Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Need To Scout Bowl Games HARD
Scout Burrow and the others in these Bowl Games. Don't just take others word on Burrow as they did Akili Smith. Hopefully the days of that Cincinnati drugstore guy making a list of names are over. I'm sure a Cincinnati Chili guy has a list of names also. This is where every other team that has won a play-off game besides us uses Scouts.

Scouts would have told them Akili Smith had many on field problems to correct. Instead they found out after the draft in camp that he was light years away from being an NFL QB. Scouts could have seen what the guy in the Cincy drugstore didn't.

With the top picks in the draft every round, 2 is like a 1, 3 is like a 2. So right now, NOW, Scouts should be all over every inch of game footage of all these Bowl Games. Yes, LSU, Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State but all the other Bowl Games. See who steps up in the BIG GAMES, which Bengals haven't done in 30 years.

If Burrow is the guy, fine. However if he stinks in the Bowl Games, Bengals need to know. They should come away with great talent every round drafting 1st every round, but only if they scout many games and hundreds and hundreds of players. Never ever again use a drugstore list as if picking names out of a hat. We all have our lists and they all stink. This is where scouts need to get down and dirty finding out everything they can.

Who knows, maybe scouts could find players who aren't in a body cast and can actually play their rookie year. It's been forever that a top draft pick actually was healthy and able to play. Many they drafted knowing they would be injured the first year. That is stupid. Bengals need players that can come in and play ASAP because only 1 win and 2018 stunk also. We don't need more MASH unit college boys. We have a plenty already.

GET THE SCOUTS ON THESE BOWL GAMES....NOW. Scouts see things average fans don't, and even Mike & Katey don't. Now at New Years is where other teams build and win with SCOUTS. I put scouting these Bowl Games over meaningless Battle For Ohio last game. That is like Johnny Carson doing The Great Carnac and after some bad jokes saying, " and now the final envelope ", and audience would give Bronx Cheer. The only thing good about last game, is it is the last game. Scouting these Bowl Games is more important.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The OP is absolutely right — and the scouts need to keep an open mind. In the playoffs it is possible either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields could outplay the other prospects. If that’s the case then it might be judicious to wait until 2021 to get a quarterback.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hard to scout hard with 1 scout
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 03:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The OP is absolutely right — and the scouts need to keep an open mind.  In the playoffs it is possible either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields could outplay the other prospects.  If that’s the case then it might be judicious to wait until 2021 to get a quarterback.

I've pitching that mantra for awhile now. This draft is loaded with o-linemen! 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 03:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The OP is absolutely right — and the scouts need to keep an open mind.  In the playoffs it is possible either Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields could outplay the other prospects.  If that’s the case then it might be judicious to wait until 2021 to get a quarterback.

The first pick in 2 is like a 1.  It is like two first round picks.  The first pick in 3 is like a 2.  The first pick in 4 is like a 3.   If this team doesn't get 4 quality players to help ASAP in September,  then they didn't Scout.  They went with these mock lists and never got down and dirty putting in the Scouting.    If they do NOT Scout, having the #1 picks is a complete and total waste. They will get more clunkers if they don't scout and just go with media draft lists. Every other team in the NFL Scouts and maybe why they all have play-off wins and we don't.

I'm not against taking Burrow, but scout the guy in these big games now. Scout the guy and others. We kind of get two 1st rounds drafting first in 2. Don't buy them sight unseen. Go into draft knowing. Knowledge is everything. Don't guess at the draft picks, SCOUT.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 04:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I've pitching that mantra for awhile now. This draft is loaded with o-linemen! 

If the scouts see that, fine.  Don't take ESPN or CBS or FOX word for it.   We need O Line yes, but to go #1 pick on one No.    My word, it's like we have 4 picks in first 3 rounds.  Get more than 1 good player.  In fact, if all they get is 1 good player, this draft is a complete bust and Bengals will stay awful. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 04:03 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Hard to scout hard with 1 scout

not when hes the bruce willis of scouts.
Reply/Quote
Scout the Bowl Games?!?! What a ground breaking idea! Ninja
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
In terms of scouting, the Bengals should avoid overreacting to a single game either negatively or positively.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 03:25 PM)kevin Wrote: Scout Burrow and the others in these Bowl Games.  Don't just take others word on Burrow as they did Akili Smith. Hopefully the days of that Cincinnati drugstore guy making a list of names are over.  I'm sure a Cincinnati Chili guy has a list of names also.  This is where every other team that has won a play-off game besides us uses Scouts.

Scouts would have told them Akili Smith had many on field problems to correct.  Instead they found out after the draft in camp that he was light years away from being an NFL QB.  Scouts could have seen what the guy in the Cincy drugstore didn't.

With the top picks in the draft every round, 2 is like a 1,  3 is like a 2.   So right now,  NOW,  Scouts should be all over every inch of game footage of all these Bowl Games.   Yes, LSU, Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State but all the other Bowl Games.  See who steps up in the BIG GAMES, which Bengals haven't done in 30 years.

If Burrow is the guy, fine.  However if he stinks in the Bowl Games, Bengals need to know.   They should come away with great talent every round drafting 1st every round, but only if they scout many games and hundreds and hundreds of players. Never ever again use a drugstore list as if picking names out of a hat.   We all have our lists and they all stink.  This is where scouts need to get down and dirty finding out everything they can.  

Who knows, maybe scouts could find players who aren't in a body cast and can actually play their rookie year.  It's been forever that a top draft pick actually was healthy and able to play.  Many they drafted knowing they would be injured the first year. That is stupid.  Bengals need players that can come in and play ASAP because only 1 win and 2018 stunk also.  We don't need more MASH unit college boys. We have a plenty already.

GET THE SCOUTS ON THESE BOWL GAMES....NOW.    Scouts see things average fans don't, and even Mike & Katey don't.   Now at New Years is where other teams build and win with SCOUTS.  I put scouting these Bowl Games over meaningless Battle For Ohio last game.  That is like Johnny Carson doing The Great Carnac and after some bad jokes saying, " and now the final envelope ", and audience would give Bronx Cheer.  The only thing good about last game, is it is the last game.  Scouting these Bowl Games is more important.

Both scouts covering multiple games on the same day. Not sure how they do that. Any ideas?

Maybe Scotty materialized and is teleporting them to games all over the country.

Zac Taylor doing scouting? Does he even know how? From what I've seen of him this season he acts likes his mama recently stopped fitting him with diapers.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 05:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: In terms of scouting, the Bengals should avoid overreacting to a single game either negatively or positively.

Exactly.  Seems like the smart thing to do if a player catches their eye, is to compare what that player did in the bowl game to what they were doing during the rest of the season.  For example, if someone were "scouting" the Bengals, and the only footage they watched was the Jets game, they might have the misleading impression that the Bengals are a really good team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Its more likely that Burrow has a rough game Saturday than a Heisman like game Saturday. I say that because most Heisman winners tend to struggle in their bowl games then not. To me Burrow aced then test and this is the extra credit session.
For me the only question the Bengals have if they didn't draft Burrow is 1.) How much can we get for the pick? And 2.) Is there another QB we love that we can get later in the draft?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
They sure have a lot riding on it. Absolutely have to take advantage of this while we can & hope not to be in this position again.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 05:59 PM)J24 Wrote: Is there another QB we love that we can get later in the draft?

It’s just my gut feeling — not my preference — but I can’t shake the idea Mike Brown wants either the biggest arm in the draft (Justin Herbert) or who he perceives to be Lamar Jackson Lite (Jalen Hurts). I don’t think Joe Burrow is on Mikey Boy’s radar screen.
Reply/Quote

So are you suggesting another 1 win season in order to be in place to grab Lawrence, since just about every other team wants him as well?
Reply/Quote

So the Bengals should pass on Burrow and try to tank next year for Fields or Lawrence if they outplay him in the playoffs despite the fact that Burrow has outplayed both of them all year long?

These bowl games are important, but it's easy to put too much importance on them. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: 1403551086000-cindc5bk-5ib7cpctza813jijj...6&fit=crop]
"Akili Smith points to the Cincinnati chili guy who drafted him during a NFL game against the Rams"

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 06:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So are you suggesting another 1 win season in order to be in place to grab Lawrence, since just about every other team wants him as well?

I think if Mike Brown keeps Zac Taylor around another one win season is all but guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
Akili had a better first season wins than Zac Taylor. Mellow

Maybe they should have scouted his ass better(such as his OC record)and not been so caught up in his " incredible football mind" riding McVay's coattails.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2019, 07:54 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: [Image: 1403551086000-cindc5bk-5ib7cpctza813jijj...6&fit=crop]
"Akili Smith points to the Cincinnati chili guy who drafted him during a NFL game against the Rams"

I think he's pointing at the guy who actually took his wonderlic test the second time.  It could've been the chili guy.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote