Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Fan Trivia (Put Your Knowledge to the Test!)

I started to type Odell Thurman for my fourth Bulldog... They were our farm system for a minute.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 06:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I guess any 4 of the 6 (are they more?) would have to be right.

I was trying to fit a question that include the pair of LB's in '05 with AJ and Geno all going to the same school.  I completely screwed the pooch by not remembering the others.

(02-04-2021, 06:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. I'd go with any 4 of the 6 to be correct. 

[Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 02:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif]

Don't be hatin'!!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2021, 11:59 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So I don't know the "I'm so handsome" reference that a couple people have mentioned with Brad Johanson.  Can someone fill me in?

I think it's just a mocking nickname that some people use. I don't know that there's any more story to it than that. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 04:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It's super boring this time of year, and it seems like many of us are just running in circles in older threads so I thought I'd try to start a trivia thread.

These questions are just going to be off of the top of my head just to keep it to where I think they're not impossible and to save me from a bunch of research. I'm going to try to word some of them in a way that isn't easily googleable (not sure if this is a word). Some of course you will be able to look up, or research but let's all try to abide by the honor system; no cheating.

Feel free to pose questions of your own.

*** NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO PLAY JUST QUOTE THE OP WITHOUT SCROLLING DOWN TO OTHER REPLIES!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) When I say Oregon State what two things come to mind?

2.) What "rootin tooting" OL did we draft out of Syracuse in the 1990's?

3.) What player missed the Superbowl in 1989 due to an off the field incident?

4.) What college did Jordan Palmer play for?

5.) Which running back broke our 1,000 yards rushing drought in the early 90's?

6.) What memorable college program was Bob Bratowski the OC for before breaking into the NFL?

7.) If I say "Marlboro" what person comes to mind?

8.) What college did Chris Henry play for?

9.) Who attemped a left-handed pass (non throwing hand) that was returned for a TD?

10.) What FA WR did we sign in the late 90's that had put up a monster year for the Redskins a couple of years prior?

11.) What player/musician on the Superbowl team lead the way for creating "Who Dey Rap"?

12.) What High School is Paul Brown associated with?

13.) Name the 4 Georgia Bulldogs we've drafted in the first 4 rounds over the last 20 years. (Hint: They're all big names)

14.) Mike Brown played QB at what college?

15.) What was the name of our old practice field?

16.) Name the Cincinnati Bearcats QB who is the definition of "what could have been" for the Bengals?

17.) Name a WR in the 90's whose last name started with Q.

18.) Jeff Blake went to what college?

19.) Who was Dave Lapham's radio partner before Dan Hoard?

20.) Name our star WR duo of the mid 90's.

1- Dennis Weathersby, Chad/TJ

2- Melvin Tuten

3- Stanley Wilson

4- UTEP

5- Harold Green

6- UNLV?

7- Smoking Sean Brewer

8- WV

9- Gus Frerotte

10- Michael Westbrooks (also caught Kordell’s Hail Mary at Colorado)

11- Mike Martin?

12- Massillon Washington

13- AJ, Pollack, Thurman, Atkins, wasn’t Boling also a 4th rounder?

14- Dartmouth

15- Spinney Field

16- Greg Cook

17- Quincy

18- East Carolina

19- Can’t remember

20- Darnay Scott and Carl Pickens
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Robert Geathers was also a Bulldog
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2021, 04:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) When I say Oregon State what two things come to mind? Chad and Housh

2.) What "rootin tooting" OL did we draft out of Syracuse in the 1990's? IDK

3.) What player missed the Superbowl in 1989 due to an off the field incident? Stanley Wilson

4.) What college did Jordan Palmer play for? UTEP (How I remember that is beyond me)

5.) Which running back broke our 1,000 yards rushing drought in the early 90's? Harold Green

6.) What memorable college program was Bob Bratowski the OC for before breaking into the NFL? IDK

7.) If I say "Marlboro" what person comes to mind? If it's 2 packs a day, it's Sean Brewer

8.) What college did Chris Henry play for? WVU?

9.) Who attemped a left-handed pass (non throwing hand) that was returned for a TD? Gus Frerotte

10.) What FA WR did we sign in the late 90's that had put up a monster year for the Redskins a couple of years prior? Westbrook. Can't remember first name anymore.

11.) What player/musician on the Superbowl team lead the way for creating "Who Dey Rap"? IDK

12.) What High School is Paul Brown associated with? IDK

13.) Name the 4 Georgia Bulldogs we've drafted in the first 4 rounds over the last 20 years. (Hint: They're all big names) AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Odell Thurman, David Pollack

14.) Mike Brown played QB at what college? Yale? I know it was Ivy League.

15.) What was the name of our old practice field? Spinney? I think? Before my time, really.

16.) Name the Cincinnati Bearcats QB who is the definition of "what could have been" for the Bengals? Greg Cook.

17.) Name a WR in the 90's whose last name started with Q. Jeff (no *****) Query.

18.) Jeff Blake went to what college? Eastern Carolina

19.) Who was Dave Lapham's radio partner before Dan Hoard? Brad Johanssen (who had a way better voice than Dan, although I like Dan personally).

20.) Name our star WR duo of the mid 90's. Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott.

Answers in bold.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 12:00 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 7.) If I say "Marlboro" what person comes to mind? If it's 2 packs a day, it's Sean Brewer

Answers in bold.

That was a funny question from Wes.

Totally forgot about our notorious player with a bad smoking habit.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
What starting SEC college QB that clocked a 4.37 40yd, and was originally drafted 21 in 1st rd as WR, was later to be signed by the Bengals before being cut pre regular season?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 11:41 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: What starting SEC college QB that clocked a 4.37 40yd, and was originally drafted 21 in 1st rd as WR, was later to be signed by the Bengals before being cut pre regular season?

Matt Jones... I remember being excited when we signed him. Worked out great.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 11:41 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: What starting SEC college QB that clocked a 4.37 40yd, and was originally drafted 21 in 1st rd as WR, was later to be signed by the Bengals before being cut pre regular season?

Matt Jones, who Fred referred to as a "proven #1 receiver".

Believe it or not, this dude kind of spurred my decision to join the old board.  Everyone was hyping him up, and as a long-time lurker I finally decided to create an account to chime in. 

No matter how many times I pointed out that there was a reason this dude was sitting on his couch the year prior, and how much I said that it's a longshot that he would be a major contributor, there were a lot of people that loved the guy. 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 11:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Matt Jones, who Fred referred to as a "proven #1 receiver".

Believe it or not, this dude kind of spurred my decision to join the old board.  Everyone was hyping him up, and as a long-time lurker I finally decided to create an account to chime in. 

No matter how many times I pointed out that there was a reason this dude was sitting on his couch the year prior, and how much I said that it's a longshot that he would be a major contributor, there were a lot of people that loved the guy. 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=7423939]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 11:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Matt Jones, who Fred referred to as a "proven #1 receiver".

That catch in the Hall of Fame game though...

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
What famous Bengals “moment” is Gary Reasons known for?
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 01:44 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: What famous Bengals “moment” is Gary Reasons known for?

Patting Shula on the head on national tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 11:50 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Matt Jones, who Fred referred to as a "proven #1 receiver".

Matt Jones was actually on his way to a 1000 yard season his 3rd or 4th year into the league before he got injured and started doing drugs instead of rehabbing.

Jacksonville knew he was a project when they drafted him, but the upside was huge.

The talent was there and it was starting to come together. The injury and his vices got the better of him. Jack del Rio still defends the pick
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 05:11 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Matt Jones was actually on his way to a 1000 yard season his 3rd or 4th year into the league before he got injured and started doing drugs instead of rehabbing.

Jacksonville knew he was a project when they drafted him, but the upside was huge.

The talent was there and it was starting to come together. The injury and his vices got the better of him. Jack del Rio still defends the pick

Didn't he have a big game against us in 05 or 06?

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 11:28 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That was a funny question from Wes.

Totally forgot about our notorious player with a bad smoking habit.

Back in the day, I used to buy the old Lindy's season preview magazine's. They mentioned Brewer's smoking habit on our draft review and it just blew me away that we'd pick a player with a smoking habit.

It was truly a "why do I root for this team" moment.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 02:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Back in the day, I used to buy the old Lindy's season preview magazine's. They mentioned Brewer's smoking habit on our draft review and it just blew me away that we'd pick a player with a smoking habit.

It was truly a "why do I root for this team" moment.

I don't even remember the guy, but smoking was pretty damn common in professional sports back during my childhood. Maybe common isn't the right word, but dude wouldn't have been alone back in the 70s and 80s.

I can't prove it, but cigarettes often go hand and in with weed and alcohol consumption. Maybe guys don't have a habit per say, but I'd wager that more than a couple will have a cigarette now and again today.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 03:17 PM)jason Wrote: I don't even remember the guy, but smoking was pretty damn common in professional sports back during my childhood. Maybe common isn't the right word, but dude wouldn't have been alone back in the 70s and 80s.

I can't prove it, but cigarettes often go hand and in with weed and alcohol consumption. Maybe guys don't have a habit per say, but I'd wager that more than a couple will have a cigarette now and again today.

Fwiw, this dude was drafted in 2001. And he had a "pack-a-day" habit according to the guy in this article.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/05/07/remember-bengals-chain-smoking-tight-end-sean-brewer/8803973/

I've seen other people claim it was multple packs a day, some sites called him "chain-smoking". Hard to tell how much the dude actually smoked but suffice to say this wasn't a situation where he would only smoke socially or when drinking type of a habit.
Reply/Quote