Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals GM
(11-30-2018, 12:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In what way, and in what games has Glenn been a "tremendous" player for the Bengals?  Even early on in the year, when they were winning, he was looking average at best.  People just didn't make such an issue of him, as the Offense was doing well.  For the Bengals to have made the decision to accept the contract for the 8th highest paid Tackle in the league, I would have expected much more from Cordy Glenn, than for him to only look average in good games.

I think we should cut him loose after this year. If I remember correctly, he was signed to a 1yr deal, not 100% sure. If the decision was mine to bring him here in the first place I would have said yes, but he has not proved himself and we should just move on. We are a stain in the bottom of the bowl anyway and now would be a perfect time to swipe everything off the table and start over.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Honestly it has very little to do with having a GM, it has everything to do with the team's refusal to go out and fill all their needs in the offseason.

A GM wouldn't change the fact that the team won't do the following (using this year as an example)

1. Sign a competent/good RT in free agency.
2. Sign a competent/good RG in free agency.

Every year there are clear holes on the team that they refuse to address. The year before it was LT, C, RG.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we should cut him loose after this year. If I remember correctly, he was signed to a 1yr deal, not 100% sure. If the decision was mine to bring him here in the first place I would have said yes, but he has not proved himself and we should just move on. We are a stain in the bottom of the bowl anyway and now would be a perfect time to swipe everything off the table and start over.

I thought he had at least 2 years left on his deal.

I don't think you can even think about cutting him loose with the way the Bengals have drafted at T the last few years.  Way too big of a risk.
Reply/Quote
I remember when we brought Hart in in free agency and everyone thought he was just camp fodder.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 02:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we should cut him loose after this year. If I remember correctly, he was signed to a 1yr deal, not 100% sure. If the decision was mine to bring him here in the first place I would have said yes, but he has not proved himself and we should just move on. We are a stain in the bottom of the bowl anyway and now would be a perfect time to swipe everything off the table and start over.

It's basically impossible to cut Glenn after this year.  Hart, Og, and Fisher are all UFA's.  No way we can find 4 T's.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 03:12 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Honestly it has very little to do with having a GM, it has everything to do with the team's refusal to go out and fill all their needs in the offseason.

A GM wouldn't change the fact that the team won't do the following (using this year as an example)

1.  Sign a competent/good RT in free agency.
2.  Sign a competent/good RG in free agency.

Every year there are clear holes on the team that they refuse to address.  The year before it was LT, C, RG.

Exactly !

People still keep beating the Katie, Marvin, and Duke are calling the shots drum. NO THEY'RE NOT Yes they're sitting in the office on the computer doing the work, talking to our scout or two, how many we have ?

Mike Brown is still the guy writing the checks and making the decisions, don't fool yourself. He has bent maybe 10% ? But he's still the one calling the shots ! The brain trust most likely makes suggestions but Mikey is still running it.

You could hire five guys call them President, Vice President, GM, Asst. GM, Chief cook and bottle washer or whatever title you want and as long as MB is still signing the checks he's going to run it just like he always has.

He's bent ever so slightly since 2010 but nowhere near enough to operate like a real NFL team. And he's not going to !
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2018, 11:32 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Is this the year Mike Brown realizes he needs a GM from a successful franchise to help run the team? We can only dream. BTW please don't say move Marvin up to GM he has already reached his level of incompetence.

MB never will, but if Katie and Troy are having more control they might.

This is our only hope, have to have someone at the top that knows football and knows how to build a great organization.

This way we won't have anymore Teryl Austin's brought in...

We just need a the FO to fill all the needs in the Offseason to give us a shot. Always leave obvious holes it seems.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2018, 10:51 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Cry me a river. I have been frustrated since 68. I'm starting to feel like a red sox or cub fan. Lets cook a goat. Anything to break our curse. 

In our case wouldn't that mean we'd have to cook Bo Jackson?

(11-30-2018, 12:08 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Ya know I heard he likes to smack his secretary on the bottom and call her sweetheart.....just throwing that out there.Let's get this ball rollin.

#MikeBrown?MeToo
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 06:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: MB never will, but if Katie and Troy are having more control they might.

This is our only hope, have to have someone at the top that knows football and knows how to build a great organization.

This way we won't have anymore Teryl Austin's brought in...

We just need a the FO to fill all the needs in the Offseason to give us a shot. Always leave obvious holes it seems.

Maybe they will be more like Paul Brown. I believe Mike must have been the milk mans son the way he keeps milking Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 03:12 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Honestly it has very little to do with having a GM, it has everything to do with the team's refusal to go out and fill all their needs in the offseason.

Every year there are clear holes on the team that they refuse to address.  The year before it was LT, C, RG.

I'm not buying that.  Our "GM", Mr. Brown still makes the final call on when actions need to be taken.  An actual General Manager, with autonomous control over football operations, would certainly be more proactive than the "system" that we have in place now.

(11-30-2018, 03:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

People still keep beating the Katie, Marvin, and Duke are calling the shots drum. NO THEY'RE NOT Yes they're sitting in the office on the computer doing the work, talking to our scout or two, how many we have ?

Mike Brown is still the guy writing the checks and making the decisions, don't fool yourself. He has bent maybe 10% ? But he's still the one calling the shots ! The brain trust most likely makes suggestions but Mikey is still running it.

You could hire five guys call them President, Vice President, GM, Asst. GM, Chief cook and bottle washer or whatever title you want and as long as MB is still signing the checks he's going to run it just like he always has.

He's bent ever so slightly since 2010 but nowhere near enough to operate like a real NFL team. And he's not going to !

Don't you feel like an actual GM, with autonomous authority over football operations would make it a point to increase the scouting department?  Hiring a GM takes all of the emotional constraints of being a "family run business" out of the business of running a professional football team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 09:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not buying that.  Our "GM", Mr. Brown still makes the final call on when actions need to be taken.  An actual General Manager, with autonomous control over football operations, would certainly be more proactive than the "system" that we have in place now.

Don't you feel like an actual GM, with autonomous authority over football operations would make it a point to increase the scouting department?  Hiring a GM takes all of the emotional constraints of being a "family run business" out of the business of running a professional football team.

I 1,000,000% think this team desperately needs a real GM. One who's actually in charge of all player decisions. 

And I also know Mike Brown is never going to let somebody else have control of his money.
Reply/Quote
Yessir, this is the year we hire a GM, build an indoor practice facility, trade up to the first pick and draft a QB, and use the rest of our picks on tackles and linebackers to go with the top free agent T,TE, and LB that were available that we acquired before the draft, giving our new top-rated college coach (who's an offensive genius) and his whole new staff the right tools to head to the Super Bowl in his first year here!
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 09:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not buying that.  Our "GM", Mr. Brown still makes the final call on when actions need to be taken.  An actual General Manager, with autonomous control over football operations, would certainly be more proactive than the "system" that we have in place now.

I'd like a GM, but even with one, Mike will still make the final call.  No GM operates with 100% autonomy because nobody is just going to let someone sign blank checks to FA's, hire 100 scouts, fire their SB winning HC, and trade their franchise QB without checking with them, first.  Mike has said in the past that he will never give anyone 100% control over personnel.  He prefers a committee approach.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 11:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'd like a GM, but even with one, Mike will still make the final call.  No GM operates with 100% autonomy because nobody is just going to let someone sign blank checks to FA's, hire 100 scouts, fire their SB winning HC, and trade their franchise QB without checking with them, first.  Mike has said in the past that he will never give anyone 100% control over personnel.  He prefers a committee approach.

Well, now that you've identified the problem, I guess we can all pack up our things and go home.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Actually I think a real GM would do wonders for this team. A GM has to know football talent and when Mike Brown buts his nose into player selection all sorts of messes result. When Mike Brown refuses colossal trade offers and refuse them despite the fact the real football people want the trade badly.

Mike Brown has a history of desperate moves, something a real GM is less likely to do.

But I do see you point in that Mike will never but out and leave football to real football people, including contracts. Mike Brown fancies himself as a football person, but only God knows why. He certainly didn't inherit any skill or knowledge in the area.

Reply/Quote
His moves go in cycles. He was signing and drafting guys that had off-field issues. Then there was a time when he'd sign all the former 1st Round busts that he could get his hands on. They rarely worked out here.
Reply/Quote