Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals OL drills getting slammed on twitter...
(08-15-2022, 08:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why?

This is not something Pollack invented.  There are comments from people who claim they had had trainers/therapists use these devices with them.
I'm no football coach, but I think putting a 300 lb plus guy on an unstable platform is a recipe for disaster and those comments came from folks I've heard of. 

If you think putting LC  or Jonah on a device such as that then that on you; I simply hope they do not. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In situations like this, I just wonder:
"What would Munoz say?"
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Did the piano man return?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 09:53 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Did the piano man return?

Yep. He was here last September.

[Image: 14414010-14414010.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.753x...size=640:*]

Reply/Quote
I don’t really see why this is apparently so preposterous, but if the lineman in the replies say so! Seems pretty tame
Reply/Quote
Quote:Context matters. Upper half is not the focus here. Developing joint stability and overall balance is one of the most overlooked aspects of player development. It's all about the ankles, knees, hips and core. Because it does no position any service to be lying on the turf.

Quote:Im laughing at the do not do this comment.

Its from people who haven't worked out since 1980 and have never been in physical shape to do this.

Hmm 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm really confused, what is the issue here? It looks like they are working on their balance. Seems like something that an NFL lineman should work on.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 07:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There was progress from 2020 to 2021.  In 2020 we did not even try to throw the ball down the field.  Burrow was getting sacked all the time in a dink-and-dunk offense.

In 2021 he still got sacked a lot, but he had lots of plays where he had time to drive the ball deep.

Burrow's intended air yards per pass attempt actually dropped from 8.5 in 2020 to 8.1 in 2021.

So no, the Bengals offense in 2021 actually attempted a shorter pass game.

Not to say Burrow didn't improve his deep ball accuracy (and accuracy overall) and did have more snaps where he spent more time in the pocket, but your statement is objectively false. It just seemed like a dink-and-dunk offense because Burrow was terrible at throwing the deep ball in 2020, both overthrowing and underthrowing guys. Also Ja'Marr Chase.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 03:39 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Burrow's intended air yards per pass attempt actually dropped from 8.5 in 2020 to 8.1 in 2021.

So no, the Bengals offense in 2021 actually attempted a shorter pass game.

Not to say Burrow didn't improve his deep ball accuracy (and accuracy overall) and did have more snaps where he spent more time in the pocket, but your statement is objectively false. It just seemed like a dink-and-dunk offense because Burrow was terrible at throwing the deep ball in 2020, both overthrowing and underthrowing guys. Also Ja'Marr Chase.

Using the mean does not tell you how many more times Burrow attempted to throw deep. You need the median or else actual number of deep passes by air yards.

I 100% guarantee Burrow threw the ball deep a lot more in 2021. Just need to find the actual numbers.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 04:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Using the mean does not tell you how many more times Burrow attempted to throw deep. You need the median or else actual number of deep passes by air yards.

I 100% guarantee Burrow threw the ball deep a lot more in 2021. Just need to find the actual numbers.

Except you didn't talk about number of deep balls. You said they "did not even try to throw the ball down the field" in a "dink-and-dunk offense".

Yet that offense under Burrow attempted more yards through the air per pass play than the 2021 one did. Was it successful? No. Did they TRY to throw the ball down the field? Yes.

So your claim is objectively false, Fred.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 05:25 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Except you didn't talk about number of deep balls. You said they "did not even try to throw the ball down the field" in a "dink-and-dunk offense".

Yet that offense under Burrow attempted more yards through the air per pass play than the 2021 one did. Was it successful? No. Did they TRY to throw the ball down the field? Yes.

So your claim is objectively false, Fred.

The claim that they never attempted to throw deep was an obvious exaggeration. We all saw Joe at least attempt a few deep passes in 2020 but it was not nearly as much as 2021 because he could not get enough time.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2022, 05:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think there's a lot of pressure on Pollack this year. If the OL doesn't improve especially with the new additions then he may be on the hot seat. 

He should be.... He has coached up exactly no one so far
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 08:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The claim that they never attempted to throw deep was an obvious exaggeration. We all saw Joe at least attempt a few deep passes in 2020 but it was not nearly as much as 2021 because he could not get enough time.

We also had Chase this year who's YAC production was incredible, that can't be overlooked.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 08:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The claim that they never attempted to throw deep was an obvious exaggeration. We all saw Joe at least attempt a few deep passes in 2020 but it was not nearly as much as 2021 because he could not get enough time.

You mentioned trying to find the numbers earlier, so here is deep passing data for the two seasons. I am not sure what "officially" counts as deep pass, but I am filtering for pass attempts >= 25 yards. 

Burrow only - 26 attempts (2020) or one deep pass per 15 dropbacks, 56 attempts (2021) or one deep pass per 11 dropbacks

Burrow & backups - 41 attempts (2020) or one deep pass per 13 attempts, 57 attempts (2021) or one deep pass per 12 dropbacks
Reply/Quote
Seems like a big guy could tweak a knee easily when becoming off balance on these.

Not blaming any O-line woes on this drill, but it just looks unsafe for giant men to me.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 09:58 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: You mentioned trying to find the numbers earlier, so here is deep passing data for the two seasons. I am not sure what "officially" counts as deep pass, but I am filtering for pass attempts >= 25 yards. 

Burrow only - 26 attempts (2020) or one deep pass per 15 dropbacks, 56 attempts (2021) or one deep pass per 11 dropbacks

Burrow & backups - 41 attempts (2020) or one deep pass per 13 attempts, 57 attempts (2021) or one deep pass per 12 dropbacks

is that the ball traveled in the Air more than 25 yards down field? or the completed pass yards gained was over 25?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 11:32 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: is that the ball traveled in the Air more than 25 yards down field? or the completed pass yards gained was over 25?

Ball traveled in the air. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 08:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: He should be.... He has coached up exactly no one so far

The guys who aren’t complete trash (Jonah, Spain, Reiff) all played well under him. And Mixon went to his first pro bowl with Pollack as the run game coordinator.

You can only “coach up” bad players so much. Let’s see what he can do with the majority of the line (4 out of 5 to be precise) being actual NFL caliber starters.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2022, 12:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The guys who aren’t complete trash (Jonah, Spain, Reiff) all played well under him. And Mixon went to his first pro bowl with Pollack as the run game coordinator.

You can only “coach up” bad players so much. Let’s see what he can do with the majority of the line (4 out of 5 to be precise) being actual NFL caliber starters.

Jonah was a High Draft pick that was just Healthy last year.  Spain and Reiff are Vets...

Pollack did do better with the run game but his OLers drafted and trained under him havent shown much...   And hes in the convo for the draft picks

Well it doesnt show much on Pollack as 4 of the 5 guys we already know can play on a High level...  so that has little to do with him

Never saw the Hype of Pollack and still dont
Reply/Quote
Wasn’t it Spain who was the turnstile for Donald on the last play of the SB? I know Donald is great but that was a pathetic block attempt. Surprised so many want Spain back because that left a bad memory of him for me. Maybe that’s why the team has not brought him back? Biggest play in the teams history and he completely whiffs on Donald. Looks like he reached to try to block him. I just can’t get over how bad he was on that play so I say roll with the rookie Volson and see how he does at LG.
Reply/Quote