Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Get To Look At Blockers In Combine Today On Friday
With Super Bowl past Senior Bowl, THIS is a Key Day. Coach Taylor and Coaches get a good look at BLOCKERS today in The Combine. So do we as Fans on NFL Network. Forget the pish posh of what some fans want to draft, This Team NEEDS BLOCKERS to Protect Burrow. He will have a very short career due to injury if Better Blockers are not brought in. So Todays Blockers Combine Day is a KEY DAY. Hopefully Bengals see some BLOCKERS they would like to add.

Tiger Who Dey Tiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
They get to take a look at blockers today? If they don't know who they like by now, they never will..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 10:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They get to take a look at blockers today?  If they don't know who they like by now, they never will..

Exactly.....if they're making decisions based upon what they see today, then our processed is F'd.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:08 AM)Stewy Wrote: Exactly.....if they're making decisions based upon what they see today, then our processed is F'd.

Obviously game film is more important than individual drills but there is more to the combine that just underwear workouts.

When they drafted Whitworth they said one of the biggest factors was the way he worked the whiteboard in his individual interview.  He killed it diagraming and explaining blocking schemes and assignments.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 10:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They get to take a look at blockers today?  If they don't know who they like by now, they never will..

I'm sure they have a handful of guys they already like.
Combine will give them the opportunity to sign off on those guys, second-guess based on their performance, or even add some guys who they might not have had on their radar (small scouting department doesn't have time to look at everyone by Combine).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote:  (small scouting department doesn't have time to look at everyone by Combine).

Sure they do.

They have an entire crew working full time and there are only about 300 players invited to the combine.

There are individuals out there who by themselves look at all these players and create websites ranking them.  It is silly to think that an entire crew of professional scouts with the resources of a multimillion dollar business and access to college coaches can't look at all the college talent.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Sure they do.

They have an entire crew working full time and there are only about 300 players invited to the combine.

There are individuals out there who by themselves look at all these players and create websites ranking them.  It is silly to think that an entire crew of professional scouts with the resources of a multimillion dollar business and access to college coaches can't look at all the college talent.

When you say "entire crew," who do you mean?

Their entire list of employees for Player Personnel are:
Duke Tobin - Director
Mike Potts - Scouting Director - College
Bill Tobin - Personnel Executive
Trey Brown - Scout
Andrew Johnson - Scout
Christian Sarkisian - Scout
Debbie LaRocco - Personnel Assistant

Maybe I'm overestimating how much time needs to be spent looking into players?
I would think you'd try to look through game tape of nearly every game of a player? Or is that excessive?

And I doubt all these guys are going full-time on college. They have FAs to worry about too during this time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:08 AM)Stewy Wrote: Exactly.....if they're making decisions based upon what they see today, then our processed is F'd.

Zac has explained the process in interviews the last couple of days. He emphasized Duke and his staff have already completed a lot of work and that the combine process is important to getting coaches caught up to speed on the evaluation process; it's especially important this year since they had a long season and were appropriately focused on playoff football. Thus, "getting to look at blockers" today is part of the process, but not the entirety of the process. He also mentioned the combine is a fun part of the coaching job by getting to see the players up close but that what they see also has to align with other parts of the drafting process such as film review. 

I agree, if the decisions are purely about today they are F'd, but Zac's already addressed they aren't making decisions this way.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I hope we don't have to take any of the blockers. The line needs to be fixed in FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Personally, I hope we don't have to take any of the blockers. The line needs to be fixed in FA.

For sure, but you have to use both options. Duke's already correctly stated FA's have to want to be on the Bengals and that the dollars have to work (this always scares me as Duke softening the blow on the Bengals being cheap); thus you first use FA to fix the line and then decide if you need to use the draft as well or not. It would be sweet if FA was a cure-all for the OL and that pick 31 could be used on a DL or CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: When you say "entire crew," who do you mean?

Their entire list of employees for Player Personnel are:
Duke Tobin - Director
Mike Potts - Scouting Director - College
Bill Tobin - Personnel Executive
Trey Brown - Scout
Andrew Johnson - Scout
Christian Sarkisian - Scout
Debbie LaRocco - Personnel Assistant

Maybe I'm overestimating how much time needs to be spent looking into players?
I would think you'd try to look through game tape of nearly every game of a player? Or is that excessive?

