Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Insiders Don’t Have Us Taking Pitts
We need to protect Burrow. So draft the TE who can’t block...
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 10:49 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We need to protect Burrow. So draft the TE who can’t block...

We need to protect Burrow. Buy quality OL in FA so you can draft generational pass catchers.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 11:07 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: We need to protect Burrow. Buy quality OL in FA so you can draft generational pass catchers.

And we already have the TE that can block.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 11:07 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: We need to protect Burrow. Buy quality OL in FA so you can draft generational pass catchers.

I’m on board with that. If I’m taking a top 5 TE he better be a well rounded TE. I don’t know much about Pitts. Just stirring the pot so we don’t have a Pitts circle je...
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 12:39 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m on board with that. If I’m taking a top 5 TE he better be a well rounded TE. I don’t know much about Pitts. Just stirring the pot so we don’t have a Pitts circle je...

Pitts is not the most well rounded player in this draft-he isn’t the most effective blocker-but I will say that I have read profiles saying that he has improved in that area this year. That could mean that he went from not blocking at all to attempting to block but still pretty bad at it or he is just OK at it now, honestly I don’t know.

All I’m saying is, whether he can block or not you need a player who can create mis matches to exploit. Pitts is a match up nightmare and he should be moved around to match up against smaller slot corners, strong safeties and poor coverage linebackers. To hell with trying to find a guy who can do both I want to hang 50burgers on teams.
Reply/Quote
Totally agree with higher priorities to this team with #5 is than a TE, hope article is accurate
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals wouldn't even consider Kyle Pitts, it's because they still think Sample can become a really good TE and/or wouldn't be able to incorporate a player like Pitts into the offense correctly.

With that said, Pitts should be a big difference maker and is heads and shoulders above the other TEs in the class. I really do think he could be a Top 10 TE in the league as a rookie and will become a Top 5 TE in the league throughout his career. I see him being right up there with Kelce, Kittle, and Waller within a few years.

On the flip side, I see Sample following similar lines to Vance McDonald if he's lucky. Someone who might become a solid TE but is never going to be great as a receiver. Ceiling would be probably 500-600 yards with a few TDs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
By their own logic ("It’s an easy line of thinking to get behind when the objective of the offseason is better protecting Joe Burrow.") it seems they think Chase/Smith would be out of the question as well.

So it sounds like, if we are to take this at face value, the pick will either be Sewell or Slater, as those are the only two in the top 10 that would tangibly protect Burrow.

Of course, this is assuming that having an incredible player like Pitts as an relief valve for Burrow under pressure is not considered "protecting" him. I'm not sure I agree with this assertion, but it is worth mentioning, at least.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 12:39 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I’m on board with that. If I’m taking a top 5 TE he better be a well rounded TE. I don’t know much about Pitts. Just stirring the pot so we don’t have a Pitts circle je...

Pitts can block and definitely puts effort in, but he's just not great at it. I think he can get there if he can add 10 lbs. He's going to give you another dimension in the passing game that Sample and even Uzomah won't be able to give.

If you twisted my arm and said if the OL was completely taken care of and I got to pick my preferred pass catcher, I'd actually take Pitts over Chase, Smith, and Waddle. I think he's that good. Plus, he'd be able to block better than any of the WRs, which will help the running game too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Fix the oline through FA and draft Kyle Pitts. It's not as
Complicated as the front office wants you to believe
Reply/Quote
Yeah, this whole forward pass thing is just an overrated fad anyway.
Reply/Quote
I'm leaning more to having 4 Oline added this year, 2 in FA and 2 drafted. Also would you be happy with TE production of 64 for 700 and 8 Tds out of our TE. Well that is what CJ was on pace for after 2 games. I remember it was mentioned in pre season CJ and Burrow were working well together. Last I heard he was progressing well.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 08:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I'm leaning more to having 4 Oline added this year, 2 in FA and 2 drafted. Also would you be happy with TE production of 64 for 700 and 8 Tds out of our TE. Well that is what CJ was on pace for after 2 games. I remember it was mentioned in pre season CJ and Burrow were working well together. Last I heard he was progressing well.

