Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Latest Ranking
(11-10-2021, 11:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 3/5 of the OL is good though. Which is an improvement over last year where Hopkins was the best starter we had. Are they great? No. Are they a “total liability” like suggested up thread? No.

can't effectively measure the quality of an OL by selecting positions over the unit. like suggesting a condom covered with 40% porous material still provides some protection.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 10:12 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: What about the first 6 weeks?

Xeno, the first 6 weeks I called Lou the MVP of this team.  He called a defense and came up with schemes that were confusing people. 

I'm not sure what the hell happened over the last 2 weeks but I hope to god he went back to the drawing board during they bye week and came up with new schemes because it seems like the Browns and Jets figured how to attack it.  

As I keep saying, we'll know alot more about this team after the Vegas game.  If they win, then I think we can compete for a playoff spot and compete in the division.  However, if they lose in Vegas I think that's the beginning of the downfall. 
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 11:38 AM)P W Wrote: can't effectively measure the quality of an OL by selecting positions over the unit. like suggesting a condom covered with 40% porous material still provides some protection.

Not really, no. It’s true OL play is only as good as it’s weakest link, and right now Hopkins and everyone we’re throwing out at RG are dragging down the overall unit, but it’s silly to suggest the other guys haven’t played well. The left side in particular, has been very good this year.

There’s way too much generalizing with that kind of mentality. I’m more interested in focusing on exactly what needs to be addressed (C & RG), not just continually screaming “the entire OL sucks!”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 11:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not really, no. It’s true OL play is only as good as it’s weakest link, and right now Hopkins and everyone we’re throwing out at RG are dragging down the overall unit, but it’s silly to suggest the other guys haven’t played well. The left side in particular, has been very good this year.

There’s way too much generalizing with that kind of mentality. I’m more interested in focusing on exactly what needs to be addressed (C & RG), not just continually screaming “the entire OL sucks!”

believe if we see a post saying "the OL sucks" its more a statement on the unit's output than a damnation of every player in that unit. and i can't really recall the last time i saw a post stating "the entire OL sucks." possible if someone posted that i've mentally overlooked it because of hyperbole. the bengals have a few issues to address at OL, not every position. if hopkins and carman could get healthy, which i have doubts about this season, it could stablize the o-line more. the fact the bengals front office refused to trade for a OG/C will probably continue to feel like a kick in the teeth for the rest of this season though.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 11:46 PM)Tony Wrote: I don't care what numbers they pull out of their ass. The whole Oline is a liability and the biggest reason the offense is so inconsistent.. I think all of the hots have taken a toll on Joe... Hence all the INTs.. Couple I'm the D being complete useless and you have a QB playing hero ball because he has too... This team is still pretty far away from contending. They got exposed bad these past 2 games... 

(11-10-2021, 12:06 PM)P W Wrote: believe if we see a post saying "the OL sucks" its more a statement on the unit's output than a damnation of every player in that unit. and i can't really recall the last time i saw a post stating "the entire OL sucks." possible if someone posted that i've mentally overlooked it because of hyperbole. the bengals have a few issues to address at OL, not every position. if hopkins and carman could get healthy, which i have doubts about this season, it could stablize the o-line more. the fact the bengals front office refused to trade for a OG/C will probably continue to feel like a kick in the teeth for the rest of this season though.

You mean like this ^

There’s just no reasoning with that. Anyone that truly believes Jonah, Spain, and Reiff are a liability are either clueless, or trolling.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 12:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You mean like this ^

There’s just no reasoning with that. Anyone that truly believes Jonah, Spain, and Reiff are a liability are either clueless, or trolling.

emotional hyperbole on their part. i just mentally overlook the intentional hot-takes that are looking solely for a reaction. it's like the "fans" that go from "full on rainbow mode" when they win and turn into "B-word hating malcontents" when they lose. shrug. any given sunday.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 06:09 PM)GodFather Wrote: Total O: 14
Rush O: 23
Pass O: 10
Scoring O: 9

Total D: 18
Rush D: 9
Pass D: 22
Scoring D: 12

Turnover +/-: 24t

Bengals were 5 overall in Defense earlier and now at 18. If they don't change things drastically will be bottom 5 by years end ....yet again..

Very weak schedule to start the season gave false perception of the defense.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 11:38 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Xeno, the first 6 weeks I called Lou the MVP of this team.  He called a defense and came up with schemes that were confusing people. 

I'm not sure what the hell happened over the last 2 weeks but I hope to god he went back to the drawing board during they bye week and came up with new schemes because it seems like the Browns and Jets figured how to attack it.  

As I keep saying, we'll know alot more about this team after the Vegas game.  If they win, then I think we can compete for a playoff spot and compete in the division.  However, if they lose in Vegas I think that's the beginning of the downfall. 

Could it be that there's enough tape now that teams are starting to catch on and plan better, just like they are doing with Chase?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 11:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 3/5 of the OL is good though. Which is an improvement over last year where Hopkins was the best starter we had. Are they great? No. Are they a “total liability” like suggested up thread? No.

How can you say that the OL is good when the Quarterback gets hit 12 times and sacked 5 times  against the Browns? Burrow is getting hit like crazy. They need to clean that up in bye week because I would not call that good at all. Im also not going to say they are garbage and the worst line ever, because thats ridiculous too. 

I just stand behind that this offensive line is a product of what the Bengals addressed in the offseason. They knew Hopkins was coming off a major injury so they should've addressed it. They did not... 

