Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Free Agents: Who stays, who goes?
(12-27-2018, 03:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm out on Eiffert at this point because the whole idea of counting on him in any fashion just hasn't panned out. I think Uzomah can be a solid TE2 low end TE1 when healthy and with other weapons healthy. Rookie TE's tend to struggle early so having him as the stop gap could be  nice.

I think Dennard is a must resign because corners are at a premium in the league in general. I feel like he and WJ3 both have benefited the last couple weeks of playing more straight press man. I think Dennard should get a crack on the outside and Dre's money could be rolled over with little dead money.

Redmond and Hopkins should be resigned if for nothing else depth. I think Hopkins can be an average starter in this league and as Katherine points out Redmond is still really young.

I'd bring Bobby Hart back as well on a vet minimum deal as a camp body that if injuries take a toll around the league could (don't laugh) be good trade bait for a late round pick.

You're insane mang.

No way I'd keep Hart near this team even as a camp body.

That guy looks as lost as a wide eyed rookie UFA from some podunk college.

Air is literally a better blocker.

Hopkins should stay if anything for a backup center.

Redmond is a dumbass.  If we were even sniffing a playoff seed I'd be blowing a fuse about his penalties.

The only way I'd keep Dennard is if he's cheap.

Eifert the same. Cheap and hope you get his production for a couple of games at least.  He helped this team more than hurt it this year.  Way too many other factors caused this season to go down the tubes to pin it on his injury.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
UZ should be a no brainer but who knows what kind of money he's looking for.

Kroft. Depends on the money too.

Both aren't world beaters but decent TEs.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 04:37 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You're insane mang.

No way I'd keep Hart near this team even as a camp body.

That guy looks as lost as a wide eyed rookie UFA from some podunk college.

Air is literally a better blocker.

Hopkins should stay if anything for a backup center.

Redmond is a dumbass.  If we were even sniffing a playoff seed I'd be blowing a fuse about his penalies.

The only way I'd keep Dennard.is if he's cheap.

Eifert the same. Cheap and hope you get his production for a couple of games at least.  He helped this team more than hurt it this year.  Way too many other factors caused this season to go down the tubes to pin it on his injury.

Not insane just a realist. Hart as a camp body who could be a back up depending on injury hurts nothing. He had servicable games, but I feel like people around here far over estimate what back ups look like in the NFL in general. Same goes for Redmond, he could be a good back up serviceable spot starter no reason to move on with him being cheap most likely. 

Dennard will be treated as a top 50 FA this off season because Corner is a premium. I am okay paying him somewhere in the 8 Million a season range because that's what an average corner in the NFL makes.

Eiffert has been snake bitten but I think at this point any deal is a waste of time and hope. You say he helped the team more than he hurt it this year, but the rash of injuries at TE hurt this team badly this year. We were going to be a TE heavy team this year with a lot of multiple TE sets as we saw to start the year. Once they all got hurt that went out the window really effecting what our offense was supposed to be this year. Rostering a TE who you can almost guarantee will be hurt eventually is setting yourself up for failure. I think Uzomah has a lot of upside as he has still only played the position a couple years. He was basically a WR in college so the whole inline blocking thing is coming along slowly but surely. 
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 02:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Kat Terrell did a nice write-up about the decisions the Bengals will have to make on there upcoming free agents -
http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/31030

How about you? Which players would you keep? Which would you let walk?

TE Tyler Eifert
TE CJ Uzomah
TE Tyler Kroft
T Cedric Ogbuehi
T Jake Fisher
T Bobby Hart
T Andre Smith
QB Tom Savage
DE Michael Johnson
DE Kasim Edebali
LB Preston Brown
LB Vinny Rey
CB Darqueze Dennard

TE Matt Lengel (RFA)
DT Adolphus Washington (RFA)
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It sure does promise to be an interesting off season. I'd try to keep:

Dennard, Kroft, A Smith, A Washington, Eifert and Uzomah.

I'd resign Dennard because I don't want to spend a high pick on a corner right now as we have other, more pressing needs and don't need to create an artificial need.

I'd resign Smith because I want a vet backup at OT.

I'd resign Uzomah and Kroft because I don't want to start over with all new TEs. Eifert on the right, team friendly contract.

Washington was ok and provides depth. Would need to earn a roster spot in camp and will be cheap.

