Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Front Office
(02-25-2023, 03:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Staying smart means not expecting La'el Collins to be healthy by the time the season starts. Add at least 2 OT's, one in FA and one 
in the draft and we will stay smart. Ignoring this will be stupid beyond belief.

They do need to be proactive there.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
to me the O-line needs help but not nearly as much as before.

Karras, Cappa, Carman, Jonah, should all be serviceable enough. Think I would leave Carman at LT and move Jonah.

Add one good or great player to these 4 in draft or FA and it would be very solid with Volson and Collins for backup depth.

Hope they somehow add that player in FA to allow them to draft BPA out of the gate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 07:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: to me the O-line needs help but not nearly as much as before.

Karras, Cappa, Carman, Jonah, should all be serviceable enough. Think I would leave Carman at LT and move Jonah.

Add one good or great player to these 4 in draft or FA and it would be very solid with Volson and Collins for backup depth.

Hope they somehow add that player in FA to allow them to draft BPA out of the gate.

They are rolling with Volson
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 07:42 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are rolling with Volson

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Much depends on how the off season plays out of course.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 08:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wouldn't be so sure about that. Much depends on how the off season plays out of course.

They are rolling with Volson.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 09:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are rolling with Volson.

Anything can happen
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 09:30 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Anything can happen

But it’s not.

Reply/Quote

They're probably going with Volson, but I don't think anything is set in stone this early. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 10:02 PM)Go Cards Wrote: They're probably going with Volson, but I don't think anything is set in stone this early. 

I suppose they could change their mind.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 10:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I suppose they could change their mind.

Am fine with rolling with Volson more so than I am with rolling with the paper mâché of a blocker in Mixon and his cap consuming contract.  RB's making that kind of Jack have to produce big time or they're only hurting the team. RB's can be had for cheap with much fresher legs and certainly they couldn't block any worse than him.  

You can get by in college with a RB that can't block and maybe in the NFL if you're a predominantly run orientated team. Yet the Bengals are mostly a passing team and that's not changing as long as Burrow and those 3 WR's are around and need a RB who can run when asked, but be able to pick up the blitz mostly to buy extra time. 

Cut Mixon and buy an OL with that money would be my solution and then go draft a new partner for Perine, believe this may get the Bengals over the hump. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 07:42 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They are rolling with Volson

Well if they'd made this decision before the NFL draft then they're not very good at football management. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 11:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well if they'd made this decision before the NFL draft then they're not very good at football management. 

They’ve assessed their needs. Doesn’t mean its 100% ruled out. Of course not. I’d imagine they will address the tackle spot. Maybe both but that I don’t know. They aren’t going to get 2 new free agents for the line. I’d be shocked. They really want to keep Tee. The offense w/ the OL won 10 straight games and several w/o 3 starters. . They dominated the Bills. The Chiefs DL worked them and Philly over for that matter. They are trying to keep the team together.

Reply/Quote
I wonder if the front office knows Zac is moonlighting as a meteorologist with the national weather service..Yup, I heard it on NPR just yesterday Zac talking about the impending blizzard in LA county..Might be a different Zac and might even spell it Zack..He might be disguising his voice..I guess head coaching in the NFL doesn't pay as well as we're lead to believe..    Sooo many unanswered questions now.. 
Holy CRAP! ZAC ALSO WORKS FOR Grizzly Tools... There's a conspiracy afoot.. There may be a remote possibility there's more than one Zac!  The Bengals have cloned Zac and pimped him out to pay for Joes contract extension!   These are dark days my friends when nobody knows what evil lurks in the hearts of NFL billionaire ownership.. Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Gio Bernard has been lightly used by the Bucs and is now a UFA and would likely take league minimum. If he's still got something left in the tank, I would love to have him back as 3rd down back as change up to a bruiser in Perine. Accomplished backfield blocker and receiver. Knows us and has always been a fan favorite.
I would at least kick his tires.
Reply/Quote

Probably. But if Schmitz, Avila, or Wypler are staring them in the face in Rd2/Rd3, I think that could change. 

In my view, the OL breaks down like this:  

OT: 3 guys who are acceptable but nothing more. Williams, Collins, and Carman. 2 of whom are injury prone & overpaid vets. Carman could get better, but seems more comfortable at LT than anywhere else. The other two are only gonna get better if health was the problem. 1 guy who is generally poor but borderline serviceable with help vs non-elite guys (Adeniji). And 1 guy who has had two years to develop and shown nothing (Smith). 

