Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Free Agents: Who stays, who goes?
(12-27-2018, 11:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well Dennard can actually tackle which is better than most of our Defense lol

And he has finally got somewhat healthy and it is kind of hard to judge with how bad all the CB's were this year.

Maybe it is coaching and just needing to get on the juggs machine. Dennard had a decent year last season.

Wasn't terrible anyways. I am just saying to bring him back for a modest price.

85 tackles vs 6 Pdef in 2017.

That is tied for 1st in tackles by a CB in the league that year (not really a good thing) and tied for 79th most Pdef by a CB.

If he had much less tackles, the Pdef would be less concerning because then maybe he just wasn't being thrown at (ala Revis 2010), but a CB isn't supposed to have that many tackles and have his hands on the ball that little.

Can't have an entire CB group of people with stone hands. Three first round pick CBs, and they have 0 INT this year, and 4 INT the year before. That's not good. Really really not good.

(12-27-2018, 11:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kroft and Uzomah.

I worry that keeping both means not getting a real #1 TE. I think either could be an okay-ish #2, but the Bengals O will be in trouble if either of them are pushed into the #1 TE role again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure we can afford to grab a #1 TE in the draft. We need so much help at LB and OL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 85 tackles vs 6 Pdef in 2017.

That is tied for 1st in tackles by a CB in the league that year (not really a good thing) and tied for 79th most Pdef by a CB.

If he had much less tackles, the Pdef would be less concerning because then maybe he just wasn't being thrown at (ala Revis 2010), but a CB isn't supposed to have that many tackles and have his hands on the ball that little.

Can't have an entire CB group of people with stone hands. Three first round pick CBs, and they have 0 INT this year, and 4 INT the year before. That's not good. Really really not good.

I worry that keeping both means not getting a real #1 TE. I think either could be an okay-ish #2, but the Bengals O will be in trouble if either of them are pushed into the #1 TE role again.

I guess you are correct about Dennard, thanks for the stats TLL.

That many tackles and not getting many interceptions is not a good thing at all.

Would be fine letting the guy go after seeing this, thought he played better.

To the TE thought, it is a really deep draft for TE's. Think we can pick up one better than Kroft or Uzi in the 3rd or later.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I guess you are correct about Dennard, thanks for the stats TLL.

That many tackles and not getting many interceptions is not a good thing at all.

Would be fine letting the guy go after seeing this, thought he played better.

To the TE thought, it is a really deep draft for TE's. Think we can pick up one better than Kroft or Uzi in the 3rd or later.

I believe Dennards football awareness just isn't very good. His instincts for when the ball is in the air are just not there. In short he's not very good.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 85 tackles vs 6 Pdef in 2017.

Sometimes I think people forget how bad our defense was last year.

This season kind of dwarfed it so I guess they get a pass.

The third down conversion rate was atrocious.

My bet would be why Dennard had so many of those tackles.

Do people really forget how far our DBs were playing off their receivers(and still do for that matter this season)?

Well you could blame that on scheme which is true but damn it's hard to say any of these guys are good.

WJ III's catch rate vs target ratio sure looked promising last year though.

He sure took a step back from our expectations of possible all-pro label.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I worry that keeping both means not getting a real #1 TE. I think either could be an okay-ish #2, but the Bengals O will be in trouble if either of them are pushed into the #1 TE role again.

I think Uzomah would make an OK #1 TE (certainly on the Bengals who rarely use the TE even when Eifert was healthy).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 02:28 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Kat Terrell did a nice write-up about the decisions the Bengals will have to make on there upcoming free agents -
http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/31030

How about you? Which players would you keep? Which would you let walk?

TE Tyler Eifert
TE CJ Uzomah
TE Tyler Kroft
T Cedric Ogbuehi
T Jake Fisher
T Bobby Hart
T Andre Smith
QB Tom Savage
DE Michael Johnson
DE Kasim Edebali
LB Preston Brown
LB Vinny Rey
CB Darqueze Dennard

TE Matt Lengel (RFA)
DT Adolphus Washington (RFA)

Of that list, I would only keep (in order of importance):  Dennard, Brown, Uzo, and maybe Kroft.  I would love to give Eifert another shot, but I don't know if that is realistic or just sentiment.  The rest go bye-bye.  
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not sure we can afford to grab a #1 TE in the draft. We need so much help at LB and OL.

Absolutely.  I think Uzo, Kroft, and Shreck can hold this position group just fine.  Both guys shined when given a chance.  
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 11:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not sure we can afford to grab a #1 TE in the draft. We need so much help at LB and OL.

Agree 100%.  Unless they're filling needs with established free agents, then they'll need those early picks to stock OL and LB.  They need about 3 of each, so even without drafting a TE, they can barely cover those positions. That's not even mentioning the need for a legit DT and restocking the cornerback group. Outside of the offensive skill guys and DL, we're looking a a major roster rebuild.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 06:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't see any I would consider over paying.