I'd cut/retire Burfict and eat the $1.8M in dead money next year.

I'd exercise the team's 5th year option on Willie Jackson.

I'd put my attention on extending AJ Green. I want to see him retire a Bengal and enter the HoF as a Bengal.

I'd try to trade Ross for a 1st or 2nd round pick. I don't want to cut him, I really want the draft pick more than I want Ross' catch percentage. Need a guy who moves the chains, not just a guy who can follow the back of the end zone as his only consistent route. But, I'd trade him to an NFC team.

I'd also put Dre Kirkpatrick on the block. Again I want a draft pick more than Kirkpatrick. Cutting him would cost $4.2M in dead money.

This would get me out of three contracts I don't like and give me some extra picks to draft replacements for two of them. Each year there are WRs draft who have an immediate impact and I want one of those.

With my draft picks I'd want a RT, a RG, a fast LB, another fast LB and a prospect at LT, a WR or two who can run routes and catches the ball. We've just been picking up the wrong WRs the last few years, so I'd want to fix that this off season.

EDIT: I'd also entertain the idea of drafting a Center and moving Price to RG, where he excelled in college, if the option presented itself in the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 03:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why is everyone keeping Smith? I only keep him if its at G and even then, I don't think we need a G.

He is better than Hart, that is why.

Bet if we re-signed him instead we would of been better this year.

(12-27-2018, 04:36 PM)pally Wrote: I would also bring back Preston Brown.  He severely sprained his ankle in the first quarter of game 1.  After missing multiple games he only played in 5 1/2 more before injuring his knee in part because the ankle was still messed up.  I would be willing to give him another year as long as we bring in real competition for the spots

Good point, i would bring back Preston too.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 05:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He is better than Hart, that is why.

Bet if we re-signed him instead we would of been better this year.

Good point, i would bring back Preston too.

Keep Smith if the price is right, and I'd say it will be as a backup/insurance.
Reply/Quote
I'm astonished nobody wants to keep Cedric Ogbuehi since he's so athletic.  LMAO
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don't see any I would consider over paying.

Dennard - 3 million or let him leave
Uzomah - 2 million or let him leave
Eifert - 3 million with 2 million of it in incentives or let him leave
Brown - 1.5 million or bye
Kroft - 1.3 million or later
MJ - 2 million (not guaranteed unless on active roster week 1) or let him go

I think our money could be spent wisely upgrading in the free agent market and through the draft
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 04:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not insane just a realist. Hart as a camp body who could be a back up depending on injury hurts nothing. He had servicable games, but I feel like people around here far over estimate what back ups look like in the NFL in general. Same goes for Redmond, he could be a good back up serviceable spot starter no reason to move on with him being cheap most likely. 

Dennard will be treated as a top 50 FA this off season because Corner is a premium. I am okay paying him somewhere in the 8 Million a season range because that's what an average corner in the NFL makes.

Eiffert has been snake bitten but I think at this point any deal is a waste of time and hope. You say he helped the team more than he hurt it this year, but the rash of injuries at TE hurt this team badly this year. We were going to be a TE heavy team this year with a lot of multiple TE sets as we saw to start the year. Once they all got hurt that went out the window really effecting what our offense was supposed to be this year. Rostering a TE who you can almost guarantee will be hurt eventually is setting yourself up for failure. I think Uzomah has a lot of upside as he has still only played the position a couple years. He was basically a WR in college so the whole inline blocking thing is coming along slowly but surely. 

Not saying it's the gospel, but Dennard was PFF's #57 ranked CB.  The 57th highest paid CB made $2.5 mil last year.

You should be able to get a comparable player for a lot cheaper or an upgrade for that same $8 mil.
Reply/Quote
Is it sad idc if any of them stay
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Amazed so many people want Dennard. He has 15 pdef and 3 int in 5 years.

Dennard has to have the worst ball skills and instincts at CB in the league. He's basically a let-them-catch-then-tackle CB. Might be worth a look as a backup strong safety if he put on 10lbs of muscle, but is a waste of a spot at CB.

3 first round CBs as your starters, combined for 0 INT this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 06:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Amazed so many people want Dennard. He has 15 pdef and 3 int in 5 years.