OG. 1 guy who is good but not great (Cappa). One guy who was thoroughly 'meh' but is a rookie 4th rounder and could get better (Volson). With Carman at OT and Karras starting at C, there is zero OG depth at the moment with Scharping gone, unless more looks of Adeniji/Carman is gonna pay off (not). Hill can theoretically play G, but is totally unproven at C. 

C: 1 guy who is slightly above average but might be better at G (Karras). And 1 guy who is totally unproven (Hill). 

OL injuries have cost us the last two Lombardi's in my view. Even if you think a combination of Cappa, Karras, Volson, Collins, Williams, and Carman is good enough to win, our depth is crap. Adeniji, Hill, and Smith. 

Furthermore, Collins is hurt and may not be ready to start the year. Both he and Williams make over $20 mil between them. Neither seems like a long term solution at OT. With our impending cap crunch, we need to find LT/RT solutions soon (this year or next). 

My ideal offseason would be keeping the D intact (Bell & Pratt back) and using at least 5 picks on O (2 or 3 OL, 1-2 TE, 1-2 WR). Now if we can score a FA for good value that frees up some of those needs, fine. 
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2023, 03:40 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Probably. But if Schmitz, Avila, or Wypler are staring them in the face in Rd2/Rd3, I think that could change. 

In my view, the OL breaks down like this:  

OT: 3 guys who are acceptable but nothing more. Williams, Collins, and Carman. 2 of whom are injury prone & overpaid vets. Carman could get better, but seems more comfortable at LT than anywhere else. The other two are only gonna get better if health was the problem. 1 guy who is generally poor but borderline serviceable with help vs non-elite guys (Adeniji). And 1 guy who has had two years to develop and shown nothing (Smith). 

OG. 1 guy who is good but not great (Cappa). One guy who was thoroughly 'meh' but is a rookie 4th rounder and could get better (Volson). With Carman at OT and Karras starting at C, there is zero OG depth at the moment with Scharping gone, unless more looks of Adeniji/Carman is gonna pay off (not). Hill can theoretically play G, but is totally unproven at C. 

C: 1 guy who is slightly above average but might be better at G (Karras). And 1 guy who is totally unproven (Hill). 

OL injuries have cost us the last two Lombardi's in my view. Even if you think a combination of Cappa, Karras, Volson, Collins, Williams, and Carman is good enough to win, our depth is crap. Adeniji, Hill, and Smith. 

Furthermore, Collins is hurt and may not be ready to start the year. Both he and Williams make over $20 mil between them. Neither seems like a long term solution at OT. With our impending cap crunch, we need to find LT/RT solutions soon (this year or next). 

My ideal offseason would be keeping the D intact (Bell & Pratt back) and using at least 5 picks on O (2 or 3 OL, 1-2 TE, 1-2 WR). Now if we can score a FA for good value that frees up some of those needs, fine. 

I don't start many threads but this post saved me from doing so.  This is a solid breakdown of assessing what we have.  We need to consider each position case by case, I'm tired of takes like Volson being locked in at LG.  Financially he slots in as a much needed cheap young starter, but his name isn't in pen.

Because of the issues at tackle and the fact that we have ONE near pro bowl level guy total on the line in Cappa.  You'd like to have at least 2. We thought Jonah was that guy and he's locked into a dogfight to even start and possibly immovable due to the contract and injury.  Now Collins is questionable, and the smoothest move is adding a cut vet, FA or traded RT as that 2nd "good" OL or even just an average one long term.  Those get pricey, so if the right solid vet LG wants to play for Cincy you best believe I'm not turning him away because I want to maximize Volmer.  It's not about Volmer but the line.  Odds are he starts, but even vs the sake of chemistry we can't be too picky with OL help this offseasons.

My guess is they solid RTs get overpaid, Cincy focuses most of their money on 2024 FAs, but they end up with a versatile fringe starter like maybe Flemming or a cut vet and draft a T at some point.  Point is, be ready for any improvement, no matter what is ideal. 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 10:41 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Am fine with rolling with Volson more so than I am with rolling with the paper mâché of a blocker in Mixon and his cap consuming contract.  RB's making that kind of Jack have to produce big time or they're only hurting the team. RB's can be had for cheap with much fresher legs and certainly they couldn't block any worse than him.  