Dennard - 3 million or let him leave
Uzomah - 2 million or let him leave
Eifert - 3 million with 2 million of it in incentives or let him leave
Brown - 1.5 million or bye
Kroft - 1.3 million or later
MJ - 2 million (not guaranteed unless on active roster week 1) or let him go

I think our money could be spent wisely upgrading in the free agent market and through the draft

Dennard will get $7m minimum from someone. 
Uzomah and Kroft will get $3m minimum from someone. 
Brown would get about $2-3m minimum.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: TE Tyler Eifert- Bye, thanks for the memories
TE CJ Uzomah- Vet minimum offer
TE Tyler Kroft- Modest offer, he's been good when healthy
T Cedric Ogbuehi- See ya!
T Jake Fisher- See ya!
T Bobby Hart- Smell ya later!
T Andre Smith- Modest offer
QB Tom Savage- Who?
DE Michael Johnson- Bye, thanks for the memories
DE Kasim Edebali- Who?
LB Preston Brown- Modest offer
LB Vinny Rey- Vet minimum offer, if he only had the ass to back up his instincts...
CB Darqueze Dennard- Modest offer

TE Matt Lengel (RFA)- Modest offer, at least for camp
DT Adolphus Washington (RFA)- Modest offer, he might be good to keep around in case Glassgow is slow to return.

Pretty much this. Except I would offer Eifert something, I'd hate to see him leave.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 12:21 PM)samhain Wrote: Agree 100%.  Unless they're filling needs with established free agents, then they'll need those early picks to stock OL and LB.  They need about 3 of each, so even without drafting a TE, they can barely cover those positions.  That's not even mentioning the need for a legit DT and restocking the cornerback group.  Outside of the offensive skill guys and DL, we're looking a a major roster rebuild.

There are some good TE's to be had in the 2nd-3rd rounds. Irv Smith Jr, Albert Okwuegbunam, Noah Fant, Kaden Smith, etc. 
Reply/Quote
The eifert love is ridiculous. I like the guy too but why hold a roster spot for this guy at this point? That’s stupid.

Everyone on that list can be allowed to move on other than maybe Kroft.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 12:42 PM)motoarch Wrote: The eifert love is ridiculous. I like the guy too but why hold a roster spot for this guy at this point? That’s stupid.

Everyone on that list can be allowed to move on other than maybe Kroft.

Uzomah does nothing but make plays when called upon. We should keep him.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 12:42 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: There are some good TE's to be had in the 2nd-3rd rounds. Irv Smith Jr, Albert Okwuegbunam, Noah Fant, Kaden Smith, etc. 

Like the TE from Memphis, Magnifico!!! How can lose with a name like that??
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 12:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Uzomah does nothing but make plays when called upon. We should keep him.

Yeah he’s been pretty good when given a chance. I wouldn’t mind holding on to him. Shouldn’t cost much either.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2018, 02:32 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Eifert
Uzomah
Washington
Dennard
stay...

everybody else is gone

I think we need to move on from Eifert. He's played over 8 games in a season something like twice in 6 years.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 12:42 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: There are some good TE's to be had in the 2nd-3rd rounds. Irv Smith Jr, Albert Okwuegbunam, Noah Fant, Kaden Smith, etc. 

Yes, very deep, i like that TE on the Bearcats too.

(12-28-2018, 12:52 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Like the TE from Memphis, Magnifico!!! How can lose with a name like that??

I liked what i saw from Magnifico when i watched him play, seemed to of had solid hands and ran decent routes.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 11:02 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I think Uzomah would make an OK #1 TE (certainly on the Bengals who rarely use the TE even when Eifert was healthy).

I don't see it as far as Uzomah being a #1. I don't trust his hands or his playmaking ability.

As for the Bengals rarely using the TE, the Bengals will use a TE if they have a good one. Eifert was just an elite redzone target. He wasn't elite in the other 80 yards of the field. Kroft and Uzomah have only put up numbers the same way Sanu did when AJ Green went down that one year, by force feeding due to lack of other better options.

Gresham caught 172 passes in his first three seasons as a Bengal. Gronkowski caught 187 passes in his first three seasons as a Patriot. Now Gresham didn't have Gronkowski ability, and he sure didn't have Tom Brady throwing him the ball, but to say that the Bengals don't use the TE when they have a healthy and good option just isn't true.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2018, 07:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't see it as far as Uzomah being a #1. I don't trust his hands or his playmaking ability.

As for the Bengals rarely using the TE, the Bengals will use a TE if they have a good one. Eifert was just an elite redzone target. He wasn't elite in the other 80 yards of the field. Kroft and Uzomah have only put up numbers the same way Sanu did when AJ Green went down that one year, by force feeding due to lack of other better options.

Gresham caught 172 passes in his first three seasons as a Bengal. Gronkowski caught 187 passes in his first three seasons as a Patriot. Now Gresham didn't have Gronkowski ability, and he sure didn't have Tom Brady throwing him the ball, but to say that the Bengals don't use the TE when they have a healthy and good option just isn't true.

Yeah, i think we have to get a talented one for Hayes to work with though if he is back.

I don't find him to be that great of a TE coach. Needs all the help he can get, it is a deep draft, hope we get one.
Reply/Quote