They drafted a second rounder after moving down because they wanted that extra pick. Is that addressing a necessity this team needs? No it does not..

And here we are.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:22 PM)GodFather Wrote: I just stand behind that this offensive line is a product of what the Bengals addressed in the offseason. They knew Hopkins was coming off a major injury so they should've addressed it. They did not... 

They drafted a second rounder after moving down because they wanted that extra pick. Is that addressing a necessity this team needs? No it does not..

And here we are.

preach it!
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 01:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Could it be that there's enough tape now that teams are starting to catch on and plan better, just like they are doing with Chase?

I'm sure that's exactly what it is, but now we get to see if Lou is a good coach.  Will he be able to fix it during the bye week?

If he's able to fix the defense and make it unpredictable and get some turn overs then I have confidence we can make the playoffs.

We play how we've played the last 2 weeks and I have confidence we'll finish last in the AFC North again. 
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 02:37 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I'm sure that's exactly what it is, but now we get to see if Lou is a good coach.  Will he be able to fix it during the bye week?

I have zero faith in Lou...
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 01:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Could it be that there's enough tape now that teams are starting to catch on and plan better, just like they are doing with Chase?

Film is not what is stopping Chase.

If he holds on to the balls that he usually catches he would have had another 100 yard game against the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 10:12 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: What about the first 6 weeks?

What about the first 2 years? Mellow

IMO, the leash should be short with Lou. He was awful the first 2 years. We dumped a ton of money into the defense. After the last 2 games, our season ranks in total defense and points are mediocre at best.

So to me it's inexcusable. We need better.

(11-10-2021, 12:29 PM)P W Wrote: emotional hyperbole on their part. i just mentally overlook the intentional hot-takes that are looking solely for a reaction. it's like the "fans" that go from "full on rainbow mode" when they win and turn into "B-word hating malcontents" when they lose. shrug. any given sunday.

Freaking bravo. This is also how I generally look at it. If only everyone could overlook the emotional "hot take" posts and handle them a little better, this board would be a MUCH better place.

Instead, I think a lot of people care way too much about scoring "I'm right" cool points on the board by taking obvious emotion-fueled hyperbole at face value, just to score easy "wins".

Then you also have other people who would rather just take out their frustrations with the losing on other posters rather than the team itself.

I'm not saying emotion-fueled hot takes are the way to go, I'm just saying that all this moral grandstanding about the boards being toxic with negativity is complete BS. The so-called positive posters are contributing just as much themselves.

Yall aren't being positive. You're just matching negativity with more negativity. THAT is how you create a toxic atmosphere.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 06:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What about the first 2 years? Mellow

IMO, the leash should be short with Lou. He was awful the first 2 years. We dumped a ton of money into the defense. After the last 2 games, our season ranks in total defense and points are mediocre at best.

So to me it's inexcusable. We need better.

Freaking bravo. This is also how I generally look at it. If only everyone could overlook the emotional "hot take" posts and handle them a little better, this board would be a MUCH better place.

Instead, I think a lot of people care way too much about scoring "I'm right" cool points on the board by taking obvious emotion-fueled hyperbole at face value, just to score easy "wins".

Then you also have other people who would rather just take out their frustrations with the losing on other posters rather than the team itself.

I'm not saying emotion-fueled hot takes are the way to go, I'm just saying that all this moral grandstanding about the boards being toxic with negativity is complete BS. The so-called positive posters are contributing just as much themselves.

Yall aren't being positive. You're just matching negativity with more negativity. THAT is how you create a toxic atmosphere.

I just took my desolate ignore list and populated it with moro... people. :)

It's been so pleasant today. Seeing regular old negative points and some debates but not the over-the-top crap. 

Bliss!!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 06:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just took my desolate ignore list and populated it with moro... people. :)

It's been so pleasant today. Seeing regular old negative points and some debates but not the over-the-top crap. 

Bliss!!

No no... you were right the first time.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 06:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just took my desolate ignore list and populated it with moro... people. :)

Bliss!!

That's also a great option. Not so much for mods, but I'll admit I did use ignore one time (the week leading up to the draft), and it worked like a charm. "Ignore" and "report" are probably the most underutilized features on here.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 07:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's also a great option. Not so much for mods, but I'll admit I did use ignore one time (the week leading up to the draft), and it worked like a charm. "Ignore" and "report" are probably the most underutilized features on here.

I've never used it before but it got to the point where i couldn't even log on and read a few posts without wanting to smash my monitor. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 07:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's also a great option. Not so much for mods, but I'll admit I did use ignore one time (the week leading up to the draft), and it worked like a charm. "Ignore" and "report" are probably the most underutilized features on here.

I feel bad using the report option, just makes more work for the mods.

Ignore was something I never used but recently have been using very liberally. Sad thing is when you have more "fans" of your own team on ignore then visiting fans (Oh yes Poe was the first one to make me use the feature).

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2021, 07:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I've never used it before but it got to the point where i couldn't even log on and read a few posts without wanting to smash my monitor. 

It's a good feature, but it's not as effective here because ignored posts can be quoted and you still see them.  One forum I belong to, which utilizes a different software, also allows you to ignore people, but to a greater effect.  Once you place them on ignore, you see no threads they start.  They cannot contact you via PM.  If they quote you there is no notification and you do not see it.  For all intents and purposes, they cease to exist as far as you're concerned.  Now that is heaven.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote