Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals OL drills getting slammed on twitter...
(08-15-2022, 05:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: his awful-ness at pass blocking completely negates whatever ok run blocking skills he possesses

Sadly - yes. I was just talking about the short yardage woes, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
All these useless gadgets and practice equipment... And nothing to show for it. I tried to sound the alarm. Glad to see more come to realization that Pollack is all bells and whistles but no progress.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I don’t care what drills they do. If the line plays well then do whatever it takes. Even if everyone else says it’s stupid. If it doesn’t work….
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: Right, if you notice today Taylor was talking about working to minimize soft tissue injuries and such. They have made a big investment in health and trying to prevent injuries. This very well may have been 100% about strengthening ankles to prevent sprained ankles which are very common on the line.

Yep. That's what this is for.

But, it's odd that they throw medicine balls at him like it's a blocking drill.
Reply/Quote
The purpose of this drill was to teach Hakeem to continue blocking while standing on the helmets of the two defensive players he just took to the ground.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 04:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Posted by Duke Manywhether on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/BigDuke50/status/1559201662035705857

Duke Manywhether is a pretty respectable OL coach/guru. He posted the above video with the caption "DO NOT DO THIS". If you scroll down you can see Willie Anderson comment on it "leave me out of this" when he is tagged. Many are blasting the video.

I thought it was interesting.

Not good when former OL players like Geoff Schwartz and TJ Lang are bashing.

Schwartz - "Lol wtf"
Lang - "Hey Siri, why was Joe Burrow sacksed 70 times last season?"
Jeff Allen - "Hahahahaha"

As a follow-up to getting asked "Why," Duke said, "From the ground-up, it's ingraining bad habits, not realistic foot/ground contact. Strike-timing not realistic. For a player that specifically needs to sync his feet and hands while making a position switch, this is doing him a disservice."

If this drill is Pollack's idea, it's not going to make people believe he's an OL guru, for sure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:22 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: if Carman wasnt worse than the worst starting RG in the game, Bengals would be super bowl champs

Carman did not play in the Super Bowl.  How do you blame the loss on him?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: All these useless gadgets and practice equipment... And nothing to show for it. I tried to sound the alarm. Glad to see more come to realization that Pollack is all bells and whistles but no progress.

There was progress from 2020 to 2021.  In 2020 we did not even try to throw the ball down the field.  Burrow was getting sacked all the time in a dink-and-dunk offense.

In 2021 he still got sacked a lot, but he had lots of plays where he had time to drive the ball deep.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 06:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. That's what this is for.

But, it's odd that they throw medicine balls at him like it's a blocking drill.

For receivers they throw tennis balls, the idea is to make them work stabilizer muscles as it throws them off balance. My guess is the idea is the medicine ball is the same idea for lineman.
Reply/Quote
I'm concerned because this is the first time two coaches have ever disagreed about the effectiveness of a drill. Sarcasm  

I can see where the object of this might be to build ankle strength and improve balance while your brain is trying to process multiple things at once.  But I am not a coach.

I give Pollack the benefit of a doubt since the line improved over time with limited talent the last time he was here.  I'm hopeful that the problems on Friday were just guys out of position and with limited playing time together.  Accepting that they're not starting quality guys in any case.  Unfortunately, that includes Carman who is on the depth chart with the starters and we don't have a clear solution for that yet.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:23 PM)Roland Wrote: I'm concerned because this is the first time two coaches have ever disagreed about the effectiveness of a drill. Sarcasm  

I can see where the object of this might be to build ankle strength and improve balance while your brain is trying to process multiple things at once.  But I am not a coach.

I give Pollack the benefit of a doubt since the line improved over time with limited talent the last time he was here.  I'm hopeful that the problems on Friday were just guys out of position and with limited playing time together. Accepting that they're not starting quality guys in any case.  Unfortunately, that includes Carman who is on the depth chart with the starters and we don't have a clear solution for that yet.

I’m still not sure why they swapped sides for Adeniji and Prince in that game.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:22 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: if Carman wasnt worse than the worst starting RG in the game, Bengals would be super bowl champs

Carman did not play on offense in the Super Bowl.  He was held out of practice the week before with injury issues.

So you are blaming the Super Bowl loss on a injured player who did not even play?
Reply/Quote
So I read a lot of the comments and they seemed to be split about 50/50 on the benefits of this drill.

Maybe the old guys just don't like to see new stuff.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Carman did not play on offense in the Super Bowl.  He was held out of practice the week before with injury issues.

So you are blaming the Super Bowl loss on a injured player who did not even play?

no but you expect your 2nd round 5 star recruit guard to be better than Adeniji
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:46 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: no but you expect your 2nd round 5 star recruit guard to be better than Adeniji

He was struggling with injury issues.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was struggling with injury issues.  

so was Higgins and Logan Wilson
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So I read a lot of the comments and they seemed to be split about 50/50 on the benefits of this drill.

Maybe the old guys just don't like to see new stuff.

As did I, but only folks I'd ever heard of posted negatives. I think the most damning was when Big Willie didn't defend the drill.

WTS, I have 0 idea of the pros/cons; I can simply go by comments made by those who know more about it than me. I damn sure hope he doesn't put one of our starters on that device. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was struggling with injury issues.  

He was also struggling with not being very good issues. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He was also struggling with not being very good issues. 

Uh, no.  They don't hold players out of practice for that.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  I damn sure hope he doesn't put one of our starters on that device. 

Why?

This is not something Pollack invented.  There are comments from people who claim they had had trainers/therapists use these devices with them.
Reply/Quote