And I doubt all these guys are going full-time on college. They have FAs to worry about too during this time.

We have an entire coaching staff who I assume have some interest in who we draft.

And I assume our scouts have been working all through the college season and since it has ended.  That gives them thousands of hours to look at all the prospects.  You don't have to wait until the season is over to start scouting.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Personally, I hope we don't have to take any of the blockers. The line needs to be fixed in FA.

You need both.

We could sign a big money free agent for just one season if we draft a top prospect that would be ready to start in 2023.
Reply/Quote

100% need NFL starter quality players in FA, but it takes a combination of FA and good drafting to turn a line as poor as the bengals around. Of the players in that O lines room for depth/competition for starts would be Carman, Smith and resigning Reiff if he wants to keep playing and Spain. Everyone else can **** right the hell off and sit in there couch.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 11:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Obviously game film is more important than individual drills but there is more to the combine that just underwear workouts.

When they drafted Whitworth they said one of the biggest factors was the way he worked the whiteboard in his individual interview.  He killed it diagraming and explaining blocking schemes and assignments.

Oh yeah.  Not diminishing or dismissing the entire combine process, I don't think the measurables and drills mean very much, however, how the individual approaches the drills and the interview matters A LOT.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 12:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Zac has explained the process in interviews the last couple of days. He emphasized Duke and his staff have already completed a lot of work and that the combine process is important to getting coaches caught up to speed on the evaluation process; it's especially important this year since they had a long season and were appropriately focused on playoff football. Thus, "getting to look at blockers" today is part of the process, but not the entirety of the process. He also mentioned the combine is a fun part of the coaching job by getting to see the players up close but that what they see also has to align with other parts of the drafting process such as film review. 

I agree, if the decisions are purely about today they are F'd, but Zac's already addressed they aren't making decisions this way.

Fair enough, but you should have responded to the OP.  If he had known this, then this thread would never have been started, and we wouldn't have all wasted our time posting.

p.s. - Thanks.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:33 PM)Stewy Wrote: Fair enough, but you should have responded to the OP.  If he had known this, then this thread would never have been started, and we wouldn't have all wasted our time posting.

p.s. - Thanks.

Nah, I'm good with my choice to reply to you and not the OP. You said we'd be F'd, which is a fair take and what prompted my reply since Zac's explained why he thinks we aren't F'd based on his trust in Duke.  

Edit: I should add, Kevin's a good dude as we chatted during the fantasy football league thread but his walls of text are often easy to, shall I say, skim over and thus why I didn't reply to him.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:38 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Nah, I'm good with my choice to reply to you and not the OP. You said we'd be F'd, which is a fair take and what prompted my reply since Zac's explained why he thinks we aren't F'd based on his trust in Duke.  

Edit: I should add, Kevin's a good dude as we chatted during the fantasy football league thread but his walls of text are often easy to, shall I say, skim over and thus why I didn't reply to him.

Fair enough, but I said if that was all we were doing then we're F'd.  I guess I should have added that I don't believe for a second that we are basing all or even 5% of our evaluation on the combine drills.

Tape, Sr. Bowl and interviews are where the decisions are made.  Not today's drill results.

Good dude or not, he starts a lot of worthless spam posts.....like this one.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:41 PM)Stewy Wrote: Fair enough, but I said if that was all we were doing then we're F'd.  I guess I should have added that I don't believe for a second that we are basing all or even 5% of our evaluation on the combine drills.

Tape, Sr. Bowl and interviews are where the decisions are made.  Not today's drill results.

I totally followed your intent with the 'if' thought. I'm also still a cynical enough Bengals fan to believe they can F-it-up.  Hilarious  Anyhow, I wasn't "@'ing you bro" with my reply quote, but rather just jumping in on some Bengals chat to kill some time in between real world responsibilities.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2022, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You need both.

We could sign a big money free agent for just one season if we draft a top prospect that would be ready to start in 2023.

We already have the young developmental prospects.

Carman - 2nd rounder
Smith - 4th rounder
Adenji - 6th rounder

Those guys are already on the roster.
Reply/Quote
I’m just ecstatic with a one paragraph op

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote