Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals- One of the best over next 3 years?
Interesting article from Coley Harvey

How strong should the Cincinnati Bengals be across the next three years?

Pretty strong, according to a trio of ESPN's Insiders.

In ESPN's Future RankingsInsider that were published Tuesday, NFL Insiders Mike Sando, Louis Riddick and John Clayton broke down each of the 32 teams based upon how it appears their rosters, front offices and coaching staffs will look within three seasons. Several factors went into the rankings. The three voters were asked to rate teams on a 0-100 scale in five categories: roster (excluding quarterback), quarterback, draft, front office and coaching.

Receiver A.J. Green and the Bengals are expected to have a strong 2015 season, according to ESPN's future power rankings. Aaron Doster/USA TODAY Sports
Taking all of that into account, they ranked the Bengals eighth. That's up five spots from last offseason.

Although Sando noted the relatively high ranking primarily was the product of drops from teams like the Eagles, 49ers, Bears and Rams, the Bengals still had negligible changes in multiple areas from last year. The average of their rankings from Sando, Riddick and Clayton in three of the aforementioned categories practically stayed identical, while their non-quarterback roster slipped.

What helps the Bengals' three-year outlook the most? Sando believes it's their front office. He's probably right, considering the way director of player of personnel Duke Tobin has partnered with coach Marvin Lewis in recent years to make savvy decisions with respect to building the roster primarily through the draft.

Next offseason figures to be an important one for both men, not to mention executive vice president Katie Blackburn, team president Mike Brown's daughter who controls the majority of day-to-day team activities. Cincinnati currently has nearly 30 players who will be eligible for free agency next March, including Pro Bowlers A.J. Green and Andrew Whitworth, and rising stars George Iloka, Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu.

Because of the changes that could be coming to the roster in the coming year based on free agency, it's kind of surprising to see the Bengals projected to still have a top-10 team three years from now. They certainly do have a top-10 roster this season, and Tobin and Lewis are a major reason why.

Although there is no uncertainty about Lewis' contractual status entering this season -- he signed another one-year extension earlier this offseason -- it isn't set in stone he'll be in charge of the team three years from now. One has to imagine that eventually the Bengals' patience will wear thin if Lewis continues to get them to the playoffs and still can't manage a postseason win. His one-year extension also only has him under contract through 2016.

There's also uncertainty, as Riddick pointed out, about quarterback Andy Dalton's postseason play. His success across the next three years could dictate how strong the Bengals ultimately are, particularly if the Bengals are able to keep much of their current talent in place around him.
Reply/Quote
Oh there are some people going to be very upset that the Bengals front office is receiving props from the press because according to many Mike Brown is the antichrist and our front office is complete useless.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 04:13 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Oh there are some people going to be very upset that the Bengals front office is receiving props from the press because according to many Mike Brown is the antichrist and our front office is complete useless.

I think the argument to that would be 1991-2004 and/or the drafting of Akili Smith...or something to that effect.  I guess we only choose to mention the 90s when it comes to scaring people out of wanting to replace Marvin Lewis, eh?  I don't want to derail a positive thread, but lordy acting like Mike Brown doesn't have ample suckage on his resume?  For shame.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 04:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the argument to that would be 1991-2004 and/or the drafting of Akili Smith...or something to that effect.  I guess we only choose to mention the 90s when it comes to scaring people out of wanting to replace Marvin Lewis, eh?  I don't want to derail a positive thread, but lordy acting like Mike Brown doesn't have ample suckage on his resume?  For shame.

It is all about choices. You can choose to live in the past or move forward. I tend to agree with the article that the pairing of Tobin and Lewis has built one hell of a good young roster.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 05:00 PM)OSUfan Wrote: It is all about choices. You can choose to live in the past or move forward. I tend to agree with the article that the pairing of Tobin and Lewis has built one hell of a good young roster.

Tobin has been a godsend for us. It seems like our drafting strategy improved exponentially upon his arrival.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 04:13 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Oh there are some people going to be very upset that the Bengals front office is receiving props from the press because according to many Mike Brown is the antichrist and our front office is complete useless.

Your typical bringing absolutely zero to a thread. At least you are completely consistent I guess.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 05:00 PM)OSUfan Wrote: It is all about choices. You can choose to live in the past or move forward. I tend to agree with the article that the pairing of Tobin and Lewis has built one hell of a good young roster.

