Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals Injuries per PFF
Nice article on the Bengals and injuries here:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-data-study-war-adjusted-injuries-lost

The Cincinnati Bengals stand out, appearing three times on the list. (2012-2020) No team has been hit harder by injuries in the past decade than Cincinnati.

Although Bengals rookies other than quarterback Joe Burrow haven’t contributed to a high amount of WAR lost, these injuries might have stunted their development, as none of the first four players developed into long-term NFL starters.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals talent evaluators do seem to be magnetically attracted to those injury prone players.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2021, 06:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals talent evaluators do seem to be magnetically attracted to those injury prone players.

Agreed. We've taken a lot of players who were already injured or injury prone, and our bad line contributed to Joey B going down last year. So you can't just chalk all this up to bad luck, even though some injuries can't be helped.

I wonder how much Tyler Eifert helped (hurt?) our ranking? Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2021, 06:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals talent evaluators do seem to be magnetically attracted to those injury prone players.

Uh hmmm. It is magnetically tragic for all of us guys. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2021, 07:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. We've taken a lot of players who were already injured or injury prone, and our bad line contributed to Joey B going down last year. So you can't just chalk all this up to bad luck, even though some injuries can't be helped.

I wonder how much Tyler Eifert helped (hurt?) our ranking? Mellow

Came here to basically say this. You keep drafting already hurt/injury flag guys, you can't act surprised and victimized by bad luck when those guys miss games.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2021, 11:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Came here to basically say this. You keep drafting already hurt/injury flag guys, you can't act surprised and victimized by bad luck when those guys miss games.

I wouldn't say all the guys we draft have injury flags. Hobestly, I don't know why all our draft picks play half their rookie contracts due to injury (I'm exaggerating). But I'd be interested to find out why.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2021, 11:38 PM)Benton Wrote: I wouldn't say all the guys we draft have injury flags. Hobestly, I don't know why all our draft picks play half their rookie contracts due to injury (I'm exaggerating). But I'd be interested to find out why.

They listed the last 6 first round picks who have all gotten hurt in that article...

Ogbuehi was still recovering from an ACL injury when they drafted him. 
Price tore his pec at the scouting combine when they drafted him.
Ross already had a torn labrum that he waited until after the combine to get surgery for. (Not even mentioning his various other college injures.)

Burrow wasn't injury flag, but it was about as predictable as possible that the OL they were trotting out there was going to get him killed. 

That's half of those 6 that were *ALREADY* injured when the Bengals drafted them, and another they got injured through predictable negligence.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I actually wonder if it isn't an organizational strategy to target injured players just for the sake of always having what appears to be a legitimate excuse. Or perhaps it's more incompetence than conspiracy - other teams may have better injury weighting processes for the draft. Or they could have better conditioning/recovery programs. What's for absolute certain is that it goes beyond just dumb luck. By drafting players who are already injured or who have red flags(like say recent disc surgery or extremely out of shape family members) they are at least tempting fate. 
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 12:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They listed the last 6 first round picks who have all gotten hurt in that article...

Ross already had a torn labrum that he waited until after the combine to get surgery for. (Not even mentioning his various other college injures.)

Burrow wasn't injury flag, but it was about as predictable as possible that the OL they were trotting out there was going to get him killed. 

That's half of those 6 that were *ALREADY* injured when the Bengals drafted them, and another they got injured through predictable negligence.

With how quickly Jonah went out in OTA's as a rookie, you would have to question if he was already injured when drafted and just not yet known.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I seem to remember that in 2015, they were one of the healthiest teams in the NFL. Hoping this is just like how Michigan owned OSU during the 90s and now can't beat them for anything. The Bengals are due for some good Karma, luck, health, etc.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 08:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I seem to remember that in 2015, they were one of the healthiest teams in the NFL.  Hoping this is just like how Michigan owned OSU during the 90s and now can't beat them for anything.  The Bengals are due for some good Karma, luck, health, etc.

Fingers crossed 

I'm sure hoping we can stay healthy this season and be competitive. I have no delusions we're going to the Super Bowl this year. But I'd love to see a winning record.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 08:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I seem to remember that in 2015, they were one of the healthiest teams in the NFL.  Hoping this is just like how Michigan owned OSU during the 90s and now can't beat them for anything.  The Bengals are due for some good Karma, luck, health, etc.

I mean the last time the Bengals had any good Karma was in the 1980's when we went to the Super Bowl.  

However, in Bengal fashion, Tim Krumrie breaks his leg during the 89 Super Bowl and that affected the defense big time. 

As far as how Xichigan owned OSU in the 90's, it was more the case Ohio State didnt have a coach who lived and breathed the hatred of the TTUN like most of the fan base.  I mean even Earl Bruce had a winning record against TTUN.  However, Cooper was chased out of Ohio State because he wasn't a Buckeye.  He didn't understand what the game meant.  It was another game to him.   Change coaches and bring in a culture that you have 3 objective every year...beat the TTUN, Win the Big Ten, and compete for a National Title.  

Hopefully, this coaching staff can learn how to coach this year because the past 2 years haven't shown that the OC (Taylor) nor the DC (Lou) can scheme a game plan to win ball games. 
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 11:00 AM)TJ528 Wrote: I mean the last time the Bengals had any good Karma was in the 1980's when we went to the Super Bowl.  

However, in Bengal fashion, Tim Krumrie breaks his leg during the 89 Super Bowl and that affected the defense big time. 

As far as how Xichigan owned OSU in the 90's, it was more the case Ohio State didnt have a coach who lived and breathed the hatred of the TTUN like most of the fan base.  I mean even Earl Bruce had a winning record against TTUN.  However, Cooper was chased out of Ohio State because he wasn't a Buckeye.  He didn't understand what the game meant.  It was another game to him.   Change coaches and bring in a culture that you have 3 objective every year...beat the TTUN, Win the Big Ten, and compete for a National Title.  

Hopefully, this coaching staff can learn how to coach this year because the past 2 years haven't shown that the OC (Taylor) nor the DC (Lou) can scheme a game plan to win ball games. 

While I think you're mostly right, I think they have shown flashes of competence.  Steelers MNF with Ryan Finley comes to mind.  Really, last year we  seemed much more competitive just from an eye test, but there were positions (CB,OL,WR for example) where our depth just wasn't good enough. 

However, I hope I'm not alone (meaning delusional) in seeing that our depth is becoming something to take pride in this year.  
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 11:19 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: While I think you're mostly right, I think they have shown flashes of competence.  Steelers MNF with Ryan Finley comes to mind.  Really, last year we  seemed much more competitive just from an eye test, but there were positions (CB,OL,WR for example) where our depth just wasn't good enough. 

However, I hope I'm not alone (meaning delusional) in seeing that our depth is becoming something to take pride in this year.  

Flashes dont put wins on the board.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 12:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They listed the last 6 first round picks who have all gotten hurt in that article...

...and none of those injured players were worth the wait. Except Burrow, but that's a different story. Like you said, we just didn't protect him and everyone saw that injury coming (except those who think QB injuries are 100% luck based and have nothing to do with the QB taking way more hits than usual).

Injured busts like Ogbuehi and Price contributed greatly to us getting Burrow and - ironically - us getting Burrow hurt. Ross being an injured bust made us take Jamarr Chase instead of Sewell, which could lead to Burrow getting hurt again. Almost funny, isn't it?

Makes you realize how a few bad choices can just snowball into wrecking an organization.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of top players with injury history in college. For example the same year we took Ross Christian McCaffrey and Myles Garrett were dealing with serious injury issues but were still drafted higher.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 09:09 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Fingers crossed 

I'm sure hoping we can stay healthy this season and be competitive. I have no delusions we're going to the Super Bowl this year. But I'd love to see a winning record.

Our players can buy tickets to that game just like anybody else...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 11:19 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: While I think you're mostly right, I think they have shown flashes of competence.  Steelers MNF with Ryan Finley comes to mind.  Really, last year we  seemed much more competitive just from an eye test, but there were positions (CB,OL,WR for example) where our depth just wasn't good enough. 

I think there's more talent on this team because of free agency and the draft.  

However, this team is still void of talent at multiple positions IMO.

Do I think the depth on the OL is quality enough to block NFL DL after the starting 5?  No

LB corp - if we lose 1 or 2 LB for a period of time we'll be shopping on the open market and praying someone can come in and play.  

I think after our top 3 WR we're razor thin.  

We're slowly building depth on this team but it doesnt happen overnight. 
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2021, 12:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and none of those injured players were worth the wait. Except Burrow, but that's a different story. Like you said, we just didn't protect him and everyone saw that injury coming (except those who think QB injuries are 100% luck based and have nothing to do with the QB taking way more hits than usual).

Injured busts like Ogbuehi and Price contributed greatly to us getting Burrow and - ironically - us getting Burrow hurt. Ross being an injured bust made us take Jamarr Chase instead of Sewell, which could lead to Burrow getting hurt again. Almost funny, isn't it?

Makes you realize how a few bad choices can just snowball into wrecking an organization.

Shake, I can honestly say there was a point watching games last year after the front office and coaching staff said they had what they needed on the OL that i said to myself, I wonder when we lose Burrow to injury. 

It was only a matter of time.  Did we do enough in the off season to not think that way this year?  We'll see come pre-season but I'm definitely not comfortable with the depth on the OL. 
Reply/Quote

I just assumed we don't mind taking injured players because we think we may be getting a gem at a reduced draft price and unlike most teams we don't have a GM who is worried he won't be around when the gamble pays off. 
Reply/Quote