My only concern with Uzomah (who I do like) is he’ll be coming off a torn Achilles. I’d imagine that’s tough one to come back from for TE’s/WR’s/RB’s with all the cuts they have to make.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 08:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I'm leaning more to having 4 Oline added this year, 2 in FA and 2 drafted. Also would you be happy with TE production of 64 for 700 and 8 Tds out of our TE. Well that is what CJ was on pace for after 2 games. I remember it was mentioned in pre season CJ and Burrow were working well together.  Last I heard he was progressing well.

CJ is nowhere even close to being on Pitts level. Like others have said fix the OL in FA draft Pitts and pickup more OL and DL and other pieces in the draft. Not to mention a torn achilles is very tough to come back from.
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Up 
(02-08-2021, 08:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I'm leaning more to having 4 Oline added this year, 2 in FA and 2 drafted. Also would you be happy with TE production of 64 for 700 and 8 Tds out of our TE. Well that is what CJ was on pace for after 2 games. I remember it was mentioned in pre season CJ and Burrow were working well together.  Last I heard he was progressing well.

CJ is a fine  #2 TE. But he simply cannot do the things that Pitts can do.
Pitts can produce 700 yds and 8 TDs in his sleep.
Uzomah was very raw as a TE coming out of Auburn.
How long as it took him even be above average
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 09:31 PM)impactplaya Wrote: CJ is a fine  #2 TE. But he simply cannot do the things that Pitts can do.
Pitts can produce 700 yds and 8 TDs in his sleep.
Uzomah was very raw as a TE coming out of Auburn.
How long as it took him even be above average

I am not going to assume Pitts will do that without seeing him perform in NFL and if he put of those numbers he would be in top 5 of TE stats this season so I would not consider if CJ can perform the way he did in 1st two games with Burrow as a #2 TE.. those stats would be a #1 TE...  i put CJ in the conversation since if the Bengals feel good about what he was doing last year with Burrow it puts less importance on TE this year with such high end on Oline...
Reply/Quote

It's a shade early to say he's going to be generational in the NFL. He should probably play in an NFL game first.

We're likely going to have to take at least one lineman in FA, it's doubtful we'd get the two we need. To me, take one of the best OT's in this year's draft and go after Robinson or Golladay. Or if we really want a TE, get Jonnu Smith from Tennessee. He's a pretty balanced guy, an upgrade from Uzomah, and his affordability would free up money for fixing the line.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 09:30 PM)pulses Wrote: CJ is nowhere even close to being on Pitts level. Like others have said fix the OL in FA draft Pitts and pickup more OL and DL and other pieces in the draft. Not to mention a torn achilles is very tough to come back from.

First, I never compared CJ to Pitts (but i tend to wait till they actually play in NFL for comparisons), what I pointed out was though a small sample of two games CJ was a definitely in the game plan first two games with 11 targets, 8 catches and a TD maybe the Bengals depending on his rehab feel good about him coming into next year that will probably lessen the need to consider a TE with #5 pick besides the rarity of picking a TE that high... and they can continue to focus on Oline with that pick
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2021, 04:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First, I never compared CJ to Pitts (but i tend to wait till they actually play in NFL for comparisons), what I pointed out was though a small sample of two games  CJ was a definitely in the game plan first two games with 11 targets, 8 catches and a TD maybe the Bengals depending on his rehab feel good about him coming into next year that will probably lessen the need to consider a TE with #5 pick besides the rarity of picking a TE that high... and they can continue to focus on Oline with that pick

I understand what you're saying. But coming back from an achilles injury is not going to be easy and while also paying him like 6 million it's more feasable to draft someone cheaper with a higher ceiling and not rush him back. Who knows he may not be 100 %.
Reply/Quote
So who are we picking according to the insiders? If it’s Sewell I’m quite happy with that.
Reply/Quote