I'm not "living in the past" so much as saying it's perfectly logical for people to complain about the guy who helped this team stink so bad because he refused to bring Tobin and Lewis types aboard for over a decade.  The biggest credit we can give to Mike Browns is sort of getting out of the way of progress EVENTUALLY.

Some folks need to remember the past to fully appreciate the present/future.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 05:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not "living in the past" so much as saying it's perfectly logical for people to complain about the guy who helped this team stink so bad because he refused to bring Tobin and Lewis types aboard for over a decade.  The biggest credit we can give to Mike Browns is sort of getting out of the way of progress EVENTUALLY.

Some folks need to remember the past to fully appreciate the present/future.

Mike Brown doing less and less has no effect on why the Bengals are doing better, and better every year! Ninja
Reply/Quote
Imagine if Lewis was the GM/ director of Player Personnel ( a la Ozzie) and the Bengals had kept Zimmer as head coach? Things would look even better. Lewis can build a roster, but he can't produce when it matters most. Maybe ths year will be different...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 05:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: Your typical bringing absolutely zero to a thread. At least you are completely consistent I guess.

Which is weird because OSUFan is a HUGE AD nut huger and AD is totally INCONSISTENT.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 10:57 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Which is weird because OSUFan is a HUGE AD nut huger and AD is totally INCONSISTENT.

You could not be anymore off base. I have actually stated that Dalton needs to step up his game. Difference being I also am well aware that he is not the only player to shoulder blame for this teams lack of playoff success. However, feel free to carry on with your juvenile bullshit as I would not expect anything less............. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
But hey, lets get rid of Marvy because some new guy will be able to win a playoff game hurrrrrr durrrrrrr.....
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 08:30 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: But hey, lets get rid of Marvy because some new guy will be able to win a playoff game hurrrrrr durrrrrrr.....

Being a Bengals fan is a real trip.  I can't imagine telling the fan of any non-Browns team that there is no way we can win a playoff game if we replace the guy who is 0-6 in the postseason and not being laughed at.
Reply/Quote
I'm laughing at the fact you want to blame 6 losses on a guy not even on the field. You must watch a lot of football. Yeah, being a Bengals fan is a total trip. Reading responses from clueless 'fans' is even more of a trip.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 10:10 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: I'm laughing at the fact you want to blame 6 losses on a guy not even on the field.  You must watch a lot of football.  Yeah, being a Bengals fan is a total trip.  Reading responses from clueless 'fans' is even more of a trip.

Is Robert Geathers the reason we lost all 6 playoff games? He's the only one who has been on the field for all 6 playoff games. I guess the coach get's a free pass, because he's not on the field playing Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 10:10 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: I'm laughing at the fact you want to blame 6 losses on a guy not even on the field.  You must watch a lot of football.  Yeah, being a Bengals fan is a total trip.  Reading responses from clueless 'fans' is even more of a trip.

Wouldn't it be more insulting for you to tell me that I watch a lot of football but I'm so stupid that I STILL don't understand anything about it?

I mean, if you want to insult me you should really make it count.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, because anyone who doesn't agree with you is a moron, and a clueless "fan", who knows nothing about football.  You're a trip.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 11:33 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Wouldn't it be more insulting for you to tell me that I watch a lot of football but I'm so stupid that I STILL don't understand anything about it?

I mean, if you want to insult me you should really make it count.

Marvin Lewis isn't on the field of play.  Great post though.

(07-02-2015, 11:34 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah, because anyone who doesn't agree with you is a moron, and a clueless "fan", who knows nothing about football.  You're a trip.  

No, but the more I read of you tells me which category you fall in.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2015, 04:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  I think the argument to that would be 1991-2004 and/or the drafting of Akili Smith...or something to that effect.  I guess we only choose to mention the 90s when it comes to scaring people out of wanting to replace Marvin Lewis, eh?  I don't want to derail a positive thread, but lordy acting like Mike Brown doesn't have ample suckage on his resume?  For shame.

(07-02-2015, 09:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Being a Bengals fan is a real trip.  I can't imagine telling the fan of any non-Browns team that there is no way we can win a playoff game if we replace the guy who is 0-6 in the postseason and not being laughed at.

Clapping
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
On paper we are strong. On the field, however....
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote