Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals PFF Roster Grades
I picked this up on a facebook group and figured you guys would like it.  Obviously it doesn't have Andre smith on it yet.  They also have Clarke Listed at DT so take that into account.  

[Image: 17156036_10208560537754156_4461309565275...e=59685E74]

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Thanks! Yowza, those grades for our new starting tackles though...

I'm sure Fred will disagree with that terrible grade on Michael Johnson as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Those tackle grades are pretty scary, but we all knew it. Kind of interesting that Shaw grades out almost as well as Kirkpatrick though.
Reply/Quote
Bodine grades out higher than Boling, LaFell, Bernard, and Kirkpatrick?

Shawn Williams graded out higher than Andy Dalton?

Very interesting.

Anyone know how they come up with these numbers?
Reply/Quote
Grades of a team that will be lucky to win 5 games.

Stunned that Bodine was graded as high as he is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 01:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bodine grades out higher than Boling, LaFell, Bernard, and Kirkpatrick.

Very interesting.

Anyone know how they come up with these numbers?

Shrug.  I would assume they calculate it by that seasons stats

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/how-we-grade/

Reply/Quote
We all know Michael Johnson sucks giant donkey balls and oggieboogie as well . FRED will be coming on shortly and disputing these facts . But but but........
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 01:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: Shrug.  I would assume they calculate it by that seasons stats

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/how-we-grade/

Why would you assume it was based on any stats when you post a link showing that is all completely subjective judgement.

A QB complets a pass to a receiver.  How do you decide if that is a "0", a ".5". a "1.0", a "1.5". or a "2.0"?  What is the difference that accounts for all the different grades?

It is all subjective.  they just give better grades to the teams and players that they like.

Then they plug these subjective grades in a garbage formula that gives them a "gross total".  under this formula it is possible for player A to play fewer snaps than player B and mess up more often than player B and still be ranked ahead of player B.

PFF keeps track of some interesting stats, but their individual rankings are total garbage.  the judgments are subject instead of objective, and then they plug these subjective grades into a formula that is flawed.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 01:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We all know Michael Johnson sucks giant donkey balls     and oggieboogie as well   .   FRED will be coming on shortly and disputing these facts   .  But but but........

He's already here. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 01:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's already here. 

Damn    .spoke to soon
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 01:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We all know Michael Johnson sucks giant donkey balls     and oggieboogie as well   .   FRED will be coming on shortly and disputing these facts   .  But but but........

You are entiled to your opinion.  But please explain why your opinion is superior to mine.  What experience do you have in playing, coaching, or scouting football players that gives your opinion any weight or credibility?

I post "facts" to back up my opinion.  Like last year when I educated you all on how well Kirkpatrick really played in '15.

I do the same with MJ.  Based on production he was a top 30 DE last year.  Based on the opinion of professional NFL coaches with years of experience he does not "suck giant donkey balls".  And you have nothing to refute that. 
Reply/Quote
Looks like this is going to be another one of those threads where everyone jumps in to bash me, yet not one single person actually posts any stats or info that shows that i am wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:40 PM)Okeana Wrote: I picked this up on a facebook group and figured you guys would like it.  Obviously it doesn't have Andre smith on it yet.  They also have Clarke Listed at DT so take that into account.  

About the way I would envision their grades, although I am pleasantly surprised at Vinnie Rey....not that I thought he was a turd, cause he isn't.....I just would have pegged him in the low 70s.  Williams surprised me too.  Ol' "30th ranked DE" struggled a bit more than I thought....but other than that, these numbers don't surprise me on defense.

On offense?  I would never have dreamed that Bodine would rank that high.  Zeitler musta got the blame for some of his eff ups! Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
As for Andy Dalton, how does PFF let sacks affect net yards and rushing?  Cause Dalton got the shit knocked out of him....

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why would you assume it was based on any stats when you post a link showing that is all completely subjective judgement.

A QB complets a pass to a receiver.  How do you decide if that is a "0", a ".5". a "1.0", a "1.5". or a "2.0"?  What is the difference that accounts for all the different grades?

It is all subjective.  they just give better grades to the teams and players that they like.

Then they plug these subjective grades in a garbage formula that gives them a "gross total".  under this formula it is possible for player A to play fewer snaps than player B and mess up more often than player B and still be ranked ahead of player B.

PFF keeps track of some interesting stats, but their individual rankings are total garbage.  the judgments are subject instead of objective, and then they plug these subjective grades into a formula that is flawed.
I think its totally ludicrous to go to an extreme of saying their grades are based off favoritism.  You think these guys sat down and said "  I like Bodine because he has a beard and lets grade him higher than the baby face Boling" ?  Stats also don't show an entire picture because it doesn't take into account level of competition across from that position.  There are flaws with any system.  I would think each position would have varying guidelines that they have set up to dictate the grade.  They also cross reference it between 3 guys and then a coach.  Just because they don't give their entire system away doesn't mean they don't have specific factors they use based on the position to grade out each player.  

What grades on this particular chart do you have issue with ?  What stats are you using to dispute these grades ?  

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Looks like this is going to be another one of those threads where everyone jumps in to bash me, yet not one single person actually posts any stats or info that shows that i am wrong.

People post things all the time that prove that you are wrong. When they do, you usually stop responding and go MIA from the thread. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don't even know where to start. Some of these roster grades are ridiculously inaccurate.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 02:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: People post things all the time that prove that you are wrong. When they do, you usually stop responding and go MIA from the thread. 

You already know...... LMAO

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:40 PM)Okeana Wrote: I picked this up on a facebook group and figured you guys would like it.  Obviously it doesn't have Andre smith on it yet.  They also have Clarke Listed at DT so take that into account.  

I'm surprised to see Bodine so high. I wonder if number of snaps contributes to this ranking...?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Looks like this is going to be another one of those threads where everyone jumps in to bash me, yet not one single person actually posts any stats or info that shows that i am wrong.

people want to bash and speak negatively of every aspect of the team right now.... its how it goes every offseason usually
Reply/Quote