You can get by in college with a RB that can't block and maybe in the NFL if you're a predominantly run orientated team. Yet the Bengals are mostly a passing team and that's not changing as long as Burrow and those 3 WR's are around and need a RB who can run when asked, but be able to pick up the blitz mostly to buy extra time. 

Cut Mixon and buy an OL with that money would be my solution and then go draft a new partner for Perine, believe this may get the Bengals over the hump. 

Your solution is the solution Go Cards, well said. ThumbsUp

(02-26-2023, 09:39 AM)grampahol Wrote: I wonder if the front office knows Zac is moonlighting as a meteorologist with the national weather service..Yup, I heard it on NPR just yesterday Zac talking about the impending blizzard in LA county..Might be a different Zac and might even spell it Zack..He might be disguising his voice..I guess head coaching in the NFL doesn't pay as well as we're lead to believe..    Sooo many unanswered questions now.. 
Holy CRAP! ZAC ALSO WORKS FOR Grizzly Tools... There's a conspiracy afoot.. There may be a remote possibility there's more than one Zac!  The Bengals have cloned Zac and pimped him out to pay for Joes contract extension!   These are dark days my friends when nobody knows what evil lurks in the hearts of NFL billionaire ownership.. Shocked

Classic Gramps rant lmao!!! Hilarious

(02-26-2023, 02:27 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: Gio Bernard has been lightly used by the Bucs and is now a UFA and would likely take league minimum.  If he's still got something left in the tank,  I would love to have him back as 3rd down back as change up to a bruiser in Perine.  Accomplished backfield blocker and receiver. Knows us and has always been a fan favorite.  

Love Gio, not against it. Pass protecting RB's are what we need. Mixon doesn't fit that bill.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2023, 02:27 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: Gio Bernard has been lightly used by the Bucs and is now a UFA and would likely take league minimum.  If he's still got something left in the tank,  I would love to have him back as 3rd down back as change up to a bruiser in Perine.  Accomplished backfield blocker and receiver. Knows us and has always been a fan favorite.  

Tires would probably fall off if you kick them. Lol. He can't stay healthy anymore, sadly, and now he'll be 32. 

Perine isn't much of a bruiser either. 1.7 yards per rush after contact, 19 rushes per broken tackle. Neither are anything to write home about, let alone for a 240lb guy.

Bengals need to do a full refresh of their RB room, just wipe the slate clean and start over.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Quote:Classic Gramps rant lmao!!! 
While you guys are busy trying to pretend the billionaire Brown family are just rummaging through these posts just trying to figure out how to win the super bowl I'm busy concocting real life conspiracy theories you can spread around the internet for fun and profit.. At least I'm contributing to society in my own marginal strange way.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2023, 04:57 PM)phil413 Wrote: I don't start many threads but this post saved me from doing so.  This is a solid breakdown of assessing what we have.  We need to consider each position case by case, I'm tired of takes like Volson being locked in at LG.  Financially he slots in as a much needed cheap young starter, but his name isn't in pen.

Because of the issues at tackle and the fact that we have ONE near pro bowl level guy total on the line in Cappa.  You'd like to have at least 2. We thought Jonah was that guy and he's locked into a dogfight to even start and possibly immovable due to the contract and injury.  Now Collins is questionable, and the smoothest move is adding a cut vet, FA or traded RT as that 2nd "good" OL or even just an average one long term.  Those get pricey, so if the right solid vet LG wants to play for Cincy you best believe I'm not turning him away because I want to maximize Volmer.  It's not about Volmer but the line.  Odds are he starts, but even vs the sake of chemistry we can't be too picky with OL help this offseasons.

My guess is they solid RTs get overpaid, Cincy focuses most of their money on 2024 FAs, but they end up with a versatile fringe starter like maybe Flemming or a cut vet and draft a T at some point.  Point is, be ready for any improvement, no matter what is ideal. 

The OL after an awful start ( provably because there were 4 new starters including a rookie) rose to #15 by PFF. It held Chris Jones to his 5th worst game with only 2 hurries and no sacks their first game. And the entire line gave up only 5 hurries. Against Buffalo it played very well with only 12 hurries. It’s like some of you blocked out how well they were playing in our 10 game win streak. And yes Volson will be our LG come September.

Reply/Quote