Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Most Improved Player (according to PFF)
Drumroll please...

ANDREW BILLINGS, INTERIOR DEFENDER
In Billings’ first year of NFL action, it was clear he wasn’t ready for the speed of the game. This past season, he looked more like the player we saw at Baylor. He racked up 22 run stops compared to only seven in 2017.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-each-nfl-teams-most-improved-player
Reply/Quote
As I (and a few others) said; he was markedly better this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He was. Our DT's beside Geno were all generally ok.

The poor LB play made the whole defense look bad though.
Reply/Quote
I’d argue Boyd or Mixon.

Reply/Quote
Mixon and Boyd for me
Reply/Quote
Boyd easily
Reply/Quote
Billings in the pre season looked like he was gonna be a total monster. Then when the regular season started he got off to a pretty slow start. As the season progressed he got better and better.

I'd agree with the others though and say Boyd or even Mixon should get most improved.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 09:54 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Boyd easily

I feel like Boyd looked great in previous years too he just wasn't given enough of a chance. 

I'm glad to hear Billings improved. I know it is possible that we will draft a DT this year, I hope that doesn't mean we're giving up on Ryan Glasgow and Josh Tupou -- both of whom looked like they had a ton of potential and are entering their 3rd year (sometimes that is the best year a player will ever have). Of course we have Adolphus Washington and Andrew Brown too but it is hard to know what you have in them.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 11:36 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: I feel like Boyd looked great in previous years too he just wasn't given enough of a chance. 

I'm glad to hear Billings improved. I know it is possible that we will draft a DT this year, I hope that doesn't mean we're giving up on Ryan Glasgow and Josh Tupou -- both of whom looked like they had a ton of potential and are entering their 3rd year (sometimes that is the best year a player will ever have). Of course we have Adolphus Washington and Andrew Brown too but it is hard to know what you have in them.

I don't think there is any way they are giving up on Glasgow, he was playing very well up until his injury. That said, history with Geno and Billings tells us he won't be very good this year, as it takes DL two years to fully recover both physically and mentally.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 01:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d argue Boyd or Mixon.

I think Boyd is the fairly obvious one.

That said, they attempted to do this statistically.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 11:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Drumroll please...

ANDREW BILLINGS, INTERIOR DEFENDER
In Billings’ first year of NFL action, it was clear he wasn’t ready for the speed of the game. This past season, he looked more like the player we saw at Baylor. He racked up 22 run stops compared to only seven in 2017.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-each-nfl-teams-most-improved-player

BILLINGS!!!

That is what i am talking about. Hope he continues to improve, still very young and if he learns how Guards and Centers are going to try and play him he can throw them around and dominate next to Geno. Loving this, i think if the LB core improves we will get good at stopping the run again. It was unfair to the D-line how bad the LB core was last year.
Reply/Quote
Mixon was looking pretty good in '17 after They got rid of PA's horse shit blocking schemes.

And did Boyd really improve that much or did they just start utilizing him like they should have in '17? Boyd looked pretty good as a rookie.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 08:27 PM)McC Wrote: Mixon was looking pretty good in '17 after They got rid of PA's horse shit blocking schemes.

And did Boyd really improve that much or did they just start utilizing him like they should have in '17?  Boyd looked pretty good as a rookie.

Boyd was pretty good his rookie year, then yeah they didn't play him much in his 2nd year. I think the opportunities led to more catches. Also not having basically any receiving TE's most of the year...and not having a #3 WR who was going to catch the ball.

I do think Boyd is a good WR though and I look forward to seeing his career progress.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 10:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Boyd was pretty good his rookie year, then yeah they didn't play him much in his 2nd year. I think the opportunities led to more catches. Also not having basically any receiving TE's most of the year...and not having a #3 WR who was going to catch the ball.

I do think Boyd is a good WR though and I look forward to seeing his career progress.

He absolutely is a good receiver.  Seems like his '18 got ushered in by the last game of '17 and the game winning catch in particular.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 10:43 PM)McC Wrote: He absolutely is a good receiver.  Seems like his '18 got ushered in by the last game of '17 and the game winning catch in particular.

I was pretty happy when we drafted him. I saw him play at Pitt in person. He lives fairly close to me too.

Hopefully we extend him soon. I'd hate to see him go to the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
I think Mixon,and then Boyd,Billings has improved.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 10:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was pretty happy when we drafted him. I saw him play at Pitt in person. He lives fairly close to me too.

Hopefully we extend him soon. I'd hate to see him go to the Steelers.

With the rush to throw everyone under the bus in Pittsburgh I'm not too sure that many marque players are going to be in a big hurry to join that shit show until it's resolved permanently .. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I thought Boyd was a beast this season
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'm not so sure Mixon improved so much, as I think it was improved line play in front of him that led to his breakout. I think he ALWAYS was that good. Boyd had a good 1st year, then I think got it in his head that he didn't need to do much to improve and went into the Sophomore Slump, and the drug stuff, came back last year with a purpose and was a complete beast. Billings improved.... A LOT, but I still hope to see him doing better and just destroying offensive lines.
Reply/Quote
I feel like this really had to cut the "All he does is fall down" crowd deep. I tried breaking down tape showing how well he does his job while he is in versus when he is out but some didn't want to listen.
Reply/Quote