Dennard has to have the worst ball skills and instincts at CB in the league. He's basically a let-them-catch-then-tackle CB. Might be worth a look as a backup strong safety if he put on 10lbs of muscle, but is a waste of a spot at CB.

I know.  I guess some people actually think Dennard is good?

He's not.  He's also injured often.

I know the answer is probably to let them both go...  but which would you rather have?

A high level TE that can make plays, win a few games, that's often injured but you can get cheap or a DB that has done absolutely squat who you might have to pay that also gets injured a lot?

It's just maddening that we have 3 first round CBs and can't get any interceptions.

People will probably blame it on LBers because that's the target for problems on this team.

Turning blind eyes to our lack of front line pressure and DBs that can't make plays or hang onto passes thrown right to them.

Just some sad stuff right there.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 03:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's actually no "must sign" on the list. But if I were to assign a priority; I'd go after DD if the price is right and the look at Tyler Kroft. The rest...meh

THIS.  There are no MUST SIGN players on the list.  So send a loud and strong message to the others on this Last Place Bungles.   Don't sign any of them.  The message being they can all be replaced.  It would also give Bengals over 30 million for other players. They will need that if they get a new head coach.  A new head coach can start to build his own system with the help of an extra 30 million for players. 

Last Place, Blow It Up. Last Place, Blow It Up. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 08:32 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I know.  I guess some people actually think Dennard is good?

I know the answer is probably to let them both go...  but which would you rather have?

A high level TE that can make plays, win, a few games, that's often injured but you can get cheap or a DB that has done absolutely squat who you might have to pay that also gets injured a lot?

It's just maddening that we have 3 first round CBs and can't get any interceptions.

People will probably blame it on LBers because that's the target for problems on this team.

Turning blind eyes to our lack of front line pressure and DBs that can't make plays or hang onto passes thrown right to them.

Thing with Dennard that kills him for me is that he's been a disaster whenever he's had to line up outside.  How much is an average slot CB worth?  

I just see reupping Dennard as Dre 2.0.  People will be screaming for him to be cut in a year.  Use the money on the OL or DL.  There's a ton of quality DL available in FA.  
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 08:32 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I know.  I guess some people actually think Dennard is good?

A high level TE that can make plays, win, a few games, that's often injured but you can get cheap or a DB that has done absolutely squat who you might have to pay that also gets injured a lot?

I'll pass on Dennard, I don't get why peeps on here want him back ? He isn't that good.
Reply/Quote
TE Tyler Eifert- Bye, thanks for the memories
TE CJ Uzomah- Vet minimum offer
TE Tyler Kroft- Modest offer, he's been good when healthy
T Cedric Ogbuehi- See ya!
T Jake Fisher- See ya!
T Bobby Hart- Smell ya later!
T Andre Smith- Modest offer
QB Tom Savage- Who?
DE Michael Johnson- Bye, thanks for the memories
DE Kasim Edebali- Who?
LB Preston Brown- Modest offer
LB Vinny Rey- Vet minimum offer, if he only had the ass to back up his instincts...
CB Darqueze Dennard- Modest offer

TE Matt Lengel (RFA)- Modest offer, at least for camp
DT Adolphus Washington (RFA)- Modest offer, he might be good to keep around in case Glassgow is slow to return.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 06:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Amazed so many people want Dennard. He has 15 pdef and 3 int in 5 years.

A high level TE that can make plays, win a few games, that's often injured but you can get cheap or a DB that has done absolutely squat who you might have to pay that also gets injured a lot?

(12-27-2018, 09:02 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'll pass on Dennard, I don't get why peeps on here want him back ? He isn't that good.

Well Dennard can actually tackle which is better than most of our Defense lol

And he has finally got somewhat healthy and it is kind of hard to judge with how bad all the CB's were this year.

Maybe it is coaching and just needing to get on the juggs machine. Dennard had a decent year last season.

Wasn't terrible anyways. I am just saying to bring him back for a modest price.
Reply/Quote
Kroft and Uzomah.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 05:10 PM)BengalCh Wrote: I'd put my attention on extending AJ Green. I want to see him retire a Bengal and enter the HoF as a Bengal

I'd agree if they can resign AJ without having to give him a ton of upfront money. His foot problems leave a big question mark for his future. The team is in shambles with needs all over the place. 
Reply/Quote