Damn that’s Orlando’s number this year?

Just peeped the contract on Spotrac and it’s such a great contract for a guy who’s gonna challenge for best LT in the game. Cap hit is manageable after this year at 16M average per year. Didn’t realize how solid that contact was. I think our plan is to pay Burrow, the o line, Chase and Tee and to just hope we draft well on D.

If that’s the plan, it’s a great plan. It’s scary but if that is the plan we absolutely NEED Murphy and Turner to hit. We just aren’t gonna have the money after we extend Wilson. He’s probably the only guy on D who is safe. I could see us letting literally everyone else on D walk.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 02:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What owners nowadays other than the Bengals only have their franchise as their sole source of $$?

Personally, I feel this is what really could hold the Bengals back compared to some other franchises who have owners with multiple other sources of income to help cover more guaranteed $$. Bengals will have to find ways to get very creative with the negotiated contracts in order to help compensate for lack of up-front funding.

Which already makes Katy Blackburn an executive league All Star. Wouldn't it be something to see the mom and pop underdog hoist that Lombardi in one of those multi billionaire tycoon's stadium. Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 10:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Which already makes Katy Blackburn an executive league All Star. Wouldn't it be something to see the mom and pop underdog hoist that Lombardi in one of those multi billionaire tycoon's stadium. Cool

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

The Bengals made the Super Bowl two seasons ago, but it might become more and more difficult signing players as expectations of guaranteed money increase for most/all positions.
Bengals also need to actually win the Super Bowl before they're anointed anything.
They are good though, and they've improved in their business side of things over the years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 10:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

The Bengals made the Super Bowl two seasons ago, but it might become more and more difficult signing players as expectations of guaranteed money increase for most/all positions.
Bengals also need to actually win the Super Bowl before they're anointed anything.
They are good though, and they've improved in their business side of things over the years.

I didn't mean to get to hyperbolic, but compared to years past, she's done a great job. It goes beyond the field of play too though. The RoH, all of the improved fan engagement (which is a lot due to her daughter of course), the stadium naming rights, the practice bubble, and overall change in organizational philosophy. That, with improved play on the field, warrants some praise in my book anyway. She's also been acclaimed league wide for the way she manages the cap. The philosophy seems to be to keep what's really good on offense within reason, and improving the line. Seems like they are planning on drafting well defensively and staying young/cheap on that side of the ball. Will it work? That remains to be seen, obviously.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 10:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Which already makes Katy Blackburn an executive league All Star. Wouldn't it be something to see the mom and pop underdog hoist that Lombardi in one of those multi billionaire tycoon's stadium. Cool

[Image: Katie%252520Blackburn%25252086t.jpg?ssl=1]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote